User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #841
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Website now sucking even worse?

Love my Motoport gear and am in the market for a pair of leather pants. Wayne would automatically get my business by default. But as nearly as I can tell, it is simply impossible to navigate to Wayne's leather products on his existing website. WTF?
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 AM   #842
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaulken
If you wind up getting the Ultra II pants, I recommend washing them a few times and then tumble-drying them with NO HEAT in a dryer with a pair of shoes or two. It really takes the brittleness out of the mesh kevlar.
I think he was talking about the "regular" Ultra II pants (ie Stretch Kevlar) rather than the Air Mesh version.
I have the Mesh Jacket and the stretch kevlar pants... great combo for my temperature range here in Pennsylvania. The Quad armor was more difficult to break in with the pants but I figured out a good method. I wore the pants around the house one night and strapped the armor down tight to my leg (with an ace bandage or some string etc) then it formed to the shape/size of my legs pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass
Wayne would automatically get my business by default. But as nearly as I can tell, it is simply impossible to navigate to Wayne's leather products on his existing website. WTF?
Just call and talk to him.
This is a lot of money to drop on a purchase, so by talking to him you can make sure you're comfortable that you're getting what you wanted. Plus he can help you with the measurements over the phone.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #843
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,485
kee-recht- stretch kevlar pants. in looking at teh descriptions, it appears the po-po version and the regualr version both use the same fabric, simliar waist closures, but the police pants have a lig cuff zipper.

Do the ultra II also have a lower leg zipper, like the stitch pants? I typically wear my pants over my boots, and the ability to loosen the the leg cuffs comes in handy now and then.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #844
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie
kee-recht- stretch kevlar pants. in looking at teh descriptions, it appears the po-po version and the regualr version both use the same fabric, simliar waist closures, but the police pants have a lig cuff zipper.

Do the ultra II also have a lower leg zipper, like the stitch pants? I typically wear my pants over my boots, and the ability to loosen the the leg cuffs comes in handy now and then.
The ultra II's have the same cuff adjustment as roadcrafters have. The stretch fabric works well for this and is much more easy to deal with, but just like the Stich, Set it and forget it.
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #845
aclark79
Rotor Driver

Oddometer: 631
Got my gear in, UltraII top and bottom with a rain liner for both. I have to say the fit and finish is excellent. The jacket certainly fits like a glove so no complaints here. In the futur I would have added cuff zipper snaps, something to go over the zipper when the zip is fully done up on the sleve to prevent it from unzipping.... other than that its excellent.

I went with one of the emergency info pouches, but mines more of a velcored on and I haven't gotten the embroidery done yet.

I'm looking into the sun, (not normally that mad looking!)

Its certainly bulky looking, but when on it feels great, can't wait to try it out in the summer.

Vide, Aude, Tace

The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish

Experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him - Aldous Huxley
aclark79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #846
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
Looks great...

Kinda' wish I didn"t have the "man-boob" pockets on mine.

Mark B.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 AM   #847
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie
First there are the on/off zippers.
The one on left leg comes up the inside of the leg to above the knee. Easy enough to get your left foot in and out with boots on.
The zipper on the right left comes up the inner leg all the way up to the waist so that the right leg comes completely open.

As far as adjustment of the lower leg cuff, once your pants are zipped all the way there is a large (say 5 inch tall) section of velcro. You can just pull the cuff tight against your boot and it holds with velcro. Gives me enough adjustment that the pant leg fits equally well over my Sidi Crossfire MX boots or the considerably less bulky Combat Touring Boot Lites. I wear the Crossfires more often than not, just because I feel so much less protected by other boots.
I haven't had any issues with the pant cuff being loose or catching on my pegs.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:15 AM   #848
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc
Kinda' wish I didn"t have the "man-boob" pockets on mine.

Mark B.
Take em off. Takes about 30 sec. with a seam ripper...
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #849
ColorItBlue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I was at Wayne's shop for a few hours yesterday. The guy KNOWS about protective motorcycle clothing. He didn't just show up and try a make a few dollars. If there's a way for you to go by there it is not to be missed. OR, maybe don't go because you're gonna spend money regardless of what you're wearing now. Safety first...
ColorItBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #850
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042
Thumb Motoport + 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE
+ 2 Thumbs up for Motoport.
Attachment 157560
Had an unplanned (O SHIT) on road mishap and THANKS to the www.motoport.com gear (Kevlar Air Mesh 3/4 jacket & pants) I was wearing came out INJURY FREE !

IMO When it comes to protective clothing..... Aerostich, Motoport, Joe Rocket or you name it. SPEND as much of your money on protecting YOURSELF & those you LOVE by buying the very BEST gear you can afford.

You don't want to ever be in a situation where your are saying to yourself "Gee, I WISH I had bought better gear, because maybe I would not be in this hospital bed or going for my third skin graft".

You get the picture.

Just wear something = anything is BETTER than NOTHING.
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 PM   #851
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
What armor?

I'm glad to read that the gear did the job it is supposed to. I only have one question, were you using the tri-armor or the Quad-armor??
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #852
MaxThrottle

Oddometer: 61
Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE
Had an unplanned (O SHIT) on road mishap and THANKS to the www.motoport.com gear (Kevlar Air Mesh 3/4 jacket & pants) I was wearing came out INJURY FREE !

IMO When it comes to protective clothing..... Aerostich, Motoport, Joe Rocket or you name it. SPEND as much of your money on protecting YOURSELF & those you LOVE by buying the very BEST gear you can afford.

You don't want to ever be in a situation where your are saying to yourself "Gee, I WISH I had bought better gear, because maybe I would not be in this hospital bed or going for my third skin graft".

You get the picture.

Just wear something = anything is BETTER than NOTHING.
MaxThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #853
KarlJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
So I spent about 7 hours yesterday reading all 57 pages of this thread.....as a result I had a headache, my wife is ignoring me (payback for yesterday), and my vision is somewhat blurry.

I live in Toronto, Canada and after having a few different leather and nylon jackets that never fit properly and were always short of being what I really needed I am really looking forward to ordering the Ultra II or the Riva.

The website sure needs a lot of work so I am grateful to the members that have posted there opinions, blogs, pics, and rants about this stuff.

I have e-mailed Wayne at Cycleport with a few questions that I will also post here if some of you could answer for me.

I plan on ordering the Aero-Tex WBW liner (non-insulated) with the jacket but I am confused about the two Kevlars; Air-Mesh & Stretch Kevlar

1) I will be riding from 40F to 90F......here in Toronto the killer is the humidity and can raise temps about 15F to 105F.......and when I travel North even in July the temps will fall to the low 40's............so Mesh or Stretch(with the WBW liner)???

2) How much stiffer is the Mesh......I know some have described it as a "cheese grater"??? Does this mean that the Stretch Kevlar is soft?

3) I was considering flying out with my wife to San Diego to get measured up at Cycleport but with the cheapest flight being $1300 for the both of us I am considering recording myself and my wife measuring ourselves since I've read a few pages of "measurement issues"..........is this too over-the-top?

Thank you in advance for replies to my Q's

Karl
KarlJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #854
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJ
So I spent about 7 hours yesterday reading all 57 pages of this thread.....as a result I had a headache, my wife is ignoring me (payback for yesterday), and my vision is somewhat blurry...

How many hours of time was that?

Just a few thoughts. I have the stretch kevlar (street jeans) and find it very soft. I had a mesh jacket on briefly and really don't care for the material; stiff and rough. I'd rather sweat more. Just not a fan.

Flying out there to get the measurements correctly is way over the top! Between having someone measure you and talking to Wayne, it should be fine.
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #855
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJ
So I spent about 7 hours yesterday reading all 57 pages of this thread.....as a result I had a headache, my wife is ignoring me (payback for yesterday), and my vision is somewhat blurry.

I live in Toronto, Canada and after having a few different leather and nylon jackets that never fit properly and were always short of being what I really needed I am really looking forward to ordering the Ultra II or the Riva.

The website sure needs a lot of work so I am grateful to the members that have posted there opinions, blogs, pics, and rants about this stuff.

I have e-mailed Wayne at Cycleport with a few questions that I will also post here if some of you could answer for me.

I plan on ordering the Aero-Tex WBW liner (non-insulated) with the jacket but I am confused about the two Kevlars; Air-Mesh & Stretch Kevlar

1) I will be riding from 40F to 90F......here in Toronto the killer is the humidity and can raise temps about 15F to 105F.......and when I travel North even in July the temps will fall to the low 40's............so Mesh or Stretch(with the WBW liner)???

2) How much stiffer is the Mesh......I know some have described it as a "cheese grater"??? Does this mean that the Stretch Kevlar is soft?

3) I was considering flying out with my wife to San Diego to get measured up at Cycleport but with the cheapest flight being $1300 for the both of us I am considering recording myself and my wife measuring ourselves since I've read a few pages of "measurement issues"..........is this too over-the-top?

Thank you in advance for replies to my Q's

Karl
1) Tough question. I have the stretch pants (but Halvarssons Safety Jacket for the top) and even with the liner in the pants I find them a little cold around 45F and below. So the mesh will fair worse in the colder temps. On the flip side when it hits 80F and above (yes occassionaly here.. ), I find the stretch a little hot. Partly due to the amount of armour blocking any ventilation they may have. So with humidity they'll be even warmer.

2) Don't know. But stretch is soft. Almost like a pair of good jeans.

3) Probably. You should be fine with measuring if you're careful and follow the instructions exactly. Measure a few times to be sure and give them a call if you're unsure. They're pretty helpful (it's in their interest) in getting your measurements right. I'd save your money on the flight and use it to upgrade to the quad armour. The tri armour offers little protection in my humble opinion (there's a lot of it yes, but it doesn't absorb very much impact compared to CE compliant armour. The quad armour however does).

Hope that helps!
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote