2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #347
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
It is a great place. There are a lot of great roads, views and the weather lets us ride almost year around
Old 05-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #348
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
It is a great place. There are a lot of great roads, views and the weather lets us ride almost year around
I spent some time there on the bike in September and I loved it.

Just between HW36 and the Oregon state line you can ride for 3 days and never find a road not worth riding.

Even when I was lost I was in heaven.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #349
HoJoOkie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
6:00Am

Armed with a hot cup of coffee and fresh clear mind I took a long, slow, review of your photo's. They're so good and inspirational. I'm amazed when thinking about the bazillion people who've passed by the same fields, pastures and mountains, never seeing what you have.

Last week I visited the Okla. Museum of Art where there was temporary exhibition of A. Adams and Brett Weston. Although I've seen most of the photo's before it's always a pleasure. But, I'm here to tell you, you've got the right stuff.

Backing up a bit, both Ansell and Edward Weston go down in history partially because their work is a historical record. Much like the Indian photo's taken by Curtis at the turn of century. Your pix, in my opinion, differ from theirs. Yours bring a statement of peace and beauty which we can all enjoy. It's the kind of beauty we can hopefully preserve. It's ours for the taking.

Your snaps got Soul.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck in the future.

HoJoOkie screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 06:17 AM
HoJoOkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #350
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,756
Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #351
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I live in this area. I've been to most of these places, ridden these roads, some of them a zillion times, but when I look at your pictures, Dave, I feel like I'm seeing something new. I just haven't learned how to slow down, and look, and see beyond the road. Thank you for taking the time to share these images with us.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #352
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I want to move to Nor Cal
Me to! Oh wait, I'm already here. The couple of times I've considered moving I've known I'd miss this to much. Keep in mind so many of the locals don't appreciate our backyard, this is MY version of Nor Cal . Don't care much about the cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJoOkie View Post
6:00Am

Armed with a hot cup of coffee and fresh clear mind I took a long, slow, review of your photo's. They're so good and inspirational. I'm amazed when thinking about the bazillion people who've passed by the same fields, pastures and mountains, never seeing what you have.

Last week I visited the Okla. Museum of Art where there was temporary exhibition of A. Adams and Brett Weston. Although I've seen most of the photo's before it's always a pleasure. But, I'm here to tell you, you've got the right stuff.

Backing up a bit, both Ansell and Edward Weston go down in history partially because their work is a historical record. Much like the Indian photo's taken by Curtis at the turn of century. Your pix, in my opinion, differ from theirs. Yours bring a statement of peace and beauty which we can all enjoy. It's the kind of beauty we can hopefully preserve. It's ours for the taking.

Your snaps got Soul.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck in the future.
Thanks so much for taking the time to express that...you "get it" to!

It's strange for me this photography stuff, I've been doing it for about 5 years now, and it's the first time I've pursued something this passionately that wasn't about competition. Racing bikes was all about being the best I could...and faster than the next guy. Same story with shooting/marksmanship which I pursued for a number of years. Heck even playing guitar when I was younger wasn't just about being good, it was about wanting to be better than the other guy.

Photography is the first time I recall that I put all my energy into something simply to be able to share what I not just see, but what a place makes me feel. Couldn't really care to much how it stacks up against somebody else, if it allows me to share the moment. And increasingly trying to capture these moments has lead me to experiencing so many more of them, and so much deeper than before. Love your description of "Soul", never thought of it that way before, but that's where the inspiration comes from for certain.

If you get all of that over a cup of coffee, I'm stoked you made the connection. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
I live in this area. I've been to most of these places, ridden these roads, some of them a zillion times, but when I look at your pictures, Dave, I feel like I'm seeing something new. I just haven't learned how to slow down, and look, and see beyond the road. Thank you for taking the time to share these images with us.

-dman
You know that's one of the reasons I ride mostly local now. It's been years since I've done a multi week ride. While those are great, I used to feel I needed to see new roads all of the time to see something new. I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world, but it seemed like I would work all year for a week or two of riding bliss and then back to business as usual for another year riding the "same ol roads". Looking deeper at my usual roads it amazes me how I always see new things, in new ways, so instead of a week or two a year to live the dream I feel it's become a lifestyle year round.

And it's working for me right now As I always say in this thread, don't force yourself to slow down, but maybe try it on occasion, and some day it will maybe just feel right. If that day never comes that's fine to if you're doing what you love.

Oh yeah, there are certainly still days that are all about just doing the full tilt boogie with 100% concentration on apexes and traction.....but you don't see any photos from those days

Desert Dave screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 07:29 PM
Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #353
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Once again I'll let the photos do most of the talking...

Spent Sunday at Sears Pt. watching the Pro Superbike shootout in conjunction with the AFM club races and Supermoto USA. I'll post just a few photos here, there's more on my Smugmug page if you're a race junkie and want to see the rest

Desert Dave screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 09:15 PM
Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #354
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,413
I just snooped around in your smugmug - you do have some great stuff in there!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #355
PinkPillion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Wow! Gorgeous photo

PinkPillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #356
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

If only life was this simple.......

Actually it is

With all of the mid sierra passes open now and spending last weekend at the race track, I was really hurting for a ride. So I made up for it by criss-crossing the Sierras multiple times in two days and one awesome night!

Just a one photo ride report for now, if that doesn't scream "Enjoying the moment" I don't know what does.

Yes, I stayed out past my bedtime. Yes, my fingers got numb in the sub freezing temps and howling wind, but I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be!

Old 05-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #357
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
I just snooped around in your smugmug - you do have some great stuff in there!
Thanks, some really odd stuff to

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPillion View Post
Wow! Gorgeous photo
I'll make more

Old 05-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #358
The_Scottsman
There's Beer here??

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post

Actually it is

With all of the mid sierra passes open now and spending last weekend at the race track, I was really hurting for a ride. So I made up for it by criss-crossing the Sierras multiple times in two days and one awesome night!

Just a one photo ride report for now, if that doesn't scream "Enjoying the moment" I don't know what does.

Yes, I stayed out past my bedtime. Yes, my fingers got numb in the sub freezing temps and howling wind, but I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be!

Simply beautiful, Dave. Simply beautiful.

Ego reperio vestri fedei defectus turbare.
The_Scottsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #359
tonymalony
A leaf on the wind.

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post

Actually it is

Superb, Dave. Absolutely superb.
tonymalony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #360
amendonsa
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dave-

Time for me to lay on the couch for a little bit!

I have been a long time lurker here, but have never really posted to any of the forums. However, I feel compelled to write in and thank you.

I have grown up in NorCal, including Tahoe and Mammoth, and like many of the people who have written in, I have taken the area for granted and never really stopped to truly look around me and enjoy where I am.

I have just recently begun to get into motorcycling, and have less than 500 miles under my belt so far! I came into it way later than I should have. I fear that I spent far too much time listening to other people tell me why I should not do it. So, I still have a tremendous amount to learn and am looking forward to the journey.

There are a couple of things you said that really struck a chord with me that I wanted to share. The first is early in your posts when you talked about the idea of getting better at something. I frequently am accused of throwing myself fully into hobbies and projects, only to find new things that interest me. I have long viewed this as a personality defect, but appreciate the idea that maybe this is just a way to learn and appreciate new things. It can be as much about the process as the product.

Secondly, I started my time with AdvRider with the idea that I had to travel the world, or at least the country, to have adventures and to have lead a full life. Thank you for reminding me that there are plenty of amazing, beautiful experiences to be had much closer to home.

Please keep up the incredible work. It is amazing to me the following that you can create when you are passionate about what you do, whether you intended to create a following or not.

BTW- One final thought. Kirkwood Inn for lunch. Up Highway 88, about halfway between Jackson and the Highway 88/89 split. A perfect place to stop on your way to fall colors in Hope Valley and Blue Lakes. Well worth the trip if you get the time.
amendonsa is offline   Reply With Quote