Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #31
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Gruuvy View Post

I don't see it. I lived through an R75 and a K100 and I didn't do anything my Honda friends did not do ..... except pay more.

Just buy a Kymco and pocket the difference.
So, are you advising potential BMW C600 (and C650) buyers to seek out this instead?

2010 Kymco Myroad 700i First Impressions

Kymco MyRoad 700

Posted on October 9, 2011

Just read the road test. The tester mentioned finding the sidestand "impact on the ground in tight corners!" So, one thing for sure. The Kymco (the scooter itself) is in no way a BMW-level product!

2012 Kymco Myroad 700i

But since this capacity model is yet absent from showrooms, buyers may have to be satisfied with the 500cc-
Xciting 500 Ri ABS model:

2012 KYMCO Xciting 500Ri ABS
Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #32
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
The MyRoad 700i is meant to compete with comfy scoots like Burgman 650
and SW-T600 (Silverwing).

Regardless of the Kymco engine in the BMW scoot, it's not the same thing.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #33
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 233
Ultramarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post
Yes, I am a little obsessed with these scooters.
My only question now is of course, what the heck is an "ultra-marine market"?:
Yeah.... I'm going to have to go with Overseas market or anything outside Europe. They still consider themselves the center of the known Universe. I will be interested in seeing them when they arrive. This is not BMW's first scooter though.

Scootard screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 07:05 PM
Scootard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #34
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
The MyRoad 700i is meant to compete with comfy scoots like Burgman 650
and SW-T600 (Silverwing).

Regardless of the Kymco engine in the BMW scoot, it's not the same thing.
Quite true - that the MyRoad 700i is not the same as the BMW products. You appear to have an insightful ability to make snap judgments.

Still, it's quite likely that the BMWs will appear in western showrooms before the biggest Kymco maxi.
Also, all FIVE (of those you mention) would be direct competitors, with the list at SIX if the Tmax is included.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #35
elamofo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
So the scooters are in France at least, and there have been a few test drives. I've been reading scoot-mania.com and translating it from French with google translate. Here's one review from someone that had a Gilera 500 (one of the most beautiful scooters ever imho) and a new Integra:

Google Translation:

Here is the transcript of my trial. BMW C600 Sport, 150km on the clock AKRA pot.
Namely, I had a Fuocco 500 for 2 years, then a Honda Integra 650 for 2 months.

The look, I go, it is known for several months.

First sensation above amount, the lightness of the whole, especially the front. There is room is generous and comfortable. I am 172cm, then I move easily back and forth to find my position. I loved the place for the feet, much larger than the Integra.

Second sensation at startup noise. It's not rewarding. The first meters are very worrying, and then after 10 minutes, warm engine used to it and then eventually it will. I think Ara is an essential option.

Third sense, starts: Obviously after Integra, the situation is greatly distorted, so Pluck it on startup after NO scooter can rival. So it is no exception, the first 6 meters are a bit soft, but after it's all good. The engine is full, answer to many requests, it sends even stronger than the Integra in the region 150/180.
I used the screen on two levels, intermediate, protection is present, but we feel the turbulence. I switched on the high position, great, nothing, it's funny from 160km / h it is pushed forward until 180km / h. I have not been able to go over the counter stops at 180 and the switch turns on. It does not move, there will very generously. (I recall test model 150km on the clock)

Ultra handy, very good turning radius, light from the front, good times. Retro pass over those cars.
The position of the stalks is good, I liked the position of the headlights and horn Appropriately handy. The adjustment of the brake levers is top.
The onboard computer is very complete, the tachometer, unreadable. As it was raining in late morning, I even tested the hot seat, it's nice.

For me it is a machine that offers the ideal compromise between sportivités / comfort / payload / image.
Obviously purely about driving pleasure, the Integra remains for me before. (But not for everything else)

So I confirmed my order and my options, I go on vacation and would take it upon my return. Compared to what I had booked, I added the pot Akra.
Some pictures.

elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #36
snook1224
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Kymco make the Expresso. From pictures online it (the Expresso) looked like a really cool retro scooter but the close-up reality is very cheap looking and turned me off them completely.

I fancy this BMW and initially I thought that the underseat storage extension was a great idea but ... what is it made of? No mention of this. Say that you use it, or not, what is to stop anyone getting into it with a box cutter and stealing whatever is in there? Or, in the least, putting a great box cutter gouge across your very expensive jacket or helmet.
'12 CSC 150cc - maybe they are like they used to be and my memory is shot
snook1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #37
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Same like with every soft-top convertible, yet people still drive them.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #38
elamofo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Also a full face helmet wouldn't fit between the body and the wheel. That's typically what you'd use that space for I would assume, since you can only use it when parked. Not that someone couldn't slice through it to piss you off, but they could also just knock it over and piss you off that way.
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:49 PM   #39
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post
So the scooters are in France at least, and there have been a few test drives. I've been reading scoot-mania.com and translating it from French with google translate. Here's one review from someone that had a Gilera 500 (one of the most beautiful scooters ever imho) and a new Integra:

Google Translation:

Here is the transcript of my trial. BMW C600 Sport, 150km on the clock AKRA pot.
Namely, I had a Fuocco 500 for 2 years, then a Honda Integra 650 for 2 months.

The look, I go, it is known for several months.

First sensation above amount, the lightness of the whole, especially the front. There is room is generous and comfortable. I am 172cm, then I move easily back and forth to find my position. I loved the place for the feet, much larger than the Integra.

Second sensation at startup noise. It's not rewarding. The first meters are very worrying, and then after 10 minutes, warm engine used to it and then eventually it will. I think Ara is an essential option.

Third sense, starts: Obviously after Integra, the situation is greatly distorted, so Pluck it on startup after NO scooter can rival. So it is no exception, the first 6 meters are a bit soft, but after it's all good. The engine is full, answer to many requests, it sends even stronger than the Integra in the region 150/180.
I used the screen on two levels, intermediate, protection is present, but we feel the turbulence. I switched on the high position, great, nothing, it's funny from 160km / h it is pushed forward until 180km / h. I have not been able to go over the counter stops at 180 and the switch turns on. It does not move, there will very generously. (I recall test model 150km on the clock)

Ultra handy, very good turning radius, light from the front, good times. Retro pass over those cars.
The position of the stalks is good, I liked the position of the headlights and horn Appropriately handy. The adjustment of the brake levers is top.
The onboard computer is very complete, the tachometer, unreadable. As it was raining in late morning, I even tested the hot seat, it's nice.

For me it is a machine that offers the ideal compromise between sportivités / comfort / payload / image.
Obviously purely about driving pleasure, the Integra remains for me before. (But not for everything else)

So I confirmed my order and my options, I go on vacation and would take it upon my return.
So am I reading the translation correctly that the author preferred the Integra?
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #40
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
So am I reading the translation correctly that the author preferred the Integra?
The way I read it is that the author preferred the BMW as an all-round machine based on comfort, style, luggage capacity, and handling, but preferred the handling and throttle response (driving pleasure) of the Honda.

The Honda has a great price advantage here in Europe as well.

Each potential buyer will have to ride both machines to establish whether the BMW is worth the extra...

Being happy with a chain final drive (like the Aprilia 800) is also a consideration.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 AM   #41
Cortez
BAZINGA!

A bit offtopic but.. a local magazine just had a shootout between the
SRV850, Integra and Tmax 530.

The Tmax was all-round winner, best balance of handling/brakes/comfort
and even wind protection. They wrote a lot about Integra's DCT and considered
it to be lacking a lot, shifting gears mid corner and in a lot of situations where
you wouldn't expect it to.

Also, it would NOT shift down when you give it WOT if in 'D' mode.

Considering the horrendous MPG figures they got from all 3 (they kept the
Integra in Sport mode all the time), it's easy to assume they were doing WOT
all the time.

The SRV was obviously the fastest, I think the Integra was the most
comfortable, closely follower by the Tmax, and SRV had the worse
wind protection.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #42
piedevant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Why would anyone buy a Silverwing/Burgman/Majesty/T-Max with BMW written on it and pay twice as much?
This question displays a sad ignorance of the difference between all the above-named machines, and their prices.
which isn't to say that the BMWs aren't overpriced......

If anyone's interested, my review of both the new BMW 650
maxiscooters is out now in the August 2012 issue of The Rider's Digest,
No.169, which is available to read online or download for free from:
www.theridersdigest.co.uk
The maxiscoot feature starts on page 98 and runs all the way to p.119.
The magazine is 160 pages in all and has a great variety of other features too.
PNB in London, UK
PS Meanwhile, BMW's electric maxiscoot prototypes were presented last
weekend at the London Olympics. I hope to ride one soon.
PPS I have of course ridden all of the above-named machines in all their various guises, and I have actually owned 3 Tmaxes and 3 Burgmen.
piedevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #43
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by piedevant View Post
This question displays a sad ignorance of the difference between all the above-named machines, and their prices.
which isn't to say that the BMWs aren't overpriced......

If anyone's interested, my review of both the new BMW 650
maxiscooters is out now in the August 2012 issue of The Rider's Digest,
No.169, which is available to read online or download for free from:
www.theridersdigest.co.uk
The maxiscoot feature starts on page 98 and runs all the way to p.119.
The magazine is 160 pages in all and has a great variety of other features too.
PNB in London, UK
PS Meanwhile, BMW's electric maxiscoot prototypes were presented last
weekend at the London Olympics. I hope to ride one soon.
PPS I have of course ridden all of the above-named machines in all their various guises, and I have actually owned 3 Tmaxes and 3 Burgmen.
time and time again I run into riders in real life, online and in books who all say BMW touring bikes are outstanding. I am rather excited to see these new BMW maxi scooters coming out which I might be in the market for next year :)
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #44
ArtCuisin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
You can quote me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have never owned a BMW anything, and the main reason is price. But I have been part of the scooter/motorcycle scene all my life, and am familiar with the cost of BMWs compared to Asian and Italian bikes. I I expect the BMW to be about $5000 more than the Japanese maxi scooters. However, since a lot of it's parts are built in Asia, I could be wrong. But, is an Asian built BMW still a real BMW?

A lot has been made of the fact that Harley uses a lot of Asian made parts on their bikes, and therefore the bikes aren't really American. They are still an American design, but the presence of Asian parts does make me question their cost, as well as the fact that they are truly American. The same goes for BMW. BMW is well known as a German brand. And it used to be, but not so much anymore. For some time, BMW has been using non German made parts, including complete engines.

The same thing can also be said about Japanese bikes. Used to be that Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha were Japanese bikes. But that is no longer the case. Many of them are now being built in China, Taiwan, and Thailand.

It is becoming very confusing what is what anymore. Brand names used to mean something, but that is becoming less and less so. Many brand name vehicles are a hodgepodge of parts from all over, and in fact many are completely built in other countries. My 1985 Honda Goldwing was built in the U.S., though most of the parts were of Japanese origin. Now the Goldwing is again being built in Japan, but many of the parts are from third world countries.

BTW, I do like that Aprilia. I don't know how much of it is Italian, but it looks nice and it is probably high quality.
A cat born in a doghouse is still a cat.
ArtCuisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #45
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Eek

Just checked with the local BMW dealer.
The scooter released been bumped a couple times (currently they're promising September). The guy I talked to wasn't real optimistic on that since they've been having trouble getting two wheeled stock in general.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote