Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #151
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Just got the call and mine will be ready middle of next week. Stand back for the happy dance!!!
About time!!!

Can't wait to see it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #152
Dead Elvis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
My red GT is at Max's and I will be on the road tomorrow....finally! Max will have a GT demo.
scoot on!
Dead Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #153
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Elvis View Post
My red GT is at Max's and I will be on the road tomorrow....finally! Max will have a GT demo.
scoot on!
If you don't have pictures it didn't really happen.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #154
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,740
R 10. BMWs first scooter

R 10. BMWs first scooter

Here The fisrt one bmw around 1954. They canned because it came out to late to take advantage of the scooter craze after ww2. Kind of the same thing that happen to triumphs scooter I once post pictures of here.

More here : http://rider.bmwmotorrad.com.au/arti...-first-scooter

Old 10-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #155
elamofo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Is that a second headlight at the bottom in the front? Or is that round thing something else?
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #156
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,445
Around here the scooter craze went on well past 1954. It lasted into the 60s and then Honda took over. Honda also killed the Triumph scooter.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #157
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
If you don't have pictures it didn't really happen.
Bazinga!!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #158
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Nice! And congratulations!

I was wondering how it works when you put a deposit on a new model like that. Do you put down your deposit and pick a color, or do you plunk down the deposit and take the first bike that arrives, without regard to colors and options?

Give us a review once you've got a few miles on the bike!
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #159
elamofo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Well? How is it?
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #160
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
Nice! And congratulations!

I was wondering how it works when you put a deposit on a new model like that. Do you put down your deposit and pick a color, or do you plunk down the deposit and take the first bike that arrives, without regard to colors and options?

Give us a review once you've got a few miles on the bike!
I put my deposit down in April for the first Platinum Bronze that comes in which happened to be the first color they got. As far as options go, I wanted the heated seats and grips which come in a package with the tire pressure monitoring system. From what I've heard all of the first wave of bikes are coming fully loaded. I have to say that Touring Sport BMW in Greenville SC did an outstanding job communicating the bike's status as soon as they were notified of their allocation. The bike was supposed to come in Friday and be ready on for delivery on Tuesday (I work Sat and they are closed Sun & Mon). Thomas McCord, the salesman, called me Friday morning to say it just came in. I asked if they could have it prepped for a late Sat delivery. I told him I would try to get away from work before they closed and he said they would wait for me if I ran a little late. They close at 5, I got there at 4:45 and they stayed to wrap up the deal. I left at about 5:45 as a very satisfied customer. Now I can take the GT on a 400 mile trip I had already planned for Monday. The heated seat and grips will fill good at 5am when I roll out since the forecast is for a morning low of 40. When I get a few more miles in the bike I'll give a full review.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #161
Dead Elvis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
C650GT day trip in Northeast

I had a nice, autumn ride this past Friday on my C650GT. I traveled 130 miles in 3 hours, covering 3 states in the Northeast. The scooter is tall and wide, but fit my 5"11' tall, 236# frame very well. I was worried that the leg room would be cramped and that the backrest would need to be eliminated, as I had done on my 2007 Majesty, but this was not a problem. I did feel rather tall, and I am sure that those with inseams less than 30"may find it too tall. The handlebar position was perfect, and I was able to sit erect in the saddle, or lean back,Helix style, with no problem, with just the tip of my fingers on the bars.
The bike started with a push of a button, a short 15 second warmup, and it pulled steadily away, with no hesitation. It pulled strongly once past 10 to 15 mph, the throttle was light, with little resistance or fatigue. The CVT was similar to Majesty, it could be smoother, like a large Vespa, but I am sure that this will improve once the rollers and other rotating items, bed in. The GT had very good balance, able to keep upright at very low speeds without problem. The suspension absorbed road irregularities, tracked straight and true, and offered inspiring, comfortable cruising at any speed.
The unseat storage is large, the right glove box could be larger, the left is narrow and deep, and fit a .5L water bottle. The mirrors do require several adjustments to find the sweet spot, the windshield had a bit of buffeting at high speed, but was great in the low position. The range was very good and the screen ridged and clear. The heated grips and seat were great, the auto position very handy and worked well.
I never lacked for power and traveled at speeds up to 95mph, it was rock solid. My fuel economy,as per the display, was 53mpg in mixed riding, with many hills. It was not fatiquing to ride and I can imagine 300 to 800 miles days. 3 year warranty, road service, $11,000 plus tax. A fantastic touring scooter.

Dead Elvis screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 01:49 PM Reason: grammer
Dead Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #162
max57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
R 10. BMWs first scooter

Here The fisrt one bmw around 1954. They canned because it came out to late to take advantage of the scooter craze after ww2. Kind of the same thing that happen to triumphs scooter I once post pictures of here.

More here : http://rider.bmwmotorrad.com.au/arti...-first-scooter

Looks ready to go head to head with the Heinkel. http://www.heinkeltourist.com/Images...Fest1991_6.jpg
Old 10-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #163
Lps2009
n00b

Oddometer: 8
10.000$ for a taiwanese scooter ...... dont think so :)
Lps2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #164
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lps2009 View Post
I thought the same thing. But look at the price of a Silverwing or Burgman 650. It's pretty much on par with those, and they almost certainly use parts from Taiwan. ALL of BMW's bikes and cars use parts from Taiwan, as do many other high dollar brands. Several even use parts from Mainland China. I wish the U.S. would put a heavy tariff on anything imported from China, even on stuff imported from other countries that use Chinese parts in their products. The invasion of cheap Chinese junk is causing our whole country to fall apart.

The scooter craze was basically started by Vespa, and ended when Vespa pulled out of the U.S. market due to problems with the EPA. Recently it has come back, with scooters of all different brands. I don't know why. It would be easy to attribute it to the price of gas, but I seriously doubt that would get people out of their cars unless they were riders already. Most car drivers that don't ride are vehemently opposed to bikes, and wouldn't go near one. Most of the scooters I see around town are 50cc-150cc, and sadly many of them are Chinese. Maybe there are more people riding now, attracted by how easy scooters are to operate, with no clutch and no shifting. But, in my state, you still have to have a motorcycle license to ride them, so you must first learn how to ride a motorcycle. It could just be that motorcycles have become too expensive.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #165
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lps2009 View Post
Bloody hell - another one for the ignore list!
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote