Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #316
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
BTW, what are your thoughts on the S10. I have a GSA that I like but this bike intrigues me.
I could write pages of details, but long story short, right now I've found it's the best bike for the kind of riding I do. The compromises are in the right places for the most part.

I'd be the wrong guy to do a GSA comparison as I haven't ridden anything to modern. I'd really like to test ride one of the new water-cooled GSs' at some point and see what I think.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #317
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Of course the roads getting up the hill are what it's all about.
Hm... Kings Mtn?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #318
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
Hm... Kings Mtn?
Yup.

One of my favorites, I make sure to always get that in the loop if I'm in the area. My first motorcycle ride EVER was on a Trail 90 on that road, so I feel I have a bit of personal history there as well.

Rides like last weekend really remind me of the old days, when I can run the length of that road without having a car (or bike) hold me up.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #319
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
so awesome. I am very excited to ride out there. A buddy is getting married in Granite Bay and I am taking 2 weeka to ride. Keep up the great photos! I will definitely do a ride report.

Go ride the willow creek and salmon river area roads for me.
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/

Geology Rocks screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 03:39 PM
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #320
BigDogRaven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
GREAT STUFF DAVE !!!!!!

Keep em coming.

Good of you to share our backyard so brilliantly

04 YAMAHA FJR1300A
09 YAMAHA FJR1300A-The Raven
BigDogRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #321
rongsx1100g
n00b

Oddometer: 6
wow

I really enjoy your photos, Thank You.
rongsx1100g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #322
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Amazing animal pics. Great thread. Very inspirational. Thanks!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #323
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 749
Bobcat! I was at The Junction today and started talking to a woman with a camera. Her name is Denise Wight and she started showing me some pictures and one of them was a bobcat. Her main stay is birds denisewightbirds.com .

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #324
HoJoOkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Wonderful!

I swear, when I see you posting I know I'm in for a good ride. That's because you have a special gift in seeing and photographing. Please show us more this spring. I'm wondering how the drought will change the park. I'd love to visit sometime.

O, by the way, your photo's are so clear and sharp are using anything special like a tripod or what?
HoJoOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #325
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Thanks again for all the responses guys, it's like having you along for the ride! Well, sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Bobcat! I was at The Junction today and started talking to a woman with a camera. Her name is Denise Wight and she started showing me some pictures and one of them was a bobcat. Her main stay is birds denisewightbirds.com .
How do ya like the new food out there? Pretty big step up I think

Well now you have proof I'm not just photoshopping these animals My very unscientific analysis is the Bobcats are on the rise in population, as I've been seeing far more lately, I just rarely get a long enough chance to get a good shot, or it's so far away it barely shows in the photo. I'd imagine the birders out there see quite a few.

One thing you have to watch for with the bird people SOME of them think it's o.k. to stop wherever they are and get out of their car if they see something rare. More than once I've come around a blind corner in the one lane sections to have a parked car right ion the middle of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJoOkie View Post
Wonderful!

I swear, when I see you posting I know I'm in for a good ride. That's because you have a special gift in seeing and photographing. Please show us more this spring. I'm wondering how the drought will change the park. I'd love to visit sometime.

O, by the way, your photo's are so clear and sharp are using anything special like a tripod or what?
I do use a tripod for anything low light or long exposure on water (and of course the night photos) but most of my shots are handheld. With image stabilization I don't think it's required as much. Some purists will disagree, but often they are looking at details with a microscope at much larger sizes than I find necessary.

I don't think I'm using anything special, but here's a quick insight I've noticed. With digital photography going past a hobby and almost a everyday part of life with smartphones, Facebook and such we are getting used to looking at photos everywhere that were taken on the run , without much thought (usually with one hand) that are often out of focus and blurred. I think when someone these days takes a moment to practice basic photography skills the photos look even better by comparison, so in a way it helps me look good

Nothing wrong with less than perfect photos as I've enjoyed some great ride reports taken that way. You've also noticed there are some real talented photographers here at ADvrider to. If I'm going to be honest I think the reason some of you enjoy my photos is the common bond of interests (motorcycling/nature) more than photography skill itself. Go to any photography forum and you'll see shots like mine are really dime-a-dozen, that's not good or bad, it just is. But I'm constantly working on it

Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 PM   #326
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,935
Quote:
I don't think I'm using anything special, but here's a quick insight I've noticed. With digital photography going past a hobby and almost a everyday part of life with smartphones, Facebook and such we are getting used to looking at photos everywhere that were taken on the run , without much thought (usually with one hand) that are often out of focus and blurred. I think when someone these days takes a moment to practice basic photography skills the photos look even better by comparison, so in a way it helps me look good
I strongly disagree! That last bunch of photos was pretty special. Keep it up!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #327
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,220
I made it to Alice's and beyond..

Quote:
If I didn't have my arm twisted in to working this weekend I'd meet you for a burger Enjoy the ride man, what great roads for a new bike!
It would have been great to say hello and to thank you for all the highly appreciated entertainment and inspiration.

I picked this up in San Francisco and danced it down to L.A. on mostly country roads.

Skyline/Summit all the way to Watsonville was a great initiation on the new bike.

I traveled the Central Valley wine region all the way and was treated to spectacular scenery the entire trip.

Routes like Indian Canyon and Foxen road are amazing on two wheels.

Got a bit carried away here... but hope to run into you on the journey sometime.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 10:58 PM
DesertSurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #328
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
I strongly disagree! That last bunch of photos was pretty special. Keep it up!
It's not often I'm glad to have someone disagree with me, but this time I won't argue Thanks Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
It would have been great to say hello and to thank you for all the highly appreciated entertainment and inspiration.

Skyline/Summit all the way to Watsonville was a great initiation on the new bike.

Got a bit carried away here... but hope to run into you on the journey sometime.

Glad to see you out enjoying our Nor Cal roads, I'm sure you had a better day riding than I did working Maybe next time.

I take it you went down Eureka Canyon? I really like that road.

And what a cool bike!! How did you know I have a soft spot for Sportsters? Used to terrorize HWY 9 with one I modified back in the day. Had a close look at the newer ones when I bought the Bonneville.

If we're talking cool, sporty bikes I've had my eye on one of these for a little while now. My friend Jimmy (that's him with the Thumbs up) shows up with one of these at The Junction and INSISTED I test ride....I said let me grab my helmet Got to flog it for a half hour or so behind Hamilton. One of these could really get me in trouble

Not much more to share right now, but as long as I'm bumping this thread I'll throw in my most recent "wildlife" sighting

Just thought it was kind of cool

Old 03-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #329
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119

That's right by a favorite work spot for me...

Old 04-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #330
AdventureDave82
Infinite Curiosity

Oddometer: 14
GPS Tracks?

Hi Dave,

I just stumbled on your blog/post. Really gets my blood flowing and makes me want to get out there on the road ... and I just got back from four days in Death Valley. I love the rides you go on - beautiful country. I live in San Luis Obispo so I'm not too far away. Any chance you have GPS tracks of some of your favorite off-road routes?

I just subscribed to your thread - keep 'em coming.

Dave
AdventureDave82 is offline   Reply With Quote