User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
MouthyMainah OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Exploring India

Looks like I'll be heading to India for a weeks stay in the Pune area at the end of August.
I'm planning on flying into Mumbai, renting a bike and heading to Pune to meet up with a friend and spending the week exploring that area.
I'm looking for any advice on rentals(right now I'm thinking a cbr250 from Indiabikes.com),routes, or things I NEED to see.
Hoping some Indian ADVers will chime in as well as folks who've been there.
MouthyMainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Lots of nice places to see, but do not forget to get your rain gear along. Ex Pune, you'll be just 4-5 hs away from some of the prettiest beaches you've seen (in Maharashtra), and an excursion to Goa and back (it's off season) may also interest you. Lots of green and beautiful areas to see, as well as a multitude of 3 - 4 hundred year old forts, and some a lot older.

Your trip planning will be more of a process of eliminating places because you do not have the time for it all.
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
MouthyMainah OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Thanks for the reply arn. Raingear will be packed. Goa seems a bit far out as I am trying to stay with day trips.
I keep seeing things online that interest me so like you said I will have to decide what I have time for. Beaches or maybe just a ride down the coast seem like a good excursion,any ones in particular you would recommend? Mostly I just would like to avoid tourist-y stuff and try to get a feel for the country and culture in the short time I will be visiting.-tall order,I know. Also,I see you're in Mumbai. If you feel like it I would really like to meet you or any ADV guys in India, that would really top off the trip.
MouthyMainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
arn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Sure, we should be able to meet, as you will be landing in Mumbai, besides I know Andy as well.

Have you visited India before? It may take you some time to come to terms with the traffic. At that time of the year, the roads may be in poor shape too. As far as beaches are concerned, Kashid/Murud or Guhagar are both do able, but it would be far less hectic if you could plan an overnight stay. I think the ferry that takes you to Murud Janjira fort is operational only from September onwards, but if you like historical monuments, this ancient sea fort is one of those things you cannot miss. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2395

Guhagar has a 5km long beach (completely uncrowded), and plenty of places to stay/eat. If going to Murud, the place to stay would be Alibag, about 60 km away again, lots of reasonable hotels, with two lovely beaches Kihim (to the North) and Kashid (to the South). Alibag also has a crappy little beach, but it's better used as a base to visit surrounding areas as compared to Murud.

Closer to Pune - Mulshi lake, Malshej Ghat, and Lonavla. All these are day trips but the latter two are to be avoided at all costs during the weekends.

PS: Once you finalize your destinations, I may be able to provide you GPS tracks to follow
PPS: Very few ADVRs in India, but there is at least one in Pune

arn screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 02:50 PM Reason: more info
arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouthyMainah View Post
I'm looking for any advice on rentals(right now I'm thinking a cbr250 from Indiabikes.com),
The CBR250R is a great bike. Do the rentals have a rack on the back?

sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Aargee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by MouthyMainah View Post
Looks like I'll be heading to India for a weeks stay in the Pune area at the end of August.
I'm from India, but stay at Southern region; like Sendler says, CBR250R will suit you THE BEST, but I'm 100% sure you cannot rent it.

Reason being that, renting motorcycles are risky business in India & most rented bikes are available at Pondichery, Goa & Leh; You can find Karizma, Royal Enfield & Pulsar in abundant for rental. Karizma is quite reliable motorcycle (uses almost the same engine as CRF 230L)

Let me know if you need any help with respect to route maps, timings or accommodation.
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Renting bikes is more popular in some places than others, but no matter where you are, if you go to a bike shop and tell the boss you want to rent a bike, he will usually find one for you quickly. It is mainaly a matter of price (I paid $7.00/day in Jaipur).

And yeah, take some time to get used to the traffic.