Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #211
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,667
It was time to survey the damage from the Rim Fire.

For those who may not know the Rim Fire was one of the worst forest fires in California's history and burned National Forest and into Yosemite National park. Any of you locals probably watched the news like I did (or were maybe in it!) and saw familiar places going up in smoke. Some of my favorite dualsporting was in the burn area, but long before that the area was a favorite of mine for midnight camping spots and crazy campfire hooliganism. Go back even further than that, I did my first backpacking trip with my father in those hills. So I feel somewhat connected to the place.

While the fire was burning I wanted nothing more than to be there and capture the moment, but in reality I probably would have been in the way and with my zeal for getting closer I'd probably have been in trouble at some point. So my one and ONLY photo of the Rim fire burning was actually from about 150 miles away, from the east side of Mt. Hamilton. I stopped to look at the huge pyrocumulous cloud (best new word I learned last year!) and wonder what the chaos was like in the middle of that.

I've briefly passed through on the main highway recently and had a peak at the changed landscape, but this day was about getting in the middle of it, take some time and really look around. Most of the National Forest in just straight up closed, which means my dirt roads are out of the question, and a number of paved roads are inaccessible still, but the route to Hetch Hetchy is wide open so that's where I'll explore.

Currently one of the best vantage points for an overview is right from the main highway outside Buck Meadows.

Evergreen road was not as bad as I was afraid it would be.

Some parts are relatively untouched, others seem moderately burned, introducing a new kind of beauty all it's own.

Other parts are like standing burnt matchsticks.

If you read these two signs together it seems it would be o.k. to go in on a motorcycle right?? I just had to get in a little deeper.

The road to Hetch Hetchy had some devastated spots, but only in spots. Of course a lot of that was a moonscape to begin with and the charred remains add an eerie character to the place.

I know this is a cliche photo, but I thought I'd have to wait until spring to do some of these. First snow/rains with a little sunshine were enough for these guys to compete for the best spots.

Speaking of life at the edge of the fire....ran into this fella.

Right about now I wish I had my 500mm lens with me, as I probably got closer than I should have to get this shot, but that's the adventure right?
We had a few staring contests I'll never forget. Making eye contact with one of these guys in it's home turf is always a bit of a thrill. But then, that's why I keep going back.

Back out on Evergreen Rd I had to stop for a minute at an area lightly touched by the fire and left as I remembered for decades. I'll be back to photograph as the seasons change and more areas become accessible, so there WILL be updates.

Again the spontaneity of the road. As the shadows get longer I start thinking of home.....or why not take a quick spin up to Glacier Pt for sunset? Going to be a large moon tonight and it'll be taking over about when the sun drops so why not have a look? ( I love that I have places like this to just swing by)

The High Sierra is always doing something interesting.

Just chilling waiting for the show to start....and it does

A few big rocks around here to look at to

With temps dropping quick after sunset I think a nocturnal spin around the valley floor is in order. Ever see the moon rise twice in one day? It comes up a lot later in the valley.

I've been here more than a few times with a full moon and it still seems surreal each time. You really don't need lights, everything glows. If haven't done it.....do it!

Last stop for the evening, once again a familiar view that is always different.

A few hours after sunset and time to roll. Did I mention that when I woke up this morning I felt a cold coming on? Here I was hours to ride until home, temps already in the 30s and I've got a sore throat/runny nose getting worse by the minute......AND I still wouldn't rather be anywhere else than right there, enjoying the moment.

Desert Dave screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 06:30 PM
Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #212
thegreyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Brilliant pics. I hope you get paid for them- I think they are that good!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #213
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
Brilliant pics. I hope you get paid for them- I think they are that good!

Well if you'd like to send me a check or I can give you my Paypal

Glad you're diggin it, and no I don't get paid. At this point in my photography I'm just glad others enjoy it to.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #214
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 755
Very good camera, excellent photographer, great subject. Like the full moon moon ride, twice.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #215
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Really like your threa and all of really cool photo's. Not that I like fire, but you've taken some nice photo's of the fire area's.

I found this one to be cute! Proceed with caution

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #216
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,018
love the new set!

you should go back to the burned area every year and "document" the progress....
Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #217
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Not that I like fire, but you've taken some nice photo's of the fire area's.
Yeah, I don't think anybodys happy that it burned, at least not the way that it did. But it sure did offer some powerful views. Even the areas destroyed are worth enjoying, for the same reason we ride Death Valley and other desolate areas. There is actually one road, that is closed at the moment, that I've always thought would have insane views if the trees were gone. From what I understand I'll get a chance to see that now. There's positive in everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
you should go back to the burned area every year and "document" the progress....

That's the plan. I ride that area a LOT during winter as it's relatively low in elevation and can usually be accessed all year, except in the middle of a storm or really icy conditions. Not to mention is pretty close to home so short daylight hours make it an easy ride...then again you've seen daylight isn't really a requirement for me

Old 11-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #218
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Fantastic nighttime pics of Yosemite!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #219
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,539
Beautiful photos. Burn areas are interesting and have a beauty of their own. The moon sitting on the mountain if fabulous and I love the bear.

Keep the good stuff coming.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #220
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
As always Dave, great pictures and thanks for sharing.
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #221
Donsesso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Greetings Dave.. long time lurker and I finally got an adventure bike last July (GS LC). Rides and scenes that you posted are the exact reason I decided to leave the sportsbike world. Seems like I was always in a rush to get to the next road.

I currently live in the east SF bay area. And I'm plotting most of the roads and places you mentioned in your thread. Hoping I'll be able to visit all of them.

Great stuff. And thanks for doing this.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
Donsesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #222
pockomoth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Wow, amazing shot...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
pockomoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #223
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
The moon sitting on the mountain if fabulous and I love the bear.
Had a chance to sift through some photos, so here'[s a few more of the ferocious bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
As always Dave, great pictures and thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsesso View Post
Greetings Dave.. long time lurker and I finally got an adventure bike last July (GS LC). Rides and scenes that you posted are the exact reason I decided to leave the sportsbike world. Seems like I was always in a rush to get to the next road.

I currently live in the east SF bay area. And I'm plotting most of the roads and places you mentioned in your thread. Hoping I'll be able to visit all of them.

Great stuff. And thanks for doing this.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
Thanks for saying all the nice stuff people...now I really wish I had some more ride photos to post! But I don't at the moment.

What the heck, since this is turning into a photography thread as much as riding, I'll share a shot I took over Thanksgiving weekend that IMO tells a story. I've been dabbling in this type of photography and now and then one just works

This was a candid shot, I walked up from a river bank and saw these two enjoying the moment at sunset. So genuine.

If this doesn't make you smile a little, you are way more hard core than I am

Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #224
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,539
That bear is so cool. Bear are fun to watch.

The last picture made me smile big, what a cool shot.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #225
pockomoth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I've been right there, you can walk right up to the mountain and LEAN on it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
pockomoth is offline   Reply With Quote