Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #826
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galroc
The bike has insulating grips, but the heat didn't seem to transfer well, and the tips of my fingers remained cold. I will have to find a solution for this, like hippo hands.
HIJACK!

Hand guards work pretty good at this.

HIJACK OFF!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #827
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
I used the insulating/rain liners for the jacket, but not the liner for the pants.

My thighs got a little cold.

The liners in the pants do make a good bit of difference as far as keeping out the cold. That extra windproof inner layer holds your body heat better.

I know this because the liners for my stretch kevlar pants are sitting in a truck somewhere in between Pennsylvania and California right now. One of the buttons broke on the liner so they're on the way back for warranty repair. As you can imagine, I've been missing them in the meantime.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #828
Garth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
This has been great reading...I am sold....I just dont know if a Vaca to So Cal is in order...lol...Garth
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #829
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth
This has been great reading...I am sold....I just dont know if a Vaca to So Cal is in order...lol...Garth
Yes.
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #830
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I rode to work today with my new motoport gear. It is about a 35 minute ride and it started out at 33F at my house and ended up at 40F at work. My wife took a photo of me before I left and hopefully I will get that online soon.

I used the insulating/rain liners for the jacket, but not the liner for the pants. The liner for the pants is just a rain liner. Underneath I was just wearing a long sleeve shirt and jeans.

I was comfortable in the chest/arms. My thighs got a little cold. I could see using insulating long underwear if it got colder than 30F or I could put in the rain liner to see if it adds a bit of warmth.

My hands were coldest and I was using BMW Winter gloves that I just bought (Read: Overpaid). The bike has insulating grips, but the heat didn't seem to transfer well, and the tips of my fingers remained cold. I will have to find a solution for this, like hippo hands.

I am gearing up and motorcycle boots is the last thing I need to purchase. When I post the photo, you will see me in regular shoes on the motorcycle, so don't laugh. I have settled on TCX Infinity's and I need to order them now.
Yep, good looking gear there. And like another poster said, Get some hand guards on the bars! Your hands will thank you for it.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:06 AM   #831
Galroc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I have been looking into hand guards for a few weeks.

Posted on October 8th: http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtop...094d71361fe160

Thanks for the advice..

Boots ordered..(updated: Boots not ordered...bummer)
Got to farkle the bike now that I am nearly done farkling myself.

Speaking of hands...
Yesterday, I had to go home to pick up our car, drop the bike off, before I went to watch my son play football. I needed the car to bring him home. A motorcycle rider came to the game, without gloves, but with leather jacket and jeans. He was riding a custom V2 with a suicide shift. I don't think it is harley based actually (Honda?). I overheard him asking his wife if she had gloves in her car because his hands were freezing! I know where he lives and he didn't have far to travel between his house and the school.

Too bad I didn't show up in ATGATT and stand next to him and mentioned how warm I was driving at 70mph on the highway...

Hijack off!
Galroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #832
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Too bad I didn't show up in ATGATT and stand next to him and mentioned how warm I was driving at 70mph on the highway...

Hijack off!

That would have been cold!!(Pun intended)

As far as boots, Have you looked into the Aerostich Combat touring (Or lites)boots? It took a while to get mine broke in, but now that they are, I love them! The cool thing about them is that they are rebuild-able. Need new buckles? buy them! need new sloe's? buy them and have them done!
They are not "water proof", but I have ridden in a down pour(California down pour.)for an hour and still had dry feet. There are boot rain covers made for them. They are a little on the expensive side, but the rebulidability makes them worth every penny. I met one guy that has had the same pair for 11 years!
But man, get the hand guards!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #833
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Another great story of Motoport customer service.
The first time I installed the liners in my stretch kevlar pants one of the buttons broke on the bottom of liner. Obviously this is a bad time of year to be without your liners so I was a little worried about how long it would take for me to get them back.
The tracking report for my shipment to motoport shows that it arrived 12:04 PM on 10/3. The tracking report for them shipping it back... 5:49 on 10/3.

Same day turn around on a warranty repair item.
Can't ask for anything better than that.

Thanks again to Wayne and crew.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #834
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Speaking of customer service,,, I'll bet that Dr.F has gotten his refund by now, but no post about it like he said he would. Anyone hear from him?? Did he get his $$$ back??
Old 11-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #835
bootzilla
Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer: 555
Got it! Well...had it a few weeks...

I have been gone for a couple of weeks moving (I'm actually only an hour away from wrigman now...small world), and I got my mesh jacket and pants the day I left...had to wait to until I got back to the East Coast to actually try them out on my bike.

I think the stuff looks and fits great - I don't have pics yet, but I got black mesh waistcut with Hi-Viz stretch accents, and everyone I have shown it to has given it a big thumbs up.

Love the armor coverage, and build quality is great. Material is stiff (you guys prepared me for that), but you can still move, and it seems like it will break in.

The only thing that has bugged me at all in the few chances I have had to ride (I get back, and my starter goes out...waiting on the part now) is that the zippers at the cuffs tend to work themselves back during normal movement, but my gloves cover that area, and there is velcro there, too, so it is not that big of a deal.

The best part - the mesh flows a LOT of air! You can even feel the breeze around to the back of the jacket. It's great - in the cool weather here on the East Coast, I've had to layer under it, but once I'm riding in sunny SoCal, it is going to be a lifesaver!

Oh, and the armor seemed a little stiff at the knee, but by the end of the first ride it had already started to mold itself into shape, and it has been comfy ever since.

I give it a big Can't wait to get the bike to Cali so I can get some real riding in and some longer-term impressions.

5 Different Nachos

bootzilla screwed with this post 11-11-2008 at 07:29 PM
bootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #836
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigmanG/S
Speaking of customer service,,, I'll bet that Dr.F has gotten his refund by now, but no post about it like he said he would. Anyone hear from him?? Did he get his $$$ back??
Nope, I waited as long as Wayne said it would take, but nothing's happened. I even waited an extra two weeks for it to show up on my CC. The charge is in dispute with my credit card company right now and I am trying not to talk about it in case something worse happens :(
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #837
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,466
Regular Ultra II or police Kevlar pant?

Well, it appears I'm going to go with the the Ultra II setup. Gringo's original post had me sold some time ago, but a few things sort of got in the way in between. Job, house, kid in college, blah...

After pointing out to my wife that her wardrobe did not include the same clothes from 1995, I'm going to update the old 2 pc stitch to the stretch kevlar setup. This has been a great thread for ideas and options, and in some ways, waiting a bit has been much more benficial in terms of really defining my setup.

One question I am still undecided on is the pants style- police or regular? Does anyone have any comparisons they can share? What are the big differences, other than the boot flare at the bottom?

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #838
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaulken
Nope, I waited as long as Wayne said it would take, but nothing's happened. I even waited an extra two weeks for it to show up on my CC. The charge is in dispute with my credit card company right now and I am trying not to talk about it in case something worse happens :(
Gotcha, I'll say no more about it. Hope it ends well.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #839
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie

One question I am still undecided on is the pants style- police or regular? Does anyone have any comparisons they can share? What are the big differences, other than the boot flare at the bottom?
The police jeans (or pants)have mesh on the front and stretch kevlar on the back. Also I didn't see any side pockets on them. The one's I saw could have been custom made though. I also dont know if there is an adjustable cuff on the police pants.

I got the ultra II pants and like them very much. The pockets on the side come in handy and don't bother me while I'm on the bike like I thought they would.

Enjoy your when you get them.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #840
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigmanG/S
I got the ultra II pants and like them very much. The pockets on the side come in handy and don't bother me while I'm on the bike like I thought they would.
I really, really like the side pockets on my pants, and I didn't think I would use them at all. They are very handy. Since the Ultra II pants have armor in the thigh I am less concerned about compounding any injuries I may sustain in a crash than in, say, my old Tour Master pants.

I saw a pair of the police pants at a motorcycling event last month. I was wearing my Ultra II pants, so I was able to do a slight comparison. I believe the Ultra IIs are built more for overpants use (which is great for me). I could be wrong, but the police pants looked to fit much like, well, riding pants. I would say my Ultra IIs fit more like cargo pants.

If you wind up getting the Ultra II pants, I recommend washing them a few times and then tumble-drying them with NO HEAT in a dryer with a pair of shoes or two. It really takes the brittleness out of the mesh kevlar.

I put about 2400 miles on my pants last month, including about 500 miles in absolutely torrential rain. They are really great, and I don't think the entry system to the Ultra II pants could be improved upon. There are some things I would like changed, but overall I am very happy with them.
DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote