User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
ADK OP
abluted

Oddometer: 8,168
Wink Nachtflug's 2014 AMA Motocross Championship Discussion

People are already talking about it. I heard RV has a tweaked knee and is out. But he doesn't look hurt winning the last two SX races.
So what else have youall heard or think?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,893

I'm planning on Unadilla/Budds Creek. Like to get 2 more in, High Point weekend may not be doable.

Love to see Red Bud in person. Blountville is 650 miles or a $500 plane ticket.

If I pay to fly I might as well go to Washougal. Can't wait to see them it gets better each year. All those years I spent thinking "these guys aren't as good as Lackey and Tony D were..."

wrong. or is it right? they're 20 times better. I've been going to races now since 2008 after missing 1983-2007.

It doesn't get old what these guys are doing is off the charts. What the top guys are doing defies logic. So glad I have had the chance to see JS7 before he's done. Sounds like RV won't be around much longer.

These bikes are rocketships. And some of these guys are engaged in rocket science.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
ADK OP
abluted

Oddometer: 8,168
Think how advanced our 70s bikes and riding techniques seemed to the post WW II racers.

(yes, I know there were races that resembled mx long before the late 40s. But mx as a sport really took off at this time)
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I can remember back in the mid 80s having conversations asking, how much better can these bikes possibly get? What in the world will the next 30 years bring? It's hard to even imagine.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post

I'm planning on Unadilla/Budds Creek. Like to get 2 more in, High Point weekend may not be doable.
Hope you can do High Point, Scott.
Probably the only one I'll get to.
Haven't seen you in a while, my friend.
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #6
withiam
Philogynist

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoFar View Post
I can remember back in the mid 80s having conversations asking, how much better can these bikes possibly get? What in the world will the next 30 years bring? It's hard to even imagine.
Same conversation back in 1981. How can they get any better?
Also, a 1981 YZ250 cost $1800 OTD. Good times then and good times now!
withiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:33 AM   #7
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,785
I wanna see Davi Milsap come back and ride strong at the front
Old 05-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I plan on going to the Glen Helen round. My brother may be working with one of the top contenders and I may get in for free.
I'm glad their back at Glen Helen, it's one of my favorite tracks to race at and it's amazing to see the top racers in the world on a true outdoor track,(not something scooped out of a lake bed by a bulldozer).
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
smdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by KZJohn View Post
I plan on going to the Glen Helen round. My brother may be working with one of the top contenders and I may get in for free.
I'm glad their back at Glen Helen, it's one of my favorite tracks to race at and it's amazing to see the top racers in the world on a true outdoor track,(not something scooped out of a lake bed by a bulldozer).
After 2 years in a rock quarry then 2 years in a dry lake bed and having the races in the heat of September its nice to be back at GH in May
smdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Jack View Post
Hope you can do High Point, Scott.
Probably the only one I'll get to.
Haven't seen you in a while, my friend.
It has been too long amigo. We need to remedy that. I'm going to try like heck for High Point and if I can make I'll definitely grab a hotel in your town Saturday night, we can hook up there. Maybe Friday night as well. What are you time wise from High Point?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Think how advanced our 70s bikes and riding techniques seemed to the post WW II racers.
Anyone who's been lucky enough to walk the track at a SX can attest to the fact that if you took a shovel, you wouldn't have to do a whole lot of digging into the on ramp of any of these SX finish line jumps to get to where you could take a step ladder and basically stand it straight up against these damn things. How these guys can launch off of them and not go straight up in the air like a bottle rocket and then come back down like a lawn dart (save the comments) blows my mind. It doesn't compute. I thiknk it's safe to say they've reached the point with bike development that they will basically look like they do now, 10 years from now. They'll keep fine tuning suspension and engine specs but you've still got to connect 2 wheels to an engine and seat and i believe we reached a plateu. I just don't get how they do what they do on them.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,520
The NJ Supercross was my first time trackside in over 30yrs. As a kid growing up and racing red buddas my home track it really didn't seem like the boys then where riding and committing to death defying conditions. There's no comparing the style of MX or SX racers of today with those of years past.. It's pointless. Like all extreme sports someone out there will pull off another move that everyone thought impossible. A year later all the talented riders are doing it.

As a father of two young riders THAT SCARES THE HELL OUTTA ME PERSONALLY!
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdave View Post
After 2 years in a rock quarry then 2 years in a dry lake bed and having the races in the heat of September its nice to be back at GH in May
With the temps already in the mid 90's here, I wouldn't be surprised if it's close to 100*f at race time. You never know though, the weather has been a bit schitzo around here lately.
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
Trailing Jack
Dr. Acula

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
It has been too long amigo. We need to remedy that. I'm going to try like heck for High Point and if I can make I'll definitely grab a hotel in your town Saturday night, we can hook up there. Maybe Friday night as well. What are you time wise from High Point?
3 hours give or take.
Trailing Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #15
ncmedic
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Been to High Point a time or two, been a while though, last time was when Bradshaw was still riding. As for Budds Creek I do that one every year, its been an anual thing for my son and I, he's 16 now and doesnt like spneding time with me like we used to, but we still make the trip to Atlanta each year and to BC. Red Bud is awesome, rode that track during the Fall Classic series years ago.
ncmedic is offline   Reply With Quote