User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #796
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
Hey wringmanGS,

I think you're right about my long search for gear. The distinction I'd like to point out is that I don't think most of my gear is "bad," but it's not "perfect." For example, my Teknic Chicane perforated jacket fits great in the body, but the sleeves are too short. My Tourmaster Transition II jacket fits great, but isn't going to crash very well, etc. I also enjoy buying things and giving my perspective so others that read my blog can get an independent opinion before spending their money (see: Kel-Tec PF-9 review and my SentryPro XFC experience, both top-ranking search results on Google). The Motoport gear seemed to do everything I wanted: great protection, weather resistance, etc.

I would have definitely taken even a partial credit trade-in for a stretch kevlar jacket. If I had to do it over again, I would have done the mesh pants and the stretch jacket.

I have another jacket from a major manufacturer on order, so hopefully you'll have another review to read before too long ;)
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #797
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
I received my Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar jacket about 2 weeks ago. I love it.

Regarding the measurements.
When I gave Wayne my original measurements he told me I must have the sleeve measurement incorrect... so I re-did that measurement while I was on the phone with him. That time I came up with a measurement that was about 3 inches longer. I used a jacket to measure the second time.
They had my size in stock, with the only exception being the sleeve size was too long (2 in. longer than even my second measurement).
I asked Wayne to just go ahead and send me that jacket so that I could see how close it fit. The damn thing is perfect. I was so glad that they didn't make one to match the original measurements I gave... I was obviously doing something incorrectly.

I notice that my jacket came with the zipper pocket on the right sleeve. I think the OP in this thread mentioned that he put that in as a special request. Mine came with it automatically. Not sure if they're all coming that way now or not. As a side note, the cut and finish on my sleeve pocket are better than in the photo posted by the OP, with less bunching of the fabric... seems they learned a bit from doing that one.

I have found that the horizontal pocket in the lower back is PERFECT for the bladder from my camelback. I run the hose up through the fabric loop at the back of my neck and then I always have a drink handy without needing to wear the camelback. I also like that the pocket is on the outside of the armor, because I typically have some ice in the camelback bladder... so the hard ice is still outside the armor, rather than against my back in a fall.

I got this jacket too late in the season to really try it on the hottest of days (such as they are here in PA), but I have no doubt that it's going to be cool enough.
I have had a couple of pretty good chances to test out the rain liner and I can confirm that it works like a charm. Obviously the jacket is hotter with the liner in place. If I'm expecting rain later in the day then I install the liner but I only zip up the regular main jacket zipper... leaving a gap in my chest where the mesh can flow air inside the jacket. That helps keep me cool and it's quick to zip up the liner when the rain starts.

The coverage of the armor gives a much better feel than my roadcrafter and it also feels more likely to stay put. Part of that is because the armor coverage area is greater, but the velcro adjustments on the arms really help to lock the armor in place, especially when you change the # of layers you're wearing under it.

I haven't tested the armor or abrasion resistance on the road yet, but I have enjoyed two low speed biffs into loose rocks and both times I had to look back to see what I landed on because I didn't feel it at all.

I'm looking forward to receiving my pants. I went with the Ultra II Kevlar pants.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #798
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaulken
I think you're right about my long search for gear. The distinction I'd like to point out is that I don't think most of my gear is "bad," but it's not "perfect."
Good post. All to often, people take negative feedback as a slam. i saw nothing in your posts or on your blog that indicated you had some sort of agenda. I mean you did pay for the gear afterall. I like my Motoport Mesh that I bought used in the FM here. It's probably the best gear I've owned. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. I'll probably send it in to have some concerns addressed, but myself, like others, are always on the lookout for improvements, whether they're from Wayne, Halvarssons or someone else. If that makes me a "gear whore" then so be it. Never being satified with the status quo is what its all about. It's what drove most of us to Motoport.

Cheers
Brett
Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #799
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
Never being satified with the status quo is what its all about. It's what drove most of us to Motoport.

Cheers
Brett
It's what landed my old suit in your hands glad it's working out!
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:16 PM   #800
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
I wanted to update this thread to state that Wayne contacted me over email to resolve my situation. He offered to exchange it for a stretch kevlar jacket or issue a refund. I am sending the jacket back, as I had assumed the worst and ordered a different jacket from another vendor. There is a chance that another cobra-backed, no-chest, knuckledragger like myself may buy the jacket, but Wayne is essentially eating the cost of my order.

Once the return is complete I'll update the entries in this thread that contain the correspondence between Wayne and myself so that people reading the may quickly skip to the resolution phase. I am doing this under no pressure from Wayne. I wish I didn't have to be called an idiot and a n00b to get my return, but Wayne is refunding my money against his typical policy, and I believe that needs to be recognized as well.

Thank you to Wayne for working with me after a difficult transaction. I'll post again once the return is complete.
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #801
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Well, I'm glad that the transaction has reached a good resolution!! Kudos to Wayne, And Dr.F for working together. (I think you should have gone for the stretch kevlar jacket though). It just goes to show ya, "It ain't over till it's over!"
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #802
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

I just had a nice series of events fall into place.

1st) Receive my new Motoport jacket, which I love.
2nd) Aerostich announces a recall for the High Viz roadcrafter jacket that I'd bought earlier this season.

I was able to return the Roadcrafter jacket for a RiderWearhouse store gift card. I used it to buy boots and some bags because I can't imagine a time where I'd prefer to wear the Roadcrafter after wearing Motoport.
It really is that sweet.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #803
hetman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Can you sprinkle some of that good luck over the stock market?
hetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #804
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetman
Can you sprinkle some of that good luck over the stock market?
I'm doing my best to help things along by continuing to spend money on gear and farkles for my bike.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #805
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial
I'm doing my best to help things along by continuing to spend money on gear and farkles for my bike.

huzaah! that's the spirit!
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #806
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial
I used it to buy boots
You're going to love the boots. I love my Combat Lites. Probably around 35,000 miles, and, they're just about broken in. My wife might bury me in these boots, I'll have them that long (no cruel jokes, she's also 9 months pregnant)
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #807
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Jacket and pants came today!

My stuff came via UPS today. Like others have said, this stuff feels BULKY!! It kinda looks that way too., I guess until the armor forms and I have had it a while. My first ride let me know that this stuff does BREATH very well indeed! As long as I was moving, it did very well. When stopped It did well also but did warm up a bit. All was expected with fit, but I knew it would not be a problem because I went to Cycleport and had Wayne take the measurements. Any way I took some pic's. You will see how bulky it looks without the armor fully formed. Really, I'm NOT THIS BIG! (OK maybe a little bit of a dough boy, but not this much LOL!)

Some on the bike pic's

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

An off the bike pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

All the other normal pic's.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I think I'll post this pic also. I don't know what the heck it's supposed to prove, but here it is!
[IMG][/IMG]

I would like to thank Wayne and his crew for the over the top service and product. All the stitching is first rate! The rain liners are also very well made and fit well too! Thanks guy's!
Also thanks to Gringo!(Go collect on that lunch I got you from Wayne!)
Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #808
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigmanG/S
[IMG][/IMG]

So why are you wearing a fanny pack?

Seriously, it looks good to me, though I'm glad I got rid of the moobs. What made you decide to remove the lower jacket pockets?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #809
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
So why are you wearing a fanny pack?

Seriously, it looks good to me, though I'm glad I got rid of the moobs. What made you decide to remove the lower jacket pockets?
What's wrong with fanny packs???

We didn't go with the lower pockets because they would have been too short and pretty much useless. The body of the jacket is shorter than normal (22" vs 24") both because I'm short (5'-8") with a short torso, and because I didn't want to be sitting on the bottom of the jacket like I did with my Olympia AST jacket.(it was painful!) Guess that meant keeping the moobs!
The important question is......................Do these pants make my butt look fast?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:12 PM   #810
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,802
Nice fit...

I was wondering about the length of the jacket. Looks good shorter. I found I rarely use the upper pockets, but use the lowers all the time. It's great being able to customize this gear.

Mark B.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote