Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 AM   #901
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
This doesn't add much to the discussion, but I've had dealings with Wayne, and I think his customer service is (and his products are) first class.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #902
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,551
Stretch VS Mesh

I'm starting to gear up for getting back on the road from my femur fracture and I'm considering getting some pants from Wayne. I will eventually get a jacket, but hopefully I'll be slimming down some more before I commit to one.

I really want an pair of year round pants. Here in the PNW I'm not as concerned with really high temp riding as we rarely see temps over 90. For the last 20k miles I've been wearing Firstgear HT2 overpants Fall>Winter>early spring and HT air mesh (with liners in) pants once the temps stay around 65-70 and pull the liners around 80.

My 2 main concerns are good thigh armor (FG pants have none) to protect my $150K rebuilt leg. And decent water resistance for the many sportic showers we get until mid summer. If I don't have to stop to put the liners in for a 20 minute shower all the better. Does the liner for the mesh pants breath as well as the HT air liner?

I read K7MDL's post about how water proof the Stretch pants are w/o the liners and it sounds great, but how well do these pants breath compared to the symplex lined HT2 or the HT Air.

Thanks

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #903
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto
I'm starting to gear up for getting back on the road from my femur fracture and I'm considering getting some pants from Wayne. I will eventually get a jacket, but hopefully I'll be slimming down some more before I commit to one.

I really want an pair of year round pants. Here in the PNW I'm not as concerned with really high temp riding as we rarely see temps over 90. For the last 20k miles I've been wearing Firstgear HT2 overpants Fall>Winter>early spring and HT air mesh (with liners in) pants once the temps stay around 65-70 and pull the liners around 80.

My 2 main concerns are good thigh armor (FG pants have none) to protect my $150K rebuilt leg. And decent water resistance for the many sportic showers we get until mid summer. If I don't have to stop to put the liners in for a 20 minute shower all the better. Does the liner for the mesh pants breath as well as the HT air liner?

I read K7MDL's post about how water proof the Stretch pants are w/o the liners and it sounds great, but how well do these pants breath compared to the symplex lined HT2 or the HT Air.

Thanks
I haven't ridden with the pants you asked about. I used to use a pair of Aerostich road crafter pants with the bib suspenders in the winter/spring and a pair of First gear mesh pants in the summer. The stich pants are like a sauna even in the spring and late fall. I have found that I can ride with the Kevlar stretch pants just fine up to about 105deg. After that, I don't think even mesh pants help. The Kevlar stretch pants breath real well AND they regulate your body temp. The sun doesn't even heat up the black pants. I'd say, given the conditions you ride in, get the stretch pants. I have ridden in mild rain with out the liners for about 45min. and been dry.
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #904
makinwaves
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto

Thanks
Brian,

We live in the same neck of the woods....look up and to the left, I'm about 75 miles from you across the water and int'l border. I know what you mean about breathability in our wet winters (and springs and falls).

First, armor - whatever you do, if you're serious about protecting your leg, don't get the standard tri-armor that the pants come with. It's crap. There are very few bad things you can say about Motoport gear beyond styling, but the tri-armor is really bad. Sorry if that offends anyone. Instead, ask for the less advertised (not even sure it's on their website) quad armor. Far superior stuff. Expensive, but well worth it. Alternatively, you could ask for no armor and look at tpro or equivalent options.

Second, waterproofness - The optional inner water proof liner that you can get is really good. It breaths very well and I've never noticed my legs / back of knees getting sweaty. I add the liner starting in about October and leave it in until about May. Once temperatures hit above 70 you'll want to take it out, but otherwise it's great. Only pain is that it is an inner liner versus outer overpant. So if it's a real downpour in the summer you have to strip down to your skivvies on the side of the road to add the liner, then put the pants back on. I ride every day and have never been uncomfortable with any potential non-breathing issues.

Also, for our summer temperatures, I'd definitely opt for the stretch kevlar versus the mesh. It just doesn't get hot enough here to warrant the less comfortable mesh. The stretch is super soft and easy to put on / take off (pull on/off like sweatpants, don't bother with the velcro - that's Wayne's method too).

Hope that helps! If you're real interested in seeing the gear, PM me, hop on a ferry and come see first hand. I have the stretch kevlar, quad armor and liner.
makinwaves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 AM   #905
Donster
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
Brian,

We live in the same neck of the woods....look up and to the left, I'm about 75 miles from you across the water and int'l border. I know what you mean about breathability in our wet winters (and springs and falls).

First, armor - whatever you do, if you're serious about protecting your leg, don't get the standard tri-armor that the pants come with. It's crap. There are very few bad things you can say about Motoport gear beyond styling, but the tri-armor is really bad. Sorry if that offends anyone. Instead, ask for the less advertised (not even sure it's on their website) quad armor. Far superior stuff. Expensive, but well worth it. Alternatively, you could ask for no armor and look at tpro or equivalent options.

Second, waterproofness - The optional inner water proof liner that you can get is really good. It breaths very well and I've never noticed my legs / back of knees getting sweaty. I add the liner starting in about October and leave it in until about May. Once temperatures hit above 70 you'll want to take it out, but otherwise it's great. Only pain is that it is an inner liner versus outer overpant. So if it's a real downpour in the summer you have to strip down to your skivvies on the side of the road to add the liner, then put the pants back on. I ride every day and have never been uncomfortable with any potential non-breathing issues.

Also, for our summer temperatures, I'd definitely opt for the stretch kevlar versus the mesh. It just doesn't get hot enough here to warrant the less comfortable mesh. The stretch is super soft and easy to put on / take off (pull on/off like sweatpants, don't bother with the velcro - that's Wayne's method too).

Hope that helps! If you're real interested in seeing the gear, PM me, hop on a ferry and come see first hand. I have the stretch kevlar, quad armor and liner.
Why do you say the tri-armor is "really bad"? The statement doesn't offend me, but as the owner of a tri-armor equipped jacket, I am extremely curious about the basis for your opinion.
Donster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #906
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinwaves
Brian,

The stretch is super soft and easy to put on / take off (pull on/off like sweatpants, don't bother with the velcro - that's Wayne's method too).
Huh, I never thought of just slipping into the stretch, but I guess you can. You must be a pants into boot guy and you put your boots on afterwards.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #907
jstbrlywlkn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
cycleport(motoport)

My dealings with Wayne were always good. He usually answered the phone!

I have the same Kevlar jacket in the pictures at the beginning of this thread, but not the pants. I am grossly overweight so I had to purchase a custom size. I got it with both liners (waterproof and cold weather) and paid 854 USD for all to my door, back in 2003, early 2004. The liner came separately 3 months later, as there was a supply issue (no gore-tex like lining available). I made the mistake of ordering it in the HI-VIZ lime green. Faded very badly. I'm sure that the newer colorings are much better now. I still wear it ATGATT. A few of the other riders I've ridden with have preferred that I take another jacket to dinner! I prefer that myself. But, as the most expensive article of clothing I've ever bought, I'm not going to stop using it/throw it away until it's useless.

It has been a very good jacket and liners, even after 5 years. I've ridden in temperatures up to 115 deg F in Las Vegas. Yes, I was hotter than stink, but I expect that in hell, and environs! It has excellent breathing tendencies (remember, I'm talking jacket only - no experience with the pants, unfortunately). It has always protected me from sunburn, and as long as I was moving, had good air circulation. With the waterproof liner, there has never been water penetration from the material in the rare instances I was in a deluge.

One thing that Wayne has not been able to do (3 years ago) was to re-color the jacket to a dark grey or black or lime green. I still search the internet for color solutions occasionally, as I am as embarrassed as my buddies, and too cheap to throw out $850! Maybe I'll call him again soon.

jstbrlywlkn screwed with this post 03-07-2009 at 11:21 AM Reason: make clarifications/correctons
jstbrlywlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #908
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-k
If anyone can help me out that actually owns some Motoport Kevlar gear, how thick is it? Is it one layer, or two folded over? Does it have reinforcing layers on shoulders or elbows, etc? I purchased over 10 yards of the stuff (Keprotec, specifically) late last year when a retailer was closing down, and was toying with the idea of making some protective clothing with the stuff. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.
The stretch kevlar is 1 layer, same for the knees. There is a mesh liner inside plus extra mesh liner for armor pockets. Based on my one and only low speed asphalt slide, the material only needs one layer, not a trace of the event shows on the material. Also, the tri-armor hip and thigh armor worked well. I never felt a thing actually. Only my (non-motoport) coat elbow armor rolled slightly and the second bounce was felt on the inside elbow. This was a sliding event - direct impact wil have potentially different outcomes.

I have experienced more heavy rain since my last post and still totally dry without liners. Up to 45 minutes now per trip with near full -on rain. My jacket attempts to pour rain down into my crotch, I ensure the front of the jacket is pulled down and prevent puddling. I am sure the zippers cannot hold water back :-).
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #909
aka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thanks to the several people who answered my numerous questions.
aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #910
rotorOrange
n00bin' it up.

Oddometer: 15
Talking Got my motorport gear today -- here's a few more pics for the pool.

Look what I got from the UPS Santa today...

An Ultra II air-mesh 3/4 length jacket and a pair of black quad-armor stretch-kevlar pants! I have only been wearing them for a day, but already I am convinced I made the right choice. This stuff has an incredible build quality, feel, fit and finish. What's more, Wayne's patience and thoroughness on the size process meant I got a suit that seems to fit me perfectly. I couldn't be happier!!!

More Pics:

[IMG]ttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_FnK-nf_g1VI/SbiyI1tZ1oI/AAAAAAAADjo/jIwsTvfSgeQ/s800/IMG_3781.JPG[/IMG]

More of a story here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441926
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #911
Jim Goose
Bad Ass.

Oddometer: 123
Ultra kevlar mes pant question

Anyone have these in grey? How are they with the black panels on the inseams.

trying to stay away from black.
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #912
evehow
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi there, signed up with ADVrider just to make this enquiry. I've been emailing Motoport at his various email addresses but have received no response or acknowledgment for the past week. It's not convenient (or cheap) for me to call as I'm in Singapore. Is Motoport still handling web enquiries or is he now focused solely on walk-in customers?

I also wanted to check if any ladies here have ordered Wayne's pants (Kevlar air mesh). My chief concern is sizing and as I looked at his sizing instructions, I am not sure if he caters to women's "unique proportions". Any feedback will be appreciated!
evehow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #913
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
evehow,

You definitely need to call Motoport, i tried emailing a couple times and didnt get a response.

i know the phone call is difficult in your case, but it will have the best results.
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #914
wrigmanG/S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by evehow
Hi there, signed up with ADVrider just to make this enquiry. I've been emailing Motoport at his various email addresses but have received no response or acknowledgment for the past week. It's not convenient (or cheap) for me to call as I'm in Singapore. Is Motoport still handling web enquiries or is he now focused solely on walk-in customers?

I also wanted to check if any ladies here have ordered Wayne's pants (Kevlar air mesh). My chief concern is sizing and as I looked at his sizing instructions, I am not sure if he caters to women's "unique proportions". Any feedback will be appreciated!
Wayne does custom sizing, so be it men or women's sizes, he'll nail it. He does suits for Singapore motorcycle police, maybe they can help with a contact. If not, the phone call would be worth it!!
wrigmanG/S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #915
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,032
I was there yesterday. Wayne told us a story about a guy 550#! he was wider than he was tall, and, they made his pants on the first try!
levain is offline   Reply With Quote