User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Eureka690 OP
Urban Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Superb Owl Sunday - California Coast: Leggett to Morro Bay

This is an old trip from before I was a member here. I've been lurking a few ride reports lately and realized how proud of this one I am. I made it for coworkers and friends, but it's quite bike oriented as you'll see, so I thought it to be a natural fit here.

Every year I try to take advantage of Superb Owl Sunday. I don't care about football in the slightest, and discovered years ago that everyone else does. You'd probably never know it but a few of us, one day a year, find empty amusement parks, empty golf courses, and empty, empty roads. I made plans to leave Saturday morning and return Monday. A quick check of the weather Thursday night showed 50% chance of rain Sunday (my biggest riding day) so I changed my plans in my sleep Friday around 4am, loaded the bike into the truck and got the hell out of dodge just after dawn.

For those who like a little back story: I'm from San Diego and looked far and wide for a 690. I almost bought a '13 Enduro from my local dealer, but the salesman never said anything but MSRP, so I kept looking farther and farther, eventually finding my SMC in Eureka, CA. I drove up and took the 1 North from San Francisco for a while since I'd never seen much of the coast there. After a half day of driving I realized I was supposed to be picking up a bike! Losing daylight, I stopped to get directions back to the 101. The lady at Stewarts Point Store told me about Skaggs Road. It was the twistiest, most amazing road I'd ever been on - surely the supermoto god's road. I vowed then and there to return on my 690, since dubbed Eureka. This trip was my faithful return, less than a year later.

I left San Diego at 5:30am which means I missed the majority of LA traffic with the exception of 5 minutes in The Valley for this.

I made it to San Francisco in about 7 hours and wasted little time getting my bike unloaded in the garage at the hotel.

My goal was to make it to Point Reyes by sunset. It was easy work on twisty roads in rush hour traffic riding a motard.

I had an hour to explore the vast peninsula. This dune was unique to the ridgeline, but there was a desert down on the beach.

I'd rediscovered Lagunitas IPA on my last visit to the area and resolved to visit the taproom if I was ever in the neighborhood.

The next morning I started my ride not too far from Lake Sonoma. From here it's an hour and a half to the coast.

...on one of the twistiest roads I've ever known. I did it in under an hour, including a couple stops like this.

The first leg came to an end at the place that inspired so much of this trip. Hwy 1 @ Skaggs Spring Stewarts Point Road.

I picked up right where I left off last Spring and headed north up the 1.

Clear skies and amazing views are around every bend. Especially when you can roll right up walking paths ;)

Like Point Arena, most places were just how I'd hoped: dead quiet.

...which meant there was ample parking everywhere I went.

I stopped in Fort Bragg for vittles and got the most unexpectedly amazing meal of the trip at Sea Pal Cove.

Gigantic, batter-fried prawns and craft beer while overlooking a small harbor of fishing boats.

Then on to the northernmost point of the trip: Leggett, CA - famous for a hole in a tree.

The next day I awoke to rainy skies and wet hills so I skipped town after breakfast.

As I headed out of The Peninsula I spotted a strange structure up on a hill overlooking the ocean. I decided to investigate.

30 seconds of four wheel high and I was no closer to understanding what I'd seen. I later found out it was an old WWII pillbox.

I'd have known sooner had I only walked around front. Regardless, the views were unreal from the point at Devil's Slide.

I made a quick stop at Pigeon Point to see the third of four lighthouses on my trip.

I got a decent photo of this seagull at a waterfowl preserve.

Then, I got this contrasting shot of the powerplant 1,000 yards away.

And then, on my way through a creek bed down to the beach I caught the luckiest moment of the trip.

Finally, the beach at Big Sur.

It's called Pfeiffer Beach and it's one of a kind.

My visit was during one of the scarce moments on Sunday when somebody pressed pause on the clouds and rain.

And somehow, a scene was set for completely unrealistic looking photos...

...that were left completely alone - not even a crop.

I stopped to look down at this cove, and noticed the Big Creek Bridge from afar.

And before dark, I made it to the Rain Rocks Rock Shed - completed just last month.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Super Bowl Sunday.....now I understand. Nice trip and pics.
2002 KTM 400 Off Road
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
mkitchen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Always been one of my favorite days to ride

Kingman becomes a ghost town on that Sunday and I love it. I had to laugh at you picture of the Lagunitas brewery. I was bicycling down the coast from OR to Santa Barbara and set me heart on ending one day at Lugunitas so I could see the brewery that made one of my favorite IPA's. So after a long ride, I arrive in Lagunitas and ask where the Brewery is and find that it is not in Lagunitas at all. But at least the small store had some nice craft beers and the night was well celebrated regardless. If I remember right, the Lagunitas Brewery is actually in Petaluma. Who would have thought, eh?
Great area to travel and I am enjoying your thread.
Mikey
mkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Eureka690 OP
Urban Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Thanks guys. That's it for pics but I'll be throwing in a ride/drive map before too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkitchen View Post
If I remember right, the Lagunitas Brewery is actually in Petaluma.
Mikey
That's hilarious! It is in Petaluma, and it's nowhere near anything there. Strange but delicious.