Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #61
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 483
[QUOTE=joints4sale;19038155]It seems that this hot weather and long days in the saddle seems to affect us all a little differently. I mention this because Dorito seems to get a little pissy about the rest of this not contributing to this ride report. So here is my feeble attempt to contribute although I told her that I was part of the "camera crew".

As mentioned earlier, Dave was having issues with his KTM. This fellow KTM rider stopped to give advice and reassurance as to "They all do that, just ride with the gas cap open."

Notice how he makes that 990 look like a 450. Dude must be tall.

The funny thing is he is from New Mexico and had to ride all that way to meet you guys. Small world...drinkup
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #62
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,089
Today I traveled from El Paso to Deming, NM in order to meet up with the rest of the gang, but on the way I had to stop at the border to get my official starting photo for the CDR.

Bottom line up front:
From Continental Divide Route

Taking off from El Paso, the route I took stayed along the border and was very desolate. Border patrol vehicles were about the only thing I passed.

At one point it looked like I was 1/2 mile from the border and upon seeing a dirt road, had to go take a look. I hope there was something more significant over the rise because I think I could make it over this fence...

At a little State Park in Columbus, NM, there was a historical marker stating that this location was the last time that a foreign troops invaded and attacked the U.S. Not sure this is accurate anymore as I could make an argument that 9/11 counts...

I found the roadside memorials in this part of the country interesting...

During a break, had to give BWDR some press....

Saw three guys from Albuquerque at the border who were starting the CDR as well and one of them took the picture at the top of this post.

Nice relaxing ride today, now sitting in Deming waiting for everyone else to show up. Real trip starts tomorrow....

Enjoy,
Eric

2014 LD Rally Season: Big Money Rally (1 Jan - 24 May); Poison (20-22 June); Butt Lite 7 (6-12 July)
2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11

RFlagg42 screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 04:58 PM
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #63
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,421
Day 5: "E" is for Early Bird Gets the Worm

Daily mileage: around 220 miles
Total mileage: 2157 miles
Final Destination: Deming, NM

Today was tire day. And we have to take our hats off to Sandia BMW. They had 5 pairs of tires changed, 2 oil changes, an oil leak, an air filter, and an faulty gas gauge fixed before noon! Really outstanding performance.

Today's letter is brougt to you by Marty. He eagariously decried he had the first appointment of the day at 0840 during Bfast. Anyhow, Blaster and I saddled up and headed over. We were greeted by John's smiling face.

Notice the hours of operation:

He had bike 1 in before 0800 and rolling out the door at 0850. Yeppers indeed, the early bird gets the worm!

John and Baird (the man must be a vampire, becuase we somehow didn't get a photo of him?) happily even gave us a shop tour. They have the contract for the State Police bikes maintenance.

And the Rifle lock:

You normally don't get to see this side:

How about a police KLR:

I like the idea of the hangers to get the body panels off the floor

Nice 10 bay garage layout:

This bike looks sweet with the red pin stripe on the rim

It's so dry out here, the new bikes sit outside for a bit.

Hopefully, your bike will never need the dreaded blue painters tape. This is used to cross reference the damaged area to the insurance claim. Alas, this bike had 1400 miles and is totaled:

The first 2013 Trans America Trail planning meeting:

The quote of the day:

Quote:
If the wife is going to be short and fat, the bike needs to be tall and slender--Anon inmate
Meanwhile, Blaster thought he needed this Tee:

We passed through a meager few towns today. However, most had references to "bottoms"

Elephante Butte

Arrey Derry:

Then we went through this town with lots of creatures. Never mind the lack of vegitation, we have oversized plaster creatures:

The cactus are blooming

And the Rio Grande is really full.

Blaster will post some of the scenery photos after dinner. Signing off--Eat, Sleep, Ride, Great Divide.

Dorito screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 05:25 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #64
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236

Sweet set of curb feelers!

Looks like a Mini-Joints. Is that a Coors he's sucking on?

VAC
2007 KLR 650/719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #65
blaster11 OP
Fidus et Audax

Oddometer: 6,227
Morning....we had a really long hard day yesterday. It rained a lot and turned sections of the road to mud which then filled our front fenders, which then stopped us dead in our tracks and threw us on the ground. Great scenery and good times despite the difficulty.

On a different... Lakota went over the handlebars yesterday and is now in intensive care in El Paso with a concussion. He was not with us at the time as he went to Antelope Wells early and was then trying to make up time. Be careful and ride safe everybody!
Adventures of Blaster and Dorito
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #66
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,705
Jeez I was afraid of something like that. Seems like the group is too big. Puts a lot of pressure on everybody to stay together when really the pace is so different individually. Hope Lakota's buddy can help get things sorted. I imagine lots of loose ends storing the bike and getting home to recover for awhile. Both my sons suffered concussions in road racing. It take a long time to recover. Months...

Lets hope the trails firm up for you folks so you can finish well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Morning....we had a really long hard day yesterday. It rained a lot and turned sections of the road to mud which then filled our front fenders, which then stopped us dead in our tracks and threw us on the ground. Great scenery and good times despite the difficulty.

On a different... Lakota went over the handlebars yesterday and is now in intensive care in El Paso with a concussion. He was not with us at the time as he went to Antelope Wells early and was then trying to make up time. Be careful and ride safe everybody!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #67
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 483
Hope all goes well today. Don't let those mud snakes bite you.

I live near Albuquerque so PM me if I any of you need help.

The SPOT did not show any emergency yesterday did Lakota try to use it?
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #68
JaxObsessed
RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

Oddometer: 8,969
Any updates on Marty?

This fucking breaks my heart.

Anywhere I can get updates?
Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #69
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Day 6: "F" is for Fookin' Mud!

Daily mileage: around 289 miles
Total mileage:?
Final Destination: Magdalena, NM
So, as many can tell this post is about T+24 hrs late. Yesterday, was an all inspiring and yet demoralizing all in the same instance.

We started the day by departing at the break of day, and all riders in the group were impressively mounted before kickstand up time. Today, "F was going to be first dirt. Instead, we got behind the rain storm and late in the day found ourselves in a very precarious situation.

Rflagg pre-flight jitters:

Early on track we ran into many flora and fauna.

Most notably was a big 'ol hairy tarantula. I was afraid it was going to become a Mother Fookin’ tarantula ran up my mother Fookin’ triple tree! Alas, we past him with no issues, and later happened upon this smaller guy

And later a small herd of horses, however, as tame as they were I believe they privately owned.

Does this plant make my butt look big?

New Mexico threw everything she had at us. We rode through loose marbles, wash boards, mud, valleys, wash outs and more.

By late in the afternoon, we we in the home stretch to Pie Town. J4S had sympathized a few days earlier while we were sweating in the 111F temps, he understands why "Hippos wallow in the mud”. Well, wallow we did. The mud is just incredible. Maryland is nothing but a clay pit, but honestly this mud puts us to shame.
There are these sections which you can see the surface change, and then it turns into a 1” of sticky clay over hardpack. If I could give one piece of advice, is to have a high front fender. The next thing, the mud locks the front wheel, then throws you on the ground. Then you have to push, pull and drag your bike for 100 ft to get back to hard ground again. We ran into 2 sections, and all bikes went for dirt nap except for our TTRU member, EOD3MC. He didn’t fall all day!
The mud will literally clog your tire with less than ½ revolution. The best recommendation we have is to either 1) remove the front fender if you have a single rotor configuration 2)use a tire iron to dig out the mud on dual rotor configured bikes 3) use a pannier lid to scrap the top 1” of dirt off the road to make a trail onto the grass by-pass and the BEST advice and learn to see the road changes and just take the grass bypass to begin with. There is usually either a cow or car previously making a trail.
Rflagg:

Found that rattle that started 4 states ago…missing a head light screw:

GSA on a short leash

Karoo2 doesn’t clear the mud as well:

The Mitas E-10 however, was a really superb pick

We had intended to spend the night around Pie Town. But after the a few hours of wrestling with the two sections of mud, we were pooped. We slabbed over towards Sorroco and found a nice little hotel called the Western Inn. It’s a small 10 room family owned place, and clean.
However, the good get was about 5 miles east of the trail where it crosses RT12, there appears to be a 24-hr one pump gas station. We didn’t need gas, but I believe this would be a much better option instead of re-fueling in Quemado or Datil as both are +20 miles off the track.

Dorito screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 07:59 PM
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #70
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,705
Given your superweight motorcycles and lack of experience, you folks made great gains today! Maybe 180 miles. Bravo. That ain't easy in tough conditions like you saw. Ask any enduro racer. Heck, ask Bigdog himself!

The good thing is that some of you will be smitten by your attempt today and you will be back for more. But on much smaller mounts.

Try these trails a few times and we all default smaller when it comes to the motorcycle. Cheaper too...

Keep plugging. Southern Colorado is VERY fun, but rocky and slower going. Shouldn't be much mud, but the babyheads beat you up a some. The easy riding begins after Del Norte. You could ride a Fat Boy bagger then.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #71
JaxObsessed
RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

Oddometer: 8,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

Keep plugging. Southern Colorado is VERY fun, but rocky and slower going. Shouldn't be much mud, but the babyheads beat you up a some. The easy riding begins after Del Norte. You could ride a Fat Boy bagger then.
True unless you have 2" of hail on the road, falling on your head, icing your banana and almonds. DAMHIC

Still wondering about Marty? Please respond.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #72
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Any updates on Marty?

This fucking breaks my heart.

Anywhere I can get updates?
We know he has his personal cell on him, and RFlagg has been checking in on him daily. He has MedJet Assist, so his bike and he should be in very capable hands. Also, his lifelong buddy, Jack AKA Jarlie, has been at his side.

He has been staying at the hospital in El Paso.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #73
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,404
We have had nothing but HOT and DRY until you guys showed up. Yay for the rain but boo for the NM mud. Going to stay wet for at least another couple of days it looks like. You should be in CO by then and our mud is a little bit friendlier. Good luck to you all.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #74
blaster11 OP
Fidus et Audax

Oddometer: 6,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Given your superweight motorcycles and lack of experience, you folks made great gains today! Maybe 180 miles. Bravo. That ain't easy in tough conditions like you saw. Ask any enduro racer. Heck, ask Bigdog himself!

The good thing is that some of you will be smitten by your attempt today and you will be back for more. But on much smaller mounts.

Try these trails a few times and we all default smaller when it comes to the motorcycle. Cheaper too...

I am pretty sure you don't know any of us so your first comments are a bit off base...nuff said. The likely hood of any us wanting a small bike to do this trip is almost zero. We prefer to ride every where we go and although a small bike would be easier to handle it really doesn't fit our riding style. I am quite sure that a little bike on a 3 week trip and covering 8200 miles really wouldn't work.

Thanks for the tips on Southern Colorado!

It has been raining her for the last couple of hours so we will most likely have to use a bypass tomorrow. More pictures to come later and today's report tomorrow morning.
Adventures of Blaster and Dorito
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #75
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,129

Stay safe and cool everyone.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote