Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #811
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Oddometer: 1,378
2012 jul 15 1327 @ Revel Stoke BC Canada, Denny's Restaurant

Sitting across from Bill and Cindy.

There was a black infinity that passed me and stayed a long time in front of me, Bill and Cindy in front of it.

Later at one of those short two lane places, the infinity and I were accelerating hard. I think the infinity finally saw me and slowed so I could pass. Or... was it because of the curve ahead?

I accelerated more to take the "go ahead" invitation, but by that time was at a very high speed. The curve was sharp and as it was too late to brake, I leaned into it.

The gtl was shaking. There was rain. And I had never taken a curve that sharp, so fast...

I made it - obviously because if I didn't succeed, I'd probably be dead - but I'm still freaked out by it.

Cindy is a good rider in many ways. She's already ridden Bill's? GTL. I told her I didn't think a petite girl could ride it. She said, "I'm not carrying the bike, just riding it."

(fyi, Cindy wants me to post that I ordered a milk).

It's raining a lot outside now.

Whenever I get under stress, I want to get a rag and start washing the GTL. So... it is hard for me not to go out now in the rain and start washing. It wouldn't make sense, right? 5 minutes after riding away from Revel Stoke, it'll just be completely muddy again.

I like how alcohol tastes. But I might not drink again. I noticed that I've lost a very slight bit of sensitivity to the direction I'm heading when I'm looking around. Or - another way to put it is that I feel less coordinated than usual.

Bill said Cindy is a HARLEY GIRL and is having a bad influence on me - up to yesterday, I didn't drink ANY alcohol!
ClifNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #812
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

This is a photo from a video of Bill and Cindy just before we went on our first ride as a threesome.

Cindy said she didn't want to be an "interloper." I said that Bill and I are like Batman and Robin. So we need a Batgirl!

Or were we more like "Of Bikes and Men" and Bill would be George in that analogy (reference Steinbeck).

Old 07-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #813
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClifNotes View Post
Or were we more like "Of Bikes and Men" and Bill would be George in that analogy (reference Steinbeck).
Ah yes. And you're Lenny. "Which way did he go, George?"
Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #814
Serbchaser
Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer: 273
Cliff - the GTL was SHAKING? :

That should not be happening. Slow down!

Chris

Quote:
2012 jul 15 1327 @ Revel Stoke BC Canada, Denny's Restaurant

Sitting across from Bill and Cindy.

There was a black infinity that passed me and stayed a long time in front of me, Bill and Cindy in front of it.

Later at one of those short two lane places, the infinity and I were accelerating hard. I think the infinity finally saw me and slowed so I could pass. Or... was it because of the curve ahead?

I accelerated more to take the "go ahead" invitation, but by that time was at a very high speed. The curve was sharp and as it was too late to brake, I leaned into it.

The gtl was shaking. There was rain. And I had never taken a curve that sharp, so fast...

I made it - obviously because if I didn't succeed, I'd probably be dead - but I'm still freaked out by it.

Cindy is a good rider in many ways. She's already ridden Bill's? GTL. I told her I didn't think a petite girl could ride it. She said, "I'm not carrying the bike, just riding it."

(fyi, Cindy wants me to post that I ordered a milk).

It's raining a lot outside now.

Whenever I get under stress, I want to get a rag and start washing the GTL. So... it is hard for me not to go out now in the rain and start washing. It wouldn't make sense, right? 5 minutes after riding away from Revel Stoke, it'll just be completely muddy again.

I like how alcohol tastes. But I might not drink again. I noticed that I've lost a very slight bit of sensitivity to the direction I'm heading when I'm looking around. Or - another way to put it is that I feel less coordinated than usual.

Bill said Cindy is a HARLEY GIRL and is having a bad influence on me - up to yesterday, I didn't drink ANY alcohol!
Serbchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #815
GuillermoM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Enjoy compadres!

Quote:
Bill and Cindy sit in the "restaurant above the clouds". We all eat delicious salmon dishes for dinner.

the GTLs socialize with Harley Davidsons on each side.

Hi Bill, Clif and Cindy
You're obviously having a lot of fun!!
God bless you all!!
Un fuerte abrazo from Uruguay
Guillermo
GuillermoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #816
fldigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbchaser View Post
Cliff - the GTL was SHAKING? :

That should not be happening. Slow down!

Chris
You get those PR3's balanced?

BTW - how is the coolant level looking?

2012 K1600GTL - Silver, 2011 Concours 14 - Silver.
fldigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #817
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Shaking???

Clif-- If your bike is shaking only during curves then you are likely feeling the normal feedback from the tires. This will be increased if your arms are stiff and straight. Relax and go with the flow.
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #818
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Parking attendant at Lake Louis didn't want us to park illegally.

But we did anyway...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #819
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

Bill and Cindy leaving Lake Louis.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #820
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

2012 jul 15 2345 Banff Alberta Canada

I'm going to my room now.

I post so much here that when Bill and Cindy want to see what I'm doing, they check here!

I drank only a few sips of alcohol. By tomorrow, I won't feel its influence anymore.

I had a close call passing today. I should have just stayed put. I passed two vehicles and almost ran into a white oncoming truck. But Cindy said she was watching me and that I was "ok".

As you know, I've been riding with one hand a lot. Today I found that without any hands, it seems to be stable sometimes, but... it usually goes to the left. And I don't know how to turn at all without hands. I don't think I'll do anymore or much more than a few seconds of no hand riding because I don't know how. There must be a technique to it, but I don't know who would teach me. I know Bill and Cindy won't. They ride with both hands!

My plan is to arrive in LA. And have my GTL repaired as much as possible.

Then, I may embark on another tour.

I will place more focus during the next tour on generating income.

I'm certain I'll be "tenting".

I will come back to this page in the blog and really miss staying at such nice places. My room has a black marble bathroom, a separate (two sinks total) sink outside the bathroom, a... what? like a living room. And finally the bedroom.

Several nights ago when it was still just me and Bill, I screamed really loud from a nightmare I was having. Did you ever have one of those nightmares that when you wake up, you know wasn't scary at all? But for some reason during the dream, you were freaking out.

I dreamed my dad was telling me that I'd never get married.

I woke myself up screaming really loud. I looked at Bill and he was still sleeping. So I went back to sleep again.

Someone sent me a link to this guy that traveled what... like 800,000 miles? Or someone that traveled ... the world? How did he finance that?

I've been looking for a hose for days to clean my GTL. And guess what? There's one in the basement parking, but I'm too tired to clean it!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #821
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

FOUND HIM! THANKS TO THE FRIEND THAT SENT ME THE LINK!

Emilio Scotto (born 1956) is an Argentine adventurer, photojournalist, and writer. As of 2009 he holds the Guinness record for the world’s longest motorcycle ride, spanning 10 years, 279 countries and a total distance of 457,000 miles (735,000 km).[1][2] The ride was done on a 1980 Honda Gold Wing GL1100 motorcycle Scotto calls “Black Princess."[3] Scotto recounted his travels in a 224-page book illustrated with his photographs, The Longest Ride: My Ten-Year 500,000 Mile Motorcycle Journey, published in 2007.[4]

In interviews, Scotto is known to make hyperbolic boasts on the importance of his adventures, such as "This is more than a trip around the world, it's the biggest trip in the history of human beings."[5]
Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #822
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

have you ever had a friend tell you that so and so "has so much energy" ?

Bill said Cindy has a lot of energy.

Clearly, I underestimated the capacity for a human being to be filled with energy.

First of all, I can only keep up with Bill because he waits for me while I nap at some turn outs.

Cindy exercises every day WHILE ON TOUR. She wakes up really early and doesn't seem to need sleep.

Being with Bill and Cindy is like... very hard to describe. I want to say it's like being with a couple teenagers - but even teens don't have the energy they have.

Just on that topic alone, that aspect of the tour feels surreal.

I'm glad Cindy's in LA, because after the tour ends, I can check on her just to make sure she's for real.

I don't know how I ended up with two of the world's most energetic people.

Ohhh... there's so much I want to do at this Lodge Hotel! i feel guilty for not washing my GTL when a hose is right there!

Oh man. See? I guilt myself into doing stuff I don't want to do! Now I want to go down and wash it.

No wait... I can rationalize myself out of this one... Maybe tomorrow after riding I can find a hose?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #823
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

2012 jul 16 0152 @ banff alberta canada room 301

an advrider friend advised me to sleep early... and i decided to take his advice!

then, i changed my mind and went down to wash the gtl. i wanted to wash bill's, but I didn't have access to his key. Anyway... i might tip his bike over. bill has sat on my gtl once before - just to ride a few feet to show me how to use the clutch. but i've never ridden bill's.

cindy's still looks clean and could have conceivably looked dirtier if i washed it (because i don't dry it off).

everything is charging now - the canon hd motion camera, shuberth helmet, the gopro, the 2 sena intercomm devices... imagine the horror i had this morning waking up from passing out last night - and finding NOTHING HAD BEEN CHARGED!

i'm beginning to realize that there's a whole world on here. there's a lot of REAL people, nice people, expert riders...

is advrider.com the most popular motorcycle website? who made it, and why? there doesn't seem to be any ads, so how do they have the money to maintain it?

i read the wikipedia article about that guy that rode 500k kilometers. i'm still not sure how he raised enough money to travel. and... because gas is really expensive!

after i washed the gtl, i did what any crazy person would do and started riding it! I couldn't leave the parking garage because I don't know the code to get back in! remember? i just follow bill and cindy. they take care of stuff like... when to get gas, where to go... i didn't even realize i was in alberta until midnight here.

i'm beginning to wonder if it's financially feasable for me to ride the gtl to uruguay. if income must be derived while i'm "touring," i need access to internet.

cindy seemed to indicate today that i would probably tip the gtl over if i tried riding to uruguay - and that question came from another advrider's admonishment that i'd tip the gtl five? times if i tried that journey.

or... maybe it was a friend of bill's that later joined advrider.

you have to understand the surprise people have to learn we're from LA. most bikers are from nearby places in canada. and perhaps for certain reasons - including our relatively light packing - they expect we're somewhat local. So that and seeing the absolute explosive combination of bill, cindy, and me - a lot of people we meet in person come onto advrider to find us. that's exactly how some motorcycle friends we made posted here!

i am really concerned about the near future.

i don't think it's a good idea for me to start work in LA. Remember? the last family I worked for, I stayed with them about 11 years. i think people like me. i definitely like other people. so when i start working again, i tend to really enjoy the people there and i'll stay there forever - as long as they don't run out of money to hire me.

because if i start working in LA, i might as well tell everyone here that the tour is over... unless you think ride reports about the i-10 and 5 freeways are interesting. who knows? maybe i'll find a black bear cub. grizzley cub.

so... what i've been considering is to try the "sink or swim" thing.

i should get the gtl completely fixed. then... just set off.

should i travel the US first, where there's internet and english speakers?

or... should i go south and try to catch up with bill?

i asked cindy to come with me, but she said no. I don't remember the reason why. maybe she doesn't want to be kidnapped and have our bikes stolen. or "tent" on the way there.

we have accumulated possibly thousands of hours of footage. the gopro is often recording. canon hd motion camera is sometimes recording - sometimes both are recording at the same time!

so i'd like to work with bill to compile some of the best footage in a dvd.

i don't think i can do it by myself.

what is the definition of touring? what if you only ride 50 - 100 miles a day? or, you stay in one place 3 - 7 days?

i feel like the way a lot of people tour is like watching the movie Top Gun in 90 seconds... it's not a lot of time to get to know people, or to get to know a place.

dynamic. i think one aspect i'd really like to have if i go ... if i continue this tour is interaction.

i'd like to meet people and if they allow me, to get them on film. the upload it to youtube.

my destinations could partially or even in large part be set by advriders - or people watching the journey.

if bill or cindy wins the lotto in the next 2 weeks, then we'd probably be able to set our own destination.

but if i end up going on tour myself, i'll probably involve all of you a lot more.

tonight i looked at a rr about some couple and small kids? - something to do with her brother dying at 31 and her photos were just... i mean - UNBELIEVABLE. Beautiful, striking, and again - unbelievable.

what an excellent rr. her photos are much better than mine. so is her camera.

and... i read other RRs that are more risky.

what i'm getting at is... how did this rr get so much attention?

there must be a lot of reasons.

but look at the result... the result is that advrider has somehow created... or may be potentially making a "virtual rider."

remember... was it yesterday? i wore the dianese because ya all told me to? actually, thanks for that. i was sweating hot most of the time. but towards the night, IT STARTED TO GET REALLY COLD! and i was grateful i took your advice. (and for good measure, bill read your comments and told me i should listen to you).

what if some or many destinations could be set by all of you?

redbuddha i think asked about frost heaves. another one of you had a sign in alaska? you wanted to know if it was still there?

would a tour be feasible or work or still have this interest if i rode around and took photos and videos of things you're interested in?

i also started to think about a higher purpose for going on a tour. theoretically, i could try to make a large income from youtube and just go wherever i want and just ignore all of you as i write my posts.

wherever? have you peeps figured out that in some ways (or maybe it is exactly that way) i don't care where i am? i ride over time zones, national boundaries, territories... and i'm pretty oblivious to it.

i do remember the animals. and people i meet.

so let's say i find a way to go on tour. and i just keep posting pics of where i've been and how nice the ride is... but in a way, what good is that? i mean - it's great for a vacation. but i'm thinking about trying to do it for a VERY LONG TIME. so... if i did that, i'd want a higher purpose to be touring.

if i just wanted to be comfortable, i could just stay at home and play with Roro, my cockatoo.

but if i'm going to go out and tent all the time (which honestly, doesn't appeal to me at all), and have that constant struggling feeling from not having a permanent place - i should be doing something more.

plight.

there are homeless people, are there homeless kids? i think...

you know what? i think people are often ... they feel detached from other people that suffer in different parts of the world because we're given their news of suffering after so many filters.

what if i was riding around and uploading stories of people... they don't have to be suffering so much, but just ...

yes... i'd need a lot more time, the focus of the tour would be different. but i think it would be interesting to give aid or help to people.

how do i find them?

go to soup kitchens?

maybe i can HUMANIZE other people suffering - so those that have abundant resources can help them.

maybe helping people that are in need is really helping myself - because maybe the most Christian or "good" thing we can do as human beings is to help other people.

it feels potentially hypocritical to be talking about helping others when i'm riding the most expensive bmw motorcycle that's ever been produced. but... look at the reasoning and history, the motivation... and then there should be understanding.

ohhhh... scattered thoughts because i can't see the future.

really tired... it's 2:35am.

i know i'll wake up feeling tired. but at least everything will be charging. better than today when i woke up and pretty much had no idea what was going on at all... (THEN AGAIN, getting drunk last night actually allowed me to sleep many hours. i'm not encouraging anyone to drink - but i have to admit i felt good from all the hours of rest.) and again - i didn't drink but a few small sips today. i was a good boy.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #824
ClifNotes
Facebook Me!

after i washed my gtl, and rode it in the parking garage, then washed the tires again... i looked back at it. i stopped and stared. something.... was different.

you know what it was? my gtl SHRANK.

yeah, it got SMALLER!

i was wondering why it seemed so tiny, and i realized that after all these miles and the increase in comfort riding it - it no longer seemed like a "monster." In fact, I used to call it a monster in my mind. i just couldn't manage it.

the gtl, for me being a new rider, has the abundance of power and JUST ENOUGH unpredictability that i wonder if i'm starting to love it.

i can't really recall ever loving a machine before. and i ask myself how i can love my gtl when i can replace its parts - or even buy a new one.

just like having a long time pet or girlfriend, you also get used to positions that work for both of you. one position i've developed recently is having my feet on the passenger pegs, my chest all the way on the gas tank, one hand on the handlebar, and one hand gripping the edge near the part where the flaps go out to create more airflow for the rider.

it's really strange! i don't talk to my gtl much, but... i really feel like some kind of attachment or love is forming. it feels really... weird and... makes me self conscious to write this. but once i start riding, and the gtl produces so much sensation - the sound, the vibration, responsiveness to different gears and throttle.

is it wrong to love a machine?

is jesus mad at me for loving a machine and not people that are in need?

whatever... you peeps will help me figure it out
Old 07-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #825
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Clif, this forum is owned by an inmate named Baldy.

He also owns www.smugmug.com which is a photo hosting website. Profits from smugmug pay for the bandwidth advrider consumes.

That is why I pay to use smugmug instead of any of the other free hosting sites.

Now you're starting to understand why some of us get so torqued when someone messes with our bike.

When you get back to LA, hopefully you will be able to find some lightly used parts from eBay or somewhere else on the internet to repair the crash damage. There are a lot of people on adv that know how to turn wrenches and I bet they would help you. Use the dealer for warranty work and the more complicated service stuff.

You didn't hurt the frame or do any lasting damage.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote