Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #766
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,498
Bill getting gas yesterday. Do you see him to the right?

Bill, we ate across the street ON THE WAY TO FAIRBANKS remember?

We got gas there too. Last time I don't remember the concrete blocks on the other side of the gas pumps. Maybe people were running off without paying.

And that blue truck is spraying water probably to keep the dust down.

ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #767
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Hello again Bill and Clif.

Some may take umbrage with my thoughts here, but that is ok. I personally like to stay in the far left lane on the interstates, and I like to go just a touch faster than the trafic around me.

My reasons for this are:
When I travel slightly faster than others the vast majority of things that will concern my ride happen in front of me, thus the blind aspect, the rear we hardly see, is less of a concern.

When I keep in the far left lane on the interstate I know that there are comparatively very few on-ramps that come into the left lane, and so I know that anyone trying to kill me will be coming from my right, front, or rear.

I basically eliminate a huge portion of possible incoming accidents. You have to always "keep your head on a swivel" as we say in the Army. Always look around, and keep very alert in traffic.
I have driven in the worst rush hour, (outside of New York or CA) and the fastest paced thick traffic. Personally I think it is not too bad, so long as you keep looking around, and do your best to look as far down the road as possible (like Bill taught you) and anticipate stupid moves on the part of other travelers.

Think of it this way Clif, you are in a huge traffic jam, on a jetski, on a river full of boats, everything from other jet skis, to race boats, to mega yachts, and (and here is the kicker Clif) YOU Are the only one who knows what you are doing. By that I mean every other person on that river is a total idiot and they are out to get themselves and everyone else killed.

If you think of driving in the city like that you will be less likely to be surprised when someone does something stupid.

If yall get to Utah, let me know.

Regards,
Brian

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #768
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

2012 jul 13 2206 mcbride bc canada - is it bc?

every light is on in the hotel room. I have the electronic zapper out and for mosquitos, blood withdrawals or intent for withdrawals means DEATH BY ELECTROCUTION!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #769
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Why did God create mosquitos?

Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #770
judgebill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
McBride, British Columbia

We meet Coindy tomorrow in Kamloops. She is fllying up from Los Angeles to Seattle, renting a Harley, and riding to Kamloops, BC to meet us. We will be there by the time she arrives. Hopefully. Then the three of us will bed riding together as we return to Los Angeles through Montana, Yellowstone, Nevada and then California. Will be fun.
We'll let Cindy introduce herself.
Today was the hotest day we've had on the trip. Even in California we had the coastal breezes to keep us cool. Today was in the 80s. And Clif stayed covered up and wore his riding jacket the whole day. Thanks in no small part ot the many comments he received about road rash and protectxive gear.
Scenery today was beautiful. Many of the rugged mountains we passed by were worn smooth on one face by ancient glacial action. On other mountains you could see the scars left by winter avalanches. Plenty fo fishermen along the streams.
Saw something unusual tonight at the motel where we're staying. A large bike (probably a Gold Wing) pulling a trailer and on the trailer was mounted a bicycle. Now that's really unusual.
I'm reallyl tired tonight and don't find much inspiration, though I'm reaching for it. So I'll leave it to Clif to make his wonderful additions and carry the ball for tonight. Will post something tomorrow morning.
Bill
judgebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #771
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebill View Post
We meet Coindy tomorrow in Kamloops. She is fllying up from Los Angeles to Seattle, renting a Harley, and riding to Kamloops, BC to meet us. We will be there by the time she arrives. Hopefully. Then the three of us will bed riding together as we return to Los Angeles through Montana, Yellowstone, Nevada and then California. Will be fun.
We'll let Cindy introduce herself.
Today was the hotest day we've had on the trip. Even in California we had the coastal breezes to keep us cool. Today was in the 80s. And Clif stayed covered up and wore his riding jacket the whole day. Thanks in no small part ot the many comments he received about road rash and protectxive gear.
Scenery today was beautiful. Many of the rugged mountains we passed by were worn smooth on one face by ancient glacial action. On other mountains you could see the scars left by winter avalanches. Plenty fo fishermen along the streams.
Saw something unusual tonight at the motel where we're staying. A large bike (probably a Gold Wing) pulling a trailer and on the trailer was mounted a bicycle. Now that's really unusual.
I'm reallyl tired tonight and don't find much inspiration, though I'm reaching for it. So I'll leave it to Clif to make his wonderful additions and carry the ball for tonight. Will post something tomorrow morning.
Bill
I'll try to get a picture of that bike you're talking about!

Have a good rest Bill. I hope we have less than 240 miles tomorrow. Maybe we'll have extra time and energy to upload more photos, videos...

Awesome post as always. If we weren't so tired, Laura and "Jose" would visit us now!
Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #772
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
Hello again Bill and Clif.

Some may take umbrage with my thoughts here, but that is ok. I personally like to stay in the far left lane on the interstates, and I like to go just a touch faster than the trafic around me.

My reasons for this are:
When I travel slightly faster than others the vast majority of things that will concern my ride happen in front of me, thus the blind aspect, the rear we hardly see, is less of a concern.

When I keep in the far left lane on the interstate I know that there are comparatively very few on-ramps that come into the left lane, and so I know that anyone trying to kill me will be coming from my right, front, or rear.

I basically eliminate a huge portion of possible incoming accidents. You have to always "keep your head on a swivel" as we say in the Army. Always look around, and keep very alert in traffic.
I have driven in the worst rush hour, (outside of New York or CA) and the fastest paced thick traffic. Personally I think it is not too bad, so long as you keep looking around, and do your best to look as far down the road as possible (like Bill taught you) and anticipate stupid moves on the part of other travelers.

Think of it this way Clif, you are in a huge traffic jam, on a jetski, on a river full of boats, everything from other jet skis, to race boats, to mega yachts, and (and here is the kicker Clif) YOU Are the only one who knows what you are doing. By that I mean every other person on that river is a total idiot and they are out to get themselves and everyone else killed.

If you think of driving in the city like that you will be less likely to be surprised when someone does something stupid.

If yall get to Utah, let me know.

Regards,
Brian
Thanks Brian.

And I like your comment because I tend to go fast.

Bill - will we be passing by Brian's area?

Brian - which city are you in? Have you been to Logan?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #773
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
As some others have said please keep an eye on water temperature and fluid in the overflow. Everytime you get off the bike look at the tank at the front of the bike on the right side. Ive had the same issue on my GTL and drove home from Colorado to NC with no problems. Had the pump replaced at home. This is a probllem that is easy to keep track of.

On another note from one of your postings about the bike wobbling through some turns, be sure you have the ESA on sport when doing some hard riding. You will feel much less give in teh frame. You can also tighten things up by being sure its in tthe rider with luggage mode or to make it more tight put it in the two person mode.

Have a safe ride,

Bud
Thanks Bud. I have a video showing my bike in sports mode today.

What do you mean "more tight" in two person mode? (that could be taken the wrong way - lol) But seriously...?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #774
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
UFB!! I was just about to call this a troll and quit reading.

Cliff,

If you haven't figured it out yet you are scaring the hell out of most of us that have ridden for a while.

That being said, I flew halfway across the country and rode a bike home having very little experience on pavement and never owning a street bike before. Rode to Alaska last year and doing Canada next month. I'm still alive as far as I can tell.

Stay safe and SLOW DOWN.
Thanks for the great advice.

What's a troll and trolling?

Wow - next month in Canada? Will there be snow on the road? Or ice?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #775
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
That's a small understatement. More to the point it's who's driving the cars you really have to watch out for
Asian drivers!
Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #776
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
Thanks Brian.

And I like your comment because I tend to go fast.

Bill - will we be passing by Brian's area?

Brian - which city are you in? Have you been to Logan?
Slow down. You're too new to riding to go fast.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #777
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
This RR doesnt fall into the same categories as those others, Clif. I dont think I have ever read one as unique. So, I dont think there are enough stars available to rate it

You have to admit that no other report has such a wide ratio between pictures and writing. No complaints, just an observation.
hmmm... do you mean we have a high percentage of photos? Or a low percentage?

So most ride reports (RR right?) have more photos than writing entries?

I went to someone's link and it had no photos at all.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #778
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Slow down. You're too new to riding to go fast.
Yes, you have a point. The BRC MSF course made it clear that speed was often a factor in accidents.

Thanks for reminding me... and KEEP reminding me please
Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #779
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Five stars Clif. Six if I could.

If you went on a solo Uruguay trip on the K1600GTL I'd buy the book, the video, and the t-shirt.
Bill and I loved your comment.

Thanks for following us so closely.

Theoretically, could I make it to Uruguay? And... will I need to fill my jerry cans?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #780
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
Clif,

Complacency when riding will reach out and touch you big time...use good situational awareness by not tail-gating, scanning the sides of the roads, and maintaining at least a "12 second" cone of safety. Don't be taken in by the majestic scenery too much. Be very alert...think about how long it would take to get medical attention in some of the areas you are riding.

Continue having fun!

Steve in So Cal
Thanks for reminding me. Today I was doing pretty well, I think. I was patient UP UNTIL I SAW A BEAR CUB. I swung all the way into the oncoming lane. I was so excited to see the first cool animal today. I was so excited I almost forgot other cars or trucks could be on the road, I forgot I was on a motorcycle.