ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #3466
yamahagrizzly
n00b
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 3
I started reading this thread Tuesday afternoon at work. i just now got to the last page.

Great story.. i started by just looking at only picks then went back to the first page and read from the beginning much better to read and look at pick.

I would love to make a trip like this happen some day.

i love the different construction styles of this world and like to see how things are done differently from how we do them ( construction material, methods of wiring, plumbing, hvac, devices and fixtures used) my wife says i am dull with what i find interesting

safe trip
yamahagrizzly is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #3467
barrakuda
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Santiago, Chile
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by =[BAD]=TEX View Post
What would have been funny is .... when the owner came pulling up to park his car in his garage at about 2 am.
in the 5th gear reverse jajaj
barrakuda is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #3468
K777
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 39
Thanks

I'm a little sad I'm all caught up on reading about your journey, but I'll keep checking in for more (and will be more productive at work)
Dreams of trips like this are what got me to get a motorcycle again after a few years of just riding scooters. I picked up my F700GS a week ago and next week go on a short tour through the NY Finger Lakes area.
In August I'm doing a ride from NYC to Bar Harbor on the scooter, camping all the way.
Work, money, and being a not so young woman (I don't know how well a woman traveling alone would fare in some places) might keep me from an adventure like this, but not all adventure. Hoping on Vietnam next year with a few friends.
__________________
'13 F700GS
'79 Vespa P125
'07 Vespa GTS 250
K777 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #3469
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by =[BAD]=TEX View Post
What would have been funny is .... when the owner came pulling up to park his car in his garage at about 2 am.
You look at it from a negative stand point.
I saw it this way.......

If the owner came home at 2 am, she would be a 30 year old hot and drunk French woman with a bottle of Grand Cru Burgundy in her hand. And she would say.........why are you sleeping in the garage? Why don't you come inside where it is warm and dry. And help me finish this bottle of DRC.
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #3470
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by K777 View Post
I'm a little sad I'm all caught up on reading about your journey, but I'll keep checking in for more (and will be more productive at work)
Dreams of trips like this are what got me to get a motorcycle again after a few years of just riding scooters. I picked up my F700GS a week ago and next week go on a short tour through the NY Finger Lakes area.
In August I'm doing a ride from NYC to Bar Harbor on the scooter, camping all the way.
Work, money, and being a not so young woman (I don't know how well a woman traveling alone would fare in some places) might keep me from an adventure like this, but not all adventure. Hoping on Vietnam next year with a few friends.
You will see only positive things will happen by being a woman traveling alone.
So many doors will open for you that you dont see now.
Just be ready for them.
And check the woman traveling alone thru Africa on a moto here on advrider.
She's my hero
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #3471
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahagrizzly View Post
I started reading this thread Tuesday afternoon at work. i just now got to the last page.

Great story.. i started by just looking at only picks then went back to the first page and read from the beginning much better to read and look at pick.

I would love to make a trip like this happen some day.

i love the different construction styles of this world and like to see how things are done differently from how we do them ( construction material, methods of wiring, plumbing, hvac, devices and fixtures used) my wife says i am dull with what i find interesting

safe trip
Sounds like you need to trade in that old jalopy for a new model and hit the road with her.
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #3472
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahagrizzly View Post
I started reading this thread Tuesday afternoon at work. i just now got to the last page.

Great story.. i started by just looking at only picks then went back to the first page and read from the beginning much better to read and look at pick.

I would love to make a trip like this happen some day.

i love the different construction styles of this world and like to see how things are done differently from how we do them ( construction material, methods of wiring, plumbing, hvac, devices and fixtures used) my wife says i am dull with what i find interesting

safe trip
My hard cases are of course secure
My backpack is held on by only bungie cords
By yellow waterproof bag has straps and a PAC safe wire mesh around it
And my tank bag is locked to the bike with a cable lock
So far, nothing has been stolen other than things I left out on the bike like my gloves and my waterbag.
If it takes more than a second to steal something it will help keep things safe
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #3473
squawk77
Dreamer
 
squawk77's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Deutschland
Oddometer: 493
This report is in a class of its own!! I finally got caught up

If you're visiting the Moselle vineyards let me know, I'm about an hour north of that. I can barely tell one wine from the other, but I have lots of scotch and Belgian beers. I also have a season pass to the Nordschleife.
__________________
ADVriders on Kiva | Balkans | Morocco | Alps | Corsica
squawk77 is offline  
Old 07-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #3474
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer
 
shallowskiff's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
My hard cases are of course secure
My backpack is held on by only bungie cords
By yellow waterproof bag has straps and a PAC safe wire mesh around it
And my tank bag is locked to the bike with a cable lock
So far, nothing has been stolen other than things I left out on the bike like my gloves and my waterbag.
If it takes more than a second to steal something it will help keep things safe
Thanks for info.
shallowskiff is offline  
Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #3475
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,625
I am just outside Paris now.
There are so many slow moving caravans on the road now.
The drivers here are very curtious. When you come up on a slower car, a lot of times they will drive on the shoulder to give you room to pass. Just the opposite of Bolivia where they try to kill you. And I think if they did kill you there, they wouldn't stop or care. Kind of like when a bug splats on your windshield.
The motorcyclist are friendly too. Everyone waives.....even the Harley guya.
Looking forward to the Paris-sites.......that is if I ever get past all these travel trailers on the road.
The toll roads are expensive and unlike Spain, you can't just go around the gate. And sometimes they have police there watching.
And speaking of police, they have radar here and they are using it. Everywhere else except Panama, I just follow my own rules. But honestly, my driving hasn't changed much. I am still using the sidewalk to pass cars and disregarding what the center stripe is telling me when it is safe to pass.
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 07-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #3476
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,625
I am in Paris now
It is 1 am and I still have no idea where I am spending the night.
I just got here a few hours ago and I am already ready to leave.
I don't like the big cities
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 07-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #3477
mjwatkins
n00b
 
Joined: May 2013
Oddometer: 5
Ed, we have never met. I have been able to find out about since you arrived in Spain. It took me a bit to read and catch up. Incredible and amazing. Your honesty is appreciated. No we may not agree on all things, but this is your story. Thank you for sharing it. Congrats on reaching Paris. You have a courageous heart. Stay strong. One day I hope to follow your journey a little less virtually.
mjwatkins is offline  
Old 07-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #3478
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Europe
Oddometer: 4,625
So I roll on in to Paris yesterday afternoon.
I follow my GPS to the center of town.
I dont have the city maps in my GPS so I just aim for the checked flag.
I arrive and get off the bike.......now what?
I am here. I dont know anyone and dont know my way around.
So I just started walking.
I checked out the sites for a bit and then started to look for a place to sleep.
Did you know hotels here start at about a hundred bucks a night?
Well I had a crappy $45 dinner with some good beer and then looked around for somewhere to sleep.
It was about 2 am and I just found a spot on the sidewalk to.sleep next to all the other bums. And it was hard to find a good spot because if you are really looking for a good place, either some other bum beat you to it or UT smells like piss and has piss stains all around.
I pull up on the sidewalk and shut off my bike and no more than two seconds pass and I am getting the French Policemans whistle. The two cops walk over to me and said I couldn't park my moto there. I told them that I just wanted to sleep like all the other bums. He said it was no problem, I just needed to move my moto. He even showed me a spot to sleep.
So there I was, sleeping on the sidewalk about a block from Notre Dame.
I slept about three hours until the pigeons woke me up. So classic.
And so classy.
Hopefully never again.
I am sooooo out of here.
But first I want to see a gal named Monalisa..........
flyingdutchman177 is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #3479
Moose_DK
No stress
 
Moose_DK's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Denmark
Oddometer: 592
Here is a nice campground: http://www.paris-camping.fr/

Camping Paris-Est
Boulevard des Alliés
94507 Champigny-sur-Marne
Frankrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
So I roll on in to Paris yesterday afternoon.
I follow my GPS to the center of town.
I dont have the city maps in my GPS so I just aim for the checked flag.
I arrive and get off the bike.......now what?
I am here. I dont know anyone and dont know my way around.
So I just started walking.
I checked out the sites for a bit and then started to look for a place to sleep.
Did you know hotels here start at about a hundred bucks a night?
Well I had a crappy $45 dinner with some good beer and then looked around for somewhere to sleep.
It was about 2 am and I just found a spot on the sidewalk to.sleep next to all the other bums. And it was hard to find a good spot because if you are really looking for a good place, either some other bum beat you to it or UT smells like piss and has piss stains all around.
I pull up on the sidewalk and shut off my bike and no more than two seconds pass and I am getting the French Policemans whistle. The two cops walk over to me and said I couldn't park my moto there. I told them that I just wanted to sleep like all the other bums. He said it was no problem, I just needed to move my moto. He even showed me a spot to sleep.
So there I was, sleeping on the sidewalk about a block from Notre Dame.
I slept about three hours until the pigeons woke me up. So classic.
And so classy.
Hopefully never again.
I am sooooo out of here.
But first I want to see a gal named Monalisa..........
__________________
M&M on tour.
Mini (Camilla) and Mooose (Esben)

Our RR: M & M Touring the states. July 2009 to January 2010
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post10289818

Our danish blog
http://touringthestates.blogspot.com/

-------------------------
morgen stunden har guld i munden
men kan også ha ondt i hovedet
Moose_DK is offline  
Old 07-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #3480
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mikecbrxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: English expat in The Hague
Oddometer: 192
Finally....

Caught up at last Hope to see you in a few weeks in The Hague.
mikecbrxx is online now  
Closed Thread

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014