Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #871
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
3 years ago I got me the Ultra II stretch Kevlar pants and the Ultra II Mesh Kevlar jacket. For both I only got the wind/rain linners which I rarely use here in SoCal. This morning its in the mid 30's and I do have the linners in the jacket only. For the lower temps this morning I do have my Gerbing jacket and pant linners on. I have found this setup even when caught by snow to be all I've ever needed unless it is raining at which point I put the linner in the pants.

Summertime with its triple digit temps I wear Under Armore shorts and an Under Armore sleevless shirt and I stay nice and cool. Add a cooling vest and it just gets better.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #872
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
You called?

I wear the Mesh all the time. I bought a wind/water liner for the pants. I've ridden in sub freezing weather (it does get cold in the desert) with this setup on my Transalp and had no issue at all. I also wear the mesh in 100+ degree weather without any issue at all.
hey, there you are!glad it's working out for you!
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #873
KarlJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Well I e-mailed the buyer and it's an "off-the-shelf" Large......anyone know the measurements for that?

Still can't figure out; if it's off the shelf, has the tags, can't get a refund, and starting bid at $150???
KarlJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #874
KarlJ
Adventurer

You're correct.

The sentence starts "consider the Air-Mesh...90F....."

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
Hard to say as I have the pants only...but yes, I understand the stretch is less porous than the mesh.

For me, 90+ in a t-shirt would be too hot! Unless the stretch blend had wicking properties, the only way to stay cool is to move air across your body.

Have a read of the website again...I read it as saying if you ride in 90F at slow speeds to {instead} consider the air mesh. i.e., not the stretch.

It's hard to find a single set of gear that can perform well on both sides of the temperature extremes. I wear nothing but an under armour t-shirt under my jacket during winter (temps down to 30F), but it reaches it's limit around 90F unless I'm moving fast. Note my jacket's a Halvarssons not Motoport. My stretch pants have a smaller temp range from about 45F to 80F. I wear the pants down to 30F but can feel the cold quite well. In cold weather (below ~60f) I use the WWB liner...don't have the insulation liner.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #875
beck49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
KarlJ-

I ride in Buffalo, so similar temps. Have the Riva and the stretch Kevlar pants. Both are great. The stretch kevlar is very comfortable. It is soft and really conforms to your body after a few hours. I was concerned about the possible heat, but I would wear this stuff in any weather. I can ride into the 30's but have an electric vest and windproof liner. I don't know about how well something "off the rack" would fit, but if you can afford it, talk to Wayne and get the stuff made to fit. You can also get the extra pockets, hip pads, etc and get exactly what you want.

Brian
beck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #876
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Stretch Kevlar in So.Cal.

Karl,

Riding in So.Cal. with stretch Kevlar. So far, with temps from the low 30's to the low 100's(splitting lanes in bumper to bumper traffic at no more than 30mph)I have been able to stay comfortable. I have the rain/wind liners and have only had to use the liner in the jacket on my R1200GS. I have found that in the heat, as long as I'm moving at any speed above 15mph I stay as cool as I did in my Olympia mesh jacket, but as you know, the Motoport is better armored. Don't worry about the stretch kevlar in the heat. It's much better than most suits in the heat.
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 PM   #877
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,484
A Christmas dilemna...

Wifey thought kindly of me this year, and went out and bought a new Aerostich two-piece for me, all by herself, for Christmas.

I had done the research, and was waiting to pull the trigger on the stretch kevlar Cycleport getup this Feb, once the bonus check rolls in.

Should I risk the wrath of SWMBO for the return of the 'stitch, or just live with it? I've had a 'stitch for 15 yrs, but it seems to have shrunk a bit over time, and it's due for replacement.

Trixie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #878
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie
Wifey thought kindly of me this year, and went out and bought a new Aerostich two-piece for me, all by herself, for Christmas.

I had done the research, and was waiting to pull the trigger on the stretch kevlar Cycleport getup this Feb, once the bonus check rolls in.

Should I risk the wrath of SWMBO for the return of the 'stitch, or just live with it? I've had a 'stitch for 15 yrs, but it seems to have shrunk a bit over time, and it's due for replacement.
WOW! guess all I can say is sometimes it IS just much more easy to ask for forgivness

As far as shrinkage goes, i hate when that happens! I've had two Vanson jackets do that to me!
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #879
KarlJ
Adventurer

Wayne e-mailed me this afternoon and asked that I call him tomorrow. I will, but I know that as soon as I hang up I will think of something that I forgot to ask him.

I will post whatever useful info I can after the call, as that might help someone else ( as this thread and people's inputs have helped me so far)
Old 01-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #880
ColorItBlue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
noob

After 1000 miles with my Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket and Stretch Kevlar Street Jeans I am really liking this setup. I tried on the Aerostich and knew that I would be boiling hot 80% of the time. There was also the issue of too much me and not enough room in the Aerostich one piece. I went down to Wayne's place and got measured up so his stuff fits me great. I got his extra strong armor in the jacket so I feel safe, knock on wood. I"ve ridden with running tights under the pants and a light cotton sweatshirt under the jacket (with windproof liner) at 45F comfortably. I just got back from a ride today with a t-shirt underneath at 80F and was very comfy. That mesh jacket really lets the air flow right through even with the mondo-armor. Somehow the black fabric of the kevlar jeans doesn't not absorb the heat from the sun. If I had to pick I'd say the collar isn't perfect. I'd also say short style gloves with a mini-gauntlet (or none) are in order for me otherwise the tightness at the wrist makes my hands a bit numb.
ColorItBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #881
Bitt
Wanderlusting

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorItBlue
I just got back from a ride today with a t-shirt underneath at 80F and was very comfy.
Well, that's just great.
I just wanted to send a big from up here in the Great NorWet

No, seriously its good to hear it is still nice somewhere!
Bitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #882
joweb94
Avid Rider

Oddometer: 2
New Year New Cycleport Pants

For the first time I have lower body protection. Not pround of this fact but better late than never. I sent in my order for Ultra II Stretch Kevlar Pants (black) with liner, Quad Armor upgrade and hip pads on January 8, 2009 and today January 16, 2009 I'm riding with them.

Everything seems just right. Very happy with Cycleport.
joweb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #883
glc
the livest 1

Oddometer: 15
New Year New Motoport Riva Air Mesh Jacket

took 1 month and one return for better fitting and im stoked! great service from wayne, great fit, warm as can be(w/liner) and hopefully wheneva hell decides to wash winter away and bring summer back, it will ride cool.
glc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #884
John T
John T.

Oddometer: 167
My review

I purchased my gear just shy of a year ago. I wanted to wait a year before I gave a review to allow the gear to break in and give me a chance to ride in different weather.

Background info:
I had read about MotoPort’s gear on a few forums, but never got excited about it. At the 2007 Western FJR Owners get together I was able to put my hands on the MotoPort gear. Wayne had brought pretty much his entire show room. In addition, he had samples of the new armor that was soon to be released and a sample of his new Kevlar glove.

I was very impressed with the quality of gear, and Wayne’s customer service. I decided on my trip home I was going to purchase a set of gear from MotoPort.

The ordering process:
I emailed Wayne to get final prices and discuss the costs for some modifications I was interested in. Wayne replied within a few hours with some details and asked if I would call him. I gave him a call and we talked about my needs and the options I was interested.

Over the next couple days we emailed back and forth a few times with more questions and answers. We set a date and I flew down from Reno, NV to get fitted and have Wayne make sure I was in the correct size gear. My flight cost me $121 on Southwest and my rental car cost $26. I figured $150 to ensure my gear fit perfectly was worth it.

Wayne took the time to show me around the shop to look at the materials, gear in for repair, and some really nice gear he was making for a police force in Asia. The police jackets he was making were real slick looking. Now, this is something I consider really cool. Wayne took the time to introduce me to his staff, the people who would be creating my gear.

After the fitting we talked about options and worked out a total costs. My order included the following:

Ultra 2 Air Mesh Kevlar jack – I picked the color combination
Air Mesh Kevlar Pant – I picked the stock colors for the grey pant
Upgraded armor for jacket and pant
Rain liners
Kevlar racing gloves

Jacket options:
Emergency information pocket
Key pocket on left arm
Thermal liner
Reflective strips on the arms
Removal of Motoport logos
Map pockets on both chest pockets

Pant options:
Hip armor
Suspenders
Removal of Motoport logos

I received my gear 18 days later, five days earlier then planned. I was happy about this.

Glove review:
These gloves are awesome after they are broken in. The break-in time for me was about four months. I tend to ride 70 to 100 miles a day five days a week. They take a long time to break in and relax a bit. I do however have a warning for those who just purchased the gloves. Do not, I repeat, do not scratch your face. The material on the palm and fingers is aggressive, at first it feels like sandpaper on the face. It feels like you took skin off. After some time this is not an issue.

Temperature review:
My temp range was as hot as 105
riding in Nevada’s dry heat and as low as -4 on a road trip from Reno, NV to Tulsa, OK passing though Flagstaff, AZ at 2:00am.

Hot weather – The gear does not get as hot as my other gear did. I can’t explain it, but it seems the gear does not absorb heat. Dehydration is an issue when wearing mesh gear in hot weather, but I managed that very well. In addition I purchased an evaporative vest and we extremely please with the outcome.

Cold weather – With the rain liners and thermal liner in the jacket the -4 was slightly chilled. However, I was in a t-shirt and short. If, I had long pants and shirt I am sure I would not have been chilled.

Here is a temp break down for my temps, when wearing shorts and t-shirt:
Pant / 45 to 110
Pant w/rain liner / 0 to 60
Jacket / 40 - 110
Jacket w/rain liner / 20 - 60
Jacket w/rain & thermal liners / -15 - 40
**The low for jacket w/ both liners is an estimate. My real low is -4 and I felt fine**

Other things to consider, my FJR has good wind protection and I have a good amount of insulation. Skinny people will get cold sooner then I do.

General review:
Initial review:
This gear solid, stiff, and feels much safer then the gear I was using. I was impressed how the hi-viz green stood out. The gear is very stiff. However, it is not uncomfortable by any means.

After break-in:
The gear is still bulky, but not stiff. The bulk is not an issue by any means. I just can’t lay my jacket and pants across the back of a chair as the weight seems to help it find a way to the floor.

The gear is very comfortable. I don’t mind wearing it indoors. In the past with my Tourmaster (and other brands before Tourmaster) gear I would take my jacket off and cable it to the bike when going into a store. It was just too hot to run into a store and stand in line wearing the jacket. Even then, I found I was irritable as I was over heating from the pants. With the MotoPort gear I can wear it in a store and not be uncomfortable at all.

There is however a small issue wearing the gear into store. I am confused for a police officer on a regular basis. It appears the chest and back armor give the impression I have a bullet proof vest on. If, I am not confused as a police officer I am confused for a fire fighter or a member of a search and rescue team. The emergency information pocket gives this impression. Once, while pumping gas I went into the store for a drink and got the weird look I have gotten used to. He is trying to figure out what type of gear I am wearing, and then he asks “Are you a dog trainer.” What? I asked why he would think that. He thought it was a suit used to train police dogs to attack.

Have you known some nut that always wears shorts and t-shits regardless of the weather? I am one of those people. I flat out hate wearing jeans. As a MSF RiderCoach I would find myself irritable after a day of teaching on the range as I need to wear long pants. Shortly after receiving my MotoPort gear I started wearing shorts and the mesh Kevlar pants while teaching. Since the gear allows airflow and does not absorb heat I have no issues wearing these while teaching. In fact, I am going to order a pair in the near future without any armor to wear while teaching.

Issues:
The neck snaps just did not work for me. The two snaps on the neck worked when I was not using the liners. If, I had the liners in the snaps were too tight, or to loose. When it was loose I would get a breeze down the neck and it would catch on the chin strap on my helmet. My solution was to send it back and have Motoport add a third snap in the middle position.
One of the snaps on the thermal liner broke. MotoPort fixed this for free when I had a snap added to the neck.

Conclusion
I could not be happier with the performance and design of the gear. It is very versatile for hot and cold weather. I feel I am safer in this gear compared to other gear I have owned.
For me, the key was to listen to Wayne’s advice. I had this idea how gear should fit from wearing other gear and wanted to profit all kinds of input. However, I decided it was his gear and he would know best. So, I let him tell me how it should fit and planned on asking to have some modification be made. In the end, the gear fits better then any other gear I have owned.
John T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #885
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,320
Don't know how recent this is, as I don't check the motoport website often, but noticed today that it is much better than it has been in the last 2-3 iterations.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote