User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
pmelby OP
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Big Horns Rideout

Spending a few weeks at my dear Mom's place in the southern Black Hills. Took Friday and Saturday off for a rideout to the Big Horns to ride the passes and see the country.

This will be the first trip on the new '10 Multistrada 1200. Been really looking forward to getting this bike onto the mountain roads here in the west.

Friday morning, ran west from Custer, SD to Newcastle, then north to Devils tower:

Worked my way west to Gillette and stopped for lunch at Pokey's, good plate of smoked brisket & beans. Crossed over the southern Big Horns on US16 at Powder River Pass, hit some construction on the west side of the pass but otherwise was a good run over the mountains.

Stopped for a couple of beers at the Ten Sleep saloon then ran the back roads up toward Hyatville and on to Greybull. Located my planned lodgings then proceeded east up US14 to Shell and up to Granite pass. Reversed course back down to Greybull and parked the bike for the day, about 450 miles on the GPS, nice day of running with a pretty steady NW breeze, temps in the 50s in the passes and low 80s in the Big Horn basin.

Packing light on this trip, just riding gear and a change of clothes, all easily fit in a pelican top case. Left the hotel at 7am and headed north out of Greybull toward Lovell, biscuits & gravy for breakfast and Lange's Kitchen in Lovell. Then ran up US14A to Burgess Jct. Was a beautiful morning with temps in the low 40s in the basin but warming up as I gained elevation.

Enjoyed this climb except for the cow dung on the road:

Spectacular morning with perfect riding conditions, little to no wind, perfect temps for riding geared up:

The mutly is all I could ask for in a bike for these mountain passes, superlative power and handling:

The run down the east side of the Big Horns toward Sheridan was equally spectacular, no pics as I was enjoying the ride too much to stop. Bypassed Sheridan and went north through Decker, MT up to US212 and then east, stopping for lunch in Broadus, MT. After lunch, it made a high speed run (6th gear, 90+) run down to Bell Fourche, then back to Mom's via Spearfish Canyon, US85 to Newcastle, US16 to Custer.

Great first trip, 950 miles over two days of riding with a good mix of tight twisty mountains and open roads. Saw lots of country but everything is very dry. Fires still burning in the Cheyenne Res and lots of evidence of previous fires along US212.

Cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT

pmelby screwed with this post 09-23-2012 at 03:39 PM Reason: typo
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
pmelby OP
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Here's a map of my route:

View Big Horns Rideout in a larger map

Made a tactical error on my ride from Greybull back toward home, saw that there was a town name Decker, just across the state line, north of Sheridan. Planned on gassing up there then continuing north to join US212 then southeast back to SD. The town of Decker had three operating coal mines and nothing else. Ended up running on fumes to Lame Deer and fueling up there, 5.124gal to fill the mutly, pretty much the listed tank capacity. 35 years of riding, almost ran out of gas for the first time.

Did some research on the forest fire situation, seems that the Aug 3 fires in the area almost forced the evacuation of Lame Deer. There was evidence of burned out businesses and dwellings along US212, pretty nasty looking.

...crap, can't get the googlemaps route display to work.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT

pmelby screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 07:08 PM
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Osadabwa
Don't be Surprised

Oddometer: 192
Thumb Big Horn Beauty

Hey Melby,

The Big Horns are the Hills 'O-Me-Youth. I grew up in Worland, bought big jawbreakers at Dirty Sally's in Ten Sleep as a kid, skied and snowmobiled there by Meadowlark Lake, hiked and flyfished around Cloud Peak etc. Used to ride mountain bikes (pedal power) over on the other pass outside Greybull. You pretty much did a loop of my entire young life. Glad you enjoyed it!

I have never ridden a motorbike there... someday I gotta remedy that omission. I bet that Ducatti was a blast on the switchbacks!
I used to have a link to my African rides in my signature line, but every time I check it doesn't work. So, if you want to see Kilimanjaro, the Kilombero Valley, a bunch of short trips around Dar and another long one to Mozambique: go to my profile.
Osadabwa is offline   Reply With Quote