User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Turtle's Blue Ridge Trail Ride Report 6/22-6/27

I'm not very good at this sort of thing but I promised Error Cooled so here goes.

Pre-trip planning:

I had originally gotten the files for the BRT (http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632804) from EC last fall but had never gotten around to tackling it. Fast forward to a month or so ago and my buddy Dave (35xj) asked me if I wanted to give it ago and I jumped at the chance. We would be joined by his dad Bob (scbob) and Bob's friend Anthony (Chiknmunky) who I only knew would be using a homemade trailer to haul his gear. I must admit I was very, very apprehensive about this based on what I'd heard about certain sections of the trail but I'm not going to tell him he can't do it. Bob and Anthony live in Greenville, SC, Dave's in Asheville and I live in Greensboro so our joint planning sessions consisted of a few PM's and 2 phone calls that ultimately resulted in a "let's just show up and see what happens" plan. We didn't plan out campgrounds before hand and hopped to average 150 miles a day M, T, &W headed north and 250 miles each on Thur & Friday.

I'd gotten the updated files from EC just prior to going on a family vacation to the beach for a week so I didn't get a chance to really study the files as much as I'd liked to. I actually came back from vacation a few days early to finalize everything before leaving. Using my Garmin Zumo 350 & Basecamp I was able to create the route I wanted and add them to the memory card on my GPS. Friday evening everything seemed fine until I actually tried to pull up the files on the unit itself. Oddly enough they weren't there even though they showed up once I plugged it back into Basecamp. I stayed up till about 4am trying to get things sorted with no resolution. I spoke to Dave on Sat to see if he had managed to get the route set up on his I-phone but he wasn't able to figure it out either. I ended up having to open each of the saved routes and remove 75% of the waypoints, save it to the internal memory of the GPS and then open the file on the GPS and then save it to the memory card. Suffice to say this was a huge pain in the ass and I wasn't able to finish and verify everything until about 7pm on Sat which was less than 24hrs from the time I was set to depart. Up until this time I honestly thought we might have to call the entire trip off.

Then there was the debate of which bike to take. EC and most others suggest taking the smallest bike you have but I was torn between my Husky TE511 (250# street legal enduro) or my Husky TR650 Terra (400# 50/50 bike). While I knew there would be certain sections of the route that the small bike would be much easier to ride I also knew that this would really only be maybe 50-100 miles in total. I would wait until a day or so before leaving to make the final decision based on how much rain the area of Damascus received prior to our departure. If I expected muddy conditions on Iron Mtn I would truck the TE to Damascus but if it looked dry I would ride the loaded Terra there on Sunday, camp for the night and meet the boys Mon. morning to really start the trip. Thankfully the weather held up and I made the decision to take the Terra. Originally I had soft bags on it but I sold them and replaced them with Givi Trekker hard bags. I knew soft was the way to go so I picked up a couple of used ALICE packs from the local Army surplus store for $10 each. These lacked the internal frame and shoulder straps but had enough other straps that I was able to mount them to my side racks without any modification at all. They aren't waterproof but thankfully I already had a few dry stuff sacks to put inside. I did manage to scrape them on a few trees and rocks but they worked flawlessly and the price was right.

I also debated on wearing enduro gear or my Klim Latitude suit in case it rained. I went with the heavier jacket and pants and hoped I make the right call.

Not the best pic but here's the shot I have of the ALICE packs (credit 35xj for the photo):

(distance + time)/shitty beer = what?
2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511

turtlemoye screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 08:17 AM
turtlemoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Day .5, Sunday 6/22

My plan was to slab it to the Gaylax, VA area and pick up the last leg where you get off the BRP and head west into Damascus. Due to the amount of time I spent working on the gps files I was way behind schedule and didn't end up leaving the house till about 5pm which I thought would still give me time to make it to Damascus and check into a hostile.

After spending several days prepping my bike for the ride (air box mod, oil & filter changes, etc) right before I leave I discovered what I think is a missing motor mount bolt. Already running late I make the decision to hit the road and deal with it later, knowing it wasn't to best decision but I just had to get on the road.

Heading up HWY 52 north of Winston Salem traffic comes to an abrupt stop as there must be an accident or breakdown of some sort. A few seconds later I see a fellow motorcyclist laying in the fast lane with someone stabilizing his neck. I only saw one car stopped on the side of the road in our direction of travel but several traveling south had stopped and crossed the guard rail to help. It obviously just happened as EMS had yet to arrive. Running late and having no medical training I continued on but it was an unpleasant sight 40 miles into an 1100 mile trip.

I made it to Lowe's in Mt Airy and with the help of fellow inmate and TR650 owner Ridingdonkeys via phone we determined what size bolt I needed to replace the missing motor mount. Thankfully I was able to find a lower quality of bolt than I wanted but it did fit so problem temporarily solved but this meant I was now even further behind schedule.

I hit a great road that takes you from Mt Airy to the BRP called Old Pipers Gap Rd. It's nice and twisty and runs through really thick tree cover but sadly was really damaged by snow scrapers this past winter. My rear tire was all over the place, so much so that I stopped twice just to make sure it wasn't flat but thankfully it was just the groves that had been cut into the asphalt.

At the top of Pipers Gap I was officially on the BRT just in time to hit the rain. The route through here was a nice section of dirt/gravel roads and those nice twisty one lane paved roads VA has so many of. While they were fun I seriously considered jumping on HWY 58 as it would have been much faster and I could tell it wasn't raining there. Seriously, for almost this entire stretch it wasn't raining 100 feet to my left but I continued to soldier on. The rain finally let up right before sunset but that meant those nice twisty roads were now covered in deer leading to a few close calls.

This is the last I would see of the sun on Sun.

About 30 miles shy of Damascus I stumbled upon this campground about 9:30 and decided to call it a night. Nice campground with good facilities but pricy compared to other NPS campgrounds at $22.

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511

turtlemoye screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 09:41 AM
Old 06-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 1, Mon 6/23

Day 1 Monday 6/23

I got up at sunrise which is pretty rare for me, grabbed a shower, and slowly packed up camp. Getting into town I decided to grab a decent breakfast at "In The Country".

Breakfast was very good( bacon, eggs, grits, and a biscuit) and was about $9. I noticed there was also a gas station with a grill serving biscuits that was cheaper and popular with the local but can't recall the name but it's at the base of Iron Mtn.

A friend of a friend who has a small place in town agreed to let Dave and Bob leave their trucks there. After picking up a 6 pack of Duck Rabbit Milk Stout as a thank you gift we meet there and geared up.

After a few wrong turns I finally found 4th st and the ride was on. I tried to get video of the Iron Mtn section but my gopro was acting up. This section was a blast but other than Dave temporarily losing his gas cap, Bob having an off on a FS road, me losing the front end on a muddy off camber section, and running into 3 guys heading south into Damascus (thebugslayer & crew) it proved to be uneventful. Even with my "bigger" bike and Anthony's trailer we had no issues.

Bob coming down a section on Iron Mtn:

Here's an unedited 21 min video from Iron Mtn:

Not long after exiting the Iron Mtn section Anthony had a flat due to a nail he picked up in his rear tire and also told us he had no rear brake as all of the fluid has leaked out. Due to nothing other than what I'll call dumbassity we had 3 front tubes and no rears ( Dave was running tubeless) between us. Anthony made pretty quick work of getting the 21" tube in his 18" rear tire and thankfully was the only one smart enough to bring a compressor and we were soon off.

From this point forward all I can really remember is flats and frustration. Not too long after cramming the oversized tube in it was flat again. After checking the inside of the tire they determined he must have pinched the oversized tube during installation. Mind you he had stated and I quote " I've never pinched a tube before" and I failed to bring the other piece of my Baja No Pinch Tool. So now they are forced into patching a tube but I honestly can't recall which one. Anthony's glue is dried out but thankfully Bob has some. I'll admit I was hesitant to offer my only spare tube as it's still only the first day. I'll also admit both Dave and I are starting to get frustrated with the delays. This one takes quite a bit longer than the first but eventually we are off again. I'm not sure what time it is but we had reluctantly agreed to skip lunch as we had ample time to snack and wanted to make up time.

Maybe an hour or so down the road I stumbled upon a little old country store but when I stop only Dave is with me. What the hell? We were all together a few mins ago. I decided to grab something cold to drink inside and wait for the others. This place was a really cool old general store that was stuffed to the gills with all kinds of stuff. Between the group I know we bought locktite, break fluid, a patch kit, a plug kit for Dave, a jar of crunchy peanut butter, a couple gallons of water and several Gatorades. Dave rode back to find the others only a mile or so back where they were dealing with Anthony's 3rd flat of the day. They are patching the rear this time which took either 4-5 patches. It was determined that when it initially went flat he must have pinched it several times as he rode it on the rim before pulling over. This one takes well over an hour and thankfully we were beside of a creek and were able to use it to find all the leaks. Mine and Dave's frustration level was very high and there was even a mention of how much more can we take before ditching him in private. I know that sounds harsh but remember this wasn't an old riding buddy but someone whom we'd never meet before and was jeopardizing our goal. While we did our best to keep our frustration hidden Anthony of course was dealing with his own. Due to us being severely behind schedule we didn't stop very often for pics.

The store was in the town of Cripple Creek. Once you turn left on Cripple Creek road stay to the left at the next fork and the store will be on your right. https://www.google.com/maps/dir//36....m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Somewhere up on Walker Mtn.

We only managed to go about 110 miles the first day, well below our goal of 150-175. We got off Big Walker Mtn at dusk and headed down 52 to Stoney Fork Campground. Much better value at $12 per site per night. We splurged and got 2 sites, then I headed into Wythville to pick up some beer . While I was there I also grabbed something from Taco Hell while the boys made camp meals. Dave was nice enough to make coffee and oatmeal for everyone the next morning. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.0...m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511

turtlemoye screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 02:54 PM
Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 2, Tues 6/22

After Dave made everyone coffee and oatmeal we hit the road about 9am and picked up the route where we left off the day before. As most everyone has mentioned the ride down into Burkes Garden was absolutely beautiful but somehow I missed the infamous Pepsi sign as we rode into town. After descending Round Mtn instead of continuing the route by turning turning right on 52 we turned left to get gas up the road. Somehow as we were leaving the store out of the corner of my eye I see a sign for a small motorcycle repair business that was thankfully on the route. He mostly works on Harleys and ATVs so while we didn't hold our breath we stopped in. I didn't get his name but the guy was very nice and happened to have 2 18" tubes that we happily purchased. He came out front to check out our bikes and was interested in our trip. While I doubt he's been trained to work on a new KTM I'm guessing he could be a valuable resource for anyone having a mechanical issue in that area.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.1...m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Next up was Hogback Mtn which is home to some amazing views and mud holes big enough to swallow a large 4x4.

After playing in the dirt for a while we turned off the route by making a left onto HWY 460 to grab lunch and gas in Pembroke, VA. We ate at a decent little Mexican restaurant and after filling our bellies we went across the street to fill out tanks. While sitting at the pump we notice Anthony now has his 4th rear flat of the trip. We had all pretty much gotten over the flat issues from the day before when one of the patches finally gave way. The entire time I kept telling myself it could happen to anyone and didn't let this one bother me much. We find a store across the street which provided a little shade and thankfully this time we actually had a new tube so we were back in business within about 20-30mins. A local rider stopped by in his pickup and offered us a hand but our crew had it under control at that point. Across the street we noticed a DRZ and a Tiger ( I think) that were loaded down and were getting gas at the station we had stopped at earlier. Still running behind schedule we didn't take the time to go back across the street but based on tracks we saw on future sections I believe they may have been riding the route the opposite direction.

Somewhere along Bald Mountain I bottomed out my fork and slammed into a nice sharp rock which resulted in a pinch flat for me about 20 mins after it happened. Thankfully it was a front and I had a tube. It was about this time that I was really regretting not helping Anthony with all his flat issues but truthfully he was more than capable and I would have been in his way. While I'm certainly capable of changing my own Dave knew he likely had the most experience and he and Bob quickly stepped in to help make the job that much faster. Within 15 mins we were rolling again.

I think it was also along this section or maybe Potts Mtn that Dave had to give me a hand when I got stuck in the mud by trying to avoid the actual puddle.

We rolled into Covington about 8pm and having no clue where to camp we decided to again fill our tanks and bellies and grab a hotel. We hit the local Applebee's after searching for bearings for Anthony's trailer and a few bits to fix my brake light. Finding a decent priced hotel proved to be more difficult and we eventually settled here.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/420+...d37.794266!1m0

It was managed by a very nice Indian fellow who was amazed at our journey and gave us a good price on the rooms at $62 each. As we were planning to camp neither Dave nor Bob brought any kind of lock and since they were riding pure dirt bikes we had to get creative in how we parked them. if we could have gotten ground floor rooms we would have just rolled them inside but that wasn't an option. The proprietor went out to his car and returned with a piece of cable to help us further secure the bikes. Mind you this was at about 10:30-11pm at night and he was already in his pajamas. He stayed outside with me as I jerry rigged a fix for my brake light telling me about how he used to ride a Royal Enfield back in college. I finished off the better part of a 6 pack, took 2 benadryl to help me sleep and hit the bed about midnight. Total mileage for the day about 210 so we were back on track.

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511

turtlemoye screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 08:34 AM
Old 07-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
400psi
Cropdusting

Oddometer: 425
Nice report! The trail looks fun. I was following along with Dave's texts during the ride. Nice to see the pics that go with
Pete
Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400psi View Post
Nice report! The trail looks fun. I was following along with Dave's texts during the ride. Nice to see the pics that go with
Pete
Thanks for being our unofficial 5th member by providing updates while we were on the road. Hopefully I'll get the rest of the report posted today.

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
Old 07-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
scbob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Turtle spent a huge amount of time upfront to put all this together on his GPS
He also ran "point" the whole way, and took all the risks for deer and oncoming traffic
He was a great ride leader, once we got him going in the morning - ha ha

But seriously, thanks Turtle for doing all the hard work to make this ride a success

Anthony did a great job with the repeated punctures, always taking the opportunity for a smoke each time !!!!!
And it was great for me, being the "old-timer" - it gave me a chance for a break, a rest to get my breath back.

This was a great route with some pretty challenging single track (for me anyway), some great double track, some washed out making them a little difficult, and some gravel. We were really flying at times !!

Thanks to EC also for all his work - we'll do it again next year.
scbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 3, Wed 6/25

We agreed to meet in the lot to depart at 7:45. Anthony rode off to find some bearing for his trailer (just in case) and by about 8am we made the short ride to Hardee's for breakfast. I'm the large fellow checking my tire pressure in the foreground.

After filling our bellies and our camelbacks with ice water we were off. As I may or may not have pointed out I was the only one with the GPS files so I was leading the group. We picked up the route exactly where we had left off the night before at the BP station on HWY 60. I keep looking for Miller street (to connect to Dolly Ann Dr) but didn't realize the parking lot for the BP station is actually part of Miller St. Eventually we were off.

The next section of FS roads were really fun and I think it was on Limekiln Rd (or maybe Smith Creek Rd) where I hit 62mph on a dirt road along a ridge line. It was a blast but pretty foolish considering I had missed hitting a deer by inches at speed just earlier in the day. After about an hour we came upon HWY 39. As I stopped at the stop sign to regroup I was happy that we had done just over 30 miles at a good pace without stopping. I don't think Bob had done many consecutive 10 hours day in the saddle of his KTM. Even with the aftermarket seat I can confirm it's not a comfortable bike to ride for hours and hours on end, add to that he's also 60+ years old so suffice to say he needed a break. While the others would have preferred to keep going we pulled into the parking lot of an abandoned business and it's a good thing we did.

I mentioned earlier (and you can see in an earlier photo) that Anthony was pulling a trailer. It's his homemade clone of a Motomule and it was performing flawlessly up till this point. It was fun to ride behind him and watch it bounce around and drift through the corners. Well once stopped Anthony noticed that part of the frame of the trailer had snapped clean in two. Here's Dave surveying the damage:

This was a pretty major set back as we all considered the various tools we had on hand and realized this was a much more severe issue than we could fix with tape, zip ties, and JB Weld. Anthony was already considering splitting off from the group at some point to visit some family he had in VA and decided to call it a day as there was no way he could ride off road with the broken frame. His plan was to look for a welder in the first little town he found but we had other plans. I set off looking for a welder while the other guys set off fixing it the best they could. Remarkably I was able to find a body shop just about 4 miles down the road who said he would take care of it pretty quickly. Ecstatic I went back to let everyone know and this is what I saw when I returned. If you look just to the right of the bottom of the hose clamp you can see the break in the steel tube. The hose clamp is pulling the horizontal tubes together while the wire turnbuckle pulls the vertical tubes together. A pretty damn impressive trail repair if you ask me.

Location of the body shop with welder: https://www.google.com/maps/dir//38....m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

And here's what it looked like after the welder:

Surprisingly the entire process from discovery, trail side repair, to welding completion took exactly an hour and we were off again. After this we hit a few dusty gravel roads. Well, they weren't dusty to me but I felt really bad for the 3 guys behind me as they were literally eating my dust for at least a solid hour. It was also in this stretch that Anthony and I saw a bobcat running down the trail. I came around a corner and stopped about 20 feet away from it and was able to point it out to Anthony. We just stood there and watched it run maybe 100 feet down the FS road before darting off into the woods. The previous day both Anthony and I has seen separate bears but this was only the second time I'd seen a bobcat in the wild. Shortly after this Anthony said I rode within 4 feet of a deer that was standing on the side of the road but I never saw him as I was already looking through the next turn.

Here's a suggestion that I don't think has been mentioned in other ride reports or pinned on the route it self. While on Reddish Knob Rd (FSR 85) take the short turn off up to the top of Reddish Knob Spur for a 360* view of the surrounding area. https://www.google.com/maps/dir//38....m3!1m0!1m0!3e0

My travel mates:

The whole gang:

We stopped for gas in Brandywine, WV and ate lunch at Fox's Pizza. I knew the food was pretty good and that they had Wi-Fi from eating there during an ADV rally a month or so earlier called Camp Cow Crap IV. Although we had already done 100 miles for the day Dave seamed disappointed by our progress and was looking at cutting off the northern most part of the route to save a bit of time. I disagreed and it seemed as like we wasted about 30-45 mins debating where we were going to camp. With little more accomplished then wasting time (in my eyes) we were off again.

Somewhere between Brandywine & Bergton it was Dave's turn for a flat. He runs a nice tubeless system on his Berg and tried to fill it with Slime. That only held up for maybe 30 mins before he had to plug it on the side of the road, in the rain, with the plug kit we scored at the general store in Cripple Creek on day one. Here's a pic of the plug at the end of the journey:

As you can see that tire is toast. Another thing about his tubeless system is it caused his wheel to be way out of balance. He had previously tried to balance it using a LOT of weight but it was still so out of round that it was actually causing his wheel bearings to go bad.

We eventually made it into the town of Bergton, VA and stopped to make a decision on where to camp. It was about 5:30 and I just wanted to keep going as we were close to the end (Front Royal) and camp somewhere along Skyline Dr once we started heading south. I waited around while the rest of the group decided where they wanted to camp. I suggested they cut through Luray and camp on Skyline but the decision was made that they would be camping at Camp Roosevelt. We agreed to split up with me continuing the route and meeting them at camp later that night. I continued on but due to downed trees and power lines on Stoney Creek Rd (headed into Edinburg) I decided to pack it in as well and head for camp. I sent Dave a text letting him know I'd be at camp about 8pm. I arrived on time and on the way in I could see the storm that had blown through. I was surprised the group wasn't there but I set up camp while it was still daylight. Camp Roosevelt is tiny, only 10 camp sights and is not managed so there was no one there at all. About 8:45 I walked around a bit and started seeing what had to be bear tracks in the loose gravel that was the tent pads. You could see where it (or they) would come out of the forest, cut across the campsites and head over to where the trash cans were. Seeing this and not knowing where my crew was I sent Dave a text letting him know I was headed into Luray for a Hotel. At this point it's dark and while Luray is only 5 miles as the crow flies, it took me 15-20 mines of riding down the side of a mountain in the dark to get there.

Looking down into Luray, VA:

At first I checked into the Budget Inn in town but left immediately due to sheets that weren't clean. I knew I was taking a chance but even I have standards so I ended up at the Best Western. At this point I'm a little worried for my group as I know they have a map but no GPS and weren't likely in cell service. My biggest concern was Dave's wheel bearings locking up and him going down. I fired off a few more texts and calls to he and Bob with no luck and eventually crashed for the night after washing my socks and underwear in the hotel sink. For humanity's sake I hope they cleaned it with bleach. 200+ miles were done this day.

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511

turtlemoye screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 08:48 AM
Old 07-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 4 will be posted soon.

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
Old 07-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Thanks for this great write up Turtle. Looking forward to the next day.
thebugslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 4, Thurs 6/26

I finally got a text from Dave about 9:30am and he said they had ridden over to Skyline and headed south till they hit the first campground. They had already gotten up and were a couple hours down the road. I've got to admit I was pretty pissed that I had gotten ditched, especially since what they ended up doing was what I had been suggesting all along. I mean I know that cell service is really hard to come by but I was still mad that they hadn't made more of an effort to let me know without taking off. I called my wife and let her know I'd be headed home and would only be riding Skyline Dr & the BRP without hitting any of the fun stuff on the way down. I eventually rolled out of Luray about 11am.

I ponied up the $10 and hit Skyline Dr where it intersects with HWY 211. It's a nice ride and I managed to do 45mph instead of the posted 35mph without any issue. I did get lucky and see another bear on the side of the road and actually had time to snap a few pics.

I stopped for gas and lunch in Waynesboro and when I did I had received another text from Dave explaining that they couldn't find the rendezvous point in the rain and decided to keep going until they could find a dry camp to set up at. Additionally Anthony had made the decision to not camp with them and had headed down to Waynesboro in search of a hotel himself and we were the only ones who hadn't exchanged phone #s. Phew, and all this time I was wondering what I had done to get ditched when it was just a lack of communication. I must say this boosted my spirits and I decided to stick to the original plan and play on the sections off of the BRP.

I hit Shoe Creek and had a blast. I must say I thought this was certainly one of the hardest sections and if you don't have a skid plate on your bike you have no business being in there. It was slow, super rocky riding and this was the very first time I wished I was on my smaller bike. The Terra handled it well but at 400+ pounds loaded down I was feeling every ounce of the weight as I carefully weaved back and forth through rock gardens. Of course the fatigue of the previous 4 days was also a factor.

This ledge was much larger and steeper than it looks:

As I came out of Shoe Creek the FS road actually goes right past someones home and they kind of use it as their driveway. I could see the father and son out in the yard so I was going very slow not to kick up much dust when I see their little dog run up on my left side. I speed up just enough to get away from the little dog when I noticed the father yelling my direction. I look around and see their German Sheppard on the other side who was running right beside my right leg. He kept up with me till I hit about 30mph. He didn't appear aggressive but had we made contact it wouldn't have gone well for either of us so use caution if in that area.

The route continues to another forest road for a while when I notice there is a waterfall off to my right. I get off the bike and realize that the sole of my inexpensive Fox MX boot is falling off. I had noticed the glue holding it on was starting to loosen but now it was flopping around. Hum, how to fix this one. Not bad if I say so myself.

I cut the ends of the zip ties off and they were almost as good as new. Well at least good enough to continue. Oh yeah, the waterfall. 1st pic is the upper section, 2nd is mid way down looking back at the upper, and the 3rd is the looking down at the lower section. I didn't see any easy trail to get to the bottom.

At this point it's about 4pm and I really want to keep going, camp for the night, and finish up the route tomorrow. However I'd already told the wife I would be home in a few hours and I didn't have enough zip ties to take my boot off for the night and redo the repair the next morning so I called the trip. I took HWY 60 into Amherst and picked up HWY 29. Thankfully I ran up on a guy from PA on a Buell (tag was DURTY) and we did 75-80mph all the way to Greensboro where I jumped off.

All and all a great trip and despite all the issues and delays we had I hold nothing against my trip partners and would ride with them again any day of the week. Truthfully we should have planned it out a little better as far as when and where to camp. I'm sure I'll think of a few more things to add and post a few more pics below.

Obviously a heart felt thank you goes out to ErrorCooled for putting this together and sharing it with us all. I am very thankful I was able to get the files before he stops sending them out but I completely understand why he would stop doing so. Thank you for making it to the end, hopefully it was worth reading.

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511

turtlemoye screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 03:31 PM
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Excess photo dump

Extra pics:

Bob napping on along the BRP on Thursday

My view standing:

Accidental selfie:

Reddish Knob:

On Iron Mtn. It was so hot and we were moving so slow I ended up taking my jacket off and just riding in a tee shirt. I don't recommend it for safety reasons.

Anthony's view of my backside for most of the ride:

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
turtlemoye OP
Studly Adventurer

Also one of the best moments was the first night realizing that the tent Bob (aprox 6') borrowed was made for someone about 5' tall.

2013 Husky Terra

2013 Husky TE 511
Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,163
Awesome - thanks for the pics and sharing. Glad the TR650 made it - seems like an awesome bike.
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,943

Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing. Pretty cool to see a bobcat & bears.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote