flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,197

flyingdutchman177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #770
TomatoCan
Oh my goodness me.

Oddometer: 29
I have been sick in bed with the flu since Christmas. Today has been the first day I've been able to sit up and have spent most of the afternoon reading your RR. (And all the shots of food have got my appetite back too!) Thanks for all the hard work--totally inspired!
TomatoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #771
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Belize

I made it to Belize.
The border crossing was pretty easy.
I first stopped on the Mexico side and got my $400 deposit back and my passport stamped "out"
Then I entered Belize and bought my manatory insurance. A week's insurance cost me $15. I didn't buy insurance in Mexico. I am not sure what the rules are in Mexico but I have never bought it before. I kind of figured that if I got in to an accident with someone else, having insurance would be the least of my worries. But here in Belize, if you get pulled over w/o insurance, you go to jail. At least that is what they told me.
Then I paid $4 to have my bike fumigated. Not sure what that is about, but it needed to be done. Then got my passport stamped for 30 days even though I am planning to be here a week or less. I got a special driving permit that allows me to go anywhere in the country. It was at no cost. And after all that......90 minutes later, I was on my way south. Right now, I am in a little town called Sarteneja on the Caribbean coast. I am staying at a camp with Cabanas. I camping in my tent here.
It is kind of raining out side. But I am in the restaurant staying dry. I just finsihed dinner. It was chicken and rice.
Belize is very different than its neighbor Mexico to the north. It is more like Jamaica than Mexico. The people seem friendly here. There is a lot of Creole influance here
The one thing I have noticed so far is there are less cars and the roads are MUCH worst. This road out to Sarteneja is bad! There are potholes and ruts so big that they will make you crash if you are not careful.
But the beer is good. I hope you like Belikin, because that is all they have. But they have two different kinds of stout so I am happy. And right now, I am on my fourth beer so I am pretty "happy". But the beers are only 284 ML. I think that is only 9 ounces. So 4 is kind of like 3. At least that is my excuse!
Ha!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #772
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Glad you are feeling better
I had the flu about 2 months ago.
It was bad
I thought about it at the time if I got the flu like that while I was on the road.
It would have been horrible.
I was in a comfortable bed with my GF talking care of me.
If I would have been in my tent in the tropics,I would be wishing I was dead.
I hope I don't get sick on this trip.
I have to be careful what I eat.
There is a big chance of getting food poisening here while traveling......especially since I like eating off the taco stand carts. They just don't refrigerated their food like we do in the States.
I have got a bit of the runs but so far so good.
I think my body is getting used to it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoCan View Post
I have been sick in bed with the flu since Christmas. Today has been the first day I've been able to sit up and have spent most of the afternoon reading your RR. (And all the shots of food have got my appetite back too!) Thanks for all the hard work--totally inspired!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #773
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

That is the biggest complement that I could ever receive.
Thank you
It is much appreciated!!!!
It is going to get more epic from here I hope.......I am in uncharted territory from here on out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coots View Post
Ed,

I mean, I hold your RR right up there with the likes of RTWDoug, tsiklonaut, Radioman, Colebatch and the likes.

All RR are good because each is it's own story told by the person who wrote it and some RR are great and then there are the EPIC ones. Yours my friend is in the EPIC catagory. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Safe travels...
Shane
Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #774
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Video

CLICK ON THE PICTURE BELOW TO WATCH THE VIDEO
It is my beach camp spot (where I got stuck in the sand) on Christmas Eve
It is also where I spent the night and spent Christmas morning

Old 12-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #775
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

More Videos

Click on the picture below to watch the VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a shot of Lake Bacalar

Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #776
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Swimming in a Cenote

CLICK ON THE PICTURE BELOW
It's swimming in a cenote

Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #777
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Beach camp

It shows the beach camp I had in the Yucatan

Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #778
flyingdutchman177 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Edzna

I am at the Edzna Mayan ruins on 12/21/12 at the exact moment the world was supposed to come to an end.
Actually, that is the story you would hear on Fox news.
The real event was a transfer of power
All the stars were alined, as predicted by the Mayans a 1000 years ago on that day.
A new age was going to begin and there was supposed to be a big power shift.
Actually, I didn't feel anything but could it be just a coincidence that I was there on that day and the exact time the power was going to shift?
We shall see

Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #779
MotoGypsy
Get rolling

Oddometer: 25
happy holidays

Hi Ed,
Enjoying your road report! That water looks damn inviting! I'm freezing my ass off up here in Seattle. I've done some solo long distance riding and know that it can be challenging at times when your away from home for long periods of time. Your doing great! A quick question, are you going to ride through Columbia? I've been told its a little safer but that could be a relative thing. Stay safe and have fun!
Steve
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #780
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
Hey Ed

I'm still along. Its great to see your progress and the places you travel. Its particularly welcome as its snowy and about 10 F right now. Not complaining, I prefer being cool, as I can dress for it, compared to being too hot, which I am told I can not undress enough for...and not end up in trouble. One of the things I am discovering from your and other ride reports is that in CA - apparently one can adjust temperature by changing elevation..nice! (Yeah, it happens everywhere, but not as dependably it seems...)

Its also VERY satisfying to hear first hand reports from some of these places, when there is so much negative rumor and innuendo from people who are NOT traveling. Its pretty sad when it comes to light that some people's comfort zone is living with such a level of fear and ignorance.

I just appreciate the time and effort it takes to A, take the pics, B, write out and document your experiences, and C, upload them to share them. Much appreciated.

Hoping you have a great New Year to come!
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote