Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #5056
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
Trust me, I am doing the best I can, so she doesn't have to call in the village.
Is she into that kind of thing errrr???
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #5057
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Right now I need a friend in Thailand that can help me with buying a CRF250L. It would nice to have someone that can speak the language, someone that give me a bed and look after my things while I am out bike shopping and someone to help me with obtaining residency so I can put the bike's title in to my name.
Someone must know somebody! Lets get this guy a bike!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #5058
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,449
Wicked

[QUOTE=Dune;22836318]Someone must know somebody! Lets get this guy a bike!!! [/QYesUOTE]

Yes, it's strange. Usually money can help facilitate most things.
I have the means and the desire but Thailand doesn't make it that easy.....at least not in my case
To own a motorcycle there, I need to be a resident. To apply for residency takes a visit to an office, filling out paperwork, paying some money and then waiting a week.
Then if I buy a new bike, it takes a month to get the plates and title, which I will need to cross borders.
So I think it will be easier to just buy a used CRF. That way I can get on the bike sooner. But trying to find a used bike in a country where I don't speak the language will prove to be a challenge.
What I really need is a friend to help me over there to assist me with all the this stuff.
Maybe I should post an ad in a Bangkok newspaper personal ad section:

American coming to Thailand seeking adventure and a good time. Looking for someone to help me with my needs. I need something to ride so contact me if you can help

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:36 AM
Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #5059
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 127
Thumb

Quote:

American coming to Thailand seeking adventure and a good time. Looking for someone to help me with my needs. I need something to ride so contact me if you can help
hahaha, yes do that an please,please,please post back what that got you into.... i'm sure it would be very funny to us all, maybe not so much for you

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 11-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #5060
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

There are movies about such things are there not??
I had the same problem when I moved to Germany originally as I could not speak the language though many Germans still speak English the internet navigation was a problem - I ended up buying new to begin with as the dealership was only too willing to help. Once I picked up some of the language and got to know some of the websites I could use I traded up / down for a used bike for less money. I would agree used is the way to go. More difficult of course in Thailand I am sure. As I am sure you have found English speaking I found was most commonly found when in Foreign / remote places at the local pub... I would suggest the local rippers for some cute help - though you may need Kath to help to keep you out of trouble... This is starting to sound more and more like a 'movie' I have seen...
you are going to need a village!

keep us posted.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #5061
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
hahaha, yes do that an please,please,please post back what that got you into.... i'm sure it would be very funny to us all, maybe not so much for you
Anything with an Adams apple and I am soooooooo out of there!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #5062
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
yep, careful with the Ladyboys or whatever they call them :) hehehe

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
Old 11-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #5063
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I had not considered that possibility be ware!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #5064
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
i was doing some gear research and ran across posts from FTB, http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=25340

looks to be a Thai local riding KTMs in gnarly terrain, just what you're looking for!

might be able to help with a bike/info.
not sure if you read my reply from some pages back, but try this guy.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
Old 11-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #5065
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:

Funnily enough, I'll be riding in Cambodia with him next week... on the KTM I bought from him last year and rode through Laos and Cambodia on.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 11-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #5066
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,454
[QUOTE=flyingdutchman177;22837345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
Someone must know somebody! Lets get this guy a bike!!! [/QYesUOTE]

Yes, it's strange. Usually money can help facilitate most things.
I have the means and the desire but Thailand doesn't make it that easy.....at least not in my case
To own a motorcycle there, I need to be a resident. To apply for residency takes a visit to an office, filling out paperwork, paying some money and then waiting a week.
Then if I buy a new bike, it takes a month to get the plates and title, which I will need to cross borders.
So I think it will be easier to just buy a used CRF. That way I can get on the bike sooner. But trying to find a used bike in a country where I don't speak the language will prove to be a challenge.
What I really need is a friend to help me over there to assist me with all the this stuff.

I find Asia to be quite easy, open and friendly... but I've seen some who don't. Its all about the approach. Give the finger to the wrong guy and you can end up eating a lead sandwich. Say something even slightly downputting within earshot of an official... things will not go smoothly.

There are ways of dealing with these things, but if people even suspect that they will read about it on the 'net, you'll not even hear about how to manage it. Its best done on the ground there. You may not achieve the nirvana you seek... but you'll find that there's a way around just about everything.

Your chances of getting "your" bike into Vietnam are slim. It can be done... but the reality is, your chances are slim. You can get from Malaysia to Indonesia, but it might cost you $2,500 if you go about it the wrong way (I just posted some info to one of your rideasia.net threads about that). You might.... and on it goes.

What you CAN do is ride in Asia and have a lot of fun. I do, a lot of other guys I know do too. I've had some issues with "the system", but that's what adventure riding is all about... sussing it out, solving the problems and moving on

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 11-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #5067
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=The Bigfella;22840858]
Quote:

I find Asia to be quite easy, open and friendly... but I've seen some who don't. Its all about the approach. Give the finger to the wrong guy and you can end up eating a lead sandwich. Say something even slightly downputting within earshot of an official... things will not go smoothly.

There are ways of dealing with these things, but if people even suspect that they will read about it on the 'net, you'll not even hear about how to manage it. Its best done on the ground there. You may not achieve the nirvana you seek... but you'll find that there's a way around just about everything.

Your chances of getting "your" bike into Vietnam are slim. It can be done... but the reality is, your chances are slim. You can get from Malaysia to Indonesia, but it might cost you $2,500 if you go about it the wrong way (I just posted some info to one of your rideasia.net threads about that). You might.... and on it goes.

What you CAN do is ride in Asia and have a lot of fun. I do, a lot of other guys I know do too. I've had some issues with "the system", but that's what adventure riding is all about... sussing it out, solving the problems and moving on
Very well put.
You Aussies have a knack at being cool. Maybe it is a combination of the hot sun and cold beer but I have to agree with you.

My personality is I want to figure it all out now.
I don't.want to waste my time while I am there doing my trip planning. But the reality of it all is I will most likely just figure it out along the way........go with the flow........like a good bloke from down under would.
And that is kind of what I have been doing all along in my RTW trup.
For Asia, I am just trying to gather as much info as I can before I head over and I only have a week left. I know there are a lot of people out there that are in the know, like yourself. I jyst want to hear from everyone so I am as ready as can be.
I dont want to waste any time bike shopping. I have whole countries to explore. I don't want to get caught up in some red tape when I can be ripping around some cool jungle trails or tropical beaches.

I hope we can meet up over there and share some stories over a cold one
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #5068
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Yes, I remember, but I failed to contact him
I will PM now
Thanks VS
Old 11-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #5069
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hanging out in Lima

As I have said before, Lima is cold. It is cold for about 9 or 10 months out of the year. Not the snow kind of cold, but the San Francisco kind of cold. There are always clouds and fog it seems.
But a couple of days ago, we woke up and saw something that we had not seen in quite a while........The Sun!
So we headed south to the beach.
Kathe has a friend there with a beach house where we spent the night

Old 11-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #5070
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was the first sunny day I have seen in the month and a half I have been here
In fact, I got sun burnt on the beach.
Kathe on the other hand never gets red.......she just tans

Closed Thread