User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #5431
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,435
G'day mate. Good to meet you last week. Pity we didn't get more time to chat... we headed off into the border territories just after you left. I'm a bit wary of the long neck tourist traps, but you seem to have got through OK. We ended up spending a fair bit of time criss-crossing the border after you left. I added up the crossings off the GPS and its 38 so far this month... for one stamp.

Watch out around the border areas... we had a few guys firing off shots the other day, down here.... mostly pistol fire though, so not too bad

Incidentally, Phil got a bit bogged

Let us know when you are headed back this way and we'll grab a beer

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #5432
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Laugh

[QUOTE=The Bigfella;23068002]G'day mate. Good to meet you last week. Pity we didn't get more time to chat... we headed off into the border territories just after you left. I'm a bit wary of the long neck tourist traps, but you seem to have got through OK. We ended up spending a fair bit of time criss-crossing the border after you left. I added up the crossings off the GPS and its 38 so far this month... for one stamp.

Watch out around the border areas... we had a few guys firing off shots the other day, down here.... mostly pistol fire though, so not too bad

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/igatenby/media/Thai%202013/IMG_6756_zps818f1e06.jpg.html][/U

Yes, i saw those pics on Phil's FB page
Amazing
Thanks for NOT inviting me along
I am getting myself in over my head trying to follow some of Phil's favorite routes
I plan to be back in Chiang Mai next May. Maybe we can share some stories over that beer.
Stay in touch

PS i am very surprised they let the bike and YOU on the same raft. I figured they would give you your own raft (or two)
Old 12-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #5433
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
So just a simple question here. Would you trade your BMW for the Honda to ride the world or is the BMW still your number one choice? Thanks for sharing with the rest of us as it has to be difficult to stay somewhat up to date.

Thanks
John
Old 12-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #5434
m&p products
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
When our phone rang at 4:45 AM Christmas morning I was sure it was you. Was great talking to you and hearing first hand some of your amazing stories. We all missed you and you missed some really good food and family time. Stay safe, have fun and keep up the great report. Your Family.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #5435
lqgsrider
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 347
Lalo,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #5436
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
I missed wishing you a Merry Christmas, so let me be the first (second?) to wish you a Happy New Year!
Been following you all along. Keep on ride'n and stay safe. Great thread.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #5437
Rodsbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
When you left South America I thought "well that will be the end of a good RR". Was I wrong!!!!! Europe and the wine was excellent plus 1000. No way you could improve on that, but again you have pulled more than a trump card with SE Asia. You are a narrator of note. Well done.

Has the political unrest had any effect on your travels so far?
Old 12-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #5438
Wimke1971
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hey Lalo,
Did you see some thai boxing there? It s the national sport there...
Stay safe and merry late x-mas from the beer family (must drink karmeliet soon)!!!
Have fun!
Old 12-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #5439
Golgarth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
wow, it's taken me 8 days and I feel like I have almost travelled with you.

Superb report and please keep it up (as no doubt you will).

Wishing you all the best from the UK, Merry Xmas and have a very Happy New Year!

ps. I would LOVE to have seen that Reticulated Python in the wild, such a cool find.

pps. That elephant pic should be on the front page!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #5440
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
So just a simple question here. Would you trade your BMW for the Honda to ride the world or is the BMW still your number one choice? Thanks for sharing with the rest of us as it has to be difficult to stay somewhat up to date.

Thanks
John
That's actually a great question and something that has been on my mind lately.
When i started out my trip, i wanted the best of everything. I didnt want to be second guessing myself. I bought the BMW because it was the best and has been a great bike.
But since buying the Honda, i have discovered a few things about the BMW that i don't like. But of course each is a trade off.
The weight of the BMW is the biggest issue. I have been having so much fun throwing this like bike around and taking it on some knarly trails that i wouldn't dare to venture out on on the BMW.
The other thing is the cost of the BMW. I worry about where i take it and where i leave it. With the Honda, if someone steals it, i am only out $3500. And that won't kill me.
Plus it is fun being less conspicuous
Pardon my spelling, i haven't figured out how to spell check on my new tablet yet and plus it gives my critics something to laugh about
Most people ove here are on 125 scooters. So even though my bike is twice as big, it doesn't scream out like the BMW would.
And maybe best of all, the Honda is engagging. What i mean is you can't be lazy riding it. You have to participate more riding the bike. You have to be mindful of what gear you are in and your cornering speed, especially going uphill.
But the BMW is great if you want to be lazy or you want to let he rip
In short, there is no perfect bike. But no matter what bike you choose, it will be a good one. And it sure as hell beats sitting behind a desk any day.
So, while it is cool to do a RTW trip all on one bike, maybe the perfect solution would be to have the best bike for each country you are in
The BMW was good for the Americas and Europe. And this Honda is good for Asia. But it has me thinking about what bike would be best for Africa.......now that is something to think about

flyingdutchman177 screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 07:01 PM
Old 12-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #5441
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&p products View Post
When our phone rang at 4:45 AM Christmas morning I was sure it was you. Was great talking to you and hearing first hand some of your amazing stories. We all missed you and you missed some really good food and family time. Stay safe, have fun and keep up the great report. Your Family.
Yes, strange about the time zone thing. My Christmas almost over and i was heading to sleep and yours was just beginning. But i figured you would be up getting all that yummy food ready for the fest latter that day........and oh, i miss that.
Truth be told, i am getting a little tired of Thai food. I need a little more meat in my diet. And the meat they put in the food here is from who knows where and what parts of the animal it came from.
Hopefully next time i am in town, you can treat me to some good cookin'
And of course, i will bring the wine, even though, you know who will be drinking most of it
Old 12-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #5442
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsbike View Post
When you left South America I thought "well that will be the end of a good RR". Was I wrong!!!!! Europe and the wine was excellent plus 1000. No way you could improve on that, but again you have pulled more than a trump card with SE Asia. You are a narrator of note. Well done.

Has the political unrest had any effect on your travels so far?
What political unrest?????
I think the only political unrest that you see traveling is on the news.
I was in Bangkok yesterday and the protestors were only 4 miles from where i was at. For the rest of the city and the rest of the world, it is business as usual. Everyone else is just going about their daily lives doing what is needed to put food on the table.
I think even if i traveled thru Syria or Central Africa, i wouldn't see any rebels, just people going about their normal day. And even if i did meet up with the rebel forces, what would they care about some guy riding a motorcycle. If anything, i bet they would give me a smile and a thumbs up
Old 12-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #5443
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimke1971 View Post
Hey Lalo,
Did you see some thai boxing there? It s the national sport there...
Stay safe and merry late x-mas from the beer family (must drink karmeliet soon)!!!
Have fun!
Yes, but just on tv
It is everywhere here
Even the royal family shows up
It looks so violent but they enbrace each other after every round so it is just a sport for most.

And yes, everyone, try the Karmeliet.
It is amazing
Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #5444
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
When i started out my trip, i wanted the best of everything. I didnt want to be second guessing myself. I bought the BMW because it was the best and has been a great bike.
But since buying the Honda, i have discovered a few things about the BMW that i don't like. But of course each is a trade off.
I imagine a good number of your readers find themselves in my situation - we can't afford "the best of everything". That doesn't mean just skid by with whatever is cheap. For myself it's a case of doing a LOT of research, reading reviews and buying the best items for my money that have enough capacity/capability to meet my expected needs (plus a little surplus). I had to save up a while to get my Exped Downmat and Dreamwalker bag - yeah, they are costly, but they have totally met or surpassed my expectations.

Its very refreshing to read the familiar comment of "there is no best bike" from a world traveler as yourself. As you wrote - "There are always trade-offs".

It was interesting to note your height issue. As a short man in America I've thought humorously about traveling to parts of the world were I might find myself of average height, or even on the tall side. That would be a fun and different experience for me - "Ah, furniture that actually fits me"! LOL! Ah well, for the riding I do my stature also steers me away from larger/taller (more expensive) bikes. More money for other things!

Have really loved your photos of the mountainous regions in Thailand. I had no idea there where landscapes like that in Thailand. Friends and relatives who have gone there have all pretty much stayed around Bangkok and the resort beaches. The mountains remind me a lot of the mountains in SW Oregon.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #5445
Deamon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Awsome Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
This is my 200th page
Cowabunga dude!
Hi Bro,
Awsome Trip. Just managed to reached to 200th page and I can see more 100 to go but I am sure The rate at which I am reading and people are posted there would 50 more to catch to for me ;)

Gos speed bro!
Closed Thread