Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2005, 04:44 PM   #46
Pinarretta
Bus driver

Oddometer: 458
Just FYI, I ordered mine (years ago) and asked them to leave off the little logo on the crotchflap, which they did. I think it look a lot better.

I feel a lot more like I do now than I did when I first got here.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant.
Pinarretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #47
MikeCont
Gelande Strasse Gebrochen

Oddometer: 2,024
I ordered in Nov, and received in late Jan.

I bought Motoport stuff.....Kevlar UltraII in safety yellow with extra reflective tape, and black pants, ditto....actually I can't remember what the pants are made of, but they look like Gringo's. As an aside, Gringo is one tough customer.
I went through the website thing. I talked to Wayne. I waited for more than 8 weeks. I was a noob and didn't know what to expect....what was good or bad. I just researched on the net and, as I recall, I used the recommendation of Jeff Dean (yup, he writes in ON, but also has a good website). I called Wayne, and he helped me through the measurements. The suit came and I put it on and rode. I rode with the liners in 30 degree weather. I rode this week to Utah and Idaho in temperatures up to 105. I have ridden in the rain with no inner rain gear on. I think the stuff stands up and will order another.
The fit and finish? Great zippers. Lotsa velcro. The neck is fine. Good padding. Easy to put on. I had no trouble wearing a Camelback underneath. The coat is bright and hideous. A white helmet and a florescent yellow jacket isn't my idea of "stylin," and clashes with my red GS, but I want function.
One usually has to wait for good stuff. I was patient, and idiosyncratic Motoport came through. Some of the best craftsmen are a little hard to deal with. Wayne was easy, but if you have a schedule, buy the crappier stuff and skip the Motoport. If you want an excellent quality versatile protective suit, buy the Motoport. I am not as scientific, but sometimes the advice of expert riders like Jeff Dean is the best insurance.

Me in February or so:

Oh yeah. Thanks for the writeup although we were both a little and...the yellow Motoport is no uglier than my Russell seat.
MikeCont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:07 PM   #48
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Having had a Russel for about an hour, I'd have to disagree~

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:47 PM   #49
Whammo
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,180
Fitting and measuring of the pants

Any proud owners have any advice as to how they made the pants fit? The measurements they need and the procedure listed on the site is easy enough, just looking for some pointers.
thnx
Old 08-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #50
LarryGS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
sizing - pants

I did the measurements myself and was unsure about my accuracy, so I got the porto phone and measure tape (tailor's kind) and got on the phone with Wayne. Worked out well re: knee pad placement, etc.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #51
MikeCont
Gelande Strasse Gebrochen

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGS
I did the measurements myself and was unsure about my accuracy, so I got the porto phone and measure tape (tailor's kind) and got on the phone with Wayne. Worked out well re: knee pad placement, etc.
I agree. Let Wayne walk you through it.
MikeCont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #52
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCont
I agree. Let Wayne walk you through it.
I just got my Ultra 11 Mesh. Nice stuff but the knee armour hits me just below my knee cap when standing
Old 08-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #53
Gringo OP
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
mine did that too at first. After awhile the fabric broke in somewhat and now it seems to stay where it belongs. It's just right on the bike though...

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:39 AM   #54
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
mine did that too at first. After awhile the fabric broke in somewhat and now it seems to stay where it belongs. It's just right on the bike though...
Thanks Gringo, sure hope the stuff get a little more soft and flexible with time.
The gear is really great and as advertised. Just gotta bitch a little
Old 08-11-2005, 10:39 AM   #55
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by azabeemerboy
Thanks Gringo, sure hope the stuff get a little more soft and flexible with time.
The gear is really great and as advertised. Just gotta bitch a little
If you ever get a chance, I would love to look at what you ended up with in person. I have only looked at one of their jackets briefly a few years ago. I am thinking about going this route as well....

thanks! -Ron

Kurt Vonnegut
rcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #56
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcompton
If you ever get a chance, I would love to look at what you ended up with in person. I have only looked at one of their jackets briefly a few years ago. I am thinking about going this route as well....

thanks! -Ron
Be happy to do it. I live in East Cobb but can meet you anywhere.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:08 AM   #57
rcompton
I am not Iron Man

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by azabeemerboy
Be happy to do it. I live in East Cobb but can meet you anywhere.

I am in E Cobb as well,off Lower Roswell near Indian Hills. Maybe we could hook up for coffee or something.... will PM you.

Kurt Vonnegut
rcompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #58
ra2bach
drive-by poster

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcompton
I am in E Cobb as well,off Lower Roswell near Indian Hills. Maybe we could hook up for coffee or something.... will PM you.
me too, me too! Ok, I'm not in east Cobb anymore (used to live of Johnson's ferry and paper Mill) but i go over that way a lot. count me in??

"having dreams to look forward to slows time..."

-- Freeflow

ra2bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #59
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
Any update on the suit in the hot weather?

Gringo,

It's been plenty hot in Mass lately. I was hoping you could update us with a little more detail on how well the suit handles all this heat.

I'm wondering if the difference between the aerostich and the motoport kevlar is a small step of improvement or does it seem like a *big* step of improvement in the heat?

Your thoughts are appreciated, man! Rock on.

sam

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #60
Gringo OP
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Without question the Motoport is a huge improvement over the Aerostitch in hot weather. Riding to work at 35-40mph I don't get alot of air flowing through the stretch kevlar fabric, but the jacket's simple ventilation features are more than adequate. The pants are a bit hotter than the jacket at slow speeds, but I just realized that I have yet to try opening the side pocket vents.

At highway speeds the flow-thru ventilation kicks in and things get real nice. I close the vents and let the fabric do the work, and I still catch myself revelling in the all-over cool breeze and comfort. I have to pause and remember how it felt having my knees pasted to the inside of the pads and my ass on fire to realize how good I've got it now.

I'm quite impressed so far; I spend zero time being distracted by discomfort and all my time just enjoying the ride. I can't wait to see how it'll do in sub-freezing weather.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote