User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #241
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 229
Well... it is really just a practical thing at this point... I got some money by some freak of nature a few months ago... and I am out of debt now, with around 3K of that having gone to the IRS (which I had gotten behind on in 2010 and 2011). I need to wait until I clear up this years taxes (after I file in 2013) before I go crazy... lol I hear they don't approve much of federal tax delinquents crossing international borders. As far as work... I have done 900 applications, and, I have interview #35 on Tuesday (since my lay off in 2010)... it is a craptastic situation, but at least I am surviving ok for now.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #242
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,665
Sounds like the perfect time to go to me.
Once you get a job, you won't have the time to travel.
And one day you will be sitting behind your desk thinking that you should have gone while you had the time
Old 09-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #243
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Thumb

I'm enjoying your report immensely. Happy Trails!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #244
nicola_a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyWhatever View Post
As far as work... I have done 900 applications, and, I have interview #35 on Tuesday (since my lay off in 2010)... it is a craptastic situation, but at least I am surviving ok for now.
I agree with Ed; now seems like the perfect time, you are debt free and not tied to a job.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #245
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

... keep taunting me... see what happens...

Old 09-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #246
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Means and desire

If you wait until all your stars are in alinement, you will be trading in Piglet for a Harley, because you will be the old fart .
Like I said before, as long as have the means "and" the desire, I am doing this. When you are young, you have the desire. When you are old, you will hopefully have the means. But when the two cross paths in your life, you have to jump at the chance.......even if it is just for a month or two. It might be your only shot in life.

Ed
Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #247
LouDog
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I absolutely love your camping and hiking style of touring! keep it up - stay fit and stay young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
When you are young, you have the desire. When you are old, you will hopefully have the means. But when the two cross paths in your life, you have to jump at the chance.......even if it is just for a month or two.
My paths are aligning. I'm 22 now with a good income and thrifty life. Will be able to do the tour of my dreams by 23/24

p.s. A motorcycle tour guide when you aren't touring? You sir, are living the dream.

LouDog screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 05:51 PM
Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #248
gwedo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
in all the way great start . i thought i was the only one who traveled with a corkscrewgood luck
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #249
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

LOL, and a folding stainless wine glass :)
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #250
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

... maybe you just need a box of wine strapped to the top of your rear top case...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #251
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Space...........

..................the final frontier
No, I am not talking about that kind of "space"
I am talking about "room" or "volume"
Or pertaining to a motorcycle adventure.........how much stuff you can bring with you.
I went from living in a 4000 square foot, 5 bedroom house on over an acre of land (and that's a lot for living in Southern California) to cramming everything I need into my 3 hard cases, tank bag and backpack. And that includes my house (tent).
That is quite a change but it is amazing how manageable it is.
But you have to make some changes otherwise it will drive you crazy.
You have to be very space efficient. Everything has to be packed just the right way or it doesn't work. You get in to a routine and it makes it easier and more manageable. Everything has its space.
And you have to be more efficient with what you have. Little things like toothpaste, shampoo and even toilet paper, you use just enough to get the job done and nothing more. Sure you can always stop at the store and resupply, but that takes time and I don't want to be shopping when I can be exploring. And then there are times when you are miles away from the nearest store, so you better not run out of toilet paper or something important along the way.
Now that I am back from Alaska, I am making a list of the things I still need (air compressor, folding chair, more underwear, etc) and the things that I can do without that I brought with me on my Alaska trip (down vest, some tools and spare 19" tube). Now that I am ditching the tube, I will probably need it. Just you watch!
The best part of it all is that everything in your world that you need to take care of is in a space you can practically put your arms around. It is your whole world condensed down to a small manageable size. And that is really nice. I have no dishwasher that could break. No yard to be mowed. And no swimming pool to pick leaves out of. Yeh, I miss my swimming pool but my new swimming pool is even bigger. I call it the Pacific Ocean. And I don't have to pick the leaves out of it!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #252
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Thanks for sharing

I have follow your report since beginning, I do like your style of travel
Amazing pictures, well written and very creative. Have a safe trip where ever you go
If you happen in San Diego or OC let me know I will buy you a steak dinner and a bottle of wine
Take care and keep the RR coming.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #253
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I live in So Cal
I am around for a bit getting ready to head south in to Central America
I am ready for that steak any time, but I will bring the wine......I am kind of a wine snob
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #254
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Yes... Oh, how I miss the mandatory un-packing and re-packing... if you do happen to get a hotel, or a place to stay with friends... you MUST throw your clothes about the room in the evening, and then carefully fold, and roll them in the morning (facing out for easy access) before you put everything back in its place... it becomes a sort of simple meditation, along with breaking a tent down in the morning...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #255
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Thumb Deal.......

Sound good you bring the wine then I will provide steak........[QUOTE=flyingdutchman177;19509452]I live in So Cal
I am around for a bit getting ready to head south in to Central America
I am ready for that steak any time, but I will bring the wine......I am kind of a wine snob[/QUOTE]
Closed Thread