Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #76
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Mine fits the description quite nicely...
I'd say it fits the description perfectly.

A sport tourer can be pretty much any bike out there if it's sporty and you like riding it long distances.

With all the talk about the Norge, the 1200 Sport deserves a mention as it shares the same chassis, tank and running gear, but with an emphasis on sport with the Marchesini wheels and other bits and pieces.
The same 6.1 gallon tank that gives it huge range...

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #77
Beemerhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Great LIGHT sport-tourer.
Beemerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #78
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderdoc View Post
Great LIGHT sport-tourer.
For me that is about the right size....and I really like the bags. Even tried to figure out how to jury rig them to my 800 VFR.

Frankly I have almost as much fun on my sport TTTTouring 1800 Wing especially if the corners are really tight............not so much in the high speed sweepers (Need some $$$ for upgraded suspension).
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #79
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
What do you consider it, then?

Mine fits the description quite nicely...

Nice set up. Mine is all red. No bags tho. I guess I never thought of setting mine up for touring. What's the longest trip you've taken on your rig? Would you take yours across country?
ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #80
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
Nice set up. Mine is all red. No bags tho. I guess I never thought of setting mine up for touring. What's the longest trip you've taken on your rig? Would you take yours across country?
Longest trip on the Nero Corsa was 4500 miles. In Septemeber 2006, I rode it from Manassas Virginia to Moab Utah to Italy Texas, then back home to Arkansas.

2008, I rode it to Santa Fe 775 miles in 12 hours. Spent a long weekend there riding, then rode home in 13 hours. 2300 mile long weekend.

Another 4000+ mile trip from Arkansas to Colorado, for a week of riding, then back to Arkansas in June 2009.

In 2009, I rode the Colorado Classic 1000 and the SPANK Arkansas Edition 24hr Rally on the bike.

In 2010, I rode 2-up with trailer 2100 miles to New Mexico and back to Arkansas.

Amidst those trips, there have been lots of 700 mile weekend campout rides, and quite a few 700 to 900 mile days.

It works.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #81
AbqDave
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I've toured a bit (600 mile days) on an r12r, a k100, and a dyna.

The r12 worked out very well. There is more wind protection than you think because of the shape of the tank, a small windscreen is all you need. Your hands are out in the weather but heated grips make that ok. Good gas mileage on just about any kind of gas. It is more stable than you would expect given its weight. I think the orientation of the engine gives it a gyroscopic effect. The brakes and suspension are to die for. It's hard on the booty though. You can haul tons of stuff. Not at all good for two up. For a solo touring bike that's a blast in the twisties, it's hard to beat. I'm 5'7" and found the seat height to be quite manageable. Hate how much it costs but that was a great bike.

AbqDave screwed with this post 07-04-2012 at 09:10 PM
AbqDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #82
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Huoa! Obviously V11 Lemans is a much more capable work horse than I give it credit for.. Any breakdowns on any of those trips? Mine had a transmission stuck in 1st gear one time due to a faulty spring inside the gear box. Easy but messy job for the replacement of a lousy spring. No issues after that tho.

Quote:
Longest trip on the Nero Corsa was 4500 miles. In Septemeber 2006, I rode it from Manassas Virginia to Moab Utah to Italy Texas, then back home to Arkansas.

2008, I rode it to Santa Fe 775 miles in 12 hours. Spent a long weekend there riding, then rode home in 13 hours. 2300 mile long weekend.

Another 4000+ mile trip from Arkansas to Colorado, for a week of riding, then back to Arkansas in June 2009.

In 2009, I rode the Colorado Classic 1000 and the SPANK Arkansas Edition 24hr Rally on the bike.

In 2010, I rode 2-up with trailer 2100 miles to New Mexico and back to Arkansas.

Amidst those trips, there have been lots of 700 mile weekend campout rides, and quite a few 700 to 900 mile days.

It works.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:01 AM   #83
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
I had that shift return spring break in Oklahoma one time. 300 miles from home, on the way to meet some guys for lunch.

The bike was stuck in 5th gear, so I continued on to lunch, then rode home.

Oh, I had a passenger and a cargo trailer.

Luckily, not much stopping and starting on the way home, just took it real easy.

Easy fix when I got back home, thanks to the preselector pack being on the inside of the transmission access cover.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #84
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S. View Post
I have been riding an FZ6R for 2 years now and it is awesome for sport-touring. Less than 500 pounds with plenty of power, even when loaded with gear. I recently did a 7 day, 3K mile trip from Texas to the Tail of the Dragon, down to Florida and back to Texas, loaded with gear and the bike performed flawlessly and never once did I want more power, even up and down the mountains. I too am 5'9" and stand perfectly flat footed on the 6R but I have a 32" inseam. I can't speak to how well it will tour 2-up but there are lots of people who use them 2-up with no complaints.

Just know that someone will reply with "The FZ6R is nothing compared to the FZ6!!!" For some reason that's a pretty hot issue, not sure why. :) When I was shopping I also rode a 650R Ninja and a Suzuki GSX650F. I think any of those three will do great as sport-touring mounts, contrary to some opinions. I've learned that typically those opinions come from people who have never toured on them.

Hell the new Ninja 650 has a few changes for 2012 specifically suited to sport-touring. I've also read many reports of people touring on a Versys. The beauty of all those bikes is that they are very cheap to purchase (even new) leaving lots of money for gear and traveling.

My .02 cents.
well said - most 600's are all the bike most of us will ever need...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #85
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
well said - most 600's are all the bike most of us will ever need...

Since when has what we need had anything to do with what motorcycle we ride?
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #86
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,019
Hayabusa with Heli Bars, Gel Seat, Double Bubble Screen, and a set of Beatle bags.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #87
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ducati ST3, ST4 & ST2

I've always wondered about Duc ST's as long distance mounts. They seem to fit well with sport touring. Just don't know what they'd be like on multi-week rides. Dealer network and frequency of maintenance could be an issue?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #88
thenation
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
I've always wondered about Duc ST's as long distance mounts. They seem to fit well with sport touring. Just don't know what they'd be like on multi-week rides. Dealer network and frequency of maintenance could be an issue?
I have an ST4. Longest trip I have been on is only 5 days with another ST4s, no problems with the bikes though they're both 10 years old now. Great handling, good fuel range (21l tank) though you might want the ducati performance comfort seat ($$) or the ST3 seat (less $$). Minor service at 6k mi and major at 12k so an extended trip would indeed rack up costs in a hurry.

thenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #89
CvFactor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I like my SV650. I took it on a 5000 mile trip from Michigan to the north rim of the Grand Canyon up through Utah to Yellowstone and back home. The best addition is highway pegs which allows me to stretch my legs when they get fatigued. Great lightweight bike for touring solo.
CvFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #90
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey, I like your minimalist set up. Especially like your highway pegs! Not many sport tourers have that feature. Vast improvement to ride quality on straits where most of riding is done for most of us mileage wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvFactor View Post
I like my SV650. I took it on a 5000 mile trip from Michigan to the north rim of the Grand Canyon up through Utah to Yellowstone and back home. The best addition is highway pegs which allows me to stretch my legs when they get fatigued. Great lightweight bike for touring solo.