User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
kiw OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
CA to SK

Left Santa Barbara, CA today the 5th of June at 8 am, heading to Domremy, SK, Canada.
8 hours later, first stop at my uncle's place in Los Gatos. Happy to be inside and warm. Boy it was windy on 1.

(apologizes for the pics quality, I don't have a camera yet.)

Tip of the day : never cross double yellow lines at road worksites, even when passing stopped cars - a van may hide a police car. 1st day 1st ticket, at this rate this tip his gonna cost me a fortune.

The bike:

After tackling Upper oso trail in Los Padres - for the locals - It rode surprisingly well despite all the weight I had in the back. Although far from doing a 50 mpg, this KLR is definitely winning my heart. ^^
Tomorrow will go back to the Motoshop in South San Francisco to work on the weight issue - try to figure out a way to cut down the ammo can for my laptop - and finish up the bike for the real adventure coming up.
kiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,318
neat
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
kiw OP
Adventurer

After 4 days of intensive work on the bike, I feel it is finally time to hit the road.

See new stuff? Basically, everything that is Flashy Fluo Green has be made or modified.
And some is hidden behind the fairing ^^

No worries I will post on each individual mods I did on future posts, and How I did it so You too can do it yourself.

Right now I want to get out of town, I am tired of cars, traffic, and multiple lanes road in general. Although when I looking at the maps and planning the route, I can honestly say that the idea of traveling alone in the middle of nowhere, scares the crap outta me.

Finally, Thanks Aleks and Wilder ( the Motoshop in South SF ) for making this adventure possible ... for my ride. ^^

Let the adventure begin!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
kiw OP
Adventurer

Apologizes for the crap quality.
Were can you change the pic size?
thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
kiw OP
Adventurer

I'm currently in Lakeport on 29, I'm heading to Covelo by the 20, the 101 and the 162. Hopefully I will go through the Six River National Forest, on a road called mina road, by the end of the day. There I will hit the 36 that go either west to the 101 and the 1, or East to the 3 and the 5. I am still hesitating on which route to take though. Any suggestion? Advice?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Phone Guy
Oddometer: 22,626

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiw View Post
I'm currently in Lakeport on 29, I'm heading to Covelo by the 20, the 101 and the 162. Hopefully I will go through the Six River National Forest, on a road called mina road, by the end of the day. There I will hit the 36 that go either west to the 101 and the 1, or East to the 3 and the 5. I am still hesitating on which route to take though. Any suggestion? Advice?

Thanks
Ok, it sounds like you are in for a nice ride. I work in Redding and I can tell you everything you want to know about the roads you are talking about except "mina" I'm not sure about that one.

If you take 36 west you will hit 101 by Fortuna. You would have to travel south a ways to hit 1 and I'm not sure why you'd do that but that's up to you. If you hit 36 I'm guessing it would be somewhere near Ruth Lake. If you head East to hwy 3 and take 3 north you will go through Hayfork and then hit hwy 299 which you can take West to Weaverville and pick up 3 north again and make your way to Yreka where it hits I-5. I'm not sure how big of a hurry you're in but if it were me and I had the extra time I would stay on 101 and go all the way up through Oregon and decide what was next.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
kiw OP
Adventurer

Hey Phone Guy,
( Nice ride by the way )
I'm in Yreka right now, I made the decision yesterday when coming on the 36 from Mina rd - which by Ruth lake, the road that hits the 36 going through the six river national park is called Van Duzen I believe at this point.
The 3 up North was an awesome ride. I love the mountain better than the coast anyways. ^^

From now on into Oregon I am not sure of my route, I know I'll stop by Crater Lake, I also know I want to avoid multiple lane freeways, so the 5 and the 101 out. I am thinking the 97 then the 26 to Portland. How are those roads? suggestions?
I have till the end of the week to get there.
thanks

I'll put up gps track and pictures up as soon as I figure out how to upload the info from my magellan. ;)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Tooth
State of Jefferson

Oddometer: 97
20, 126, 224 out of Bend might be alittle more scenic with some nice riding, although 26 around Mt Hood is a great view.

I hate it when Walmart has a sale on Green Paint..........

Good luck
Super Tenere
Honda Goldwing
Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
kiw OP
Adventurer

Got the same advice from locals Tooth. I am actually in Sisters right now.

Quote:
I hate it when Walmart has a sale on Green Paint..........
And what is that suppose to mean han?! Home Depot actually. lol
Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
olddude53
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
From Sisters..check out the old McKenzie Highway rte 242 over the lava fields..
olddude53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,108
So you're on the way.
Check your PM's.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #12
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Great ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude53 View Post
From Sisters..check out the old McKenzie Highway rte 242 over the lava fields..
Old 242 is a great ride! Beautiful! It may be closed due to snow right now. Try www.tripcheck.com to get road status in Oregon.
If that doesn't work out, you can head over McKenzie pass out of Sisters and go toward Salem on Hwy 22 and when you get to the town of Detroit take a right near the Northwest end and head toward Brightenbush. It's a cool old place with lodging and hot springs. If you keep going past it the road is super cool and will take you into the SE side of the Portland metro area through Estacada.
If you want to get back to the coast, Hwy 22 through Salem will take you all the way there to Lincoln City. If you're through Otis and hungry, the Otis Cafe is really worth the stop.
If you don't want to hit Portland or the coast, go N on hwy 97 (only a little backtracking - but if you take Lower Bridge road to Terrebonne it will be worth it) to Biggs Junction, cross the Columbia and head E or W on Hwy 14, or keep going N on 97 you can avoid the freeways for the most part.

Sounds like a great trip. I hope you enjoy Central Oregon and your journey is safe and all you hope it to be.

Travel safely,
grins
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #13
Moto Shop
Learn.Fix.Ride.

Oddometer: 5
Great to see you're on your way, Brice! Enjoy...and keep up the status posts!
325 South Maple Ave #20
South San Francisco, CA 94080
650-873-1600
www.BayAreaMotoShop.com
Moto Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
kiw OP
Adventurer

Hey everyone, I've been staying at my Uncles place near Portland for a couple days, I'm back on the road ... hum dirt tomorrow.
I dont I will have the tracks uploaded before then - I have issue loading and editing my tracks on my mac... I have a magellan 710, if someone knows about it please jump in. thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #15
kiw OP
Adventurer

Help!
I am leaving tomorrow for the WABDR, I cant figure out how to upload and read the tracks on my gps.
I have a magellan 710 and I run a Mac.
thanks!