Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Great shots! Didn't know Alice's was open at night. Might have to check it out
wjpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #197
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
For all of you that took a moment to reply, thanks, it make this thread feel more like a conversation instead of a speech. Glad to know you guys are getting something out of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I got a few like that probably from a similar spot.

Simple point and shoot a few years ago...
Those are all nice ride photos, but the first one is really spectacular, makes me want to hang out awhile . The fact that you took them with a P&S just shows that it is far more about being in the right place/time. The conditions for that shot are about perfect. That and MOST important you stopped to enjoy that moment.

Windy Hill? Your shot by the fence looks like the same spot I stopped. While I was getting these last shots a number a cagers pulled in at the last moment to look and as soon as the sun was gone they were all in a hurry to leave. Fine by me, I like the solitude, but I find it funny because they miss some of the best colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
If you like taking photos.. pick a good time and head for Sinkyone Wilderness State park.
Hadn't even heard of that so I had to Google. Looks like another destination for me now.

I used to ride the north coast a lot. Not so much anymore and I've really been thinking I need to get back up there to capture some of the spots I found amazing. This year was a bit hectic for me and I put off some ideas, at the same time I kick myself thinking I just wasted to many opportunities that I'll never get back.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #198
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjpjump View Post
Great shots! Didn't know Alice's was open at night. Might have to check it out
http://www.alicesrestaurant.com/

Looks like 9PM every night. Will add that to my travel information.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #199
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
For all of you that took a moment to reply, thanks, it make this thread feel more like a conversation instead of a speech. Glad to know you guys are getting something out of this.

I used to ride the north coast a lot. Not so much anymore and I've really been thinking I need to get back up there to capture some of the spots I found amazing. This year was a bit hectic for me and I put off some ideas, at the same time I kick myself thinking I just wasted to many opportunities that I'll never get back.
http://goo.gl/maps/QmunM
Usal Road is in Sinyone Wilderness State Park. Friends tell me how good and tough Usal Road is. Have wanted to ride it for the last 5 years. Have missed a few group rides. Won't ride it alone especially with a 600 pound blue whale. I am trying to get back to that area one more time before the cold and wet.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #200
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,303
It's Skyline right where CHP used to hang a lot. I've got a couple more that are really neat from there too. The other one is Alpine I think.

I was taught a long time ago that it's not necessarily having the best equipment all the time- it's actually having your camera, and having it in reach to use it.

A couple of my best sunset shots ever were with a first gen iPhone.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #201
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,903
>"Friends tell me how good and tough Usal Road is."

After grading... Usal is just a dirt road.
It used to be pretty er... I guess rutty in some locations.
It's dusty in the summer and is now closed in winter.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #202
pockomoth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Well Hi, I'm Dave, now you know me.

Yeah, I love that photo with the Triumph rider. I had already framed the scene wishing someone was there to get a photo of me riding through it when I heard his bike coming. I couldn't predict the look on his face, which is what makes the scene so special. Nothing like sharing a moment with a passing stranger on a chilly mountain top.
Honestly, I thought it was Peter Egan...
pockomoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #203
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

More Mountains 'N Crap

Now that my "riding season" is in full swing I intend to take every opportunity to enjoy the high country until the snow closes most of it for months. This also means more updates to this thread regularly

Last weekend was an another example of perfect riding. Snow had the passes closed for a few days and then re-opened for the weekend. Any of you locals thinking about it, go do it now! A little cool in the morning for certain, but by mid day temps were mild. I counted a total of 4 other motorcycles on two Sierra passes and so few cars that I made it over Tioga without having to pass any. Heck, actually let one car pass me (very rare) as the scenery was so wonderful I wanted to look around, and he was on a mission for something. Heading towards the Eastern Sierras but had to stop for a minute here as the early sun was coming over the hills...

I did have some tourists pull over and join me. If you're going to walk into my photo I'm going to make you part of it!

Shared a few miles with these guys on Tioga Rd. Stopped for a few minutes for a quick High Country B.S. session. Always interested in what others are doing on the road, they were passing through from Oregon , heading somewhere warmer (not here).

On the East side I planned to check out a dirt road I'd been passing for years, but looking back into the hills the area around Lundy lake looked so inviting that the bike just turned left by itself I think. I was just along for the ride. I hadn't seen it with this much snow, so it was a new experience for me.

Once again I was living in a postcard.

Rode up to the Beaver ponds for lunch. Yours truly claiming this pond as mine for a day.

Looked for Beaver, but couldn't find any. (often a familiar story for me)

The detail in the rocks sometimes catches my eye, like this one did.

About right now I'm wondering why I talked myself into putting on Tourances instead of replacing the K60s. No hero sections here, or even off road but a bit of frozen dirt to make it to the ponds. The tires felt like slicks in the mud between the ice, which was fine , and the parts where I had to roll on ice was o.k. to, as I was ready for it. However the frozen mud took me by surprise and gave me an adrenaline rush for the day.

As much as I love it this time of year, the days are just to darn short. Of course I can watch sunset a bit further away from home and still get back at a decent hour. I still didn't leave until an hour after sunset though....

Old 11-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #204
Serbchaser
Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer: 283
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Thanks for the time and effort.
Serbchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #205
dexmus
n00b

Oddometer: 3
amazing photography

Found this thread today. This is the most beautiful photography or motorcycle or roadtrip or nature documentary I have ever seen.

Great job and thanks for sharing!

cheers,

Abhi
dexmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #206
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Good stuff, looking forward to more.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #207
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbchaser View Post
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Thanks for the time and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
Good stuff, looking forward to more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexmus View Post
Found this thread today. This is the most beautiful photography or motorcycle or roadtrip or nature documentary I have ever seen.

EVER? Thanks man, but that's a big word (glad you're enjoying it)

Old 11-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #208
B3EAR
Sheepdog

Oddometer: 127
Wow! I'm in the same boat, just discovered this thread and devoured it all in one sitting. Then... I came back and emailed a link to my best friend back in North Carolina who also owns a SuperTen. The more jealous I make him of the beautiful west coast the better! Absolutely gorgeous pictures and great commentary. Thank you for sharing. This thread will be checked on a daily basis. Inspiring....
B3EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #209
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,578
Quote:

Looked for Beaver, but couldn't find any. (often a familiar story for me)

[/IMG]
just show the "beavers" the pics you are taking and you should not have a problem....

Cuttle screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 08:24 PM
Cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #210
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3EAR View Post
Wow! I'm in the same boat, just discovered this thread and devoured it all in one sitting. Then... I came back and emailed a link to my best friend back in North Carolina who also owns a SuperTen. The more jealous I make him of the beautiful west coast the better! Absolutely gorgeous pictures and great commentary. Thank you for sharing. This thread will be checked on a daily basis. Inspiring....
Man that's at least a two beer read!

I've directed a few non riding friends to this thread as well when I have a hard time explaining why the riding out here is so good. Usually they get the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
just show the "beavers" the pics you are taking and you should not have a problem....

Funny but I would have thought those years of racing fast motorcycles would have worked for that, but it never seemed to pan out all that well. Then I take a few sunset and flower pictures and you're right, it does do something for them