User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
Reddog OP
Doug@8000'

Oddometer: 372
Together or seperate when selling?

As some of you know, I have my GoldWing/hack rig for sale. I built the hack on a Kenna DMC chassis specifically so it could easily be transferred to a different bike. I have had a couple inquiries on the bike and the hack separately, although none have gone much further than inquiries.
My questions is, if I sell the bike alone, have I hamstrung myself for selling the hack? I have the hack priced alone at 3500, and, for example, the mounts for a 1150GS are about $1000, making the package for a potential hack buyer 4500.
Insights and comments??
Doug at 8000'
http://www.duckpondcottage.com/
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Decisions, decisions

We all struggle with that. For me, adding a $10,000 chair to a $12,000 bike plus about $3,000 in 'extras' (in AU $) does not make a $25,000 outfit come sale time. It's maybe worth $20,000. So If I split it back up, I may get $11,000 for the bike and $8,000 for the chair and mounts. Unless it all gets really 'old' and high mileage while I own it. Then I'll be lucky to see $15,000 for the complete outfit.

Depends on your investment versus what you want as a return. It also depends on what will 'sell'. Maybe the chair is easy to sell, or you sell it first in case it doesn't sell well by itself. If you have doubts, try and advertise it as a complete outfit, with the chair seperated as a second option, and leave the bike as the last option. That way, you will always have a saleable bike to finish with.

It's important to place your own 'value' on the individual componenets. They may add up to a greater sum than the combined outfit value, or it may be less. Then consider what you paid, or what it all 'owes' you. If you built or refurbished the chair rather than bought it new, then it may not owe you much at all in real $ terms. You have to undervalue your own labour and efforts.

You are the only one who can value your toys. Whether the buyers agree will determine its true worth.

MIXR screwed with this post 06-20-2012 at 09:48 PM
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Reddog OP
Doug@8000'

Oddometer: 372
Thanks for the input MIXR. After riding the outfit a little today, I think I am inclined to do my best to keep it all together. I set out to build a lower budget rig, and all in all, I think it came out well. As I stated in my FM listing, I'm asking less than what most Eastern Block rigs are listed for, and I feel mine is at least as roadworthy.
I am beginning to think that if someone does not want what I would like to get out of mine to enter into the sidecar world, they must not want to enter all that badly.
I do understand and appreciate that mine was a "custom" build suited and designed to my tastes, which frequently are not particularly "mainstream". Such is the gamble when any of us practice out "art". That combined with the overall stae of the world and economy around us may make me a sidecar outfit owner for some time to come. Oh well, it's paid for and the dogs do like it.
As an aside, since the build was completed, we have had to put the little yappy one down, so now I just have to deal with the young rambunctious one. Maybe more time in the saddle will settle us both down...stranger things have happened.
http://photos.imageevent.com/reddog/...xx%20movie.MOV
Happy Trails to you all, D@8K'
http://www.duckpondcottage.com/
Reddog is offline   Reply With Quote