ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
Cheers on the build, when I was a kid my dad bought a bunch of vanagons, one a syncro.

Some good things, some bad. He successfully battled VW on two engines (goop in the cap nuts). But quite a few road trips were had that the VW did something catastrophic, I can see why you'd want a different plant.

From the passenger's perspective however, these things are a bit of a death trap. Examples. Roof mounted AC channel fell off and smacked the brother in the head while traveling down a flat relatively smooth highway.

Rearward facing seats decided to dislodge randomly. Battery burnt in its tray.

Rear heater vent duct on middle person's feet causing extreme discomfort while others are comfortable warm.

VOMITING DUE TO WIND BUFFETTING. Might just be me, but I have been car sick in more VW Vans than any other vehicle by atleast a 10 or 15 to 1 ratio. No issues before we got the van, nor since we got rid of it. But I have had trips with 11 vomits. I never experienced this while driving however, so my lesson is, no Passangers are to be allowed to ride in the back on windy days unless dosed w/ dramamine.

Yeah some suspension modifications, new shocks and larger wheels go a long way in creating a better ride.

I have quite a few modifications planned both inside and outside. Can't wait to get going!

Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude
 
Mr. Vintage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 849
Cool, I'm tuned in. I have a '85 2WD Weekender with an EJ22 and I love it. Where in EastWa are you? I could come and offer unsolicited advice on your swap....
__________________
- Jeff (Mr. Vintage) -
Quota, SL350, MW250, MT250, CT90
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage View Post
Cool, I'm tuned in. I have a '85 2WD Weekender with an EJ22 and I love it. Where in EastWa are you? I could come and offer unsolicited advice on your swap....

I'm in Tri-cities Wa. Shoot me a message if your down this way :-)

Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #19
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
WOW, they are doing some serious traveling with their bus. Very cool! Thanks for the link!

Hodakaguy
It's a great story, but it makes me wonder why in the world anyone would want one of these things.

Talk about glutton for punishment.

I'll be following your build.

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer
 
AtlantaViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hotlanta
Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
It's a great story, but it makes me wonder why in the world anyone would want one of these things.

Talk about glutton for punishment.

I'll be following your build.

Jamie
Being a dreamer and always having a special place in my heart for Westys - its a packaging thing. These buggers are just ingenious. Think about it - how many vehicles do you know that are the same size as an medium sedan and can sleep up to 4. You still get the 'tent camping' feel with the pop top but in a somewhat more civilized way. Plus a fridge, burner, and sink. I think they're prohibitively expensive these days but if I could ever find a deal on one....man the fun to be had!
__________________
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubble gum

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #21
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
Being a dreamer and always having a special place in my heart for Westys - its a packaging thing. These buggers are just ingenious. Think about it - how many vehicles do you know that are the same size as an medium sedan and can sleep up to 4. You still get the 'tent camping' feel with the pop top but in a somewhat more civilized way. Plus a fridge, burner, and sink. I think they're prohibitively expensive these days but if I could ever find a deal on one....man the fun to be had!
Yeah.. they are very cool... but I agree they are CRAZY expensive for a decent lower-mileage one...

I've been thinking: we just got our daughter a Honda Element... Ursa Minor makes the Ecamper...

This is a tempting option...

Honda reliability... All wheel drive... no built in kitchen/fridge etc.. but, if you think the VW's 'Weekender' is cool, this is a great option...

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #22
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Yeah.. they are very cool... but I agree they are CRAZY expensive for a decent lower-mileage one...

I've been thinking: we just got our daughter a Honda Element... Ursa Minor makes the Ecamper...

This is a tempting option...

Honda reliability... All wheel drive... no built in kitchen/fridge etc.. but, if you think the VW's 'Weekender' is cool, this is a great option...

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/


Thats a cool setup. There are a couple expedition outfitting sites that sell awesome vehicle roof tents, racks etc.

Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #23
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post
Being a dreamer and always having a special place in my heart for Westys - its a packaging thing. These buggers are just ingenious. Think about it - how many vehicles do you know that are the same size as an medium sedan and can sleep up to 4. You still get the 'tent camping' feel with the pop top but in a somewhat more civilized way. Plus a fridge, burner, and sink. I think they're prohibitively expensive these days but if I could ever find a deal on one....man the fun to be had!
Yep, basically a motorhome that turns on a dime, gets reasonable gas mileage and can still be driven down town in busy cities. There are still some great deals to be had if you watch Craigslist etc. I purchased mine by seeing it parked in a drive way and just pulling in and knocking on their door, I asked if she would sell it and she said yes!

Here's a couple interior shots. The rear bench folds flat into a bed, it also lifts up and has storage underneath. The table pivots out, the fridge is a 3-way unit...almost big enough to put something in lol.






Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
Tweaker
...
 
Joined: May 2002
Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Yep, basically a motorhome that turns on a dime, gets reasonable gas mileage and can still be driven down town in busy cities. There are still some great deals to be had if you watch Craigslist etc. I purchased mine by seeing it parked in a drive way and just pulling in and knocking on their door, I asked if she would sell it and she said yes!

Here's a couple interior shots. The rear bench folds flat into a bed, it also lifts up and has storage underneath. The table pivots out, the fridge is a 3-way unit...almost big enough to put something in lol.






Hodakaguy
I have to admit, that beats hell out of the '71 Westphalia I used to live in.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #25
TEXASYETI
Call me "thread killer!"
 
TEXASYETI's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
WOW, they are doing some serious traveling with their bus. Very cool! Thanks for the link!

Hodakaguy
I know, they are really taking a nice roadtrip.

Crazy how they spent so much getting ready with the fresh water system, electrical system redo, etc., but have had so many mechanical problems on the road.
__________________
BobFV1 to Putts: "Congrats on the bike. Also, congrats on having a dog with a perfectly heart-shaped asshole."

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #26
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,434
FYI:

http://www.thebuslab.com/index.html

I see about 12-20 VW buses/Vanagons parked in their yard for service/repair/conversions. I am not sure if they sell or consign, maybe, but they have parts. FWIW my friend wants to sell his '81 air-cooled Westy style van, 98k, with 40k on a rebuild - ($3700 if interested) but it really is so pitifully underpowered, getting its gluttonous 18 mpg, that it begs for a Subaru conversion.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #27
JAB
Unsprung Weight
 
JAB's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Beautiful Monrovia
Oddometer: 1,236
If you were going to rehab the electric windows, maybe these folks will have the bits you need.

http://www.flandersco.com/action.las...gory=CablePart

Good luck and have fun.
__________________
1991 Honda XR628R
1978 Yamaha XT500
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #28
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer
 
Mambo Dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: 11 ft. AMSL
Oddometer: 5,161
I'm looking at that kitchen in the pictures, and wondering - this may be me just not sensing the scale here, but are Westfalias made more for people of shorter stature? Obviously space is a concern, but if that stove top and sink are as short as they seem, my back would go out in trying to use 'em.

Neat set-up, for sure, but at some point a Coleman white-gas stove, outside on a picnic table, can be far more comfortable than some more cramped set-ups.
__________________
"After reading through this thread I've come to the conclusion
that more people cruise the internet looking for reasons why
X bike won't work in Y scenario rather than actually riding
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #29
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
If you were going to rehab the electric windows, maybe these folks will have the bits you need.

http://www.flandersco.com/action.las...gory=CablePart

Good luck and have fun.
Thanks for the link, I think I've collected everything I need to fix the regs from my local hardware store. Once both manual regs are in and working I'll rehab the electrics and sell them as a set to someone wanting electric windows.

Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #30
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm looking at that kitchen in the pictures, and wondering - this may be me just not sensing the scale here, but are Westfalias made more for people of shorter stature? Obviously space is a concern, but if that stove top and sink are as short as they seem, my back would go out in trying to use 'em.

Neat set-up, for sure, but at some point a Coleman white-gas stove, outside on a picnic table, can be far more comfortable than some more cramped set-ups.
It's really not as bad as it looks, I'm 6'1" tall and I can use the kitchen without a problem. I carry a Jet boil in one of the cabinets for heating water...a lot faster if you only need hot water.

Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014