Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #121
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Oddometer: 356
Top pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleshmosesii
You have a pretty good photo hack! That's like my Motoport except the blue in the jacket in your photo is red, and the pants are all black.

I would opt for no upper pockets on the jacket. That's what I did. IMO, it looks better, and you don't need those pockets.
Thanks, Charles. I considered going w/o the top pockets. I'd hate to find later that I wished I had them, plus it's a little more difficult to photoshop them out. Could you post a pic of your jacket ....?
harderkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:53 AM   #122
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
both kevlar blend and mesh kevlar

is there anyone out there who lives in a climate with a range so wide that you bought both the mesh and the kevlar stretch blend?
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #123
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by harderkev

I can't help but feel a little put-off by this response. I didn't think I was asking for too much but that sure is what his last comment sounds like. Am I one of the those overly demanding consumers I dismissed earlier?

I'm going to give him a call and try to work this out.
I wouldn't sweat it.
I'm not saying your requests are crazy or anything, but they are rather extensive. I can understand him not wanting to make major changes to his design. The neck though... hmm, personally I'd REALLY want a higher neck.

Personally, I'm willing to trust his judgement on such things.
he's sold alot of this stuff for a long time and has a solid reputation on it.

As for Charles' mesh jacket without the top pockets... he let me ride over and see it before I placed my order. It looks good. Very clean. No offense to Wayne's stuff, but it looks more like a motorcycle riding suit and less like a photographer's vest. The red trim looks slick too. Just don't get carried away or you'll look like spiderman.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #124
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Confidence returned

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
I wouldn't sweat it.
I'm not saying your requests are crazy or anything, but they are rather extensive. I can understand him not wanting to make major changes to his design. The neck though... hmm, personally I'd REALLY want a higher neck.

Personally, I'm willing to trust his judgement on such things.
he's sold alot of this stuff for a long time and has a solid reputation on it.

As for Charles' mesh jacket without the top pockets... he let me ride over and see it before I placed my order. It looks good. Very clean. No offense to Wayne's stuff, but it looks more like a motorcycle riding suit and less like a photographer's vest. The red trim looks slick too. Just don't get carried away or you'll look like spiderman.
I talked with Wayne today about my order. It seems the biggest issue was with my request for the Air Tex liner inserts for the jacket pockets. Although this sounds (to me) simple enough to do, Wayne said this would be very expensive and time-consuming because it deviates from the usual production process. I might try and just get the material and make those myself later if I still want them.

Wayne told me it is not uncomfortable to have things in the liner pockets or in the pockets of clothing under the gear. Wayne said he primarily uses his pants pockets under the gear because it is very easy to get into them through the overpants.

Wayne said a production run for standard colors will be completed in about 3 weeks. Unfortunately my color scheme is not included in this run. Wayne also said any color other than black on the lower legs of the pants gets dirty very quickly. Wayne suggested I stay with all black pants and only get colors on the cargo pockets, if I want.

Wayne told me the Air Tex liner has a standard 3" tall collar and the Ultra II Air Mesh jacket comes with a standard 1.5" collar. Velcro instead of snaps is no problem.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:35 PM   #125
rodentface
Maximus - Dorkus Maximus

Oddometer: 50
cold weather & mesh kevlar

For those inquiring about stretch kevlar vs. mesh kevlar...

I own the Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and I ride year-round in Chicago. I haven't yet gone through the summer heat here in my mesh kevlar gear, but I have been out on harsh winter days. Here's a rough breakdown of my temperature tolerances in the mesh kevlar. I typically ride 45-60 minutes in this setup on an BMW 1150GS with standard windshield.

Jacket:
55 degrees on up - just the outer mesh kevlar shell
45 to 55 degrees - add the uninsulated liner
30ish to 45 degrees - add the insulated liner
25ish and below - I add my Gerbing electric jacket liner

Pants:
45 and up - just the outer mesh kevlar shell
below 45 - add the uninsulated liner
below 15ish - I add long underwear

I'm something of a cold wimp, but I have never *ever* been cold on my bike in this gear. (I've been down to about 3 degrees fahrenheit, not including wind chill.) The electrics help when it's bitterly cold outside, of course. I wore an Aerostich Darien for two years and never got cold either. But I also couldn't bring myself to wear the Darien above 75 degrees which, in Chicago, is a huge portion of the year.

And my customer service with Wayne has been the single best customer service I've received from any company of any kind.

If any Chicagoans have questions or comments, feel free to contact me privately.

Rodent Face
rodentface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #126
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Thumb Oh Not Easy !

It is simple for all, but sometimes not easy..what do I mean?
THE SIMPLE PART:
Wayne is in my humble opinion, one of the very best to deal with. He is honest and does an awesome job. THERE IS NOTHING available that performs like his gear....PERIOD! He is even right about all the little things....like black pants. Think about that. Will anyone realy see you because your pants are bright? If that is the only reason...you are in deep SHEEUUT

Oh Not Easy:

Sometimes the wait.... but the biggest part is to get folks to trust and beleive. Maybe it is because we live in a world of lies and unicorn oil "sales people" ( politicly correct..allthough I hate that) . Seems like so many people are out to prey on the gulible and uninitiated!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #127
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
...how about ZERO advertising, no presence at rallies, no availability in retail outlets, and a website that leaves MUCH to be desired?!~ From my perspective as a salesman, this product is doing damned near everything to maintain a small market presence- despite the outstanding qualities of the product itself. I have a feeling that Wayne's business is as large as he wants it to be or he'd be pursuing SOME form of promotion to grow it.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:11 AM   #128
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
...how about ZERO advertising, no presence at rallies, no availability in retail outlets, and a website that leaves MUCH to be desired?!~ From my perspective as a salesman, this product is doing damned near everything to maintain a small market presence- despite the outstanding qualities of the product itself. I have a feeling that Wayne's business is as large as he wants it to be or he'd be pursuing SOME form of promotion to grow it.

NOW JABBA,
have you ever thought that he may be using reverse pschology (sp)..... you know.... wisper to get someones attention. Yep I wish he would have done some advertising. I could have saved the bother of the 5yr old aero stitch ( like new) I will never ride w/ again.

AS a former business owner, specially in Louisiana, it is almost impossible to grow from a few employees to over 10~15.....w/o MEGGA capitol! Personally, I am going to order a second "port"... so that in the event he goes out of business, I can still ride in the bestesteseses gear in the Milky-Way!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #129
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlew
is there anyone out there who lives in a climate with a range so wide that you bought both the mesh and the kevlar stretch blend?
Well, I don't have a mesh kevlar suite, but I wish I did as my double layer strech kevlar GPII is pretty hot in weather much over 80F. I'm comfortable in it (without any liners, layers etc) from ~50-80F. Even below 50 is do-able but a bit chilly without some form of wind protection (if you ride a bike with some wind protection adjust these numbers down).
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #130
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Well, I don't have a mesh kevlar suite, but I wish I did as my double layer strech kevlar GPII is pretty hot in weather much over 80F. I'm comfortable in it (without any liners, layers etc) from ~50-80F. Even below 50 is do-able but a bit chilly without some form of wind protection (if you ride a bike with some wind protection adjust these numbers down).

thanks for the reply, bikepilot. i'm going into my first warm season with my kevlar blend and i'm worried i'm going to burn up.

btw, to all of you who have ordered a suit: you're going to be pleased, i think. day to day, i've been altnernating between a two piece roadcrafter, a bmw santiago jacket with first gear ht overpants, and my motoport and i always miss the motoport but not the others so much.
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #131
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

On a side note:

I cleaned up and found the cloth samples that Wayne sent me of the kevlar mesh and the kevlar stretch cloth.

If anyone is interested, EMAIL me your address and I'll stick em in an envelope headed your way.

:-)
Old 04-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #132
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Samples

Quote:
On a side note:

I cleaned up and found the cloth samples that Wayne sent me of the kevlar mesh and the kevlar stretch cloth.

If anyone is interested, EMAIL me your address and I'll stick em in an envelope headed your way.

:-)
Check your inbox...
Old 04-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #133
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Lucky I checked my pm's. I usually forget.

Harderkev pm'd me first.
So i'll send them to him Monday.

Another guy pm'd me, so maybe you can send them to him when you're done.
I'll notify him to PM you. I'm sure he doesn't want his address posted for all to see.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #134
harderkev
Slab Sucks!

Samples

Quote:
Another guy pm'd me, so maybe you can send them to him when you're done. I'll notify him to PM you. I'm sure he doesn't want his address posted for all to see.
No problem. As far as I'm concerned we can keep these same samples moving to new or prospective buyers indefinitely.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 PM   #135
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by harderkev
No problem. As far as I'm concerned we can keep these same samples moving to new or prospective buyers indefinitely.
I just got samples for the kevlar stretch I'll send out. Pm me address..
levain is offline   Reply With Quote