ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #91
Rapid_Roy
finally understands
 
Rapid_Roy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 25,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Come on Roy, laughing with you is one of the reasons I go to rallies these days..
You are a lot of fun yourself, I wish we could both make more.

We think alike (well, except for that Helix desire, I don't get that. )
__________________
What?!
Rapid_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #92
Paper OP
Multibike disorder..
 
Paper's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: IL/WI Border
Oddometer: 3,437
It goes back to this http://www.ironbuttrally.com/ibr/1995.cfm?docid=3 and no I don't have any desire to do an Iron Butt on one, I find touring on a scooter something just weird enough to be fun..

Then a few years ago I met this guy at the Prairie Du Chien Walmart..



A true adventure rider.. He had retired, sold his business, bought a Helix, and was riding up the Mississippi with a goal to find the beginning of the river. He was camping on the cheap, and actually looking for day work to pay for his food and fuel. He didn't need the money, but he was trying to do it as absolutely on the cheap as possible. When I met him he was buying a better sleeping bag.. It was early September and he found out his bag wasn't quite up to snuff..

He was from down by Danville, IL and was riding around 150 miles a day, give or take 50. The church belonged to had started a pool on when he would be back, and his wife must not have had too much confidence in him, since she took the square for the day after he left..

I loved the story, and I kick myself for not getting his name.. I would love to find out how the rest of his ride went.

And some day, I'm going to use my Helix and do a wander, too..

As a test, I rode it up to Curt Gran's funeral, partially to just do it, and partially in tribute to Curt's Ironbutt love.. Ed Otto was at the funeral, too, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him. After doing the Ironbutt on one, I'm sure he never wants to sit on another Helix.. But it would have been cool to have Ed sign the hood on mine..
__________________
I could use a nap..
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #93
Rapid_Roy
finally understands
 
Rapid_Roy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 25,498
I kid. Al and I bumped into an old guy staying at our hotel on one, when we were riding to Gillette for the National.
We laughed, but we later realized that might be us in 20 years, when we can't throw a leg over a bike.

He had steered us to a good meal (VFW) but was not awake when we left, but he passed us in the Southern Badlands when we stopped.
__________________
What?!
Rapid_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #94
mogwai
humorless prick
 
mogwai's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Oddometer: 4,338
KLR rider...didnot pre-register.

Might have to ride the ADVulcan in shame.


I'm predicting rain.
__________________
"You seem extra douchey today. Which is really saying something. " Boomer
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #95
Texnmidwest
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Small Town outside Milwaukee
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai View Post
KLR rider...didnot pre-register.

Might have to ride the ADVulcan in shame.


I'm predicting rain.
Well, I, for one, do hope you ride your Vulcan. I don't want to be the only one riding in on a cruiser. I will come blasting in on a fire breathing Suzuki M50! Cuz, it's all I gots!
Texnmidwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #96
Texnmidwest
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Small Town outside Milwaukee
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
It goes back to this http://www.ironbuttrally.com/ibr/1995.cfm?docid=3 and no I don't have any desire to do an Iron Butt on one, I find touring on a scooter something just weird enough to be fun..

Then a few years ago I met this guy at the Prairie Du Chien Walmart..



A true adventure rider.. He had retired, sold his business, bought a Helix, and was riding up the Mississippi with a goal to find the beginning of the river. He was camping on the cheap, and actually looking for day work to pay for his food and fuel. He didn't need the money, but he was trying to do it as absolutely on the cheap as possible. When I met him he was buying a better sleeping bag.. It was early September and he found out his bag wasn't quite up to snuff..

He was from down by Danville, IL and was riding around 150 miles a day, give or take 50. The church belonged to had started a pool on when he would be back, and his wife must not have had too much confidence in him, since she took the square for the day after he left..

I loved the story, and I kick myself for not getting his name.. I would love to find out how the rest of his ride went.

And some day, I'm going to use my Helix and do a wander, too..

As a test, I rode it up to Curt Gran's funeral, partially to just do it, and partially in tribute to Curt's Ironbutt love.. Ed Otto was at the funeral, too, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him. After doing the Ironbutt on one, I'm sure he never wants to sit on another Helix.. But it would have been cool to have Ed sign the hood on mine..
Why did you have to post that? Now you have me looking at Helixs! Wait, I already was!
Texnmidwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #97
Coopdway
Curiouser
 
Coopdway's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Frontenac
Oddometer: 696
There's a really nice, unstickered one at the local Honda shop.
__________________
Doug
Frontenac, MN
Chauncey likes to watch.......I like to ride
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #98
mogwai
humorless prick
 
mogwai's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texnmidwest View Post
Well, I, for one, do hope you ride your Vulcan. I don't want to be the only one riding in on a cruiser. I will come blasting in on a fire breathing Suzuki M50! Cuz, it's all I gots!
Not just a Vulcan...an ADVulcan. You'll know it if you see it.

There will be several croozers, so don't be worried.
__________________
"You seem extra douchey today. Which is really saying something. " Boomer
mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #99
Texnmidwest
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Small Town outside Milwaukee
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai View Post
Not just a Vulcan...an ADVulcan. You'll know it if you see it.

There will be several croozers, so don't be worried.
Thanks for the words of encouragment, Mogwai! When I rode up to my first meet and greet I felt like I needed to park down the street! LOL!!!
Texnmidwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #100
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!
 
OU812's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Buffalo Grove IL and Killing Threads...
Oddometer: 9,138
[QUOTE=mogwai;19218707
I'm predicting rain. [/QUOTE]
I'm arriving in a P/U truck so bring it on!
__________________
AMA, NRA, AFL-CIO Forrest City.
Getting Old ain't for pussies....................Lorazapam
Even when you do something right people will think you didn't do anything at all.
OU812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #101
Paper OP
Multibike disorder..
 
Paper's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: IL/WI Border
Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812
I'm arriving in a P/U truck so bring it on!
Mogs predicts rain every year.. Just ignore him..

unfortunately, he's usually right..
__________________
I could use a nap..
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #102
Rapid_Roy
finally understands
 
Rapid_Roy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 25,498
I think I can fit most everybody in my tent if it rains.
__________________
What?!
Rapid_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #103
mfbeemer
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
I think I can fit most everybody in my tent if it rains.
True Dat!

Sent via mental telepathy.
mfbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #104
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
I think I can fit most everybody in my tent if it rains.
Hey Roy, can I set up my tent inside your tent?
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #105
Rapid_Roy
finally understands
 
Rapid_Roy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Oddometer: 25,498
No, Contagious boy!

Really, I would have to move the pool table, and I just don't feel like it.
__________________
What?!
Rapid_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014