Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #661
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,444
Leaving behind Mexico City

I was glad to get thru Mexico City. I took rge toll roads all the way to Veracruz. It was costly, but worth it. I passed by the tallest mountain - volcano in Mexico. It is over 18,000 feet. One day I want to come back to climb it. But not on this trip. I just didn't have the time.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #662
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Once I got to Veracruz, I knew it wasn't for me.......lots of traffic, people, fancy resorts with 5 dollar beers.
So I headed south. I was looking for a place to camp on the beach. It was getting dark and I didn't think I would find one. I saw a sign that said.........Costa Azul. I thought that sounded nice so I followed it...........and followed it.........and followed it! When I got there, I was deep in a remote part of the Mexican Gulf coast. No tourists. No resorts. Not even a gas station for miles and I needed gas. The roads were narrow and full of pot holes. It was deep in the jungle.
I found a guy that had some cabanas to rent on the beach. He charged me $5 a night to camp there. Here's the beach

Old 12-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #663
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I left my little $20 a night hotel near the pyramids and made my way to the Gulf Coast. And unlike the day before, I had no problems finding my way towards Veracruz. I took the toll road most of the way. I hate paying to use the road when there a free road that goes the same way. But if I took the free road, it would have taken 3 times as long because of all the little towns, speed bumps, and traffic. The toll roads are kind of expensive and they really start to add up. But one nice thing is motorcycle go at half the fare of a car. And seems fair to me. Have you ever been somewhere like a national park and you get charged the same price as the family of 7 in their mega SUV? I hate that!
After my experience with going thru Mexico City, I wanted no part of going thru Veracruz. Plus the town had nothing to offer me. With its $200+ a night hotels and $5 beers, I turned and headed south away from the City.
My first surprise was that the Gulf Coast water wasn’t as pretty as I hoped. And second, I couldn’t find any little beach spots with places to stay for $20 like I did on the Pacific Coast side.
I was hoping to find a beach camp early and go for a swim but I kept riding.
I saw a sign in a remote area that said to turn left and head down 8 miles to the beach. I took this road and within the first mile it turned to dirt. And the closer I got to the ocean, the more sandy it became. It turned to 2 tracks with a big sand hump in the middle. I almost dumped my bike and thought about turning around. But I looked at my GPS and I was so close to the water so I continued. I got to another sandy spot and had a big moment and made up my mind to turn around. I figured if it was that sandy there, it was probably all sand right up to the beach.
It was starting to get dark at this point. I followed a sign to Costa de Oro. I figured with a name like that, the beach couldn’t be too bad. I found a guy that rents cabanas on the beach. He charged me $4 to camp there. He had cold beer and fresh shrimp too. I was set. It was a good ending to the day even though I didn’t get a chance to take a dip in the ocean that day.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 AM   #664
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

deep sand

I have to be careful I don't get to close to the beach with my big bike. I really had to roast to get off the beach here

Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #665
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

If you are looking to get away from the crowds around Veracruz, then I would recommend heading south to Monte Pio. It was not even on my GPS. But there is a loop road that heads out there with lots of secluded beaches like this one that you can have all to yourself. And each beach has someone there that will cook you up dinner and serve you cold beers.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #666
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

From Monte Pio, I rode pretty much the whole next day trying to get to The Isle of Carmen (not to be confused with Playa del Carmen on the Carribean side). I figured that there would be some nice beaches there to camp and swim on. It seems like everytime I expect to find something, I am proven that I can't predict anything. The road hugs the coast. And yes, the whole way is white sandy beach. But it is either undeveloped or privately owned. There were lots of cabanas on the beach for rent, but they were fenced off and you had to call in advance to reserve the private beach. I was looking for a beach with a restaurant. There were two but they were both abandoned. So I back-tracked to the nearest town, bought some beer and some fish and headed back to the one abandoned restaurants on the beach to camp. No sooner than I arrived, a lady comes up and wants 200 pesos for me to camp there. After riding all ficken day, I was hungry and tired...............and I didn't want to pay 200 pesos to camp there!. My Spanish must be getting better as I got the fee down to 50 pesos which seems to be the going rate in Mexico.
So I ate my fish, drank my beers and had a nice swim in the morning.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #667
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

After putting in 2 full days on the bike, I decided to slow the pace down and stop and enjoy the beaches along the way. Here I found a restaurant on the water where I had some fresh shrimp for lunch

Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #668
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

For the last 2 days, I got to these amazing beach camps too late in the evening to take a swim. So this day, I was determined to find a spot on the water that I could relax for a couple of hours before the sun sat. And here is the spot that I found. It didn't have a beach, but it had a sandy bottom and warm water to swim in. Plus it had a cabana to shade me and my bike. It is still in the Gulf of Mexico so the water is not crystal clear, but it was still nice

Old 12-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #669
xuebao
Friends,I come from China

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchman177 View Post
After putting in 2 full days on the bike, I decided to slow the pace down and stop and enjoy the beaches along the way. Here I found a restaurant on the water where I had some fresh shrimp for lunch

have you been China ? I live in XI'AN city ,if you need some help .emill me jiaojianchina@gmail.com
Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #670
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Again, I had the whole place to myself. I was happy at this point. Later that night, it got really windy. I was beginning to wonder about the guy that built this cabana and if he did a good job or not. I went to sleep and about mid-night it began to rain. It was coming down hard and I didn't have my tent fly on. I got out of the tent to put it on in the dark. The rain was coming in thru a hole in the top of the cabana. Everythink got soaked in the 2 minutes it took to put the fly on. On the bight side, the rain only lasted an hour or so, it wasn't that cold and everything was dry by morning

Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #671
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is the sunset that night before the storm came in

Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #672
Bynoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Underground river tourist place

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaguy View Post
Don't remember exactly where, but not too far from Cancun is a resort with an underground river, we floated down it. Pretty awesome.
I think you may be talking about Xcaret.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 AM   #673
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Edzna

The next morning it was cool and cloudy. I haven't seen clouds in a while and it was a welcome relief from the heat.
I set out on some back roads to see some of the Mayan ruins. It just so happens that it was the day the earth was going to come to an end as predicted by the Mayans. It was 12/21/12. And I was right there in the heart of it all. If it was going to end, I would be the first to see it end. All the stars were alined and pointing right on to my location.
My first stop was the Ruins of Edzna

Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #674
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

These were some of the most impressive ruins I have seen so far. I got there early and there were just a few people there. Plus this one was off the beaten path and over-looked by the tourist buses. Plus not everything had been restored so you kind of felt like you were discovering it fr yourself. You are walking thru the jungle and then the massive ruins appear before you. Amazing stuff

Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #675
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Closed Thread