Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #196
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Livin' the dream?

So many people have told me that I am "living the dream". If this is the case, then why are there not many people doing what I am doing?
The positive aspects are obvious......the adventure.......the excitement.......meeting new people.........discovering new places......etc etc
I can see it in people's faces that I meet. I see it in their eyes when I pull up next to them on my motorcycle. I will ride by a family in their RV and the dad will stop in his tracks and watch me ride by. And I know exactly what he is thinking. In fact, every man with enough warm blood flowing through his veins and can maintain at least a 15 second erection wants to trade places with me. Even if they are not in to motorcycles, every man admires that lonesome cowboy riding off in to the sunset. They think......where is he going? Where has he been? What is he thinking?
Well let me tell you.........the best part of this trip is not being on the motorcycle (sometimes there is nothing more that I want than to just get off the bike). It's not all the places that I go or the people that I meet. It is the freedom I have. I think a lot of people have never experienced this kind of freedom. I am talking about being free to do solely what I want, when I want it. I don't have any agendas but my own. I get up when I want. Go where I want. I don't have a boss, friend or family telling what I need to do. And it is selfish. And maybe that is not such a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, I will share my wine, help with directions, repair your tire, but for now, I want to be selfish with my time. And time is my most precious commodity I have. We are dying. And I want to live my life. I don't want to be a person that says......."some day". I want to make things happen now.
So back to my question.......why aren't there more people doing what I am doing. There are plenty of reasons and excuses not to go. My dad once told me....."you can do anything you want in this world as long as you are willing to pay the price". And for me, I had to give up my house, my normal life style, some of my toys (old cars and motorcycles). But I reasoned that I can and will get all those things back one day. But my time, I can never get back.
Right now I have the means and the desire to do this trip and I will continue my travels until I lose either the means or desire to do so.
My girlfriend has been great through it all but I don't know how long she is going to hang in there and be supportive. And I don't blame her.
I think the reason more people are not doing what I am doing considering it is everyone's dream is because the price they would have to pay is too great.
And then there is a big difference between perception and reality. Everyone perceives beautiful weather but the reality is being cold and wet. You don't think about all the bugs that drive you crazy at times......being dirty.......hungry.......thirsty......tired....... lonely.....etc. But when the weather breaks and the sun comes out.......WOW! You get this high that most people take for granted. Things like taking a shower are amazing. It is little things that you begin to appreciate and make you happy. It is not the bigger house or faster car that will make you happy. In fact, it will do just the opposite. It is the freedom and little things that make you happy. And most will never know what I mean by this until you are in my shoes.
Yes, the price I am paying is high, but it is not forever, it is something that I need to do now while I have the means and desire and I will be a better, more well-rounded person for it.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #197
chilango13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
So many people have told me that I am "living the dream". If this is the case, then why are there not many people doing what I am doing?
The positive aspects are obvious......the adventure.......the excitement.......meeting new people.........discovering new places......etc etc
I can see it in people's faces that I meet. I see it in their eyes when I pull up next to them on my motorcycle. I will ride by a family in their RV and the dad will stop in his tracks and watch me ride by. And I know exactly what he is thinking. In fact, every man with enough warm blood flowing through his veins and can maintain at least a 15 second erection wants to trade places with me. Even if they are not in to motorcycles, every man admires that lonesome cowboy riding off in to the sunset. They think......where is he going? Where has he been? What is he thinking?
Well let me tell you.........the best part of this trip is not being on the motorcycle (sometimes there is nothing more that I want than to just get off the bike). It's not all the places that I go or the people that I meet. It is the freedom I have. I think a lot of people have never experienced this kind of freedom. I am talking about being free to do solely what I want, when I want it. I don't have any agendas but my own. I get up when I want. Go where I want. I don't have a boss, friend or family telling what I need to do. And it is selfish. And maybe that is not such a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, I will share my wine, help with directions, repair your tire, but for now, I want to be selfish with my time. And time is my most precious commodity I have. We are dying. And I want to live my life. I don't want to be a person that says......."some day". I want to make things happen now.
So back to my question.......why aren't there more people doing what I am doing. There are plenty of reasons and excuses not to go. My dad once told me....."you can do anything you want in this world as long as you are willing to pay the price". And for me, I had to give up my house, my normal life style, some of my toys (old cars and motorcycles). But I reasoned that I can and will get all those things back one day. But my time, I can never get back.
Right now I have the means and the desire to do this trip and I will continue my travels until I lose either the means or desire to do so.
My girlfriend has been great through it all but I don't know how long she is going to hang in there and be supportive. And I don't blame her.
I think the reason more people are not doing what I am doing considering it is everyone's dream is because the price they would have to pay is too great.
And then there is a big difference between perception and reality. Everyone perceives beautiful weather but the reality is being cold and wet. You don't think about all the bugs that drive you crazy at times......being dirty.......hungry.......thirsty......tired....... lonely.....etc. But when the weather breaks and the sun comes out.......WOW! You get this high that most people take for granted. Things like taking a shower are amazing. It is little things that you begin to appreciate and make you happy. It is not the bigger house or faster car that will make you happy. In fact, it will do just the opposite. It is the freedom and little things that make you happy. And most will never know what I mean by this until you are in my shoes.
Yes, the price I am paying is high, but it is not forever, it is something that I need to do now while I have the means and desire and I will be a better, more well-rounded person for it.
Well said!...I for one would like to make that move, but need the support of my wife and kids...Can't "abandon" them, because that what it feels like to them...I have gone on 7 to 10 day trips to Cabo and they don't like it...and I miss them as soon as I leave the driveway. I mentioned to my wife I wanted to take a year off work and go to prudoeh bay alaska and ushuaia, argentina and she thought I just wanted to "leave." I sometimes feel guilty because it is, like you said, selfish. It's great that you are enjoying this and are taking many of us with you on your adventure. Great Report.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #198
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 450
Really enjoying your style of the trip!
Ill stay tuned!

Happy trails, ride safe!

-Adam in NH
Old 08-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #199
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Canadian Rockies

Hwy 93 was one of the prettiest roads ever and one of the highlights of my trip

Old 08-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #200
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

6 weeks and 3 days

I have been on the road for a month and a half now.
And to date, i have spent less than $50 on accommodations
And that was 2 hostels
One time because it was raining and the other time because I caught some salmon and I wanted somewhere to grill them up.
I also stayed with friends
But mostly I found free places to camp along the way. Most of them very interesting places with nice views
Anyone that says they can't afford to do this......I think I just proved them wrong.
I spend about $30 a day on gas and that's my biggest expenses.
Maybe $20 a day on food
a few dollars on misc stuff

If you stay in hotels every night, the costs go up about 3 or 4 times
And all you do is sleep there anyway.

I am proud of the fact that I have spent so few dollars so far.
It allows me to splurge a bit on wine and steak dinners every now and then.
That is my one little that most people could cut out, but at $100 a night for a hotel room, I would rather have nice steak, some good wine and sleep in my tent with a full stomach and a smile on my face
Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #201
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

different levels of adventure

Most people think I am crazy.
Just getting on a motorcycle and riding across town would cause a lot of people to cry like a little girl.
But getting on a bike, riding half way around the world and camping out in the middle of nowhere is completely insane........right? For me, it is pretty ambitious. I think a lot of people look at me and think I have balls made of titanium because it is something they would like to do but they would never do. And this makes me feel pretty good.
I feel like a real bad ass dude.
But then I get a reality check and I feel really whimpy.
I saw two guys the other day on a remote road in the Yukon riding MOPEDS!!!!! They had little hand built trailers pulling their gear behind them. Now those guys are BAD ASS! I have the best bike, with all the best gear. I think.......who couldn't do a trip like mine? I have it easy! These guys are on fricken mopeds with a top speed of 30 MPH. I can imagine the conversation these guys had planning this trip. It would go something like this..........."hey, so what do you this summer........let's travel around the world.......but let's do it on a motorcycle........naa, been there, done that, everyone does it on a motorcycle, let's do it on a moped!
And then I see those guys riding their bicycles with those little bags strapped on them. I talked to a few of these guys and gals. They are riding their bikes thousands of miles using only their own power! Now that is bad ass! How much gear could they possibly be carrying? I have 3 different sleeping bags and a bottle of wine with me for crying out loud!
Then I saw a guy walking! Yes walking in the middle of nowhere.....pulling a little cart with all his gear. Now that is crazy! Just like my firends think I am crazy.
There are different levels of crazy. There are different levels of adventure. For some, just getting out of bed in the morning is an adventure. And for some, it is walking around the world. And when I see these "crazy" guys and gals doing what they are doing, it is a reality check for me. Going around the world on a BMW R1200GS is not such a big deal. Lots of people do it. It is not so crazy after all.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #202
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Canadian Rockies

The road between Jasper and Lake Louise in Alberta is amazing! It was a surprise. I wasn't expecting it.
Here I am walking on a glacier

Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #203
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mountain Cllimbing

I don't even think this mountain had a name but it had a great view from the top. I called it Mt Ed.

My hand were a little worse for wear getting up to the summit. I wish I wore my gloves

Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #204
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

living large

After 3 days of eatting dehydrated food, I rode in to Banff and had a nice steak dinner complete with wine. I went to a restaurant called Salt Lick, which I heard was the best. They had AAA Alberta beef and I gotta say, I was not impressed. I think their cows are not as happy as the Candadian's say they are. California still has the happiest cows in the world! The wine was from BC and it was pretty darn good.....Mission Hills Reserve Cab.....yum!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #205
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yellowstone

I rode through Glacier Nat'l Park in northern Montana. The Going to the Sun Road is a great motorcycle road. I attacked it first thing in the morning before the RV's clogged it up.
After that, I rode to Yellowstone and saw some of the sights.

Old Faithful going off every 90 minutes

Looks inviting for a dip but way too hot for swimming

Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #206
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hot Springs everywhere

If you know me, I can't resist stopping for a dip in a good hot spring. I stopped at Radium Hot Springs in Alberta, the one in Banff and as shown here, Hot Sulphur Springs in Colorado. This place has 23 different pools with different temps. I thought this one was my favorite

Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #207
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
Just started reading your blog. I think the title needs to be changed, though. "Around the World in 800 Bottles of Wine!" You are definitely living the dream. It will take me a while to catch up on reading the blog... but I think you are doing it right.

I took a cross country trip in 2010... in the middle of winter and some of it was crazy, sub zero, cold... but I had a ton of friends over the years I got to stay with... and that was one of the best parts. Keep the shiney side up and keep posting.

Charlotte
Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #208
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Thanks for sharing ~ been enjoying your ride report

Your words are insightful~keep up the posts and stay safe.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #209
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all the kind words. I don't know why I like hearing your feedback on my posts, but maybe it is because I am traveling alone and hearing from you makes it seem I am not alone. Or maybe its because I need a reason to justify my trip so I am not feeling selfish. Or maybe its just an ego thing.
Probably all of the above.
But I hope to hear from more people. I know I have almost 20,000 hits so some are looking but not commenting. I would like to hear from you.
And yes, if I had to do it over, I would change the name of my blog to something more eye catching.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #210
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,685
I've been following along and really enjoy seeing your updates.. I also love the area that you have ridden so far and since i'm on lockdown for the next few months.. it's nice to get a break and see it through your eyes. keep it up.. your not alone - if you find yourself down in my neck of the woods give a shout (i'm in tent space as well).