Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #91
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Yup.

Aside from the troll's static...what puts me off on them is WHY BMW went and got into the scooter market. What are they bringing to the fore that no one else offers?

For example...I can see how Suzuki got there. It's a logical progression to their providing easy-use two-wheeled transportation to a wide variety of customers.

BMW...has been a builder of superb road motorcycles and more recently, dual-sport and motocross machines. Why, except for the profit, should they be tapping the scooter market? A scooter is by definition a compromise. All but the Burgman 650 have a swing-axle-mounted motor. All have high seating. Most have tires smaller than touring bikes.

I had the same reaction years ago when Mercedes-Benz entered the station-wagon, and later SUV, markets. WHY, except to rake off easy sales?

I'm not opposed to BMWs. I had an R1200GS...couldn't afford it, but loved it. Covered my losses in the sale. But part of their brilliance, in the past, has been FOCUS.

Not unlike Harley-Davidson. I'd never buy one; but I admire them for knowing their market, focusing on it, and crafting for it and cultivating it.
No one is doing it to provide "easy-use two-wheeled transportation",
they do it for the money. It can't be any simpler.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #92
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
No one is doing it to provide "easy-use two-wheeled transportation",
they do it for the money. It can't be any simpler.
It's simple...to see who's doing it just to make a buck; and who's doing something because they believe in the product they're making.

Profit is always at the root of any business. But a desire ONLY to make money, is at the base of consumer ripoffs and outrages.

Is there a difference between what's sold by Toyota and what was sold by Yugo America? A difference between Suzuki's offerings and Tank Sports' products?
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #93
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,631
BMW's strategy is to offer premium products at a premium price. They have worked hard to offer innovation and superior technology. Whether or not their products are worth the price is open to debate but enough people have thought so to keep them in business and making a profit. I see nothing wrong with BMW making a scooter. The idea that they shouldn't because a scooter is a compromise just doesn't make sense. ALL motorcycles are also a compromise. As long as the new scooter meets the expectations of what people want from a premium priced BMW, it will sell. Although I have no interest in getting a scooter this large and heavy, it's always good to see another offering in the market. Perhaps BMW will get more respect for scooters in general.

If Ducati can sell a premium priced cruiser, BMW should be able to sell a scooter.

Hmmmm, maybe we'll see a V twin powered Ducati scooter in the future??

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #94
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
BMW's strategy is to offer premium products at a premium price. They have worked hard to offer innovation and superior technology. Whether or not their products are worth the price is open to debate but enough people have thought so to keep them in business and making a profit. I see nothing wrong with BMW making a scooter. The idea that they shouldn't because a scooter is a compromise just doesn't make sense. ALL motorcycles are also a compromise. As long as the new scooter meets the expectations of what people want from a premium priced BMW, it will sell. Although I have no interest in getting a scooter this large and heavy, it's always good to see another offering in the market. Perhaps BMW will get more respect for scooters in general.

If Ducati can sell a premium priced cruiser, BMW should be able to sell a scooter.

Hmmmm, maybe we'll see a V twin powered Ducati scooter in the future??
I never understood why people call scooters compromises of motorcycles. They both have their advantages and disadvantages over one another.

A motorcycle in many cases will be quicker, but a scooter will be easier to ride and be more practical for around town.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #95
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
BMW's strategy is to offer premium products at a premium price. They have worked hard to offer innovation and superior technology.
That's true. But they have their level of expertise, and it cannot cover everything.

"Know your business." Harley-Davidson is very good at what they do - the knockoffs prove that; they're literally cheap imitations. BMW, likewise. For BMW to imitate the UJB with an integral gearcase, wet clutch and chain, would be like Yamaha imitating a BMW boxer.

You wouldn't buy the Yamaha boxer, at least not until it had been proven. And had the design problems worked out.

Likewise, you wouldn't buy the BMW UJB imitation - why bother?

So...why would I buy the BMW scooter? There ARE going to be problems with it; it's so alien to what BMW knows how to do.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #96
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
That's true. But they have their level of expertise, and it cannot cover everything.

"Know your business." Harley-Davidson is very good at what they do - the knockoffs prove that; they're literally cheap imitations. BMW, likewise. For BMW to imitate the UJB with an integral gearcase, wet clutch and chain, would be like Yamaha imitating a BMW boxer.

You wouldn't buy the Yamaha boxer, at least not until it had been proven. And had the design problems worked out.

Likewise, you wouldn't buy the BMW UJB imitation - why bother?

So...why would I buy the BMW scooter? There ARE going to be problems with it; it's so alien to what BMW knows how to do.
I have to disagree with much of what you have posted here. First, off, If I was interested in a cruiser, (I'm not), I would probably buy one of those "cheap imitations" which offer a lot more bike for the money...IMO. I'm not bashing those who buy Harley's, but that's my what I would do.

BMW's original expertise was air cooled boxer twin street motorcycles. They have stepped out of their original area many times.

BMW recently went head to head with the Japanese by building the S1000R sport bike. You could say that they copied the Japanese by making an inline four cylinder sport bike but it seems to have worked out very well for BMW and the bike has been a huge success.

How is a scooter so alien to what BMW knows how to do? Kymco makes the engine and transmission, it's not new to them. The rest of the scooter isn't that different from a motorcycle. Two wheels, similar tires, front and rear suspension, brakes. Only the frame is really different.

The only area where you may have a point is that this is a new model for BMW. I'd be concerned about buying a new model even if it was a motorcycle. BMW does have a history of reliability issues.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #97
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,370
This was posted over on MV..

"Real" MSRP
We just got some new information on the Scooter pricing:

C600 Sport
Base Price: $9590
Highline package: $605 (Heated seats, heated grips, TPM)
We are assuming Dest charge will be the typical $495 (that seems to be the only variable here)
$10,690

C650 GT
Base: $9990
Highline package $605 (same options as above)
Again, assuming $495 Dest
$11,090

The only variable now is the Destination charge, which BMW puts into the MSRP. It has been $495, and I haven't seen anything showing it's been changed...
The nice thing about that is that the dealers shouldn't be adding any "set up", "handling", "freight", etc.... just your State fees (Tax, License) and a doc fee.

Wow! I think they did a great job keeping the price incredibly competitive- especially considering you get a 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty and ABSwith that!
I'll take two!
~RobynS

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #98
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
There was a time when all cars were manuals. Then someone came up with this idea of an automatic transmission and people bought up cars like crazy...

extrapolate.

p.s. I had a mini cooper in the years that BMW makes everything for it, the service is outstanding and the price is actually fair when you inspect EXACTLY what you are getting.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #99
Dead Elvis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Just received pricing.
C600 base $9590 Premium $10195 heat seats, grips, and tire pressure monitor
C650GT base $9990 Premium $10595 heat seats, grips, and tire pressure monitor

I am leaning toward a red GT Premium, but it is a difficult choice....
Dead Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #100
elamofo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I wonder if the 530 TMAX will suddenly become available in the US now.
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #101
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,867
BMW's strategy is to offer premium image at a premium price.

I've had five of them. They are good products, in most instances. But when they break, and they will, you better be willing, and able, to dig deep.

You might ask if I feel this way, why have I had five. I am a slow learner.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #102
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post
I wonder if the 530 TMAX will suddenly become available in the US now.
I hope so, fingers and toes crossed for that...
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #103
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post

I've had five of them. They are good products, in most instances. But when they break, and they will, you better be willing, and able, to dig deep.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #104
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post

its not digging deep, its digging

PREMIUM
Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #105
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
I looked around a little, and wondered where the premium is for BMW scooters. handling? nah, its a scooter, they ALL HANDLE and are fun. its by design more FUN than motorcycles and cars.

twist, zoom, grinnnnnn

is it better quality materials? hmm, I can change my grips anytime to DS 714s and feel even better. no biggie.

drive train? nope, that's kymco, and kymco has a handle on scooters.

tires? I can swap those

where's this premium? someone please tell me (since I haven't ridden one) where the premium is on the beemer vs the others.