ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
dewi64 OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 2
BMW system 6 sunvisor

I've been using the system 6 helmet for a while now, and although I'm not too happy with it, it cost me an arm and a leg and I can't afford to replace it.
My problem is that the sunvisor mechanism has become stuck on one side and the lever arm only drops down on the one side. Has anyone else experienced this? And what did you do to rectify or repair it? Is it possible to take the helmet appart and repair it myself or will I need to take it to a dealer?
Any help much appreciated.
Dewi
dewi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
capofarukgb
By OverLand
 
capofarukgb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Ace Cafe
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi64 View Post
I've been using the system 6 helmet for a while now, and although I'm not too happy with it, it cost me an arm and a leg and I can't afford to replace it.
My problem is that the sunvisor mechanism has become stuck on one side and the lever arm only drops down on the one side. Has anyone else experienced this? And what did you do to rectify or repair it? Is it possible to take the helmet appart and repair it myself or will I need to take it to a dealer?
Any help much appreciated.
Dewi
hello! I have the same problem and called SBW BMW dealer in Herts, they said there are no repair option and the warranty is out by a month so I will have to replace, as you said it cost an arm and a leg to buy : no fair I know but im still wondering if there is someone who would have come with a solution for this
capofarukgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
capofarukgb
By OverLand
 
capofarukgb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Ace Cafe
Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by capofarukgb View Post
hello! I have the same problem and called SBW BMW dealer in Herts, they said there are no repair option and the warranty is out by a month so I will have to replace, as you said it cost an arm and a leg to buy : no fair I know but im still wondering if there is someone who would have come with a solution for this
Just to update I took the helmet apart and bent back the two cables on feeding the mechanism and put the whole thing back and it's all good
capofarukgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
ladmilk
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Montreal, Qc, Canada.
Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by capofarukgb View Post
Just to update I took the helmet apart and bent back the two cables on feeding the mechanism and put the whole thing back and it's all good
If not too much asking…how did you do it, did you have access to a video or manual? I stopped at the 3 screws close form the sliding mechanism before breaking something, which I'm good at…but since I'm getting older, I learned to ask advice…thank you for your help.

Grateful Lad from Montreal
ladmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
kjc625
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: CA
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladmilk View Post
If not too much asking…how did you do it, did you have access to a video or manual? I stopped at the 3 screws close form the sliding mechanism before breaking something, which I'm good at…but since I'm getting older, I learned to ask advice…thank you for your help.

Grateful Lad from Montreal
Take 4th screw on the rear of the slide and separate the housing. You will see two wires probably tangled. Straighten the wires and put some oil on the wires. Put everything back together. Done.
kjc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
capofarukgb
By OverLand
 
capofarukgb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Ace Cafe
Oddometer: 80
Ladmilk have you done it yet? Please let me know if you still need the advice apologies I was away for a few months could not respond


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
One Life Live It
capofarukgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Wiebe
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 3
Hi! May I join in from Sweden and ask how I get access to the sun visor mechanism on my System 6 helmet? After removing the padding I can see four screws (T10 it seems) fixing the styrofoam shell inside the helmet. Are these four the only screws I need to remove to take the styrofoam shell out and get to the visor mechanism? Or are there more fasteners that need removing?
The sun visor apparently jammed when it was pushed up instead of pulled with the slider.
Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
mwood7800
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebe View Post
Hi! May I join in from Sweden and ask how I get access to the sun visor mechanism on my System 6 helmet? After removing the padding I can see four screws (T10 it seems) fixing the styrofoam shell inside the helmet. Are these four the only screws I need to remove to take the styrofoam shell out and get to the visor mechanism? Or are there more fasteners that need removing?
The sun visor apparently jammed when it was pushed up instead of pulled with the slider.
I have purchased 2 bmw helmets and both rattled apart
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:45 AM   #9
Wiebe
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by capofarukgb View Post
Just to update I took the helmet apart and bent back the two cables on feeding the mechanism and put the whole thing back and it's all good
How did you take the helmet apart, please? I have removed all the padding and I'm now down to the white styrofoam shell. There are four screws (with T10 heads) visible near the jaw opening. Do I need to remove them to get to the visor mechanism?
Are there any more screws other than these four that need to be removed?
Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Oddometer: 158
I've a C3 Pro now. From memory, you take out all 4 screws. Two are on the front, into the foam, and in a section covered by a black metal plate. I think the other two only hold the slider cover plate.

When you've taken out the screws, lift the front (cheeck) side just enough to be able to slide it forward, and downwards. This as it 'hooks' under the rest of the liner. Bending it too much can cause a part to break off. Guess how I would know.
Gompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
Wiebe
n00b
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewi64 View Post
I've been using the system 6 helmet for a while now, and although I'm not too happy with it, it cost me an arm and a leg and I can't afford to replace it.
My problem is that the sunvisor mechanism has become stuck on one side and the lever arm only drops down on the one side. Has anyone else experienced this? And what did you do to rectify or repair it? Is it possible to take the helmet appart and repair it myself or will I need to take it to a dealer?
Any help much appreciated.
Dewi
Hi! Since I have just had the same problem I'll respond even though your posting is several years old. The problem with the design of sun visor mechanism on the BMW System 6 helmet is that the two stainless steel wires that connect the slider control with the visor pivots are far too weak. With a diameter of only 0,5 mm the wires will buckle under compression where the cable run is unsupported for more than a few millimeters.
If the wires do buckle, the mechanism will jam and the only solution is to take the helmet apart completely and get a spare set of wires from BMW.
Compressing the wires will happen if one tries to open the visor by pushing the visor up instead of thumbing the slider control forward. The manual cautions against doing that (pushing the visor up) but folks seem to keep doing it regularly.
Taking the helmet apart is time consuming - allow a good couple of hours the first time. The only tool needed is a Torx size 10 screw diver.
I wish BMW would redsign the mechanism so as to keep the wires supported throughout their full run. BMW should offer that as a retrofit.
Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:49 AM   #12
Simonhantler
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Waiheke island New Zealand
Oddometer: 250
do you guys find your system 6 noisy?
__________________
RIDING IS THERAPY. GG 250 trials,ktm 250, 690, 990, HP2 E, husa FE570.
Simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer
 
birdie_xx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago,IL
Oddometer: 794
Which System 6 ?

Are you guys having problems with System 6 or System 6 Evo ?
If the first one, then I believe Schuberth (for BMW) did find the solution, as this was one of the improvements done to the Evo version, if I am not mistaken.
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014