flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Here's a view of the church in San Gil

Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #1517
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Every touristy place has got its own kind of food that is seems only the tourist actually eat.
Adealaide and Buellton have it split pea soup.
This area of Colombia has "Hormingas"
That's right.....fried ants.
Big ones too.
Actually, they don't taste all that bad......kind of like chicken

Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #1518
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Click on the pic below to watch the video

I got a good internet connection and speed finally so I was able to upload this video. Come take a wild ride with me thru the streets of downtown Panama City. I was just so tired and hot waiting behind all the slow moving trucks, cars and taxis. And finally I was able to open it up a bit
Click on the picture below to watch the video

Old 03-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #1519
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just outside of San Gil is a nice waterfall called Juan Curi. I lost Alex in the heavy traffic in town. He is not able to split thru traffic as easy as I can since his bike is as wide as a car. But we met up later at this waterfall.

Looking like Vanna White

The water was chily

Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #1520
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Following a purple line

Alex and I decided to head to Lago de Tota and we found a route on our GPS that would take us there. The roads in Colombia have been pretty good so far. It was labeled as a secondary route.
So we just followed that purple line on the GPS blindly in to the mountains of Colombia. It was already late in the day (about 2:30 pm) when we set out. But it was only 60 miles away so we were confident that we would get there before dark. The route started off nice. Good pavement, nice twisty road and no traffic. We get to a junction and the GPS told us to turn right and go over the bridge, which we did. After that, the pavement was gone and the road was just a bunch of loose rocks.
We turned around and tried the other road, which was paved. The GPS said we could go that way but it was 10 miles longer. And we asked some locals and they said it was a faster route.
After about 5 miles on this road, the pavement was gone but it was still a nice dirt road. But the more we rode, the worse things got. At one point the road was all loose rocks with a cliff on one side. I almost lost it on a couple of occasions. It was more than I had bargained for. But the road was incredibly scenic. It would drop in to these deep canyons with raging rivers and rugged cliffs. I also noticed that we were climbing higher and higher on my GPS. I figured that we were heading over a mountain pass in the Andes. At about 4 o'clock, Alex and I were wondering if we were going to make it over the mountains before dark. And we were wondering if the road was going to get tougher or impassible. We didn't have any water but I had some dehydrated food with me. Just as it was getting dark, we crossed over the pass at 12,600 feet. We were not sure how far we had to go (or if we were even going the right way). I was getting low on gas too. At about 11,500 feet on the other side, we came to an abandoned ranch and decided to make camp for the night. There was water there so we could eat and drink. It was cold out so were just got in to our tents and sleeping bags after dinner and went to sleep early. We were hoping the GPS had not steered us the wrong way

Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #1521
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Our camp at the abandoned ranch

Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #1522
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's the old well that we got our water from. I pumped it thru my MSR filter and then added iodine tablets to make sure it was ok to drink. Alex thinks this is what made me sick the next day. I don't think so. I have not been feeling 100 percent since I got to Colombia. I hope what ever it is, has worked thry my system.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #1523
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 125
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I got a good internet connection and speed finally so I was able to upload this video. Come take a wild ride with me thru the streets of downtown Panama City. I was just so tired and hot waiting behind all the slow moving trucks, cars and taxis. And finally I was able to open it up a bit
Click on the picture below to watch the video
F++++++, do ppl ride on the left side of the road in Panama?? hehehe ,always passing through the right..... hehehehe

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #1524
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Two sheep watching me load my motorcycle the next morning

Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #1525
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
F++++++, do ppl ride on the left side of the road in Panama?? hehehe ,always passing through the right..... hehehehe
There are no lanes down here. It's every man for himself. Yesterday, I made a pass using the sidewalk and the guy on the little motorcycle behind me followed suit.
If there is a gap, someone will fill it.
In Central America, they drive slow and oblivious.
Here is Colombia, they drive fast and crazy. And just trying crossing the street here........it can be deadly
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #1526
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Alex is a very good rider. I know people have been critical of me for over-packing. But I think Alex takes the cake. He even has a kite board and sail with him. And a winch that must weigh 20 pounds. But after the ride thru the mountain with all those steep drop-offs, I was glad he had it. Here Alex put a foot down and it was further down that he had thought. Any more than a few degrees and that bike is going over........and that's what happened here. Getting it up means taking the soft bags off so there is somewhere to grab the bike

Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #1527
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Almost down off the mountain
We were both relieved when we arrived at the town of Duitama. I wish I had stopped to take more pictures along the way. There were waterfalls, water crossings, rivers, canyons and absolutely beautiful scenary.
I would do it again......especially since I know where I am going now.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #1528
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Getting money at the ATM in downtown Duitama. These bikes attract a lot of attention everywhere we go. Alex calls it his spaceship
Alex needed some work done on his bike so he took off to Bogota. I headed to lago de Tota

Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #1529
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lago de Tota

This is the biggest lake in Colombia. It sits at an elevation of 10,000.
There is a road that goes around the lake. Mostly paved but the best parts are unpaved. I am glad I am on a bike like my GS.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #1530
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was planning to camp here at Playa Blanca. But I was glad I didn't. It was cold and cloudy that day. But I was glad I didn't camp there because I was starting t feel ill at that point. I decided instead to head to a hot spring pool to see if that would help make me feel better

Closed Thread