Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2005, 05:52 AM   #61
ChrisE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Coming in a bit late on this thread, I've owned two Motoport GP-2 suits that I used for street riding and track days. I had the unfortunate situation of being able to test their crash protection, once in 2000 and again in 2002 at Mosport, both in the same suit.

2000, I low sided at the top of turn two, probably doing about 80mph. I slid about 30 yards on the track and on entering the run off area stated tumbling. I guess I tumbled about 3 times before I figured what was going on. I wad basically bouncing on my left shoulder and rigtht knee as I tumbled. I figured I would feel all bruised up and stiff but the next day I had none of these symptons.

2002, wearing the same suit, I low sided in turn 9 and slid about 35 yards on my belly, probably doing about 70mph when the front tucked.

Both occasions, under the suit, all I was wearing was a tee shirt and underwear.

I suffered no skin abrasions or burns and the suit just about wore through in a couple of places, but this was where there was the armor protection so it didn't get down to my skin.

After the second crash, with them both being left handers, I replaced the suit with another one.

I give the suit two thumbs up for the crash protection.
Next day I was amazed can remember contacting
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #62
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
Without question the Motoport is a huge improvement over the Aerostitch in hot weather. Riding to work at 35-40mph I don't get alot of air flowing through the stretch kevlar fabric, but the jacket's simple ventilation features are more than adequate. The pants are a bit hotter than the jacket at slow speeds, but I just realized that I have yet to try opening the side pocket vents.

At highway speeds the flow-thru ventilation kicks in and things get real nice. I close the vents and let the fabric do the work, and I still catch myself revelling in the all-over cool breeze and comfort. I have to pause and remember how it felt having my knees pasted to the inside of the pads and my ass on fire to realize how good I've got it now.
Thanks for the response!

Back to pondering my options.

(The good news is that all the options are looking good. But which one is the BEST?!?)

:-)

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:53 AM   #63
klrmtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
I purchased both the Ultra II Cordura Jacket and pants over the winter as my first set. I couldn't be happier with the performance of them. I have ridden from 28 to 100 in the midwest and have only been hot while sitting at a stop light. The material holds up well in the rain, though after applying some 303 fabric guard as Motoport suggests, the mesh fabric is waterproof, though it will get to you quickly without the liner. The material drys quickly if you have applied the fabric guard. I find the pants to be a little hotter than the jacket, mainly due to the pads that block more airflow. My procedure for getting the pants on is to remove my boots first and only unzip the legs to just above the boots and unzip the full zipper from my waist down about 6 inches. I do this both with the liner or without. It is very easy to step in and then zip up, takes a total of 30 seconds to get the pants on and then put boots on and zip up. I would gladly purchase from Motoport again, and will look into the Kevlar and reuse the liners I already have.
Jason
klrmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:50 PM   #64
biodegraded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Gringo, I've been through this thread at least 6 times the past couple weeks - many thanks for writing it up.

If I could nudge you a bit, I'd still like to see pics of the liners, especially how the thermal part attaches to the gore-tex part attaches to the kevlar part. How does that work out? While I can easily envision and appreciate the utility such a system provides, it sounds, um..., fussy or busy. There must be a lot of zippers, snaps and velcro with the potential to be not very robust as fiddly things tend to be.

Thanks again for the very useful report.
biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:03 PM   #65
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Gringo and Smurf (his pocket-sized wife) are on the road on their bikes for the next week or so... off to parts unknown. Last I heard was something about a secret campsite in VT- followed by Pittsburgh NH and somewhere in suthern Quebec~ or not. They didn't have a plan- or a map. Back on sunday night, IIRC>

The liner zips in and out. From what he's told me, you can zip in the thermal liner with the goretex in place, or just the goretex- but you need the goretex for the thermal. Said you'd want that anyway to stop the wind before it hit the insulation. Makes sense. He didn't seem to have any trouble "fiddling" with it~ I'm sure he'll chime in and update the thread if they get caught in any deluge this week- he hasn't done any rain riding with it up 'till now.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:23 AM   #66
biodegraded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Thanks for heads-up and info, Jabba; will wait till post when he gets back.
biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #67
PJveetwin
LD-Ordie

Oddometer: 370
I'm a little behind on this thread, but I'll ad my experience using Motoport gear

I have been using the Ultra II mesh jacket and the Street cut Kevlar pants for over 50,000 miles in all kinds of weather and found them, as others have said, the best riding gear, hands down I have ever experienced. I choose the mesh over the stretch because of the area I live in and the need for max air flow. I have experienced thousands of miles in both the 20’s and 120 degree in total comfort…well, nothing is going to feel great at 120, It’s damn hot!! But at 110 and moving, it’s surprisingly comfortable. Of course once you stop, It’s going to be hot.

I have found the gear to be the most versified available. Using the Gortex liners, I’m 100% dry in the rain, and with the proper layers, comfortable in extreme cold. Having to install or remove the pants liner on the road, I’ll admit, is a pain, but for the ability to be comfortable while only needing one set of riding gear, is worth it. While traveling, I generally try to plan at the beginning of the day whether the bottom liner will be needed or not. I have also not found the need for them until it gets in the mid 50”s while only wearing riding shorts underneath.

I personally do not see the need to purchase the thermal liners. I have the jacket liner and it does a good job of keeping me warm, but then if you get somewhere that is not cold enough to need the jacket while off the bike, then all you have on is your base layers, which is sometimes not enough. A person could leave the liner unzipped from the jacket, and although they are very functional, I definitely would not consider it very stylish. I much prefer using a good fleece as a liner and part of my layering and the jacket as an outer shell.

For the pants, I choose the street cut instead of the over pants. Just a personal choice. They were very easy to size, as I sent a pair of jeans as a pattern, and that’s how they came back. Someone a while back asked about mixing the stretch with the mesh. I had Wayne use the mesh as the entire front and the stretch for the entire rear. Again, I wanted maximum air flow for the intense heat that I live in.

When this stuff wears out, I’ll definitely buy the same thing again, although I understand that may be a while. They are also fully guaranteed for 7 years. That’s almost unheard of. I think most of us would experience closet shrinkage before that happened.

Jim

Member of "Team Pterodactyl"
Combat Touring!!

05-FJR 1300
05-650 Dakar
03-1150 GS Sport
70-FLH Shovelhead
50-FL Panhead
76- Bultaco 370 Pursang
98-Yamaha TW200
84-Yamaha TT-600
56-650 Triumph T-120, needs work......
1964 Land Rover Series IIA Gotta have at least one car
PJveetwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #68
Gringo OP
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
I'm back from my first trip living with the suit on the road, and loved it! Rained off and on all week but I never got to test the suit in heavy rain. But light off-and-on rain is perhaps as complicated a dressing challenge on a bike - how to stay dry without cooking inside your clothes. This suit was very comfortable with the liners over a T-shirt and light pants with temps in the 60's -lower 70's, but getting into the upper 70's it was a tad warm - about how the stitch was all the time on warmer, dry days. I have to say the 'stitch is certainly a bit more convenient in warm, light rains - pop open a zipper if you get overheated - but the motoport still has it beat for comfort by a very wide margin overall.

Jabba had it right - gore-tex zips into jacket, thermal liner zips into Gore-tex; each layer has a different size/type zipper so you can't screw it up or get creative. The offsets, overlaps, etc. are well placed. The only real fussy part is at the end of the sleeves with all the layers on - though there are snaps and loops to try to hold it all together, there's alot going on. Each layer CAN be worn alone, which was pretty useful - I wore the gore-tex around camp when it rained and except for the dorky looking extra zippers on the front it's a very serviceable rain jacket. I wore the thermal liner as a sweater and used it as a pillow every night, stuffed in my helmet bag.

While I never soaked the outer jacket to the point where the suit felt heavy or dripping wet, I did get it wet enough to believe it won't be a huge issue. When we got home I tossed it in the washing machine for the first time and water beaded up on it - so I'll wait to put the NikWax to it. I hung it up outdoors and in about 4-5 hours in the shade it was totally dry. And while they say you don't need to take the armor out to wash it, the armor makes it a tight fit in my top-load washer, and worse, it floats - so I pulled the bigger pieces out.

will try to get a few pics of the liner zip-in operation in the next couple of days.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #69
jetshusband
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Motoport & 2006 Goldwing

Good Afternoon (Conn. Time)

New today to site, First Post. Wayne from Motoport referred me to site. I gave him a deposit and am on list for April Delivery of Jacket w/two liners, and pants with liner.

I also have on order a 2006 Goldwing. As some of you might know the Wing has great wind protection and also a vent on the windshield that directs a lot of air to the body in hot weather. (I totaled my 2004 Wing at very low speed when hit by a car making a left hand turn in front of me in a downtown traffic situation)

I live and ride mostly in New England and weather is almost the same as Gringo's in Boston area.

Question: In your humble opinions, with the protection and venting of Goldwing's windshield available to me; what type of suits do you reccomend that I purchase... I have not chosen the type of suit yet.

1. Mesh

2. Stretch Vevlar

V.P Biker from Ct.
jetshusband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #70
mariner76e
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Please show jackets

Just found this thread and thanks to Gringo for starting it. Been thinking about a Motoport kevlar jacket & pants but been hesitant coz I need better photos and info than their website. Thanks Gringo for the photos. How about you other guys? Could you post close-up & full body of your jackets & pants? Am interested in the color combos also. This thread has been great on info. Thanks.
mariner76e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #71
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Weird. I dug this one up just today.
Maybe you saw it referred to in my thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118667

Basically, the same thing before I found this one in the archives.

From what I've gathered, the stretch Kevlar lets LESS air through than the standard kevlar. However, it appears that the stretch kevlar is a bit more comfortable.

Gringo says something about that in his review. I'm debating myself which to buy since I'm down here in Florida.

FYI: there's a used pair on ebay right now and a link to the auction I put in the "flea market" section of this site.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #72
Steve Glenn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Sorry no pics, but I have both the Strech Kevlar and the Mesh Kevlar, in hot weather ridding a Goldwing screen the Mesh Kevlar is the way to go you can see right through the material. The material is a little stiff at first but will soffin up as you put on miles. The Strech Kevlar is my favorite very comfortable right out of the box. You can't go wrong with either suit, both are vey well made.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #73
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Stretch kevlar is solid fabric- but the weave allows some air to pass through. The other stuff is mesh (see his pic of the swatches on page one of this thread?) and does not stretch at all. I'd think the mesh stuff with the goretex liners would be perfect for riding in florida. The stretch stuff is gonna be too heavy for most of the year down there IMHO.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #74
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,637
Thumb Motoport Kevlar II suit is the BEST!

I have two Ultra II Kevlar Jackets with matching pants not the air mesh. I have rode in 120-28 degrees and they are versitle enough. Use a neck cooler (cool rider) in the heat and a electric vest in the cold and you are set up. The reason I chose Motoport? Due to the Kevlar and the removable Gore-Tex liners. I have the removable Gore-Tex liners but prefer the Motoport Soma over suit its less hasle to put on. Aerostich is like a sweat suit in the heat.

Hotmamaandme screwed with this post 02-13-2006 at 09:28 AM
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #75
Gringo OP
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Stretch kevlar is solid fabric- but the weave allows some air to pass through. The other stuff is mesh (see his pic of the swatches on page one of this thread?) and does not stretch at all. I'd think the mesh stuff with the goretex liners would be perfect for riding in florida. The stretch stuff is gonna be too heavy for most of the year down there IMHO.

For FL you want the mesh - it's like a screen door, the air goes right through it, but you get all the crash protection of any other suit, or more. The stretch kevlar fabric breathes like heavy denim.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote