Oddometer: 229
Thanks for the clarification, psc.
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #992
Repko
Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer: 538
Gloves made in China

Maxthrottle the gloves are made in china because Wayne told me they are the only manufacture able to cut the Kevlar materiel in a rounded finger tip!

The other samples came back from other vendors with flat finger tips. Wayne told me he has to replace the blades often, he uses in-house for cutting all the Kevlar materials.

Should have the new gear fairly soon. 2 weeks?
Amazing love (grace) how can it be, that you my king would die for me?
Repko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #993
CR_TurboGuy
Iowhat?

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant
Thanks for the nice review, Matt.

Since one of the alleged benefits of owning a Motoport suit is that they are hand sewn on the thighs of naked virgins by Wayne himself, I'm surprised that you say that some of their gear is manufactured overseas. Any further clarification?

Since you are a (probably the only) owner and vocal example of Motoport one-piece suits in the wild, would you mind posting some pictures of yourself in the suit?

Anyway, it's good to read another positive review of the Motoport gear.
Yes, pics of this one piece suit please.

And just to chime in, I picked up a Mesh Kevlar suit 2nd (maybe 3rd) hand on eBay last year. I love it. In the hot, humid Iowa weather, it feels like wearing nothing @ speed. The only downfall I have with it is that it flows sooo much air. I don't have any liners, but in early spring & late fall, it's not uncommon for it to be rather cool & I have to switch back to regular non-mesh gear. If I were to do it again, I think I'd probably go with a Stretch Kevlar for cool weather use & get liners to go with.

--JOsh
Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #994
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_TurboGuy
Yes, pics of this one piece suit please.

And just to chime in, I picked up a Mesh Kevlar suit 2nd (maybe 3rd) hand on eBay last year. I love it. In the hot, humid Iowa weather, it feels like wearing nothing @ speed. The only downfall I have with it is that it flows sooo much air. I don't have any liners, but in early spring & late fall, it's not uncommon for it to be rather cool & I have to switch back to regular non-mesh gear. If I were to do it again, I think I'd probably go with a Stretch Kevlar for cool weather use & get liners to go with.

--JOsh
I use my mesh jacket all year round, down into the 20s. At that temperature, I've got the rain liner in and then my Gerbing's, but I'm plenty warm.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #995
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxThrottle
They will fit in/out with/without liner. They will also fit between the liner and Kevlar mesh.
thanks again to you and to 1life2live...here is my million dollar question...if you wear air mesh + liner, and use gauntlets over the air mesh, then, do you get water running down your arm and right into your glove like i do? the one recent time i wore my air mesh+liner with gauntlet over air mesh, i had this experience...i dont like wet hands.
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #996
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by taki5
thanks again to you and to 1life2live...here is my million dollar question...if you wear air mesh + liner, and use gauntlets over the air mesh, then, do you get water running down your arm and right into your glove like i do? the one recent time i wore my air mesh+liner with gauntlet over air mesh, i had this experience...i dont like wet hands.
That's not a motoport/mesh/liner issue, that's a put your glove over your cuff issue. It's a universal problem no matter gear you are wearing. Put the glove inside the cuff, and, you won't have this problem.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #997
taki5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
That's not a motoport/mesh/liner issue, that's a put your glove over your cuff issue. It's a universal problem no matter gear you are wearing. Put the glove inside the cuff, and, you won't have this problem.
Yes, you are correct. Im speaking from my own personal experience here, I should have mentioned that. My previous jacket was a Teknic Sprint, which had the waterproof membrane as the outer layer and didnt have as large a cuff girth as the motoport air mesh. I was a little leary about going to a waterproof liner inside the jacket. With my old jacket, it was a no brainer to me where the gauntlet went (outside the cuff if cold, inside the cuff if raining). With the air mesh+liner, I havent found a gauntlet that can fit over it all and still get it secured/zipped properly and keep the cold/water out.

Conversely, I havent been able to find a gauntlet thin enough that would fit under the liner. If i did find some, I would almost have to put the gloves on first and then the jacket for it to be easy to do and to keep the elements out. Additionally, the motoport liner does not have any elastic at the wrist to somehow keep the sleeve cuff tight to the glove/wrist. This makes me think the cuff is designed to be tucked into a gauntlet, but that cant be done because the gauntlet would then interfere with the cuff to jacket attachment loop straps/snaps. The only other option is to have the gauntlet over the entire cuff, air mesh and all, which almost guarantees a leak....and I am now back to my original conundrum.

As an aside, the zipper on my sleeve cuffs seem to unzip on their own, sometimes up to 2" if i dont wear a gauntlet glove. if I have the gauntlet over the cuff this tends to keep the zipper zipped, but by virtue of putting the gloves over the cuffs, the zipper also unzips. It seems like an improvement would be for the black fabric/snap adjustment could be made to cover the zipper, to ensure that it doesnt unzip.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Motoport jacket and liner, I just havent figured out what the intent was for the sleeve cuff treatment and what works best for me. I should probably just ride and not think too much about it....
taki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #998
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
You just need to get some higher bars.
That keeps water from running down into your gloves.

Remember... Dry hands save lives! Get your ape hangers today!

CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #999
VaderSS
Canyon Carving Goldwing

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I love my Motoport jacket and liner, I just havent figured out what the intent was for the sleeve cuff treatment and what works best for me. I should probably just ride and not think too much about it....
I have no clue what the intent was, but I rarely use the liner attachment points. You can slip the liner under the cuff of the glove and then zip the jacket sleeve shut over the glove cuff.
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #1000
biscuit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Well said - don't overthink it.

Quote:
I own three of his jackets, I love them all. The liners are extremely well made, and once on they're pretty effective. Unfortunately I find them to be a hassle to put on and take off twice a day.

So my solutions are - in the summer rain I pull a rain jacket over it, with the gloves under the rain jacket. In the coldest part of winter, I wear my Teknic (I hope you still have yours)
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #1001
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit
I own three of his jackets, I love them all. The liners are extremely well made, and once on they're pretty effective. Unfortunately I find them to be a hassle to put on and take off twice a day.
I don't find the liner to be a hassle at all.
In PA I find that I leave the rain/wind liner installed in my Mesh jacket pretty much 8 month out of the year. I only have it out from May-August.
In the hot months, if rain is possible then I install the liner in before leaving home (zippers and snaps etc).... then I leave it in for the day (or week, however long rain is in the forcast).
If it's not actually raining when I get on the bike then I just stuff the front zipper part of the liner back inside the jacket. So the outer jacket is zipped up, but the whole front of the liner is open, like one huge vent 3 inches wide up the whole front of the jacket. That keeps me pretty cool, even when it's hot. Still much cooler than a Roadcrafter etc.
Then if I get caught in the rain I just pull over and zip up the liner.

That's not to say that I've got the whole sleeve / glove interface perfected. But that's not an issue with these jackets.

CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #1002
Asphalt Assault
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I just went down to Wayne's shop in here in Southern California. It's amazing how much time Wayne really does spend talking about the different studies he's done over the many years and different experiences from his customers wearing his gear. Wayne is without a doubt an expert, and I had no problem putting down my deposit for the Ultra II Pants. I'll also be ordering the Ultra II Jacket and Kevlar gloves within the month. If anyone is on the fence with this year, I'd say just do it. Details to come.
Asphalt Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #1003
Rider351
Dude not Dud

Oddometer: 130
Mesh 3/4...working great.

I worked with Wayne this Spring and ended up with a Ultra Mesh 3/4 Coat.
you can see the coat at http://www.ownthemind.com along with other pictures of rides and falls.

I had Wayne not add the top 2 pockets and changed the pocket color to match my KLR. I just got back to biking so starting with a basic bike. R12GS is next. May need a new coat to match the new bike!

Notes: I did not get the liner. In the winter I layer. Just a habit from my days in the Midwest and snow. Using Olympia Mesh pants in the summer. Just was not comfortable in the Motoport pants. I think I sized them wrong. Still have my Frog Togg suit for now.

As I get settled back into riding more the mix of apparel will change, but the coat it the core of the clothing mix and it is great.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt Assault
I just went down to Wayne's shop in here in Southern California. It's amazing how much time Wayne really does spend talking about the different studies he's done over the many years and different experiences from his customers wearing his gear. Wayne is without a doubt an expert, and I had no problem putting down my deposit for the Ultra II Pants. I'll also be ordering the Ultra II Jacket and Kevlar gloves within the month. If anyone is on the fence with this year, I'd say just do it. Details to come.
MOA #150128
http://www.ownthemind.com
Rider351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #1004
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Motoport Kevlar mesh is all I wear. I love it. Kicks ass in hot conditions and cold rainy conditions with optional rain wear zipped in.
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #1005
cruisincruzan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Here is my new motoport jacket. It is a variation of the Hong Kong police style Air Mesh Kevlar jacket. It was supposed to have a black mesh body and Hi-Viz mesh sleeves but there was a mix-up by Motoport. Wayne offered to make a new one for me but I decided to keep the all Hi-viz version. I customized it in the following ways: No gun belt loops, mesh instead of stretch kevlar sleeves, no upper pockets, no zipper for liner, no pockets for chest armor. I decided on these changes after having a kevlar mesh suit over the past 3 years.

For pants I got the police pants with black mesh on the front and black strtch kevlar on the back. The refective stripe is the same green/yellow as the jacket, again wothout zipper for a liner and no thigh armor but with hip armor. Fit is right on.
Attached Images

cruisincruzan is offline   Reply With Quote