ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #691
zed88
n00bilicious
 
zed88's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Pingree grove il nw chicago
Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaulken

I am also aghast that the pants and jacket don't zip together. The cheapest motorcycling gear you can find has a zipper system or a belt snap system.
Ughh your experience sounds very lousy. Since your sending it back I should let you know that for $30 you can get a full waist zipper that goes all the way around the jacket/pants and will keep them together. Its a big robust zipper same as the one on the front of the jacket.
zed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #692
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket
 
DrFaulken's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
The knee armor was the one measurement that Wayne specifically asked for. Have you tried it when sitting on the bike?
I was so concerned about the knee measurement that I called twice. Given how the rest of my order turned out, it's the least of my worries. Still, for the price and the wait I expected more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed88
Ughh your experience sounds very lousy. Since your sending it back I should let you know that for $30 you can get a full waist zipper that goes all the way around the jacket/pants and will keep them together. Its a big robust zipper same as the one on the front of the jacket.
Thank you for the info. If I wind up sending the pants back too I might have them do that. However, that's the kind of thing that should be included with the jacket as part of the cost. My Tourmaster textile set cost about $200 shipped and has a 1/2 circumference zipper. Why doesn't my $1200 Motoport gear?

I was trying to find a silver lining tonight and showed my pants to one of my riding friends. I was so impressed with how easy the pants were to get on and off, the system seemed great. And then the right leg zipper got stuck, and I had to take my boot off to "escape."

Depending on how tomorrow goes I might be sending the whole thing back for a refund.
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #693
uncreative
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 299
what is up with this gear? i read a couple of posts and get all convinced to buy, and then i see a post like above and it seems like it didnt even come from the same company! is QA seriously deficient? or do you think it is wildly different end user expectations?
uncreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #694
BMRHD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BMRHD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Country of Oregon
Oddometer: 175
2 Cents

Just got my Airmesh jacket in and it left for a trip. The jacket fit very well right out of the box but took about 1000 miles for the armor to settle in.

Must say that i was very pleased with the performance of the jacket. I rode in everything from 45 degree temps to 100+ degree temps. The liner fits great and works well without adding bulk. When the temps got above 90, i put my cooling vest on underneath my jacket - that really did the trick. While the others were cooking, i was very comfortable.

Only complaint i have, which is a minor one, is the snaps on the liner sleeves are extremely tight - so much so that one broke trying to get it disconnected. I put some soap on them and that helped but will have to send the liner back to have the snap repaired. Very minor issue over all.

Customer service in ordering the jacket and liners was great. I needed it for a trip and they were able to make it with a bit of time to spare.

This will certainly be a year round jacket for me. Probably one the of the most versatile jackets i have owned and made with a great deal of quality. By the way, i went for the upgraded armor. Not sure that was necessary, but gotta tell you that it is some fine looking armor and extremely comfortable.
BMRHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #695
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRHD
Just got my Airmesh jacket in and it left for a trip. The jacket fit very well right out of the box but took about 1000 miles for the armor to settle in.

Must say that i was very pleased with the performance of the jacket. I rode in everything from 45 degree temps to 100+ degree temps. The liner fits great and works well without adding bulk. When the temps got above 90, i put my cooling vest on underneath my jacket - that really did the trick. While the others were cooking, i was very comfortable.

Only complaint i have, which is a minor one, is the snaps on the liner sleeves are extremely tight - so much so that one broke trying to get it disconnected. I put some soap on them and that helped but will have to send the liner back to have the snap repaired. Very minor issue over all.

Customer service in ordering the jacket and liners was great. I needed it for a trip and they were able to make it with a bit of time to spare.

This will certainly be a year round jacket for me. Probably one the of the most versatile jackets i have owned and made with a great deal of quality. By the way, i went for the upgraded armor. Not sure that was necessary, but gotta tell you that it is some fine looking armor and extremely comfortable.
My experience is the same as yours, I even broke a snap, but fixed it myself.


But I don't doubt the bad experience of the Dr. at all. There are always going to be problems.

I think Motoport has a zipper between the pants and jacket, standard, when you get the waist cut jacket instead of the 3/4 length.

My Aerositch Darien jacket and pants didn't come with a zipper between them standard either.
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #696
soloyosh
Dad and husband
 
soloyosh's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: LHC, AZ
Oddometer: 5,475
Does anyone have a 3/4 legth Motoport jacket the zips to the pants?
__________________
2007 Aprilia RXV 5.5
soloyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #697
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket
 
DrFaulken's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 206
I talked with Motoport today and the lady on the phone was VERY nice. I expressed my concerns about the jacket fit. She told me they had a 44 chest size on file, which is what I sent them. I measured myself last night after trying on the jacket and found my actual measurement to be a 43. I told her that my Teknic leather jacket is a 44 and fits a bit snug in the shoulders (I have an ape's arms and back) and couldn't understand how the difference between a 43 and a 44 would equate to five inches of gathered material in the chest.

After I described the rest of the fit issues she said they'd just build me a jacket off of a medium body and use my sleeve lengths. I think it would be awesome if they just took the arms off of my current jacket and stitched it onto a medium body :)

She was also concerned about the knee armor placement. She said they may have to move the thigh armor up as well, and that would require sending the pants back. I am going to try to see what I can do before I send the stuff back tomorrow, I'd really like to keep the pants as a birthday consolation prize to myself. Otherwise it's going to be a two week turnaround + ship time (probably a month by my estimation).

I asked about the pant-jacket zipper, and they really downplayed the usefulness of it. Perhaps a properly-sized jacket would keep it from moving up and down so much, but I think zipping the jacket to the pants would help also.

I requested the gloves in size large and asked them to bill my CC and cross-ship the new pair out right away. She waived shipping, which I thought was nice.

Hopefully all is well that ends well. I think they are just busy over there, which may account for the order mishaps with myself and my friend. They told her to binder-clip all of the places they need to alter and send it back.
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #698
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew
 
ikonoklass's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 2,601
FYI, my Motoport waist-cut jacket and pants zip together. You have to order the zipper! I agree that it's an important feature. Also, my knee armor sits very low, too, until I'm on the bike. Then it's right over my knees.
__________________
2012 Speed Triple
2005 R1200GS
1998 FXDL
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #699
gssurfer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Bethlehem Twp. Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 141
Question

Does anyone have any pics of the new Tri-Armor?
gssurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #700
vales1
Adventurer
 
vales1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureGJS
Does anyone have any pics of the new Tri-Armor?
If you're referring to the original Tri Armor, it looks like plastic sandwiched between foam pads. Now if you're referring to the new Quad Armor, it looks similar to a Forcefield Tpro armor backed by tri armor.
vales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #701
soloyosh
Dad and husband
 
soloyosh's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: LHC, AZ
Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaulken
I asked about the pant-jacket zipper, and they really downplayed the usefulness of it. Perhaps a properly-sized jacket would keep it from moving up and down so much, but I think zipping the jacket to the pants would help also.
Are you going to have them do the zip?
__________________
2007 Aprilia RXV 5.5
soloyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #702
gssurfer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Bethlehem Twp. Pennsylvania
Oddometer: 141
Thanks vales1,

That is what I meant although I do not know what the Forcefield Tpro armor look like either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vales1
If you're referring to the original Tri Armor, it looks like plastic sandwiched between foam pads. Now if you're referring to the new Quad Armor, it looks similar to a Forcefield Tpro armor backed by tri armor.
gssurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #703
KimR
Gnarly Adventurer
 
KimR's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 147
Got the Airmesh jacket and pants about a month ago. Very satisifed, particularly in our hot humid weather. Haven't had a need to try the liners yet. Only complaint is that the spine pad is a tad long. When I'm on the bike, the bottom rest on the pillion seat and the top pushes up on the back of my helmet. I've e-mailed Wayne twice about this but haven't received a reply.
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #704
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Racerman27410's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Greensboro NC
Oddometer: 365
quad armor pics

here are a couple of pics i took of the armor....







the piece was left over after i modified the thigh armor a bit where it was getting bound up behind my knees when on the bike

KOokaloo!

Frank
Racerman27410 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #705
vales1
Adventurer
 
vales1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimR
I've e-mailed Wayne twice about this but haven't received a reply.
He's pretty good at responding to emails.....provided he gets to them. I emailed him my requirements for the Jacket and I didn't get a reply, so I called him up instead. There must be tons of people emailing him bec. he was looking for my email while we were on the phone and it took him awhile to find it (and I just emailed him a few hours earlier). So I suggest, make good use of their 800 number
vales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014