Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
The trip my employer doesnt want to know about!

I've spent the last year in the Denver area working with a Fertilizer Trading company. Excellent Job, AWFUL work environment. I've taken some time off and thought a trip would give me sometime to clear my thoughts.

On to the good stuff...

The plan is to leave Monday morning with a returning on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. Depends on the ride and my wife of course.

Lets go camping!!! Hiking, Twisties and hopefully some dirt along the way!
I'm a novice in the dirt though. Had a great experience at the WHITE RIM TRAIL. Crashed.... spent the next hour in 90 degree heat picking the bike up and then watching it fall over again on steep downhill. It was a learning experience but still a lot of fun.

The route I've made is on mostly twisties when I couldn't avoid it some HWY miles. with the hopes of finding some fire roads along the way! More to come tomorrow.

The route one way.....

ukturfrocks screwed with this post 09-12-2014 at 10:29 PM
ukturfrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To give you some background on my riding past!

I started on sport bikes doing a track day here and there but never made much of it since I was never going to risk my life racing. Or was I fast enough!!
I then got on board with a triumph sprint and went cross country from KY to Moab on an Iron Butt ride. Ended up riding 4800 miles in 8 days. I was hooked. I had never been out west before and it blew my mind.
Since that trip I have done anything I could to move to the area to be closer to National Parks and well the views PERIOD.

I have an extensive background in Agronomy (growing grass/ chemicals and fertilizer) I sold chemicals for 5 years in Kentucky to golf courses and enjoyed every second of it. An opportunity to move to Denver area came about making substantially more dough and a new market with a Fertilizer trading company. I enjoy the job but work in a very hostile environment. NOT FOR ME at all. My mom always taught me no one was better than anybody and to express myself if I felt I was being treated unfairly.

Fast forward to today. I have been very successful with my sales with the trading company in Denver but Im known as the trouble maker because management tends to lose focus on customers and the people that bring in revenue. I had been looking for jobs left and right to find something better and it has shown in my attitude at work. (my fault yes) More or less I have taken a 30 day leave to regroup and hopefully find other opportunities elsewhere.

Now thats over with Lets get to the good stuff.

In Ky I worked for the MSF for extra income and to help out those that needed it. Love the job for what it was. Those that know the money isnt why we do it. I'm ATGATT all the time. HOT or COLD. but dont preach to others because its their decision.

Ive got til the 22nd of the month until I need to get back at it so with permission from the wife I'm going on trip. I dont really have any firm plans just a route and some me time. Riding solo is a lot of fun for me. I've always got the urge to gooooo and have no issues with 800 mile days as long as the my bum can take it.

The packing list:
as you can see above.
Kealty 2 person tent 1 man isnt enough for my gear.
40 degree mummy bag MArmot
REI camping chair
Jet boil FLash stove
2 under armour tights (I dont ride with pants or shorts on underneath my riding pants,.
3 underamour shirts
hiking shorts and pants
2 t shirts
5 pairs of socks
Germ x wipes ( GERMS gotta wash off the day somehow)
various t handles and tools.
Slime pump (it sucks but does the job)
Tire patch kit

Schuberth with comm system. (LOve this lid it even comes with its own branding system on your forhead after a long wear.)
First Gear water proof pants with liner ( great pants cant beat em for the money)
Olyimpia riding jacket with 2 liners ( okay jacket i got a steal on it and couldnt pass it up) I'm a big KLIM fan but just cant spend the money when I want other important items.
Sidi Crossfire 2 boots. ( took a bit to get used to but man does SIDI make some comfy boots) Heavy yes but cant beat the protection
Teva sandles for shower time if able ( Yeah im a germ guy)
Addidas trail runners ( the BEST shoe I ever bought these things a my hiking shoes and they have ultimate grip with comfort over boots)
Old 09-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is my first RR and bound to be long and a learning experience.

For electronics Im using....

Garmin Zumo 665 I believe the one with radar and XM (big waste of money in my opinion cause I dont avoid weather or listen to XM anymore.)

IPad Air with Logitech bluetooth keyboard equipped with Verizon data package.
Ill be jamming via bluetooth with this (Pandora and Itunes) Pandora is amazing by the way. Free radio with nothing but AWESOME JAMS.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My trusty steed...

09 Vstrom 650

I picked this lovely thing up in Pennsylvania and its been a champ from day one.
ITs been all over the country the White Rim TRail ( epic fail on my part)
Back of the dragon ( amazing road that doesnt get a lot of attention due the tail of the dragon being so close) and beyond!!
Equipped with Madstad bracket ( amazing ZERO Buffeting)
Old Corbin seat I picked up for 98 dollars on the strom forum.
Trax side and top cases ( Gotta have room the junk I'll never use)

Heidenau k60's front and rear. The front has atleast 12,000 miles on it and the rear about 7. The front is in need of replacement but it will do.
These are great tires stick well and serve there purpose for me in the dirt (which isnt much at the moment)
Givi crash bars ( these really do there job well
A shitty plastic skid plate. ( it was on the bike when I bought it from a fellow member on ADV)

Sorry for all the text but a story must be told.

I still havent gotten my route home planned yet and I'm not sure which way to go North to Death Valley and head east from there orrrrr. South thru the flagstaff, AZ area and then up north. I need to avoid Interstates as much as possible. This kills a ride unless your in a hurry and with mediocre dirt skills and flying solo I dont want to take the dirt route home.

SUGGESTIONS!!!

Thats it for know gents gotta finish packing and pre ride checks!

Thank you in advance for the replies and responses
Old 09-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

its not a trip without a going way shin ding. Above was the host for the evening with smores and beer margarita's! I had WAYYYYY to much and spent today with a solid hangover. Demanding PIZZA and tater tots for breakfast.

After the bike was prepped it was time for dinner and on the menu this evening ........

Leaving in the morning after a run with the dog and a hearty breakfast!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
kaylorinhi
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 39
long way home

If you make it down as far as the California high desert hit me up, Joshua Tree National Park is as beautiful as they say.

"What will your life look like when it flashes before your eyes?"
kaylorinhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Im going to try and swing that direction. Tomorrow will set the pace for me! Ive got 10 hours planned to ride. Leaving at 630 am
Old 09-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ite's been a fantastic day so far. A little chilly going up the thru the mountains but nothing I couldnt hndle. Traffic has been amazing with no one really to hold things up.

Im a big scenic guy and want to stop and take pictures every turn but it begins to be a pain getting in the top box for the ipad or camera. I sit in gunnison as we speak eating lunch. I thought I was being smart when I got some tortillias to save sapce and make a penut butter sandwich. This shits awful!!

A few pictures for your enjoyment.

The bike loaded.

My nasty ass lunch

The famous shuberth helmet hair part! I alway forget why people look at me strange when I take it off.

This was close to where I started this morning. I could have asked for a better road to begin the day!

Great mountain views just outside of Beuna Vista.

This family had wayyyy to much money!

Really great colors!

Im about 5 hours from 4 corners moument and my goal is to camp in the area tonight! This would really put me on track to reach Death Valley and still have a marriage when I get back!! JK
Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukturfrocks View Post
Im going to try and swing that direction. Tomorrow will set the pace for me! Ive got 10 hours planned to ride. Leaving at 630 am
Make it out here and me and Kaylor might be able to take a jaunt through the park with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

with high hopes of making it to the four corners monument. I got side tracked by a national park that I had never heard of before. This being Black Canyon National Park. Small park with a similar set up to the Grand Canyon with a north and south rim. The north being the most primitive of the parks.
$7 bucks got me in the door and off I went to explore something new to me.

The road is a twisty one with 2 options go to down to the gunnison river or stay up top and see the view for miles. I chose both of course. I ended up spending most of the later afternoon here and decided to camp for the night in the park.
Dinner tonight was much better than lunch I will say. 2 cups water courtesy from the vistor center some noodles and canned chicken with a chicken salt cube thing my wife told me throw in for some flavor. I was soo hungry I burn the shit outta my tongue. Pretty tastey and simple.

ZERO CAFFINE today to. Im not a coffee guy but I do like atleast a half of a soda with a good dip in. I cant really feel the difference and dont hve a headache from withdrawls.

I can get the amazing twisties today out of my head. I catch myself with a shit eatin grin does from the reliving the turns again. I was a great day for sure.

Tomorrow 4 corners monument and then a high tailing up to capital reef!!

more to follow with pictures as soon as get to where Im going. hwy 550 is killer!!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Same goes with last night. no pictures due to lack of service and no wifi.

Im currently camped out at lake powell. Today was a super long and fantastic day. Since I was originall behind although I dont have a schedule i wanted to make up time today but didnt acheive that at all. I saw a sign for Mesa verde and couldnt resist. Fanatastic peice of history and not a bad road ta boot.

With me going in the off season traffic has been minimal. and the twisties plenty.

COlorado seemed to never end and then finally it was the four corners. I was exhausted by that point and just took a picture of the signage out front turn around and looked for a camping spot.

The area around four corners was not what I was expecting. Glass, bottles every where. trash, it was unbelieveable really. So I high tailed it looking for the best possible camping area and ended up here at lake powell. Tomorrow I will be riding the ferry and on to capitol reef. Pictures tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #13
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

noted from yesterday and this morning that I can finally load!!

Hauling ass to lake powell meant 2 things I had to catch the ferry at all costs in the morning unless I hang out in a town population of 15 at the most. The local store closed at 6 the night before and opened at 8 the next morning.

The ferry also left at 8. I was awakened this morning by yet another lovely RV running his generator so MAW can take a warm shower before there day of Fishin.

I wake up call the wife (which I miss dearly and hope one day she will be able to come along on her own bike) Look at the time and then its a rush to pack everything and get to the ferry before it leaves without me.
7:56 a.m. I start the bike up put my gear on and ignore the 25 mph speed limit signs. As I roll up the ferry is taking off with no one on board but the skipper and his first mate Davey. (I dont know their names or their titles)

They pull the boat back on to the loading dock and I ride aboard! Super excited this worked out for me. Although 2 days without caffeine has finally caught up with me. The headaches are brutal and I can think of nothing but a soda with cheeseburger and fries with ranch dressing. Yeah I know 2 days out on the road eating out of the bike what a wennie. Ive got it better than most im sure but its tough to pass on a 1000 calorie meal loaded down with extra cheese and bacon. Did I mention i havent eaten breakfast yet either.

So as I type these notes due to lack of service AGAIN. Im sitting on a boat. (Another first for the vstrom and myself together)
Majority of my electronics need to be charged.
Im hungry for some fatty foods.
But life could not be better at teh moment. We all take things for granted and I for one am guilty of that but at this moment I appreciate what I have and thats a moto a loving wife and the ability to be touring the small section of country known as colorado and utah.

Yeah yeah im writing a book but it helps to subside the headache and the hunger this morning.
Pics are coming Correction THEY ARE HERE!!!

HWY 550 [I]S AMazing for a paved service. Being from the east I always thought we had the best roads and now I stand corrected. but im a dumbass!

The veiw last night from the campsite.

Love this pic! The lonely rider on a boat!

Then I hit some dirt loking stuff. It was fairly hard packed and a lot of fun

Mesa Verde from yesterday as well! History is cool!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #14
ukturfrocks OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To end the today

Im riding along and find a gas station and see 3 GS's sitting around taking a break from the day. i fuel up and have a chat with 3 guys (2 from Cali and the other from Hoover Dam area) They had been doing a mixture of dirt and pavement (mostly dirt) all week and were making their way home.

I explained my goals and then they suggested a few different routes for me to take on my way to Bryce Canyon. I forgot all of it though except one trail and it was BURR trail. ( I think thats the name)

Well anyway it was 75 miles total half dirt half pavement and a very fast paced road. This went thru Capitol Reef National Park. More or Less I went thru capitol Reef then to hwy 12 and hit Burr triail (Im stickfing with the name) and ended up right back at the beginning of Capitol Reef. I could do hwy 12 again but decided best to head back towards home. I hear its flooding in the hoover dam arizona area??

Tonight Im chilling in a hotel drinking some brew and having some fried goodness!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 AM   #15
WaydeO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Good to see another turfie on here ( Im GCS ) .
Fertiliser and chemical business must be a tough gig everywhere , got a few mates and ex crew in that game here in Oz , most enjoy it (no weekend work cutting greens at 4.00am), all say the expectations are set pretty high.
Thanks for the report.
Yours in Grass , WaydeO
WaydeO is offline   Reply With Quote