Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #796
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
When I say I go faster, I mean that I go about 2-5 mph faster, that is all. Just enough to stay out of the very large blind spots of cars and trucks. When you drive a cage you feel your blind spot is small, but that is when you are looking for other cars. When you think about a motorcycle, they can hide really easily, even to a smart car, or a mini, huge blind spots you can easily put a big bike like yours in.

Logan, oh yes, several times. My wife has family just outside of Logan, and we used to travel through there to get up to my wife's family home.

As far as my area, I am about 45 min south of Salt Lake City.

Clif stay safe, and GET MORE SLEEP! You should not be up this late when you are going to ride several hundred miles the next day on a motorcycle with more power than some small cars. (Please) (oh and please do not touch any wild animals, or swerve into oncoming traffic. You can never forget you are on a motorcycle.) Statistically MOST motorcycle accidents happen to guys who have ridden for two years, and up to five years. Before that riders are typically still very nervous, and after five years they have learned (often the hard way) to have respect for the bike. Remember Bill said you have over 5k miles which is about twice as many (perhaps more) than most guys get in a year. Ergo you are entering that cocky 2 year mark, in a sense, so respect your bike please.)

Regards
I hope Bill and Cindy will contact you about meeting. Planning is in their hands as if it were in mine, we'd leave the GTLs on the side and stalk bear families.

I'll try to get more sleep. The night before, I didn't sleep at all... the "guinea pig" night.

Last night I hung out with Laura and still got in some hours.

Thanks
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #797
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aciurczak View Post
ESA is "Electronic Suspension Adjustment", which is an option that you may have (probably have) on your K16GTL. Toggle through the menu, and you can choose the suspension to be Comfort/Normal/Sport. You can switch between those settings while on the fly, and the damping gets progressively stiffer, making the bike feel sportier, and more connected to the road. But the ride quality gets busier, and bumps are felt more, as you move toward the Sport setting.

When the bike is stopped, if you rotate the wheel in the menu further down, you can change the preload on the suspension to adjust for the number of riders and/or luggage. The choices are single rider, rider + luggage, and 2-up. Getting it set right puts the suspension in a better state to handle the road conditions.

On my GT, I generally keep it at Normal, and rider+luggage if I'm running either the side bags or the top case.
Thanks, I have it on sport now.

And on the setting of rider with luggage, but no passenger.

Thanks for teaching me "damping"
Old 07-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #798
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

2012 jul 14 1409 blue river (river safari - where you can find Indy that usually works on dirt bikes)

we are sitting on a river. (not BY or OVERLOOKING - we are on a cafe / restaurant that floats on the river)

bill is eating a buffalo burger.

i'm having OJ and a shake. I'm too full from breakfast to have anything solid.

and mosquitos are eating me!

ClifNotes screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 02:18 PM
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #799
Rutsref
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Laugh Hey Cliff and Bill

Thanks for bringin us along, great job storytelling and enjoyed seeing how well your doing on that new scooter. Kudos!
One thing I think the naysayers are not taking into account is that you are totally immersed in riding. Many riders, even on these pages don't have nearly the total lifetime miles you already have under your belt on this ride. Granted, you may have had some good fortune both in a riding partner like Bill, and some natural skills and awareness, but most of us would have started on the best bike we could buy if we had the $$. I started riding at 17 to save insurance $$ and gas, on a 1967 Suzuki Bearcat 120cc.( Would have gladly ridden a brand new BMW if I had the $$.) Been riding ever since on any and all types of motors, including a lot of off road, So Cal Desert, High Sierras, trail riding, desert racing, organized dual sport rides etc. All that to say..though I still might not recommend a BIG bike as a first ride, it's mostly out of the same concern you have for people's safety. Blessings, jw
Old 07-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #800
Redbuddha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Need a mascot for the trip!

Hey Clif thanks for the pictures and description of the frost heaves.

I just thought about something that no one else has mentioned. Some people have pics of their bikes with mascots on them. It is usually a mascot that reminds people about either their riding style, riding companion, or destination they went to.

I would suggest a Stuffed Bear, Moose, Mountie or Leprechaun. It may add a little more pizazz to you photos.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #801
TIOGAJOHN
n00b

Oddometer: 4
JUDGEBILL, CLIFF

MY FIRST EVER POST...BEEN FOLLOWING YOUR TRIP FROM THE BEGINNING....GREAT STUFF....BILL...YOU BEING 75 AND I AM 70 +...JUST HAD TO TOUCH BASE TO LET YOU KNOW HOW MUCH FUN IT IS....OLDER RIDERS NEED TO GET INVOLVED...I JUST GOT OFF A 5000 MI TRIP WEST DONE IN 11 DAYS....HAVE DONE HYDER , AK BUT NOT THE NORTH END ON MY BIKE...THAT MIGHT COME SOON...YOUR NEVER TOO OLD TO DO ANYTHING.....KEEP UP TO GOOD STORY.
TIOGAJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #802
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

2012 jul 14 1813 @ Kamloops BC Canada

I don't know why such a short ride exhausted me so much. I feel really tired. My eyes itch from the mosquito repellentS.

I was on my way down to wash the bikes and Bill introduced me to Cindy.

She is a warm, perceptive, positive, energetic (REALLY ENERGETIC), beautiful person. I hope she doesn't ride as fast as I think she will.

When Bill first mentioned her bike, he said it was a Buele (spelling?). I thought he said "mule".

I was thinking, "that is a weird name for a motorcycle! I've heard of ninja, katana... in Taiwan, the new bikes were named 'dragon'. Why would anyone market a bike as a MULE?" I could see the selling point:
Slow as a donkey. SAFE as a donkey.

Actually, I haven't seen yet, but Cindy may have a HARLEY DAVIDSON. Wow! That would be awesome.

A small percentage of Harley riders won't wave to me. Someone (c'monn clif - who was it????) said that when he rides with his friends, some Harley riders will ignore every bikers' wave JUST UNTIL the one Harley in their group waves.

Now we have a beautiful girl joining us. Rides a Harley - now I can feel our "group" expanding and gaining diversity. Now even the Harley riders will wave at us!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #803
InDenial
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Hi Clif---you mentioned ride reports. Your's is just fine! Most reports are just narrated pictures of a trip. Yours is so much more; even if it's a little off the wall. You also mentioned the "Harley wave". I ride a Harley and I wave at all riders. I don't feel the brand has as much to do with it as the attitude does. The feeling and adventure come from a mindset, as you have already figured out. Enjoy the rest of your adventure and don't worry about who waves at who. The important thing is you keep waving and smile as you do!
InDenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #804
judgebill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Kamloops, Here We ARE

Hello from KAMLOOPS. Cindy joinged us, as promised, exacgtly at 6:00 pm, in spire of an over-zealous border control agent in Canada who thought whe might be part of the advance party of a group of I-don't-Know-What. And she loved every minute of the long and very hot ride from Seattle to Kamloops. One thing on which we all agree (Clif, Cindy and me) is the scenery through which we are riding is fantastic and spectacular and any other adjedtives yhou want to add. Riding is a real pleasure.
We three had dinner tonight and the conversation turned to riding. Clif has such a refreshing view on life, on riding, on the trip and everything that he is a delightful companion. Cindy is enthusiastic about riding and is looking forward to the experience of the three of us seeing whatever there is to see. We will have to twist her arm a bitd to get her input but if her enthusiasm comes through it will be truly entertaining.
IL'cw norixws rhR my riding seems to bel the end in itself as opposed to the destination. That is, I ride to ridem, nbot to get some particular place. Yes, it helps if there is an intreresting destination, and I have no desire to just ride around in circles. But I am more focused on the act of riding thatn on the desire to arrive. I'm glad to stop at the end of the day, glad to have dinner and talk abou the day's ride, glad to take off my riding clothes and rela...bvu tI reallly and truly enjoy the ride. That's what makes it all worthwhile.
I don't know how many of you feel that way. Frankly, if I were to hear someone describe their riding experien ce that way I'd question their sanity. I'm interested in hearing from any of you who have similar feelings.
Life in teh fast lane, or the turn out or wherever. See you later. Today was esceptionallly hot (95 degrees) and I'm tired and going to bed. More tomorow.
Bill
judgebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #805
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
What an awesome ride report!

Clif, Cindy's bike is most likely a Buell. Eric Buell is a brilliant iconoclast. He worked for H-D and then formed his own company which was then bought (and eventually liquidated ) by H-D.

Most Buell motorcycles are powered by H-D motors but with modern suspensions and tires. They handle very well. The trade-off is in horsepower--the air-cooled motors don't have the output of the water cooled stuff. Still go fast enough to get plenty of speeding tickets though.

If you guys are ever going to be coming through AZ, PM me.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #806
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

2012 jul 15 0802 kamloops bc canada

i don't have much time. i need to pack fast so bill and cindy don't have to wait for me.

i don't know how bill and cindy have 10 times more energy than i do. i have to nap at occasional turnouts - bill never gets tired. i haven't seen cindy ride yet, but if it's anything like her energy level, she's going to be fast.

last night i drank alcohol for the first time on the tour. i only drink red wine for the resveratrol - if it's around. so... i might drink alcohol once every 2 - 6 months.

i got severely drunk. there was a slight misunderstanding and the waiter thought i wanted another drink. remember? on the river raft, i didn't eat anything? so on an empty stomach and generally having no tolerance, i got drunk.

the hot tub was FULL of hot girls. there was some kind of modeling or tv episode convention (or both). they couldn't even all fit into the hot tub. i was supposed to put on my swimming suit and join bill and cindy there.

instead, i passed out on the bed until Bill woke me up this morning.

i think if God ever wanted to punish me for drinking alcohol - that was the best way. "My Son! You have chosen to inebbriate yourself rather than to enjoy the company of the abundant beautiful women in the hot tub. ha ha ha ha ha!"

We took so many beautiful photos yesterday. We ate at a restaurant that had glass for walls and it seemed to be floating in the clouds.

But I'm in a huge hurry. I'll post a couple here to start. If the pace of travel becomes even more frantic with Cindy, I might not be able to post a lot of pics. Well... we'll see.

I don't feel hungover, but I'll drink extra water in case.

I do feel my coordination is a bit off.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #807
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Bill and Cindy sit in the "restaurant above the clouds". We all eat delicious salmon dishes for dinner.

the GTLs socialize with Harley Davidsons on each side.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #808
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

beautiful hotel. i could see bill and cindy's HD from there.

i wouldn't mind to stay here a week and start organizing, upload more multimedia from the tour so far.

at least i passed out on a beautiful bed

Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #809
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

yesterday, in a very Macayver-like tv episode, Bill opened one of the farings slightly, then used a "do not disturb" maid door handle sign to direct coolant into the GTL.

I have pics... but I really should get packing now.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #810
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Best Western in Kamloops

Recognized the entrance. You're back in civilization ... Harley country.

Harry Swan screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 11:22 AM
Harry Swan is offline   Reply With Quote