Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #781
ianbh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I wear the FrogTogs under the Mesh Kevlar suit. One other thing I have learned on this trip. The kevlar is VERY abrasive and is scratching the plastic side panels on my FJR1300. Hopefully, I can buff these scratches out and cover the panels and lower gas tank with some sort of clear cover. I've read on some of the boards about a clear protective cover that was put on with water, but saw some negative comments. I wonder if a clear packing tape work without hurting the paint? Ian, Iowa
ianbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #782
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaulken
What makes you say that? I gave him measurements, followed his binder clip suggestion, etc. I am not sure why you feel that I wasn't trying to "let" Wayne help me. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have paid to have my pants altered and paid for shipping my gear back and forth twice. Would you please clarify what you mean?
OK, here is what I'm saying: When you posted your first pic's the jacket, for the type of material you ordered, looked to fit well. The mesh is stiff and does not drape well over the body. Seemed to be a complaint of yours. But you didn't try it for a while(You have a 30 day trial) let alone try it out on a ride or two. You didn't use the cinch straps to adjust the fit. So you sent back a good fitting jacket to have it "made right". It seemed as Wayne tried to make you happy, but the second time you got it back you did the same thing. It has been stated on this thread that at first, the mesh feels as if it's not right, but after a few rides it gets better. I don't see where you gave it the time it needed to get better. So your assessment seems off base to me. Then you get on a public forum and call Wayne out. If I were you, I would take the advice of the other inmate and fly out to San Diego and meet with Wayne face to face and let him make things right, and have a good dinner, some KILLER micro brew, and enjoy "The sights ".
AND knee pads DO tend to fall into the right place when on the bike. I agree, my Aerostich roadcrafter pads are below my knee's when I'm not on the bike, but "pull" into place when on the bike. If yours don't do that, then you have a ligit gripe. But I think(and I could be wrong, sometimes am and will be many times more)YOU screwed up a good jacket from what I saw in your first pic's.

For the record I didn't like the mesh, so I ordered the stretch Kevlar. I did go to the shop and have Wayne fit me up for the suit. I have about two weeks to go on my wait.
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #783
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
I promised Wayne at Motoport I would post his email to me in its entirety. I have only removed my first name from his email. My original comments from this thread will be in red, Wayne's comments will be in green, my rebuttal in white.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One of our customers told me about a bad write up on advrider. I went on Gringo's thread today and your comments upset me. First you just started riding and you know very little about motorcycle apparel and riding a motorcycle. The negative statements you made reflect this lack of experience. Second the comments you made damage my company. We do our best to make customers happy. In some cases it is impossible. I don't post on Gingo's thread. As a manufacturer it is not allowed. Only your comments are seen. My side of this story should be seen. Please post this response on Gringo's thread.

You placed the order on June 30. Measurements given: 6' tall, 180lbs., chest 44", 38" sleeve length and a 32" waist. This is not a standard size. Chest large with a small waist. We built the jacket to your measurements and shipped both the liner and jacket on 8/1, 32 days after placing the order. Your size is a large jacket with a small jacket size waist. Here are some of your negative comments on advrider in red with my response in green:

[Note: I was explicitly told how to take measurements on the phone. I noted in this thread that I was very concerned about taking measurements correctly and did as I was told. The chest and knee measurement exercises made me worried but I did what I was told anyway. The lady who took my order said to draw in a deep breath when taking the chest measurement. My chest measurement with inflated lungs is a 44. Given that I did as asked and the sizing was entirely too big, I gave you my relaxed chest measurement the second time. For the knees, I was to get on the bike I rode the most while wearing comfortable pants. I was to put two strips of tape on the top and bottom of my knee cap and then make my measurement from there. I did as directed.]

The jacket seems to be sized too big as well. I am not sure if it is supposed to be this big in the chest -- I feel like I have more than enough room to put in the liners and my chest and thorax body armor on TOP of the Motoport stuff
You gave me incorrect measurements.

I gave you the measurements you asked for to the best of my ability. It would be helpful if you had photos or a video on your Web site displaying the best way to measure for your products. There was a gentleman in this thread who said he had a problems understanding your directions also and had to phone in for clarification.

I am also aghast that the pants and jacket don't zip together. The cheapest motorcycling gear you can find has a zipper system or a belt snap system.
If I paid a third of the cost of my suit I'd still be a little disappointed. After the cost and the wait I am really dissatisfied

If we tried to put a zipper holding a 3/4 length jacket to a pant, it would be very difficult to bend at the waist. Zippers don't need to be put on a 3/4 length jacket. We have been making thousands of 3/4 length jackets since 1965 and not one has ever ridden up the torso in a tumble.

Wayne went over this with me on the phone, and I understand where he is coming from. I also believe his statement about no one ever having a jacket riding up that high, especially when wearing appropriate riding pants. Please note in my future posts that I did not complain about the jacket riding up as high.

I was so concerned about the knee measurement that I called twice. Given how the rest of my order turned out, it's the least of my worries. Still, for the price and the wait I expected more.
Call any motorcycle apparel company with the original measurements you provided and see if they have anything that will fit. We build you a custom Kevlar Jacket in four weeks to the incorrect measurements provided and you complain.

The reason I chose to order from Motoport was because I knew I had a funky body type and wanted custom fitting gear and great protection. I was willing to pay a premium to get both of these things. I sent you accurate measurements according to the instructions I was given over the phone, by both you and the lady I spoke with (I apologize for not remembering her name. She was nice on the phone, as were you).

If I wind up sending the pants back too I might have them do that. However, that's the kind of thing that should be included with the jacket as part of the cost. My Tourmaster textile set cost about $200 shipped and has a 1/2 circumference zipper. Why doesn't my $1200 Motoport gear?
Your Tourmaster is a Polyester Jacket that has no abrasion and very little tear strength. The Tourmaster is made in China, with material and labor cost for about $28.00. Add all the margins and when on sale the Tourmaster will cost $200.00. One yard of our Kevlar Mesh is currently $72.00. One yard of our Stretch Kevlar is $82.00. It takes 2.7 to 3.2 yards to make a jacket. Crash at 10mph, throw the Tourmaster jacket in the trash and pray that no injuries will occur.

I am not sure what the point is here -- I am not saying that a Tourmaster jacket is as crash worthy as the Motoport gear. I appreciate the information about the cost of your raw materials, but this does not address my complaint, which was the lack of a 1/2 circumference zipper.

I talked with Motoport today and the lady on the phone was VERY nice. I expressed my concerns about the jacket fit. She told me they had a 44 chest size on file, which is what I sent them. I measured myself last night after trying on the jacket and found my actual measurement to be a 43. I told her that my Teknic leather jacket is a 44 and fits a bit snug in the shoulders (I have an ape's arms and back) and couldn't understand how the difference between a 43 and a 44 would equate to five inches of gathered material in the chest.
Now you told us that your chest is a 42. This makes the chest size go from a large to a medium.

As stated earlier in the thread, my at-inhalation measurement is a 44. This was what I was told to do over the phone to get the measurement you wanted. Also, for the completeness, the jacket you sent me the third time is a small, not a medium.

I'm not going to talk about the pants right now, but the short story is they still screwed up the armor placement on the knee. I have no idea why they can't just follow the same guidelines other manufacturers do; I have three other pairs of cycling pants and the knees fit me fine.
We placed the knee armor again to your specifications.

When I spoke with you on the phone you told me to put my mesh pants on, sit on the bike I rode the most frequently, and mark the knees in a plus pattern with tape. I did exactly what you asked, and the pants came back to me with the armor too low.

The jacket is smaller than the last one (the downsized me from an L to a M), but I am concerned it still doesn't fit right. It certainly doesn't feel "custom," but I've given up on getting a true custom fit from Cycleport. They do alteration work, not custom work.
You returned the size large to us on 9/9. We rushed your new jacket and shipped it out on 9/16. We built a small jacket because of what you told me and how the size large was clamped. We didn't send you a medium. Now your complaining that the small is too large. Please explain how we make gear for any rider any size without making custom apparel. I had 4 riders last month that were more than 7' tall. Last month we made a jacket and pant for a rider that was 6'4"tall and weighed 550lbs.. It fit him perfectly the first time.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but your system seems to build a jacket from sleeve and body components. You then assemble the jacket from these larger grain pieces and then alter the suit further for a more tailored fit. The jacket is not made from scratch based off of the measurements provided by the customer. I would consider this truly "custom." I believe you use the customer measurements as a guideline by which an existing set of product components are altered. If I am wrong, I will apologize. I am not faulting you either way -- again, I grew up in a small family business and appreciate the need for efficiency. I am trying to explain what I meant.

It took five weeks for the first round to show up. It took another three weeks to get the alterations made.
Why don't you explain that you live in VA and that the shipping each way is usually 7 days?

Although it's been evident in my user data (on the left <---) that I am in VA, for the record I live in Virginia. I sent my suit back to you the first time and it arrived in three business days.

2) Nothing fits right. I call Wayne and ask for a refund. He asks me to send my order back to him for alterations. Despite my better judgment, I give him the benefit of the doubt. I return the jacket, the jacket liner, the pants, and the gloves at my expense.
It was your decision to try again.
Yes, my complaint is that by sending the jacket back to you I surrendered my right for a refund. At no time did you warn me that I was crossing into "custom" territory by returning it for alterations. I think that is unfair.

4) I am charged a fee for altering the location of the knee armor on my pants.
When we make a pant to your measurements and you provide improper measurements we charge 50% of the normal alteration fees. This was explained and is on the invoice.

I provided measurements to the best of my ability as directed by you and your staff. Customers that come to you in person get fit very well, but I don't have the capability of doing that.

5) Three weeks after sending them back, I get my jacket and pants back. The knee armor is still off, by about two inches. I marked a huge X in tape on the center of each knee cap, based on Cycleport's advice. I wind up putting aftermarket CE armor inside the pants via double-sided hook and loop tape atop the Tri-Armor. I call Wayne again and tell him I want to return the jacket for a refund. Again, he talks me out of it, saying that if I use binder clips they can make the jacket fit me properly. I relent, partially thinking of my father's own small business, and how hard he had to fight to keep his head above water. I send my jacket and liner back, again at my expense.
Knee/Shin armor was again placed where instructed.

Already addressed as above, I made my measurements according to Motoport's directions.

6) Three more weeks pass, and I get my jacket yesterday. The jacket fits better across my broad back, but there is still too much fabric in the chest and along the bottom of the jacket. I have to cinch the jacket in so much that the fabric blouses out about two inches in the chest and hem. Adjusting the hem to fit properly causes the hand pockets to permanently stay open. The alterations to the body of the jacket has now made my sleeves, which fit fine before, too short. The neck no longer buttons as it used to, either. The body of the original jacket was labeled a Large, the current jacket is listed as a Small. I call Wayne and ask for a refund for the jacket.
If the small jacket is still too large in the chest area your actual chest size must be 39 to 40" at the most. Please post the photos you sent to me today on advrider and see the response. This jacket, wearing nothing underneath is not big on you. If you want it smaller we can do that, but it will be snug when layering for cold weather.

I posted one of the photos in this thread. I have many more images on my blog; unfortunately I can only post one picture at a time via the attachment functionality on the board. My image host uses a weird file path that the forum software does not process.

My jacket is now considered "custom" because it has been altered, and as such is not covered by their satisfaction guarantee. I feel like I allowed myself to be tricked into violating their policy when Wayne asked me send in the jacket the first time.
This is explained again in bold on our invoice. I also told you that if you hadn't worn the jacket making it used we would have taken it back?

I buy a lot of things online, including apparel and motorcycle safety gear. I have never had a problem returning anything I have purchased. I know that some people abuse the system and trash a product and send it back to you. I have been very conscious of not doing this for your product, or the product of any other vendor.

Wayne mentioned he has taken back a vast sum of money in mis-sized product due to people not measuring right.
The size large jacket returned is not standard. This jacket will be in stock for a long time. After 4 years it will be cut up. This entire issue is due to your improper measurements. As of today we have spent money trying to make a jacket fit from your improper measurements.

I have been concerned that the amount of time and/or materials spent on altering my jacket would have incurred a loss on your business. For that I apologize, but I have sent you my measurements to the best of my ability based on Motoport's instructions.

I hope the rest of you have a good experience with Motoport. I really like the pants and wear them every time I commute into work. However, for those of you considering ordering from Wayne, consider that there is a point from which there is no return. This will not be communicated to you in any fashion until it is too late, and you may nice-guy yourself into a $650 jacket that you don't like and doesn't fit you well.
If you are actually a doctor I would be very concerned about the work you perform. Have you ever used a tape measure? Didn't you see in bold writing on both invoices sent: "Custom items are non returnable."? Do you expect to wear anything for hours and then return it for a refund? Do you know of any motorcycle apparel company that will make you custom apparel and then take it back? Go back and look at some of the other photos of riders wearing our gear. Your fit is not that bad when wearing nothing underneath for a new Mesh Kevlar Jacket that has not broken in. If you get in a riding position, not stretching the arms out as far as possible, then pull the wrinkles out of the sleeve the length might be better. This jacket is not made to snug up both the Velcro adjust under the chest and bottom hem, tight, when new and stiff with no wrinkles appearing.

If I had 3 customers a year like you, I would get out of this business.

Wayne Boyer
President Motoport/Cycleport USA

Aside from the personal comments made in this email, Wayne and his staff have been very professional and patient. I still think their products are very good, and intend to keep wearing the pants. As the temperates dip and I can wear the pair of liners and my Knox Sport Shirt armor the jacket may fill out appropriately.

One thing neither Wayne nor myself discussed was the use of a clothes dryer to soften the mesh. I have put the jacket and four shoes in my dryer with no heat, per Motoports suggestion. I have done this twice, once before sending back the medium sized body, and once after receiving my current jacket in a small. The first time I ran the dryer for an hour, the second time for two hours, per Wayne's suggestion.

I find it unfortunate that Wayne would not accept my jacket return. I understand he has a business to run, but I have not abused his product and am not trying to take advantage of the system. I also wish that this opportunity would be used to improve the manner in which measurements are communicated. As noted earlier in this thread, my friend also ordered from Wayne and received a mis-sized jacket. Fortunately Wayne worked with her and she sent him the jacket with binder clips attached. Motoport was able to alter the jacket to her body and she wears it every time she rides.

I guess that's all I have to say. I am glad Wayne wrote to me, and hope that he feels that his side of the story is now part of this thread.

DrFaulken screwed with this post 09-24-2008 at 10:06 PM
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:40 AM   #784
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
I can't even get into the details of this last exchange but suffice it to say that not everyone can be made happy and not through the fault of either party.

I happen to have both complete stretch kevlar and mesh suits. Even though the mesh suit was made to the same specs as the stretch it fits differently and probably not as well as the stretch simply because the materials are different. you will never get the mesh suit to fit in a tailored way like leather, cordura, schoeller, an armani suit, or anything else that just drapes are forms more easily.

it may be baggy and there may be some excess fabric here and there but all i care about is that the armor is in the right place and that there's room for layers in colder weather.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #785
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,132
Quote:
... I have only removed my first name..

Wait, your first name isn't Dr.?

Seriously, I think you've been fair, and don't blame you for having a bad experience with Motoport. Shit happens.

I hope you arrive at an acceptable resolution.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 AM   #786
Schwinn
n00b

Oddometer: 7
@DrFaulken

I feel your pain on this matter, and understand that both sides have done all they can to help alleviate the issue. I have dealt with such issues on numerous occasions with other vendors (not motorcycle specific) and it has taken quite some time to resolve them (or to just give up).

I can say that my Motoport experience has been good, and the pants I have fit me quite well. I am also a standard size, so that makes things easier.

Still, I have to mention that even during my ordering process, I was concerned with the whole custom-made issue. I was fearful that if I ended up a custom size (I had no reason to believe I would be, but still) then I would not be able to return the item. Still, that was a risk I was willing to take, and (fortunately) it was not a problem for me.

But, keeping that in mind, and knowing that you are a custom size, shouldn't it be evident that you would not be able to return it at all, even from day one?

I'm not trying to pick a fight or flame war here, but given that you know you are custom, and the policies all say that custom work can't be returned (for reasons that I imagine you understand, as does anyone else)... why do you feel that a return is "owed" to you at all?

I know it sucks to have to risk it like this... but it doesn't seem shady or unfair IMO.

If it were me, I would certainly be upset, but I would continue to try to get the fit right... and I would certainly consider the trip out to visit them to get it right once more. I realize that another $300 for airfare is half the price of the jacket... but it's almost a guarantee that it would fit after that... unless your requests are unreasonable, which I doubt they are?

Anyway, that's just my 2-cents. I don't think either side is "to blame" for your situation... there is certainly some miscommunication going on here that needs to be addressed, and the only way to solve that is with a face-to-face. Also, I don't think that the title of your blog-post is productive, but I understand the reaction... still, in the interest of getting to a solution (assuming you are still interested in one) that should probably be changed.

I will say that the measurements are kinda weird, for a motorcycling-noob like myself... I wish there was a better way for them to be taken accurately. I like the idea a previous poster had to setup a webpage with some photos and measurement techniques, so that Wayne/Motoport can easily reference them. They don't need to be on their main-page linked up (it seems they keep the page "bad" because they already have too much work to do?) but a decent, hidden reference page might be a very good idea. Or even a PDF download. I strongly suggest Wayne should do this... it would make things easier for dumb people like myself, at least! (And I only had one measurement confusion-issue when I was ordering my pants!)
Schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #787
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
@DrFaulken
But, keeping that in mind, and knowing that you are a custom size, shouldn't it be evident that you would not be able to return it at all, even from day one?
This is a fair question. The problem I have with the return policy is that it is not clear to the consumer when they cross the line into "custom" territory. When I called to order my jacket and pants, I was asked to take measurements. I placed my order and supplied the measurements I was asked to take. At no point was I told "you won't be able to get a refund," or, "this is custom and our return policy does not apply," etc. Apparently you can order off-the-rack gear from Motoport, but I was never given that option over the phone. Was I, without my knowledge, apparently defaulted to "custom" gear?

wrigmanG/S: I think I understand your question better now. Let me try to address it and then let me know if I'm still missing your point.

I have two issues with the mesh jacket I received: the fit and the fabric. The fabric I can understand. I put my suit in the dryer with no heat and four shoes for a combination of three hours based on Wayne and his employee's advice. I have a fair assortment of leather gear, and appreciate that there is a break-in period.

The fit is my major complaint/concern: how much extra material is in the jacket, where it is too big, where it is too small, etc.

Does that make more sense?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #788
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

wrigmanG/S: I think I understand your question better now. Let me try to address it and then let me know if I'm still missing your point.

I have two issues with the mesh jacket I received: the fit and the fabric. The fabric I can understand. I put my suit in the dryer with no heat and four shoes for a combination of three hours based on Wayne and his employee's advice. I have a fair assortment of leather gear, and appreciate that there is a break-in period.

The fit is my major complaint/concern: how much extra material is in the jacket, where it is too big, where it is too small, etc.

Does that make more sense?
OK, I guess I understand a little better now. After seeing the mesh in person and holding it, trying it on, I could tell the fabric has very little give and Motoport has to have the velcro tabs to give it a more custom fit. Just about all the textile gear I have had has been like this. I guess it's just always been a given to me. Leather is another story, one wants very little adjustment on a leather jacket. I think the biggest mistake made here was that you ordered the mesh without knowing it's inherent qualities before buying it. I still think the original jacket was a good fit if the velcro had been used, or like I said before, maybe the stretch fabric would have been better for you. That is all water under the bridge now. I think a good face to face meeting with Wayne and crew is about the only way this will be resolved now. I hope you can do that.
I mean, what the heck, the fall colors can't be ALL THAT great back there. We still have the Cali. sun shine and the beaches are still in full swing here.(read bikini's ) So, what are you waiting for?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #789
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Hi everyone, here's the last from Wayne at Motoport. As before, I told him I'd post his email in its entirety -- except for my name. I feel like I have nothing else to say; there's a point where things degenerate to calling people liars or n00bs or fashionistas or whatever. I've said my piece, and I believe Wayne has said all he'd like as well.

Quote:
Hi DrFaulken,

Thanks for posting my comments on advrider. This shows me that you have character. Please also post the following on advrider:

After reading your post on advrider and seeing the other photos on the blog,
it appears to me that the jacket is sized correctly with the body. When the
Mesh Kevlar is new, it is stiff. This stiffness makes it is impossible to
cinch down the Velcro straps under the chest and bottom hem without getting
severe wrinkles in the jacket. As mentioned on the phone this style jacket
is not made to wear in a snug fashion. Wearing the jacket snug only
accomplishes negatives, bad fit, uncomfortable to wear etc... You mentioned
in the thread about the armor moving when falling if the jacket is loose.
Never in our history has the armor moved in a tumble. The type of armor,
construction, materials used, prevent the armor from moving with impact, even
when worn loose.

The sleeve length is another issue. The photos shown appear that your
stretching the arms out fully extended. This is not the position when
riding a bike. Pull the wrinkles out of the sleeves and put the arms in a
riding position. If the sleeves are short, then we need to make them
longer. It is very easy to take perfect fitting apparel and make it appear
to fit terrible in a photo.

Fitting riders has always been our most difficult job. Different types of bikes require
different fitting apparel. Riders like you want snug fitting gear, others
prefer loose fitting. Sizing for regular clothing in pants/jackets has never been consistent and in the majority of cases,
not even close to actual measurements. This confuses people when they wear a pant size of 36

and the measured waist size can be up to 41 or larger. It is very common to get incorrect chest/hip measurements from women. Incorrect waist/chest measurements from men. My company has been manufacturing motorcycle apparel since 1965. In the past we used a very detailed sizing page to fill out. This gave us more problems. The current methods of sizing has been learned over many years of experience. Go on our web site. We do
have a Sizing Guide. Yesterday I also updated all the text on the Kevlar
apparel. (Our sizing now is explained better.) The sizing issue we will continue to improve over the years. It will still be impossible
in some cases to fit every rider perfectly.

Finally, you mention growing up in a small family business and your respect for small companies like mine. Then you go and trash my company with many lies and misinformation.

1. No person in my company would ever tell you to take a deep breath and measure the chest.

2. You state as fact how we make our gear and that it is not custom made. As a new rider you may not realize that we are the only company left in the world making synthetic custom motorcycle apparel. I'm very surprised that some of our custom sized riders didn't blast you for your comments. When you sent back the first jacket that was custom made to your improper measurements, we loose money from that point on, even if we sell you another jacket. (Note: We didn't charge you any custom fees.) Just last month my company was blasted by a women on a web site. She gained weight, upset that we made her pay to alter her pant and pay for return shipping!!!!
http://www.pashing.com/forum/show.pup?to=18793

Following was a great response from Tom shown on adviser:

http://www.adviser.com/forums/show.pup?to=378471

We have never made a profit selling complete custom gear. Try to purchase any custom apparel. If we charged an extra $500 for a complete custom jacket and $400 extra for a complete custom pant, on top of the regular price, that would be a break even point. If the gear needed alterations after sending, we loose money again.
Everyone in my company would also tell you that I'm the only one here that wants to keep making custom apparel.

3. The biggest complaint about our company is waiting for our gear after placing the order. If I spent one tenth of the time on each customer that was spent on you, everyone would be waiting even loner.
Customers like you and the women in the above links, make it difficult to continue with anything custom.

Best regards,
Wayne Boyer
President Motoport/Cycleport USA
Old 09-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #790
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
Cool2 Links in Wayne's response don't work...

DrF

If your looking for sexy gear, this is not it!

I describe mine as wearing a potato sack. But its the most functional, protective gear I have found so potato sack it is. I believe it is just the nature of the material.

I love the coat for commuting, but I am considering getting a stretch kevlar jacket in black for the occasional recreational ride when lookin sexy is impotent.

Nice to see you guys disagreeing without stooping too low.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #791
whitetiger7654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I'm still trying my gear out. I just haven't had enough saddle time yet. I do think the knee armor is a little low but I'll wait for more seat time to check for sure.

As for the Dr's situation. It is unfortunate, and I'm not sure what Wayne is trying to prove by arguing with a customer and requesting it to be posted online. I have nothing bad to say about either party here, but I just find that odd. As a business owner I don't think I'd argue with a customer then request it to be posted online.
My Webshots Pictures
whitetiger7654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #792
MotoSteve
Functioning Motard

Oddometer: 363
I understand why Wayne wants to respond to negative comments about his business. Allot of people make buying decisions based on what they read on this Thread (me included).

I am an odd fit. Very tall and fairly thin. I was a custom fit. In addition to my odd measurements I asked for several extra modifications to suit my needs. This is something that I couldn't do with other brands. Wayne got it right for me the first time and provided me with the best fitting, most comfortable, functional and protective gear I have ever owned (and I've owned expensive stuff-Dianese leather, Firstgear TPG textile). I've got 10,000+ miles with my Motoport kit. My other gear hangs from a hook in the garage now. I wont wear it because it is inferior to the stuff I got from Motoport.

I bought the Stretch Kevlar material based on what I had read of both fabrics. It sounds like DrF didn't understand the properties of the Mesh fabric and how these jackets were designed to be worn. Perhaps more research could have fixed that. Maybe not. My Motoport suit does not fit snug to the skin like my Dianese Leather kit. It's not supposed to.

Its too bad DrF is going to miss out on enjoying this gear the way I and many others have.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #793
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
+1

I had a great experience with Wayne and the staff at motoport.

I made several calls (as anyone considering $$custom$$ gear should) and Wayne was very professional and accommodating of my many questions and concerns.

I actually made my own measurments while speaking to Wayne on the phone... rechecking them several times so that we were perfectly clear on everything.

i am a tough fit and have never had any OTR gear that fit properly... wide shoulders and short arms /torso.

the Riva jacket and police pants arrived within the time frame i was given and the fit was perfect....Although i will admit it felt extremely bulky at first i didnt let that stop me from riding in it.

Now after riding about 10K miles with it the armor has molded to me and when i am riding i dont even notice i'm wearing riding gear ....which is a good thing because while riding i have found it best to actually concentrate on riding.... and yes it really is that comfortable.

I went with the stretch material because i felt it would fit better (i looked at all the pictures on this thread and everywhere else i could find)
and knowing the stretch material would provide some "give" ... and it does

The stretch material also breathes quite well..... allowing my evaporative cooling vest to function as designed.

zipper to attach the jacket and pants.... i do wish the zipper came around further but i have no real gripes about the way it is.

I also went with the upgraded armor (after researching the new layer online i would say its worth every penny)

After recieving my gear I closely examined every seam and all the stitching was top notch... should the need ever arise i feel the gear will perform its duty as expected.

in summation..... i ordered exactly what i wanted..... and got exactly what i ordered.... in the time frame i was told i was going to get it!

All my other riding gear has now been "parked"

I highly recommend motoport ... but would caution a potential buyer to do their homework (read this entire thread) on the different materials offered and the properties of these materials..... once you get an idea about what you want dont be afraid to pick up the phone and give Wayne a call.... he is NOT a bad guy!

Kookaloo!

Frank
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:59 PM   #794
Aceldama
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
After reading what was written by Wayne I can't help but comment on a few quotes that seem particularly condescending toward a customer who has paid hundreds of dollars for a product.

"Thanks for posting my comments on advrider. This shows me that you have character."

Classy.

"It is very easy to take perfect fitting apparel and make it appear
to fit terrible in a photo."

What exactly does Dr.F have to gain by making your gear appear that it does not fit properly? I'm sure it was just a $650 exercise to make you look like a jerk.

"As a new rider you may not realize that we are the only company left in the world making synthetic custom motorcycle apparel."

And this is the kind of condescending crap you get to put up with if the gear doesn't fit properly.

"When you sent back the first jacket that was custom made to your improper measurements, we loose money from that point on, even if we sell you another jacket."

It's called 'customer service'. You seem 100% sure that Dr.F is the one at fault for the jacket, it doesn't seem that clear to me. You'd like to think as a customer paying $650 that if something goes wrong that you're going to be covered by the company you're doing business with.

"Just last month my company was blasted by a women on a web site. She gained weight, upset that we made her pay to alter her pant and pay for return shipping!!!!"

And just a few months ago I ordered a jacket that didn't fit me so I sent it back to newenough and they sent me a completely different jacket that I wanted in a different size. I didn't have to pay anything extra, no questions asked. My anecdote is about as relevant as yours to this matter. In fact, it seems as though you're saying that Dr.F set out to be intentionally malicious in this matter for whatever motivation.

"Everyone in my company would also tell you that I'm the only one here that wants to keep making custom apparel."

It sure doesn't sound like it.

"The biggest complaint about our company is waiting for our gear after placing the order. If I spent one tenth of the time on each customer that was spent on you, everyone would be waiting even loner[sic]. Customers like you and the women in the above links, make it difficult to continue with anything custom."

Again, very classy.

I've been following this thread for a while and it's obvious that Motorport make great, top shelf riding gear. But I'm not sold on your customer service skills.

Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #795
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I'm sorry that things have degraded to the point they have between Dr.F and Wayne. I think for things to have gotten THIS bad, there have been some exchanges (Phone ?) that have had no reports on this forum.

After reading some of Dr.F's blog, I am convinced that he is a gear junkie. One that is in constant search of "The perfect" gear for all types of riding.(Sport bikes, touring bikes ect.) And after reading his entries, and reviews, it also seems as if he is not satified with any of the gear he buy's. It seems as if there is "something" about any of the gear that makes him unhappy with it. I think Wayne went to great lengths to make a customer happy that couldn't be made happy no matter what(at least with the fabric HE chose to buy).
Again , I'm sorry that things got to this. I don't know if this transaction can be resolved. My only sugestion would be to see if Dr. F. could trade his mesh gear in for a discount on the stretch kevlar. If not I think this relationship is had it's run.
It seems as if the great majority of folks have been treated well by Wayne and his crew and have bought top notch gear and have been more than happy with it. I can't wait to get mine!