Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Kt-88 OP
I like everything.

Oddometer: 838
Unseasonably warm? Better ride around the Great Salt Lake.

A few weeks ago I finished the assembly of a 73 r60/5. It's been unusually warm in the Salt Lake area this year and I've gotten to put around 250 shakedown miles on it; generally short 30 mile bursts, then fix/adjust, repeat.

This Friday was going to be different. Due to a brain surgery I have been home from work for two months, but this Tuesday I will return. To celebrate recovery and the endless cycle of toil beginning again, I thought it was time to take the bike out and actually use it as the Teutonic gods intended.

My buddy Chris (who goes by Codfish33 on here) decided we would attempt a ride I've always wanted to do but has been too much of a time commitment for our wives and toddler filled lives to squeeze in. I think I got special dispensation because of the circumstances.

We wanted to ride around the Great Salt Lake. To do it, we would meet in Alpine, UT at 6 AM, under the hopes to be on the way home by sundown. Here's the night-before packed-bike pic:

Update soon, as I write it all out.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Beautiful /5.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Kt-88 OP
I like everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
Beautiful /5.

Thanks. I treat it like it isn't but then obsess over it at home.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Kt-88 OP
I like everything.

Unseasonably warm? Better ride around the Great Salt Lake.

The start of the day came entirely too soon. I was supposed to meet Chris at 6; instead I pulled out at 6:04.

It wasn't exactly warm. I was layered and wearing winter gear, but I don't have anything heated. It took a whole 20 minutes or so to get to the gas station, making me officially the late jerk to the party.

Chris was kind about it. We took the slow roads out to Tooele, stopping halfway to thaw. Maybe we are sissies, but it was actually cold enough to hurt.

Chris was riding his wife's Duke, which is faster at everything than the r60. His doesn't come with foot warmers, however.

After a good amount of road riding we arrived in Tooele, where our adventure was actually supposed to begin. This was a full two hours after departure- running a bit behind schedule.

That's the last gas station picture, I promise.

Now came the part of finding where to get off the beaten path and get onto a desert road that would take us west and north around the southern part of the lake.

Kt-88 screwed with this post 02-14-2015 at 01:28 PM
Old 02-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Kt-88 OP
I like everything.

Our first ventures onto frontage roads didn't yield much. Our map reading wasn't too great, as lots of what we thought were roads were in fact railroad property and we couldn't go there. Whoops.

Visually scouting helped.

Soon enough we were on a road frequented only by semis going to some sort of refinery. After some last-shred-of-data-service mapping, we began our divergence onto the dirt. Truly a fantastic feeling.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
mkitchen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Sounds like a good trip

Wow, two very different bikes. Your BMW looks great and I am impressed that you actually take it out. Way to go!
Now on with the story.
Mikey
mkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
Kt-88 OP
I like everything.

At this point I noticed how much of a good rider Chris really is. We were keeping up a great pace on the gravel/hardpack mix, but I'd have to dump a bunch of speed before gravel turns, where he would take the 100% street- tread tires on the Duke and effectively pitch it a bit sideways. Looked great from miles behind.

One of my bag mount racks lost a nut, so we stopped and enacted the venerated trail-side zip tie repair.

We ran through Dugway Proving Grounds and were greeted with some VERY SERIOUS signage. Here's me photobombing Chris' attempt at picturing one. Timing must have been perfect as I was moving at around 10.

A few miles past the end of the SERIOUS road area, I saw a mountain with a mostly passable looking trail to the summit. It was a bad idea, but I very much live for those.

I got about 95% to the top, ran into some baby head type stuff, parked it on a rock, and walked to the top.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
It was a bad idea, but I very much live for those.
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Kt-88 OP
I like everything.

Chris really didn't want to help pick up the heavy BMW on the hill so he just rode it to the top. I pushed at the same time, as apparently momentum helps when you have a 450lb+ bike and street tires on that surface and an incline. All went well, and the ride down the mountain was uneventful.

By this time it had warmed up some. We saw a cowboy on a horse with his dog following keeping tabs on livestock out there- and trust me, by this point, we were OUT there. Long trip on a horse.

At this point pictures get a bit sparse. Our intended road was underwater. There wasn't salt to cross. We aimed for the best road we saw and it turned out to be the railroad causeway across the lake.

The gopro slipped down, making the most surreal and memorable moment of the ride mostly uncaptured. Imagine, though, speeding at 60+ across a dirt path seemingly suspended above a pale blue lake, itself mirroring the surrounding mountains, with no tangible end. I won't forget that for the rest of my life.

Unfortunately we were now pretty thoroughly lost. We had never planned going here; we weren't sure where here was. The causeway rejoined land after a good number of aquatic miles, but there was no civilization where it came ashore.

We pulled over to get our bearings. With a shred of service we figured we were in the middle of Promontory Point, about sixty miles or so from the nearest gas station.
We didn't know the true range of the Duke, but 200 seemed right- and we had done 120 ish since the last fill up.

Fortunately, Promontory has GLORIOUS roads.

We saw no traffic and very little time below the point at which my speedo ceases to be relevant. A fairly Zen moment of spirited riding, coupled with excellent road condition.

That road led here:

We didn't go visit Golden Spike for fear of running out of gas on the Duke. Instead, we casually rolled into the town of Corinne, UT, where we were greeted by the nicest general store/gas station/farm store/pizzaria on the continent. Great place. A woman wearing a Fire Department hoodie was there with a large iguana on her shoulder. Good people, that's what I'm getting at.

The remainder was boring as we rode 15 back home, but all in all, we did 318 miles (according to Google). Not bad for a shakedown, and next time I go it will be late summer so the path around is dry all the way.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #10
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Great story on a fantastic motorcycle! Glad to see you using the old thing and glad to hear you are on the mend
Old 03-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #11
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,840
great rr

lovely looking airhead

thanks for posting
Old 03-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #12
immelspin
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I know I'm a month late, but the picture of you up on the railroad tower with your helmet on made me laugh.
immelspin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #13
Kt-88 OP
I like everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immelspin View Post
I know I'm a month late, but the picture of you up on the railroad tower with your helmet on made me laugh.

That's actually pretty funny. Channeling the Stig.