User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #3856
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Drum roll please.........................

The best beer in the world.
And the finalists were all from Belgium.
To be fair, there are lots of good beers brewed all over the world including from my home state of California. I love the beers from Stone Brewing Co and Sierra Nevada.
But for this competition, we only tried beers from Belgium.
And the list is not inclusive of every good beer from Belgium but we did find an example from each of the 6 Monasteries that brew beer in Belgium

Here's a picture of all the bottles in the competition in no particular order

Old 08-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #3857
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The list

Here's the list:

Trappistes Rochefort 8. This was a very good beer. One of the best.
It has 9.2% alcohol.
It is a medium brown color with a nice smooth fruity finish. It has some coffee notes as well

Trappistes Rockefort 10. This one was brewed at 11.3%. It had a more sweeter, fruity taste than the 8 and has a big creamy head. It reminded of Old Fog Horn Barley wine from Anchor Brewing Co. It was very good and one of my favorites. It might have been a bit sweet but if you like that style, it was excellent.

La Trappe Quadrupel. It had 10% alcohol. It was similar in style with the Rockefort 8 but maybe just a notch behind.

Chimay Red. 8% This one had a more hoppy flavor and a nice bouquet. Less sweet than the blue but delicious.

Leffe Triple. 8.5% alcohol. This one was more malty than the others and a lighter bodied.

La Trappe Triple. Brewed at 8% alcohol. It was lighter in color with a nice hoppy flavor

Duvel. 8.5% It is a very popular beer here. I also considered this one to have a strong flavor with lots of bitter hops, but it was lighter in style than most of the beers we tasted here.

Orval. 6.2% This beer has been aged a minimum of one year before being release. The aging has mellowed the hops and the bitterness. It is someone fruity tasting and has a lot of complexity going on. One of my favorites.

Westmalle Dubble 7% This beer was not as interesting as some of the other dark beers we tasted. But I later had it on tap at the brewery, and it was better.

Chimay blue 9% Classic Chimay. Originally brewed only for Christmas, this beer has some nice holiday spice flavors and it well balance with sweetness and hops

St Feuillien brown in color and kind of bland tasting. Need to be a bit more hopped.

Rodenbach. 5.2% Has a semi-sweet soda pop taste. It is a simple, easy drinking and a favorite amongst girls. And for that reason, guys like it too.

Maredsous Brown 8% Nice creamy head. It has a malty/nutty taste with a good amount of bitterness. But it leaves a nice clean finish.

Kasteel Donker a wopping 11%. This one was the biggest surprise to me. It was sweet, smooth and deceptively strong. It was pretty sweet, maybe a little too much so but it was one of my favorites.

Westvleteren 12. I will be tasting the 10 later but the 12 is there best seller. It is brewed at 10.2% Everyone calls this the best beer in the world and I can see why. It is so well balanced. It doesn't scream anything but it has a nice mouthful of flavors and sure to put a smile on your face (depending what you paid for it)

Rochefort 6 Brewed at 7.5% It has a lighter, pilsner style taste

Westmalle triple. better than their double. It has a strong and interesting hoppy taste

Trappist Achel triple. Very similar to the Westmalle triple but maybe just a tad better. It also has a pineapple flavor on the finish.

Palm a simple, lager style beer for every day drinking on a budget

Chimay white 7% It's a well made triple. Similar to the Westmalle but not quite as sharp.

De Troch Lambic. completely different than the others. Almost no CO2. Very sour tasting beer. If you like sour candy, you might like it but it was my least favorite.

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 04:03 PM
Old 08-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #3858
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

So which is best???

It's hard to pick a winner here. Here are my top 8

The Rockefort 8 and 10 were really good. I think the 10 is the better of the 2.

The Chimay red and blue are super yummy too. I think the blue is a bit better because of its sweet spice notes.

The Orval simply rocks. It is a great balance between a darker beer like the Chimay blue and red and a lighter triple.
Plus the beer was aged for one year to cut down on some of the bitterness.

The Kasteel Donker was such a surprise. It is sweet but it has some great flavors. And at 11%, it will sneak up on you if you are not careful

The Westvleteren may deserve all the hype but is it truly the best beer in the world? I am not so sure

Trappist Achel triple was probably the best triple of the bunch

But if I had to pick a winner here, it would be between the Rochefort 10, the Chimay blue, the Orval aged 6.2 and the Westvleteren 12

These 4 beers are very different from each other.
The Chimay blue is the best dark beer
The Rochefort 10 is the best barley wine style beer
The Westvleteren 12 is well balanced.

But if I could have a beer right now, I would have to go with the Orval aged 6.2.

It is not a light beer
It is not a dark beer
But it may be the best beer in the world.
Find it. Try it. And see for yourself.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #3859
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimke1971 View Post
Great RR, Great guy!!!
I had the honour to invite Ed to our humble house in Liedekerke, a small town near Brussels!

For two nights and three days the flying dutchman stayed in Belgium, a small but great country! We drove together ca 300 km.

We had two things Ed liked, beer and .... Beer.
We can't say we tasted them all, because otherwise he and I would be dead drunk!

It was really an enormous pleasure to meet the great traveller who was allmost a superstar in my eyes! I look up at him with great respect and he left us all yesterday with tears in our eyes!

My wife said she never met a guy like you! A true gentleman, a prince on a black and yellow horse, a man with a filosophy and a determination like no one we have met before!

He had to do it, the trip, he said so many times! And he s doing it, all day, untill he will find what he's looking for!

You make women wet and men dream about how you live YOUR life!
(The romantic things, we did this morning, but i know of who she was thinking ;-) !

Ride on my friend!

Thanks for the kind words Wim. I really enjoyed my time with you and your family. When you are traveling alone for a long period of time and sleeping in a tent or hammock most nights, it is a real treat to be welcomed in to your home and make me feel at home like you did.
The bed, hot showers, food, chocolate and beer were all appreciated.
And as far as your wife goes, I think she had her Belgium beer goggles on, as we all did.
Stay in touch my friend
Old 08-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #3860
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I can't wait to ride Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
We are back from Cabo. And this trip made me realize once again that I don't really like Cabo San Lucas. It is expensive and full of tourists looking for something that it is not. For now on, I am just going to stop at Loreto or the Bay of Conception and hang out on the beach with some cold beers. To me.....that is real Mexico. But I am glad we went nonetheless. It was my GF's first time riding to the tip so we had to do it. And it was nice to get a shower in a real hotel.
On the way back we camped at El Requision on the beach for 2 nights. It is my favorite spot in the world so far. We caught some fish, clams and scallops for dinner.
I have traveled thru Baja over 100 times in the past 10 years and I have not had one bad experience down there. The people that are fearful of Mexico are the people that never go but they are quick to spout warnings to everyone about its dangers.
On Monday, I am heading up to Alaska for about a month. I think I am going to log in about 10,000 miles along the way. More on that later......
I am going to upload some Baja pictures and videos as soon as I figure out how to do this
I've always wondered about the "Doom Sayers" talking about the dangers of third world countries. You can find evil anywhere, but my experience is you are more likely find generosity from those with the least to give. I'm looking forward to making the "trip to the tip" and like you I'd like to skip Cabo San Lucas but you can't get to the tip without going there. I hope to dip my toe and scram quickly back to a less tourist saturated area.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #3861
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV'IT! View Post
It was really great to meet you today!
Thanks for stopping by and all the valuable feedback you give us on your Defender GTX suit.

We wish you all the best and will follow your trip from here.
Team REV'IT!
The pleasure was mine
I enjoyed my tour of the Rev'it facility and talking with your team.
Looks like you have some great new products coming on line soon and I will look forward to trying some of them if and when my Defender suit ever wears out. For now, I am still loving it.
And sorry for thinking all this time you were a man.
This picture should prove otherwise.
Stay in touch

Old 08-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #3862
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Amsterdam

Is Amsterdam the coolest town in the world?
It might just be.
It has that old Europe charm. Canals for streets like Venice. And let's not forget the girls in the Red Light district.
Plus if you are in to doper, you can smoke a fat one in a coffee shop there.
The smoking part didn't interest me but looking at all the girls certainly did.
I think I have made it clear that I hate shopping. Maybe that is one reason why I am not a fan of walking the streets in the downtown area of any big town. It's mostly just a bunch of shops selling the same old crap and clothes.
But in Amsterdam, there are girls for sale.........and some are really cute too. Lots of Russian and Eastern Europeans. Fun window shopping
Here's how it all works:
They sand behind a glass door on the street wearing a bikini and they are all dancing, winking and waving at you trying to entice you to come in. As far as I could tell, the going rate was $50 for about 15 minutes. And that seemed to be bargain for the quality there.
I can honestly say I have never had sex with a hooker but I also have to say it was little tempting. It is something that you have to see to believe.
Sorry no pictures of the girls but here is a picture riding in to the city of a million bicycles

Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #3863
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

When in Rome......

In France, I tried the wine
In Belgium, I tried the beer
In Amsterdam, I didn't try the women but I did do something else that was kind of out of my character. I tried some space cake. Space cake is the same as hash brownies. Or a brownie with pot in it.
And I can honestly say that I have never smoked or tried pot before.......EVER!
But when in Rome (or in this case Amsterdam), I tried a Space Cake. You can buy some in any coffee shop and it is completely legal.
The guy that sold it to me recommended that I eat half, wait and hour to see how it affects me and eat the other half if so desired. Well, I wolfed down the whole brownie in about 30 seconds.
I had met my good friend Jim there (see page 3 and 4 of my blog).
It just so happened that Jim was in Amsterdam that week and we met up for dinner, beers and some Space Cake for dessert.

I am not sure what I was expecting from the Space cake, but I was hoping for something more than I got.
I thought I would think everything was funny. I was expecting to do some really stupid things. But all I got was dizzy. And spacy.
And I had trouble thinking straight.
It was not a good feeling. I wasn't any more happy. And I doubt I will ever do it again.
I think I will stick with beer and wine.
Yeah, sure, my favorite beers and wines are more expensive than a $5 Space Cake, but I found out that pot is not for me

Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #3864
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Roads View Post
I've always wondered about the "Doom Sayers" talking about the dangers of third world countries. You can find evil anywhere, but my experience is you are more likely find generosity from those with the least to give. I'm looking forward to making the "trip to the tip" and like you I'd like to skip Cabo San Lucas but you can't get to the tip without going there. I hope to dip my toe and scram quickly back to a less tourist saturated area.
If you haven't done cabo before, you have to go.
And besides, if you only go half way, you will always have the desire to complete the whole trip
The ride to cabo has to be one of the best week long motorcycle trips in the world. Take your time and enjoy yourself.
But if you have less time, I have made it from the border to sipping on a beer in Cabo San Lucas in 12 and a half hours on my motorcycle.
Yes, that is correct........about half a day. Do the math. It was nuts.
Then Google Cabo 1000 and learn about a crazy unsanctioned motorcycle race from the border to cabo.
That's how I started
Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #3865
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Stopping at Westmalle brewery for some dubbel and triple

Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #3866
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Right now I am staying with a nice family just south of Amsterdam.
They contacted me thru my blog when they found out that I was going to be in the area.

The husband and wife team rode a pair of BMW GS 1200 Adventure bikes from Alaska to the tip of South America last year.

We have been chatting and comparing stories.

And they have been taking great care of me with some good home cooking

Thank you so much

Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #3867
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yum
Home made Paella

Old 08-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #3868
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

And he has a great workshop too
I changed the engine and transmission oil, cleaned the air filters, put on a new back tire and balanced the front.
ready to put some miles on

Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #3869
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Plus I opened up this baby today.
As you know, most beer should be consumed fresh.
But some beer can age.
The blue Chimay is one of those beers.
The boss at Chimay gave me this beer.
I will never forget what he said when he handed it to me.

He said........"I am giving this beer to you because it is so expensive that you probably could not afford it"

What did it taste like you ask.
To me, it tasted like a blue Chimay without any of the normal sharpness. It was very mellow and subdued.
It is also had a little coco note that I liked.
It was an honor and a great experience to sample such a beer.
Thank you

Old 08-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #3870
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by La qunta gs rider 2 View Post
Are you going to go too northern irlend
No plans for the UK on this trip but I would like to do the isle of man one day
Closed Thread