Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 07:02 AM   #106
Gringo OP
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne
The tightening strap on the legs is to adjust the fit around your boots. With the stretch Kevlar I don't think the adjustment straps are necessary. The material does not have any tendency to flap. My Joe Rocket Alter Ego Jacket had those sorts of adjustments, but I don't miss them on the Motoport gear.

My stretch kevlar pants do NOT have a horizontal strap around the ankles to tighten around the boots - just vertical velcro strips all the way to the bottom; no snaps either like aerostitch though they would be easy to add. My wife's mesh kevlar pants DO have horizontal velcro strips. Not sure why the difference but thought it was worth pointing out here. I noticed this right out of the box, was upset at first but have since found that for everyday commuting it makes the pants easier to get in and out of and I have not noticed a tendency for the bottom of the legs to open up. As the velcro ages this could change, but it's easy to replace the old velcro or add straps if that happens. So tell Wayne if you want ankle straps if you're getting stretch, or confirm they automatically come with the mesh and that it's not a design change over the 2 or 3 years between our pants' manufacturing dates.

As for armor fit, it does in fact eventually conform to your body quite well, and once it gets in shape it tends to stay put, it doesn't slide around much. The pads are initially flat, not shaped, but they are mitered out to bend around elbow, knee & shoulder in such a way that once you have the jacket/pants on, with the fabric forcing the pads to wrap around your body and close the miters the pads want to stay where they're supposed to be. It took awhile for them to conform (weeks/months) but now I never notice them unless the suit's been hanging overnight in a 20F garage. If you go to the track alot and expect to do alot of high-speed crashing then maybe extra straps would be worthwhile, otherwise I question the necessity as I've had my stretch jacket up to 95mph and there was no flapping in the sleeves - and the mesh is so much stiffer I doubt you could make that flap at 205mph...

I'm coming up on a year since I got my suit, and I'm still very pleased with it - definitely worth the money, and very nice to live with for everyday riding in any conditions

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:14 AM   #107
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
I keep telling myself that about the armor, but I've got over 10k in the stuff now and its still quite pitiful compared to any other armored gear I've ever had. Even cheep JR stuff has better armor. Don't get me wrong, I love the kevlar, but find the armor to be the worst I've experenced by far. It probably doesn't help that I'm on the skinny side and ride a sport bike. sitting on a dual sport it feels decent, wraped around the tank on the sport bike it feels like I've got a couple planks in my elbows. I'm going to try pulling the armor out of an old JR jacket and see if I can't fit it into the motoport one. Any thoughts?
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:03 AM   #108
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo
My stretch kevlar pants do NOT have a horizontal strap around the ankles to tighten around the boots - just vertical velcro strips all the way to the bottom;
Gringo is correct about the adjustment of the pants, I just used his phrase about straps. The vertical strips do allow you to adjust the tightness of the fit at the bottom the the legs. It is a set and forget adjustment. It has no effect on the easy of getting the pants on or off because of the zippers that open up the legs. If any velcro will wear out it will be the zipper covers because they get cycled every time you put on the pants.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #109
minging
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Sale Price??

Great thread guys; thanks to everyone for contributing for the benefit of others. I am sold. Ideally, I would get the pants now and the jacket down the line. However, on Motoport's website, it lists the Ultra II Kevlar Jacket as currently marked down to $429 from $599, so I am considering getting the jacket now to save the $170.

Does anyone know if this is a true sale (and if so, when it will end) or if this is a semi-permanent markdown that has been in place for some time?

TIA
minging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #110
Gringo OP
simple by nature

I'm pretty sure it's been that way for awhile - I think that's the price I paid, about a year ago now.

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #111
Whammo
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I keep telling myself that about the armor, but I've got over 10k in the stuff now and its still quite pitiful compared to any other armored gear I've ever had. Even cheep JR stuff has better armor.
Tell you what, my buddy hit a Caddy head on wearing Motoport, bounced off of every non-vertical surface, and landed on the other side. He then stood up, brushed himself off, and told people to put away their cel phones...he was fine.
No way I'd want to crash in Jo Rocket stuff.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #112
yelostn78
Have GS will Travel

Oddometer: 598
Thumb

I just bought a jacket and pants for the wife and myself in the stretch Kevlar. I am 6'6" and My wife is from Puerto Rico, so in other words, guy on stilts, and fine latin body. Wayne at motoport had no problem talking us through the measurements he needed. After waiting the lead time, we recieved the suits. Mine fits like a glove, the liner, the jacket pants everything. My wife's does as well. We marked with tape on my wife's most comfortable jeans the measurements motoport needed to make the riding pants. They came back perfect.
I rode the other weekend in 75 degree weather without the liners in and this thing gets beter airflow than my vanson perf jacket. Feels just like blue jeans. I highly recommend Motoport, It is worth the $$$ and the lead time(mine was about 12 weeks). I will get some pics posted.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:27 AM   #113
minging
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
MotoPort Deal

I don't know anything about these, but could be an awesome deal if you wear an XXL: http://www.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/147973250.html
minging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #114
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,548
man-o-man...

I thought i did a write up on my motoport ultraII Kevlar Mesh....
Well now that a few months have passed... i can share the following.

1. Every one who wrote about their experience...is about what I would say.
2. Wayne is a good man to deal with. Do not hesitate to call him
3. I have low sided in my stitch. IT DOES MELT! GOOD thing I was going slow.
4. The Mesh is the most versitile as it is better in HOT weather. Just add layers or electrics depending on the cold.

5. I hope Wayne stays in business for many years. There is nothing out there that does as good of a job. AND SADLY, plenty gear that is frankly a waist of money...well maybe better than riding in your birthday suit , but not much more

To those... Gringo and others..who took time to write and share about the wonder of the "PORT" .. thank you! While I am in no way associated with Wayne, His product is light years ahead of all other gear. And I am very greatful for that. I ride with safety and comfort....for the first time in 30 yrs !
Old 04-06-2006, 12:11 PM   #115
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Not to spam this thread up... but it seems that every Motoport customer in the world is on here so what the hell~ Flame me if you must.

I have a brand new (ridden with it ONCE) motoport cordura jacket and quilted liner. Size is marked XXXL but it fits just a hair smaller than a XXL Darien. It's got a mesh liner, armor and the zip in black quilted liner. I bought it for winter use, but have since replaced my original Darien so I've got that base covered. I'd like to get $150 for it- as I said, it's brand new. Might even have the tags lying around someplace. Color is black and red- and I can email you pics if you're interested. First PM gets it.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #116
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Air Mesh Custom Options

Here's what I've asked Wayne regaring options on my gear. Feel free to respond to if you have an answer to any of these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderkev
If the trim areas are made of the stretch Kevlar, would that negate the need to have any type of tensioning straps on the arms and legs to allow adjustment and a snug fit for different layers underneath?

I would like the neck 1" larger than my neck size and 1.5" tall at the collar. I would also like the stretch Kevlar on the neck rather than the mesh.

It looks like the neck and wrist closures are normally snaps. Are those preferred over velcro? I think I might want velcro closures in these areas as well as the pockets and ankle closures. I would like all the pocket flaps held closed by velcro with the "loop" (soft) part placed on the underside of the flap. I'm also still unclear on the ankle closures (not leg zippers). Are they horizontal or vertical?

Can I get the retro-reflective stripes in the subdued (black during daytime) color? I'd also like some additional reflective stripes on the arms but I'm not sure I need it down the entire length of the arm. Maybe just on the outside of the forearm between the elbow and wrist visible from the side while riding.

Air Tex Liners:

How many waterproof pockets do the liners (pant and jacket) have and where are they located? Is it uncomfortable to have items in the pockets under the armor? Depending on this answer, I might want to have some Air Tex liners made up that could be inserted into the outer cargo pockets of either the jacket or pants (if they're the same size). I am thinking velcro could be sewn in to match the velcro locations on the pocket so the liners would be held inside the pocket and against the underside of the pocket flap to stay in place.

I'd like the collar on the Air Tex jacket liner 3" high and 1" larger than my neck size.

I'll be sure to post Wayne's response to this thread for your information.

Here's a photo-shopped image of what I'm looking at getting. The color options are limited in the mesh and I really wanted some blue on the suit to match my bike, so here's what I came up with. It sure is frustrating trying to guess what this stuff is going to look like! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Name:  Blue and Black.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  146.2 KB
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:31 AM   #117
Gringo OP
simple by nature

Nice colors!

Old 04-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #118
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Motoport response:

I can't help but feel a little put-off by this response. I didn't think I was asking for too much but that sure is what his last comment sounds like. Am I one of the those overly demanding consumers I dismissed earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne at Motoport
Kevan,

1. Your jacket size is a Medium. Your getting close to a Large. From the way your letter sounds it may work the best to go with a Large size.

2. Pant fit is very versatile. Don't worry about the pant sizing.

3. The calf section of the pant has a 3" by 10" Velcro flap adjustment. Upper leg adjust is not necessary. The 3/4 length jacket fits in a way that makes it not necessary to have a Velcro adjust on the sleeves. We can add the Velcro adjust in the bicep area if preferred. $19.00 cost.

4. The majority of riders prefer the snaps on the collar and wrists. The cargo pockets are held closed with the hook part on the flap with the loop part on the jacket.

5. We use the stretch Kevlar light in the neck collar with high quality Polar Fleece on the inside . Height is 1.5" standard.

6. Velcro closure on the flap covering the zipper on the leg.

7. We tried to locate black reflective and cannot find a supplier. We can use gray or bright yellow reflective.

8. The reflective on the entire outside of the arm shows at night.

9. No pockets in the pant liner. One chest pocket in the insulation, another inside chest pocket in the jacket liner.

We have 29 years of experience in making the Ultra II style of jacket. 15 years in the pant. We cannot redesign the jacket/pant for you. Minor changes are ok, but your taking the chance of having problems. I can write pages on our designs and reasons for them. I think you'll be very happy with our standard jacket/pant.

Best regards,
Wayne
I'm going to give him a call and try to work this out.
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #119
charleshmosesii
No skills no worries

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by harderkev

Here's a photo-shopped image of what I'm looking at getting. The color options are limited in the mesh and I really wanted some blue on the suit to match my bike, so here's what I came up with. It sure is frustrating trying to guess what this stuff is going to look like! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

Attachment 70963
You have a pretty good photo hack! That's like my Motoport except the blue in the jacket in your photo is red, and the pants are all black.

I would opt for no upper pockets on the jacket. That's what I did. IMO, it looks better, and you don't need those pockets.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #120
SamTheEagle
Sam the Eagle

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshmosesii
You have a pretty good photo hack! That's like my Motoport except the blue in the jacket in your photo is red, and the pants are all black.

I would opt for no upper pockets on the jacket. That's what I did. IMO, it looks better, and you don't need those pockets.

Charlie,

This thread is useless without pix.

Can you either post a pic or send me a photo of what the jacket looks like w/o the pockets?

I'd be very appreciatory.

Thanks man
Sam

Sam The Eagle @ Smugmug
SamTheEagle is offline   Reply With Quote