User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #886
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
New website is BETTER!

I looked at the new website today. Looks WAY better than it did! Wayne said some minor tweaks still will be made to it. He seems excited that the new site is up. He also is thinking about giving Overland Journal some gear to test. They came to him and said they were doing a test and comparo of Top-end Cycle gear and asked him if he wanted to join in with some of his gear. I told him to GO FOR IT! It could only help to get the word out for this great gear!
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #887
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
bitchie

Dr. faulken sounds like a spoiled brat----my broad back----tailor fit it for me over da phone daddy waaaa,waaaa
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 AM   #888
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13
Dr. faulken sounds like a spoiled brat----my broad back----tailor fit it for me over da phone daddy waaaa,waaaa
Dood,

Try to keep up...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 AM   #889
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13
Like others, I followed his transactions with Wayne and Motoport. I was impressed with how well he handled that situation. I was also impressed with the fact that Wayne took the jacket back. Wayne really impressed me on a visit last year. As a business owner, I feel that you are only as strong as your people, and, he showed a tremendous amount of respect for his staff. It was nice to see.

levain screwed with this post 02-24-2009 at 05:51 AM
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #890
aka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Moving to the desert soon and have a few questions regarding the suit: I know you guys are not the vendor but so often owners have the better answers for these questions.

-How waterproof is the full $199 liner and how seamlessly does the liner integrate?

-Why the heck is the suit considerably more then the pants and jacket separately? It seems like separate there would be more seams, zippers, etc, etc so the separates should cost more. Are long YKk zippers $250?

-How reasonably priced are repairs- say if the suit was cut off?

-Would omitting many of the pockets help with the price?

Thanks!
aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #891
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka
Moving to the desert soon and have a few questions regarding the suit: I know you guys are not the vendor but so often owners have the better answers for these questions.

-How waterproof is the full $199 liner and how seamlessly does the liner integrate?
Been through a couple monsoons with mine. High and dry. Keep in ming though that the waterproof liner DOES NOT BREATHE. So if its raining and warm (90F+), you may have to think about putting it in.

Quote:
-Why the heck is the suit considerably more then the pants and jacket separately? It seems like separate there would be more seams, zippers, etc, etc so the separates should cost more. Are long YKk zippers $250?
Dunno

Quote:
I believe Wayne has said that if it cannot be repaired, he'll replace it for free. No idea what the repairs run though.

Quote:
-Would omitting many of the pockets help with the price?
Maybe

Quote:
Thanks!
Cheers
Old 02-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #892
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Like others, I followed his transactions with Wayne and Motoport. I was impressed with how well he handled that situation. I was also impressed with the fact that Wayne took the jacket back. Wayne really impressed me on a visit last year. As a business owner, I feel that you are only as strong as your people, and, he showed a tremendous amount of respect for his staff. It was nice to see.
Not so rosy end to this story according to his blog. It states Wayne never gave the promised refund and instead Faulken had to take the dispute to his credit card company. They ruled in his favour and issued the refund.
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #893
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka
Thanks!
I have Ultra II stretch kevlar pants with the liners and wear them 5 days a week since last November i nthe Seattle area (except icy road days).

Each trip (22miles each way - 35 minutes) to the office or home I checked for water between the liner and pant interior to see if I really needed to wear the liner for rain or not for commuting, especially come warmer weather. No water yet. No super heavy downpours yet either, but some good solid rain for a time. Both on my KLR (no real fairing to block rain) and on my tour bike (so has a fairing). Even crash tested them when the KLR went down sliding along on black ice on an on-ramp. They came out unscathed as did I.

So the last 2 weeks I have been riding without the liner to see how cold and wet I might get. Today was 36 to 38 degrees. Had a few rainy trips. Went into a store and came out with a very wet motorcycle seat to sit on. Brushed the excess water off and proceeded to work. Would I be dry?

The answer was yes - bone dry. No soak through (Wearing jeans under - would easily notice if they got wet), the water beads up and rolls/blows off very well. I am still comfortably warm enough too, so the liners did not add that much warmth factor. That probably bodes well for warmer weather wear.

I got them muddy on single track the other weekend and machine washed per the instructions and sprayed with 303 Fabricguard and they perform as above. I suppose if you let them get really dirty, the water would not roll off and may soak through faster. But so far, it seems I can get away without the liner for short commute trips. At the destination, I can remove the pants, give them a shake and they are practically dry again.

For the future off road stuff, I am getting some Klim Dakar pants and knee guards - washing, drying, spraying, drying these nice Motoport pants just does not seem right and takes some time. I would rather sacrifice something cheaper and toss them into the washer and have them ready to trash in 2 hours.

- Mike
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #894
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
Not so rosy end to this story according to his blog. It states Wayne never gave the promised refund and instead Faulken had to take the dispute to his credit card company. They ruled in his favour and issued the refund.
I talked to Wayne about this. It seems that Faulken jumped the gun and took his claim to dispute too soon. Had he waited a while the charge would have been credited to his card WITHOUT going to dispute. Wayne didn't fight anything to get Faulken his money back in a timely manner.
I will say this, and this IS only my opinion. After reading Faulken's blog.....
He's a Faulken idiot.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 AM   #895
Galroc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
There are deadlines with credit card disputes. As far as I recall, you must dispute a charge within 45 days of when credit card bill is issued. Since the dispute with Wayne took a while, Faulken might have been running out of time to dispute the charge. If Faulken let that lapse, then his only recourse is the good will of Wayne.

I am very happy with my suite from Wayne but I also wouldn't let that 45 day deadline expire and lose the protection of my credit card.
Galroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #896
geo-k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Question about Motoport Kevlar jacket/pants.

If anyone can help me out that actually owns some Motoport Kevlar gear, how thick is it? Is it one layer, or two folded over? Does it have reinforcing layers on shoulders or elbows, etc? I purchased over 10 yards of the stuff (Keprotec, specifically) late last year when a retailer was closing down, and was toying with the idea of making some protective clothing with the stuff. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.
geo-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #897
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-k
If anyone can help me out that actually owns some Motoport Kevlar gear, how thick is it? Is it one layer, or two folded over? Does it have reinforcing layers on shoulders or elbows, etc? I purchased over 10 yards of the stuff (Keprotec, specifically) late last year when a retailer was closing down, and was toying with the idea of making some protective clothing with the stuff. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.
Can't speak well of the stretch kevlar, but the mesh is one layer with a hanging layer of nylon (or something like it) to keep the abrassive mesh and your skin separate.

No reinforcements aside from 2nd layers for pockets.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #898
klopfi
Professional Struggler

Oddometer: 119

I thrashed my GP2 suit and the cost of having it patched was about 25% of the original purchase price... Having the damaged panels replaced would have been about 50% - but I kind of like the hobo-suit aspect of the patches - reminds me that I should avoid wildlife.

Ride safe,

jim
"It's always good to see young people taking an interest in danger. Now, a lot of people are going to be telling you you're crazy, and maybe they're right. But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" - Captain Lance Murdoch

Carpe Spargel!
klopfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #899
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigmanG/S
I talked to Wayne about this. It seems that Faulken jumped the gun and took his claim to dispute too soon. Had he waited a while the charge would have been credited to his card WITHOUT going to dispute. Wayne didn't fight anything to get Faulken his money back in a timely manner.
I will say this, and this IS only my opinion. After reading Faulken's blog.....
He's a Faulken idiot.
Not taking sides here...but it takes about the same amount of time for Wayne to charge your credit card for payment as it does for him to apply a refund to it. Then a couple / three days for it to show up on your online statement. After two weeks waiting, plus the numerous other delays in resolving the dispute, I think it was quite reasonable for Faulken to elevate matters to his credit card company. Plus as another pointed out, there are time limits to do so.

If you publicly promised a refund, why would you wait weeks to process it when it only takes 30 seconds to do so?

I don't really care one way or the other. But at the end of the day, regardless of whether the customer is right or wrong, Wayne would have been better off taking the loss than to lose any potential faith (sales) from the ADV-devoted fans. It's a great product, why sour the image with a public dispute?!!
makinwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #900
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
Not taking sides here...but it takes about the same amount of time for Wayne to charge your credit card for payment as it does for him to apply a refund to it. Then a couple / three days for it to show up on your online statement. After two weeks waiting, plus the numerous other delays in resolving the dispute, I think it was quite reasonable for Faulken to elevate matters to his credit card company. Plus as another pointed out, there are time limits to do so.

If you publicly promised a refund, why would you wait weeks to process it when it only takes 30 seconds to do so?

I don't really care one way or the other. But at the end of the day, regardless of whether the customer is right or wrong, Wayne would have been better off taking the loss than to lose any potential faith (sales) from the ADV-devoted fans. It's a great product, why sour the image with a public dispute?!!
OK first off, The last line in my post has NOTHING to do with Wayne, Motoport, or Cycleport. As I said after reading Faulkens blog I came to my own opinion, and that is it.

We can do a he said-he said all day, but in the end you asked the right question. The answer is a good business man would NOT. I believe that Wayne IS a good business man. The problem rested with Faulkens credit card company. Wayne did what he had to do to make the process go well.
I think we all know how the credit card companies can be sometimes. Nuff said.