Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #856
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,098
Crashed in Mexico...

...Wearing Wayne's Air Mesh Kevlar:

Just east of Puerto Vallarta near a town called Mascota.

Had Wayne's Air Mesh jacket and pants.

No photos of the gear, since after being washed you can't tell I slid 50 feet down the mountain road (!)

Left boot: torn up
Left glove: destroyed
Helmet: visor trashed

I can tell you that if I was wearing other gear (IMHO) I would have been hamburger.

Motorcycle (R1200GS Adventure): 3K worth of damage

New windscreen, running light, turn signal, all left side crash bars replaced, nose piece, handguard, mirror, etc.

Read all About it Here

....scroll down near the bottom of the page

I'd never wear any other gear than Wayne's...

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #857
KarlJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thanx for the reply, makinwaves,

So the stretch without the WBW liner would still be warm at 80F because of the armor? So is it more of the stretch Kevlar not being as porous as the Mesh because both jackets will still have the armor in the same places, no?

On the Motoport website under the Ultra II Kevlar Jacket (stretch) it says in red that if "you ride in 90F at slow speeds this jacket is for you"....is this exaggerated?

So now am I thinking of getting the Air-Mesh with both liners, the WBW and the thermo......but then the jacket will be made bigger to accommodate the two liners and in the summer I will be floating in the jacket, no???

Geez......I'm trying to buy the "do-it-all" jacket, hopefully Wayne replies to my e-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
1) Tough question. I have the stretch pants (but Halvarssons Safety Jacket for the top) and even with the liner in the pants I find them a little cold around 45F and below. So the mesh will fair worse in the colder temps. On the flip side when it hits 80F and above (yes occassionaly here.. ), I find the stretch a little hot. Partly due to the amount of armour blocking any ventilation they may have. So with humidity they'll be even warmer.

2) Don't know. But stretch is soft. Almost like a pair of good jeans.

3) Probably. You should be fine with measuring if you're careful and follow the instructions exactly. Measure a few times to be sure and give them a call if you're unsure. They're pretty helpful (it's in their interest) in getting your measurements right. I'd save your money on the flight and use it to upgrade to the quad armour. The tri armour offers little protection in my humble opinion (there's a lot of it yes, but it doesn't absorb very much impact compared to CE compliant armour. The quad armour however does).

Hope that helps!
KarlJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #858
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJ

Geez......I'm trying to buy the "do-it-all" jacket, hopefully Wayne replies to my e-mail.
Here's my opinion on this. I have the airmesh jacket and pant with rain liners. I think it's pretty damn close to a "do it all" set up. The place where it fails for me is winter riding. Once the temps hit the 30's I prefer to wear my Aerostitch Darien Jacket and Pants. For what ever reason, they are warmer, and with all the layers I've got on, it's one less layer (the Motoport Rain liners) that I have to zip up/velcro up and to get going.

When the all day temps are 40-50 and above I don't even think about wearing the stitch any more.

EDIT: Every time I read Waynes site, when it comes to temp range. He says the airmesh gear with liners will take you from -20 degrees f to 85 degrees f. I have no idea where he got that -20 number, or why he's stuck to it as he's update the garment info. It's insane. I wouldn't ride in +20 degree with just his liners, let alone -20.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #859
KarlJ
Adventurer

Thanx gramps,

I fired you off a PM with some additional Qs

I think the -20F is with the additional thermo liner......It's not even safe to ride at these temps, I'd be more worried about hitting ice than freezing.

Which jacket to do you have Ultra II, Ultra, Riva?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Here's my opinion on this. I have the airmesh jacket and pant with rain liners. I think it's pretty damn close to a "do it all" set up. The place where it fails for me is winter riding. Once the temps hit the 30's I prefer to wear my Aerostitch Darien Jacket and Pants. For what ever reason, they are warmer, and with all the layers I've got on, it's one less layer (the Motoport Rain liners) that I have to zip up/velcro up and to get going.

When the all day temps are 40-50 and above I don't even think about wearing the stitch any more.

EDIT: Every time I read Waynes site, when it comes to temp range. He says the airmesh gear with liners will take you from -20 degrees f to 85 degrees f. I have no idea where he got that -20 number, or why he's stuck to it as he's update the garment info. It's insane. I wouldn't ride in +20 degree with just his liners, let alone -20.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #860
KarlJ
Adventurer

Thanx gramps,

I think the -20F is with the additional thermo liner......It's not even safe to ride at these temps, I'd be more worried about hitting ice than freezing.

Quote:

Old 12-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #861
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Thanx gramps,

My POV on the cold weather temp, is the Ultra II w/rain liner, with Warm'n safe heated liner and patagonia R4 jacket. Seems to me I need to run the thermostat at a higher level when I've got the Motorport v. same temps with my Stitch. That level of layering in my stitch is good down to about +15f. Definitely got to add longjons/thermals if I'm trying to do temps below that.

But you're right, I don't ride in 15 degree temps very often, as we only see those lows a few times a winter, and black ice is too much of a hidden danger.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #862
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
If you're a Large, there is a steal on ebay right now. The jacket includes the waterproof liner, and, possibly the thermal. This is a screaming deal! If I had the money, I'd buy it, just to flip it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cycle...Q5fMerchandise
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #863
KarlJ
Adventurer

I just checked it out.....it seems strange that it is brand new with the tags on it and yet he can't get a refund.

Maybe he did too much "customizing".

I'll sign up for e-bay and e-mail the seller......thanx Jim.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #864
Lochlyn_Deckard
Dex Moto(naut)

Oddometer: 989
The But It Now option is incredibly low for all that gear. Wow.

The jacket does look custom just from the color configuration. Isn't there base policy that customized orders are "mostly" not refundable? From their site: "Customer Satisfaction 100% Guaranteed on all standard sized, standard color jackets." "Standard" appears to be the operative word.

Lochlyn_Deckard screwed with this post 12-27-2008 at 10:46 PM
Lochlyn_Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #865
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
the stretch kevlar breathes just fine.... and in really humid weather i dont want any more humidity getting thru than is absolutely necessary....i've worn mesh in the southeastern US summers and it was not pleasant.

with an evaporative cooling vest underneath, the stretch kevlar works great even on those 100/90 days.

IMO you do get a better fit with the stretch kevlar as it is accomodating for extra layers in winter and in the summer you can tighten the cinch straps without the material feeling all bunched up.

skip the insulated liner but get the waterproof liner along with a heated jacket liner instead.... that combo will let you ride any temps. (i've been out in 16 degrees)

I went with the Riva jacket and police pant

talk to wayne on the phone when ordering.... and have a fabric tape measure on hand.... Wayne and i went over all my measurements and when the suit arrived it was perfect..... there is a break in period for this gear as initially it felt very bulky....then after a few rides it didnt feel bulky at all.

dont worry you will love it.

KOokaloo!
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:09 PM   #866
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:

I just use his rain liner and my Gerbing's. Then it truly is a year-round setup. But I agree with you; even with both liners, under 40 degrees is a might uncomfortable.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #867
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Thanx for the reply, makinwaves,

So the stretch without the WBW liner would still be warm at 80F because of the armor? So is it more of the stretch Kevlar not being as porous as the Mesh because both jackets will still have the armor in the same places, no?
Hard to say as I have the pants only...but yes, I understand the stretch is less porous than the mesh.

Quote:
On the Motoport website under the Ultra II Kevlar Jacket (stretch) it says in red that if "you ride in 90F at slow speeds this jacket is for you"....is this exaggerated?
For me, 90+ in a t-shirt would be too hot! Unless the stretch blend had wicking properties, the only way to stay cool is to move air across your body.

Have a read of the website again...I read it as saying if you ride in 90F at slow speeds to {instead} consider the air mesh. i.e., not the stretch.

Quote:
So now am I thinking of getting the Air-Mesh with both liners, the WBW and the thermo......but then the jacket will be made bigger to accommodate the two liners and in the summer I will be floating in the jacket, no???

It's hard to find a single set of gear that can perform well on both sides of the temperature extremes. I wear nothing but an under armour t-shirt under my jacket during winter (temps down to 30F), but it reaches it's limit around 90F unless I'm moving fast. Note my jacket's a Halvarssons not Motoport. My stretch pants have a smaller temp range from about 45F to 80F. I wear the pants down to 30F but can feel the cold quite well. In cold weather (below ~60f) I use the WWB liner...don't have the insulation liner.
makinwaves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:47 AM   #868
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,893
Quote:
I just checked it out.....it seems strange that it is brand new with the tags on it and yet he can't get a refund.

Maybe he did too much "customizing".

I'll sign up for e-bay and e-mail the seller......thanx Jim.
I think those are stock sizes/colors. The pants at least look like the chinese mesh pants I bought last summer. Tags, which my custom stretch pants didn't have. Also, the cargo pockets are significantly smaller, and, the armor coverage isn't as extensive. My cargo pockets go all the way to the seam/reflective on the knee, and, the knee armor just touches the thigh armor. Seems insignificant, but, when I had both pants, there was a definite difference. Is that proof of custom vs. stock? No, but, maybe
My Med. mesh pants fit the same as my XS customs!

As for stretch vs. mesh? I wouldn't trade my stretch for the mesh, and, the mesh now live in Az with another inmate

And, as for temp. range, there is no way in hell you could wear this gear down to -20. I was good with both liners in the jacket down to around 40, then needed heat. That was with a mesh jacket. With the stretch, you might be able to go another 10F?

It's great gear. The stretch is so comfortable. The best overpants I've ever had, but, they are very clunky, and, couldn't be uglier. I recommend black, only because it shows the funk and bulk less.

Someone is going to get an incredible deal on this functional gear!

levain screwed with this post 12-28-2008 at 04:52 AM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:47 AM   #869
Bitt
Wanderlusting

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
As always - just a work of art! Thanks!
Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #870
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
As for stretch vs. mesh? I wouldn't trade my stretch for the mesh, and, the mesh now live in Az with another inmate
You called?

I wear the Mesh all the time. I bought a wind/water liner for the pants. I've ridden in sub freezing weather (it does get cold in the desert) with this setup on my Transalp and had no issue at all. I also wear the mesh in 100+ degree weather without any issue at all.