Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Quikegeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Wink The REAL trip planning begins..

Hi all,

Well, that's it.. I am not really sure about the timing yet, but I am pretty sure it will be around first week of December. I was quite upset, trying not to think or plan too much until I have the exact dates of the trip , but then I realized it is going to happen, in early Dec or early Jan, so.. why wait? there's a loooot of preparation to do, lots of research and I think also the planning is a great part of the trip it self.

So, I am planning to design a detail route I will follow (or try to..) I am not one of those guys that need to have EVERYTHING prepared.. but I want to have at least an idea of the route and the places I MOST see.

I'll be short of time, since I only have around 25 days to do the whole distance (around 8000km).

Let's start from the begining..

From San Jose, CR to Panamá, we'll will go via Rio Sereno. My ADV friend "Chiriqui Charlie", have been telling me this is a great route, and we'll be able to save few hours making line in Paso Canoas Border. We'll make this in two days, first day probably will make it to David, and the next day to Panama City. For this "stage" of the trip, my brother Xavi (Quimexa) and my friends Max and Franco will come with me. I really appreciate it!

This is the route on google earth.

Quikegeo screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 11:28 AM
Quikegeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
Quikegeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Ready to go!

Hi all,

Well.. after several threats of failure, the trip is set up already!

I am leaving Costa Rica on December 14th, to be in Panamá city on December 15th. GIRAG will ship my bike to Bogotá the next day (Dec 16th).

The plan is to ride from Bogotá on Dec 17th and go towards south till Dec 24th when I will meet my girlfriend on christmas eve at Lima, Peru. We'll drive for a week or so to Cusco and then Arequipa, where I will store my bike for two months. Then I will continue to the south in late febrary untill get to Santiago. I will have two weeks to make the second part of the trip so I am planning to visit some places in the altiplano.

Looking to meet some riders along the trip!

My bike is almost ready, since I am not in CR ( I moved to Chile a couple of months ago) I will have two days before I departure in Dec to work on it. I will buy a rear tyre (Metzeler tourance?), brake pads, and some repairs.

There is something you guys recomend me to carry or do to my byke before I leave CR??

PURA VIDA!

Quikegeo screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 02:28 PM
Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 533
You picked a great date to start your trip out of Bogotá--December 17th is my birthday!

I plan to be in Santiago for the Dakar finish on January 20-21, and then will be riding south from there. Let's keep in touch and maybe I'll meet you on my way back north!

¡Cuidate amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikegeo View Post
Hi all,

Well.. after several threats of failure, the trip is set up already!

I am leaving Costa Rica on December 14th, to be in Panamá city on December 15th. GIRAG will ship my bike to Bogotá the next day (Dec 16th).

The plan is to ride from Bogotá on Dec 17th and go towards south till Dec 24th when I will meet my girlfriend on christmas eve at Lima, Peru. We'll drive for a week or so to Cusco and then Arequipa, where I will store my bike for two months. Then I will continue to the south in late febrary untill get to Santiago. I will have two weeks to make the second part of the trip so I am planning to visit some places in the altiplano.

Looking to meet some riders along the trip!

My bike is almost ready, since I am not in CR ( I moved to Chile a couple of months ago) I will have two days before I departure in Dec to work on it. I will buy a rear tyre (Metzeler tourance?), brake pads, and some repairs.

There is something you guys recomend me to carry or do to my byke before I leave CR??

PURA VIDA!

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Quikegeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
You picked a great date to start your trip out of Bogotá--December 17th is my birthday!

I plan to be in Santiago for the Dakar finish on January 20-21, and then will be riding south from there. Let's keep in touch and maybe I'll meet you on my way back north!

¡Cuidate amigo!
Haha, thanks Michael!

Hopefully we'll meet in Chile!

I CAN'T WAIT TO PICK UP MY BIKE AND BEGIN THE TRIP!
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Quikegeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Three weeks left!

Hi all,

Only three weeks left!!

I have pretty much everything ready, plane tickets, hotel reservations and the bike is almost ready. Just to buy a rear tire and that's it.

I have divided the trip in 4 stages..

1. COSTA RICA-PANAMA ( 2 DAYS-834Km)
Maybe this is the most important part of the trip, cause I need to be in Panama City by Dec 15th... The bike need to be in Girag one day before GIRAG send it to Bogota on 16th. My brother (QUIMEXA) and my friend Max and Franco will come with me this part of the trip.

2.BOGOTA-PERU (7 DAYS- 3175Km)
I will do this solo. My first contact with SA riding my bike! The timing is pretty tight, but I think is doable, I only have one spare day. I will meet my girlfriend in Lima, where the stage 3 begins... :)

3.LIMA-AREQUIPA ( 9 DAYS-1555Km)
The relax stage.. We'll go to Machu Picchu, Cusco, Arequipa.. ride and take easy. Pretty much vacation time!

4.AREQUIPA-SANTIAGO (8 DAYS- 3085Km)
The final stage. Atacama desert! I will go to San Pedro de Atacama and ride to the Altiplano Lakes.

So what do you think?? I cant wait to start the trip!!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
Quikegeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is my equipment list so far... suggestions?

Gear
Rev’it Sand Pants
Rev’it Hi-Vi Jacket
Rev’it Sand gloves
Alpinestars Summer gloves
BMW Allround winter gloves
BMW Allround boots
Airoh Pit one fullface helmet
GoPro HD helmet camera + mounts accessories
Garmin GPS Map 76CSX
North face base layer shirt
Base layer pants