Oddometer: 58
Condolences to the family.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #4939
huntertim214
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
I have pretty much committed myself to buying a Honda CRF250L in Thailand.
I went to Honda dealer in California to look at one last week. It is going to better than awesome. :)
I'm excited to see you bombing the jungle backroads on a Honda!! No Wing, No Prayer!! It will be like Baja, except with half the CC's and less sand and rocks...and a lot more trees, mud and gear
Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #4940
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntertim214 View Post
I'm excited to see you bombing the jungle backroads on a Honda!! No Wing, No Prayer!! It will be like Baja, except with half the CC's and less sand and rocks...and a lot more trees, mud and gear
Yes, exactly like Baja but completely different, I guess :)
Old 11-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #4941
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I need a vacation

I set off for SE Asia in a couple of Weeks for 5 months.
And then back to Europe for 5 months.
Kathe has 2 Weeks off starting this week so we started to look in to some options.
We found this cruise for less than $300 each for the week.
It is almost as cheap as living in a tent.
Pictures to come

Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #4942
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
Should be good times,cruising with Kathe,enjoy
Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #4943
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,180
Make sure you do the swimming with the rays in Grand Cayman. Way cool.
BECAUSE IT'S SECRET SANTA TIME!!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #4944
Wimke1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
You never said which was your favorite of the 21 beers we tasted.
I like m all!
It's like picking your favourite movie or song... I can't choose either...
Old 11-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #4945
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

my plan

My gf thinks I have another gf because I spend so much time on the internet.
I am trying to convince her that I am just getting information and planning the next leg of my trip. But I think she would prefer that I had another gf than leave again on my motorcycle.....lol.
And here is what I have planned.

I am going to fly in to Bangkok in late Novenber and then catch a train or a flight to Chaing Mai in the north part of Thailand.
There I hope to buy the Honda, get residency and put the ownership of the moto in to my own name.
This might take a week or more.
During this time I hope to explore the area around Chaing Mai which I understand has some of the best riding in the area.
From there, I will head in to Laos and Cambodia.

The weather is always an issue with trip planning but it is even harder is SE Asia because when it is the dry season in one area, it is the wet season in another.
But I think I have it planned to minimize the rain I will encounter.

It is looking like a long shot that I will be able to get the Honda in to Vietnam which is a shame. But I have to visit the country which will mean parking the Honda for a couple of Weeks and renting a cheap bike there. It is also a long skinny country so I will have a lot of ground to cover in two Weeks. I hope to do Vietnam in late January to early February.
Later in February, I will pass thru Bangkok on my way to Malaysia.
On or around the first of March, I want to hope on a boat to Indonesia. And to get the Honda in to Indonesia, I will need a Carnet, which I believe I can pick up in Malaysia.
From there, I want to ride to Bali and then turn around and head back to Bangkok where I will find a place to either sell the bike or put it in to storage and return to it later.

The rainy season is just ending in April in Indonesia and beginning in May in Thailand. So I will head back to Albania, get back aboard The Flying Dutchman and finish Europe over the summer of next year. I want to first head south to Greece, then Turkey, do I loop around the Black Sea. I will be passing thru Armenia and Georgia. I will need to figure out how to pick up a Russian Visa along the way to get to Ukraine. And then thru Bulgaria and Romania on my way back toward the Adriatic Sea. Then up to the Czech Republic and south to Italy. My final stop in Europe will be Spain. At that point, I will need to evaluate my finances and decide what is next in store for me. I would love to do India/Nepal and then Africa, but first I have a lot of miles and dollars to go in Asia and Europe first.
What do you think?

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 11:35 AM
Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #4946
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
My gf thinks I have another gf because I spend so much time on the internet.
I am trying to convince her that I am just getting information and planning the next leg of my trip. But I think she would prefer that I had another gf than leave again on my motorcycle.....lol.
And here is what I have planned.

I am going to fly in to Bangkok in late Novenber and then catch a train or a flight to Chaing Mai in the north part of Thailand.
There I hope to buy the Honda, get residency and put the ownership of the moto in to my own name.
This might take a week or more.
During this time I hope to explore the area around Chaing Mai which I understand has some of the best riding in the area.
From there, I will head in to Laos and Cambodia.

The weather is always an issue with trip planning but it is even harder is SE Asia because when it is the dry season in one area, it is the wet season in another.
But I think I have it planned to minimize the rain I will encounter.

It is looking like a long shot that I will be able to get the Honda in to Vietnam which is a shame. But I have to visit the country which will mean parking the Honda for a couple of Weeks and renting a cheap bike there. It is also a long skinny country so I will have a lot of ground to cover in two Weeks. I hope to do Vietnam in late January to early February.
Later in February, I will pass thru Bangkok on my way to Malaysia.
On or around the first of March, I want to hope on a boat to Indonesia. And to get the Honda in to Indonesia, I will need a Carnet, which I believe I can pick up in Malaysia.
From there, I want to ride to Bali and then turn around and head back to Bangkok where I will find a place to either sell the bike or put it in to storage and return to it later.

The rainy season is just ending in April in Indonesia and beginning in May in Thailand. So I will head back to Albania, get back aboard The Flying Dutchman and finish Europe over the summer of next year. I want to first head south to Greece, then Turkey, do I loop around the Black Sea. I will be passing thru Armenia and Georgia. I will need to figure out how to pick up a Russian Visa along the way to get to Ukraine. And then thru Bulgaria and Romania on my way back toward the Adriatic Sea. Then up to the Czech Republic and south to Italy. My final stop in Europe will be Spain. At that point, I will need to evaluate my finances and decide what is next in store for me. I would love to do India/Nepal and then Africa, but first I have a lot of miles and dollars to go in Asia and Europe first.
What do you think?
Did you read this? Unless of course, you didn't want to enter/exit at same border crossing in Nam?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #4947
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 127
Thumb

That sounds very nice, i also have read that you can now get into Myanmar (Burma) by motorbike, and since it's kind of a new thing, it's one of the ultimate off the beaten paths :).
I'll be spending christmas in Kuala Lumpur and new year in Cambodia, have you though about were you'll be during that time of the year? It would be cool to finally get to meet.

About the rest of your trip, Africa is on top of a lot of people's list, but there are some concerns about safety when crossing some countries, but i guess that the danger areas can be largely avoided. At the very least you should experience Morocco :)

keep it up, we all thank you for that

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 11-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #4948
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Did you read this? Unless of course, you didn't want to enter/exit at same border crossing in Nam?
Yes,
I have been doing a lot of research about trying to get in to Vietnam.
I have heard that it might be possible at that border but the recent news indicates that the loophole might be closed. Some guys tried to cross earlier this year and they were turned around. I heard one guy had a crash and it caused the party to end for everyone else.
I will continue to research the possibilities of crossing there, but unless news comes out that others have made the crossing successfully this year, I will have to assume it is no longer possible
Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #4949
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
That sounds very nice, i also have read that you can now get into Myanmar (Burma) by motorbike, and since it's kind of a new thing, it's one of the ultimate off the beaten paths :).
I'll be spending christmas in Kuala Lumpur and new year in Cambodia, have you though about were you'll be during that time of the year? It would be cool to finally get to meet.

About the rest of your trip, Africa is on top of a lot of people's list, but there are some concerns about safety when crossing some countries, but i guess that the danger areas can be largely avoided. At the very least you should experience Morocco :)
G
keep it up, we all thank you for that
From what I have heard, Burma is still closed to the independent traveler. You can explore the country on two wheels only if you go as part of a guided tour.
Sure there have been one or two people that have gone solo in Burma in the past 100 years, but they got lucky or knew someone high up.
I still hope I can get to Burma if just for one day.
It is truly one of the last great frontiers on earth just waiting to be explored
Also, let's stay in touch and see if we can meet up in SE Asia
Old 11-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #4950
Starstruck
Zoner

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
My gf thinks I have another gf because

I think you will find that Vietnam is more than two weeks, particularly if you plan to do both north and south. On the other hand, renting a bike (or scooter!) there is not so much a challenge. You might want to look at Mekong River crossings into Vietnam if you are going through Cambodia. Easy border, short trip by boat and maybe if you can navigate Vietnamese customs, there's a way to get someone to take the Honda in along the river. BTW - just about everything is easier and cheaper to do once you have your feet on the ground in SE Asia.