Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #766
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbh
I bought the liners but haven't taken them on a trip-they take up a lot of room! I wouldn't buy them. I bought a set of FrogTogs at Bass Pro Shop for $40 and like them a lot better. They probably won't be as warm as the Cycleport liners. Ian, Iowa

Do you wear the togs under or over? I'm more curious how people feel about the water proofness being under the jacket instead of over.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #767
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
So all of you fellas with Motoport, what do you think of the liners? I just got the rain liners for the jacket and pants. I haven't had a chance to ride in the rain with them, but it's been pretty cool here, and have been using them because the mesh is too cool below 65 degrees.
I rode with my air mesh pants on up 288 this morning, it was in the low 50s when I left the house. I wear khaki pants underneath and the temperature felt pretty good. I don't have the liner in yet.

I bought them for cold temperature riding. I have a pair of Frogg Toggs that I keep in my side case, and use them as overpants only. They would be too baggy to comfortably fit inside the Motoport pant WITH my pants on.

I'll have to give the Motoport liner a dry run. I'm curious to see how it may complicate putting the pants on, especially since I had to up-armor the knees so they'd fit properly.
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #768
gssurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Only used them once in the rain so far, kept very dry without overheating. I would say they are too hot above 85 degrees though. Overall I do like them...

Quote:
So all of you fellas with Motoport, what do you think of the liners? I just got the rain liners for the jacket and pants. I haven't had a chance to ride in the rain with them, but it's been pretty cool here, and have been using them because the mesh is too cool below 65 degrees.

My impression so far is that they fit the garmets very well. With everything attached it's like getting into the pants twice. Same ease of entry as just the pants, but you've got to two twice the number of zippers, and make sure the velcro storm flaps are done up.

I'm not sure the Airmesh with rain liner will be as good in the winter as my Darien Jacket and pants, but the liners really increase the flexibility of the Airmesh gear non the less.
gssurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #769
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Cool2

Quote:
Yep. It's all about the layering with these.

I learned three important lessons recently.

One, don't forget to treat the rain liners with 303 after you wash them.

Two, don't wear a hoody when its raining hard because it will wick moisture down under your gear and you will end up wet from the waist up.

Three, if you use the Motoport glove covers and boot covers with the mesh they must be the bottom layer of protection or they will fill up with water. (Example the glove covers must go under you rain liner at the wrist. Somehow you must put the gloves on first; possible, but quite difficult.)

Some of this is probably just my ignorance/stupidity as we don't ever see the type of continuous rain we encountered along the coast for 3-4 days steady. We had it all figured out after a day of getting wet.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #770
bootzilla
Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigmanG/S
MAN! Tom Petty is right!!

The waiting is the hardest part!
I hear you....I can't wait to get mine so I can try it out...but still 2 more weeks to wait (maybe 3...can't remember)

5 Different Nachos
bootzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #771
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Got three more here.

I made a change order last week though, so I'm most likely back to the bottom of the pile.
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #772
donnyh
Waiting for the Sun

Oddometer: 6,109
I visited Wayne at Motoport yesterday in San Marcos, I was able to buy off the rack, I got grey mesh pants and jacket with all the liners, and upgraded armor, I walked out of the door with all of it except one liner, to be shipped in the next few days.

Wayne's a hellova nice guy and he sure knows his stuff, I got the full tour of his shop on 90 minutes notice (he discourages walk-ins, but will meet by appointment).

Sadly, I have no ride report yet, my new 650L is still in pieces from its makeover.
donnyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #773
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

I have bad news about my Motoport experience.

Short recap on my sizing problems:

1) Place my order for kevlar gloves and Ultra II Air Mesh jacket and pants about three months ago. Wait five weeks for my order to arrive, which I expected.

2) Nothing fits right. I call Wayne and ask for a refund. He asks me to send my order back to him for alterations. Despite my better judgment, I give him the benefit of the doubt. I return the jacket, the jacket liner, the pants, and the gloves at my expense. I keep the pant liner and order a second pair of gloves on cross-ship. Wayne sent me XL gloves; he suggests trying a Large. I typically wear a size 9 glove, so a Large is not out of the question.

3) Gloves arrive. They fit weird, and cut off circulation to my pinky fingers. I send them back and get a refund without hassle on both sets of gloves.

4) I am charged a fee for altering the location of the knee armor on my pants.

5) Three weeks after sending them back, I get my jacket and pants back. The knee armor is still off, by about two inches. I marked a huge X in tape on the center of each knee cap, based on Cycleport's advice. I wind up putting aftermarket CE armor inside the pants via double-sided hook and loop tape atop the Tri-Armor. I call Wayne again and tell him I want to return the jacket for a refund. Again, he talks me out of it, saying that if I use binder clips they can make the jacket fit me properly. I relent, partially thinking of my father's own small business, and how hard he had to fight to keep his head above water. I send my jacket and liner back, again at my expense.

6) Three more weeks pass, and I get my jacket yesterday. The jacket fits better across my broad back, but there is still too much fabric in the chest and along the bottom of the jacket. I have to cinch the jacket in so much that the fabric blouses out about two inches in the chest and hem. Adjusting the hem to fit properly causes the hand pockets to permanently stay open. The alterations to the body of the jacket has now made my sleeves, which fit fine before, too short. The neck no longer buttons as it used to, either. The body of the original jacket was labeled a Large, the current jacket is listed as a Small. I call Wayne and ask for a refund for the jacket.

He says no.

My jacket is now considered "custom" because it has been altered, and as such is not covered by their satisfaction guarantee. I feel like I allowed myself to be tricked into violating their policy when Wayne asked me send in the jacket the first time.

Accounting for shipping, I now have a $650 jacket and liner I am unhappy with. I am extremely disappointed by this turn of events. I believe in the Motoport product, and they have always been eager to help me and patient with my questions. I felt like I gave the process a try. Wayne mentioned he has taken back a vast sum of money in mis-sized product due to people not measuring right. I know what it is like to be in a small family business. On one hand I want to be fair to Wayne, but on the other I think he should be fair to me. The jacket does not fit my body after three attempts. I should have stood my ground when I asked for the initial refund.

I hope the rest of you have a good experience with Motoport. I really like the pants and wear them every time I commute into work. However, for those of you considering ordering from Wayne, consider that there is a point from which there is no return. This will not be communicated to you in any fashion until it is too late, and you may nice-guy yourself into a $650 jacket that you don't like and doesn't fit you well.

More blah-blah and pictures available on my blog.

The product is good, just consider what you might be getting into if you have a real problem.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #774
Galroc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Sorry to hear about the problems you are having DrFaulken.

I just ordered a jacket/pants/full liners (non mesh) and I am a bit worried after reading your story.

I would confirm that the sleeve length is correct. Measure the jacket and see if it matches what you requested. If it doesn't, then that is Motoport's fault and they should correct their mistake at their cost.

As far other areas, I would go to a tailor and let him mark the jacket, and then send the jacket back to Motoport for alterations. The tailor should cost very little, and it is worth it to get it correct. Make sure you wear the liner at the same time.

This got me a bit worried and it might be a good idea to visit a tailor myself and confirm my measurements.

Here are my measurements so others can compare:
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 180lbs
Chest: 43 3/4" (Wayne didn't like this measurement, thought it was too big)
Waist: 40"
Inseam: 31"
Sleeve: 33 1/2"
Knee: 11" (hopefully, I got this one right!)

Galroc screwed with this post 09-25-2008 at 04:28 AM Reason: corrected sleave measurement to the one I sent Wayne
Galroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #775
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
I'm sorry to see that Wayne could make you happy with your jacket fit. But I must say that every pic I saw had you standing NOT sitting on the bike. The first pic's you posted, the jacket looked to fit you good, but you didn't have any of the cinch straps pulled, and there were no pic's of you on the bike. I didn't see any reference to the fit while sitting on the bike.(forgive me if you mentioned it, I just didn't see it.)The Motoport jacket is not designed to help you "Pick up chicks at the mall", it's designed to protect you if you have a get off on your bike. Lifting your hands over your head does not simulate an accident. You also never took that pic with the pants that you say are so dear to you.(the only complaint you have is knee armor placement.) The jacket and pants are designed to work together.
Again, I sorry Wayne could not make you happy, but I don't think he could have done anything to do so, you wouldn't let him.
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #776
psc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I don't post much, since I generally have nothing useful to contribute. Yet I am probably one of the silent majority that have bought Wayne's stuff, used them to our great satisfaction, and went on with our lives. I've also used my 'Stich for the last 20 years (same one). The two are different enough that I am keeping both.

Now, after reading DrFaulken's latest post, I went back in history to track the rest of his story. It appears that DrFaulken has had issue with Motoport from day one. Without Wayne's input, we'll never know both sides of the story. I'll just leave it at that.

But it is curious that DrFaulken has never shown a picture of himself sitting on his bike of choice and showed the obvious misplacement of the kneepads. My pants came with the kneepads slipped below my knees while standing. Then I sat on my bike and the pads slipped right over them. Both pants on the 'Stich and the Motoport have saggy butts while standing, but then fit extremely well while in the saddle.

The popularity and cachet of the 'Stich and Motoport products have probably attracted a faction of the riding community that are more fashion conscious. Oh, you know who you are, don't need to defend it though; we're all slaves to one thing or another.

If I may be so bold to offer advice to DrFaulken: With the potential of losing a lot of $ for ill-fitting stuff that you'll probably not wear, why not hop on a Southwest flight to San Diego for the weekend. Eat some great enchiladas, see Wayne in person and sort it all out. SWA has sales all the time (~$300 RT). I am confident that once Wayne measures you in person, the fit will be correct.

Peter
psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #777
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigmanG/S
Again, I sorry Wayne could not make you happy, but I don't think he could have done anything to do so, you wouldn't let him.
What makes you say that? I gave him measurements, followed his binder clip suggestion, etc. I am not sure why you feel that I wasn't trying to "let" Wayne help me. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have paid to have my pants altered and paid for shipping my gear back and forth twice. Would you please clarify what you mean?

I'll get on my FZ6 at some point and take pictures. I am not really sure how that's going to convey the placement of the knee armor, but I'll do it anyway.

I also don't understand why sitting on the bike is going to make a big difference or not with how the jacket fits. My Tourmaster doesn't bunch or ride up if I am standing or sitting, why would it be acceptable for my Motoport to do so? Please help me understand a little bit better.

In regard to the pants, I don't suffer from the "baggy ass" syndrome others have reported. I don't think they are any more or less saggy than my two pair of leather riding pants.

I'd also like to make the distinction between "fashion" and "fit." I'm not interested in Motoport for fashionable reasons. I got Hi-Viz, FFS. However, I do believe that for the amount I paid the jacket should fit my body better. Would someone explain to me why this is an unreasonable request from Motoport?

Thank you for the responses so far.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #778
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by psc

If I may be so bold to offer advice to DrFaulken: With the potential of losing a lot of $ for ill-fitting stuff that you'll probably not wear, why not hop on a Southwest flight to San Diego for the weekend. Eat some great enchiladas, see Wayne in person and sort it all out. SWA has sales all the time (~$300 RT). I am confident that once Wayne measures you in person, the fit will be correct.

Peter
Don't forget tyo mention the BEER! San Diego rivals the Pacific northwest these days..
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #779
psc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Don't forget tyo mention the BEER! San Diego rivals the Pacific northwest these days..
I deliberately did not mention beer. What with all the angst floating around, good beer may not be appreciated. On the other hand, eye candy over at Ocean/Pacific Beaches will suffice for me.

Peter
psc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #780
biscuit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Sacred Cow much?

Thanks for your feedback DrFaulken. It is much appreciated. I hope you get either your money or a good fitting jacket out of this ordeal.
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote