Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #151
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
How is the price disappointing given what you get for that?
The problem is I dont want much of what they are providing. I dont want to pay for gizmo for which I have no use.

A Lamborgini is a lot of car for the money, you certain get a lot. but it still costs more than I want to spend.
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #152
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
2013 black triumph trophy

triumph will sell thousands of new 2013 trophies . i will buy one as soon as possible . my manhattan dealer will paint mine all glossy black . triumph really should be offering a black version along with silver and blue . anyhow i will let the excellent paint pros turn mine into a glossy black touring machine that will be as good if not better than the bmw touring bikes . this bike will travel the world . triumph has done it again . 20 grand is a little steep but one gets what one pays for .
doggrell3000
new york ny
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #153
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
First impression from Moto Review - and no, i don't speak French..

http://www.moto-station.com/article1...-r1200rt-.html
I do speak French, but after another 14 hour day, I'm too exhausted to translate everything now, as I'm struggling with English, let alone la belle langue.

Suffice it to say, they think the Trophy is well built, with an excellent engine, transmission and brakes. They like the comfort of the saddle and the protection against the elements, though they did note buffeting over 62mph for some of their taller riders, minor, but it's there.

They say that the buttons are a bit fiddly for the radio, and they note that the hazard switch is on the dash, instead of the bar. (IIRC, isn't it a Euro thing where the hazards have to come on automatically under hard braking?) They note that it's quite top-heavy, and much more so than the RT, but only at low speed. Once underway, they rate handling as excellent and made mention that the tyres were of good quality.

That pretty much sums it up.

Nice bike, has to be said. But for this kind of money, I think a Concours 14, an FJR, or a Norge will do me just fine.
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #154
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTraveler View Post
Considering how residuals have been on used Triumphs (at least in the Northeastern U.S.) I'd have to give this a major thumbs down. For $15k, sure, but at this price, I'd rather plunk down an extra 2k or so and just buy the BMW.

Or, better yet, pick up a Concours 14 AND a used KLR for this price, and still have a little left over for some farkles.
I couldn't agree more. 19k That is steep IMO when you could get 2 bikes for the price of one. The RT has earned a reputation and has proven that it can pull that sort of price. Triumph has only had the Sprint which to my knowledge didn't sell that great.
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #155
kwh
Fat Hairy Git

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
so...... new triumph, new concours or new BMW1600 gt?

Money no object. Which would you buy?

Im worried about the triumph only being 3 cylinders and maybe buzzy. I like my 2009 FJR, just need a little better touring bike.
The GTR1400 just doesn't have enough toys to justify its weight and size. It doesn't really do anything that the FJR doesn't, trick keyless ignition not withstanding. I ride a K1200GT SE, and I love it. I was a huge fan of the K1300GT SE as a potential replacement for my K1200. I was also in love with the idea of a six pot bike, and I took one out for a test ride. In many ways the K1600GT is a tour de force but it's not a replacement for the K1300 - it's too heavy and unweildy. Dynamically it's a huge, a vast improvement on the old K1200LT, chalk and cheese to that, and the engine really is nice, but BMW cancelled a better bike for one-up luxury sport Grand Touring (that's Grand Touring in the Aston Martin stylee) in order to boost sales of the big 'un. I think all they will actually do is boost sales of the new Trophy. I love Triumph Triples - I've owned four of them now, currently rocking a Street Triple 675 for scratching duties, and there is no engine configuration that works better for me. The combination of a wall of torque from nowhere to the redline, a howling top end and bags of character stuffs every other engine configuration in my humble opinion. The BMW six pot engine would be lovely if it didn't apparently weigh a tonne...
kwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 AM   #156
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Agree with all you say. Test rode a K13GT and was blown away by how fast and fun it was. Figured the K16GT would be even better - but was underwhelmed by it.
The Trophy could be a worthy fun GT.

Visordown initial test sounds good.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...iew/21357.html
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #157
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Theyre saying about $27k for OZ!...and our Dollar is now mostly on parity with yours,lately...
Sit back and pickup a low miles one in a few years for about half that...
Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #158
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

It'll be interesting if the rumour's of a new FJR come to fruition. Hey - we might even see a new Pan Euro - or am i just being silly..
Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #159
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
It'll be interesting if the rumour's of a new FJR come to fruition. Hey - we might even see a new Pan Euro - or am i just being silly..
I'm really looking forward to seeing the new FJR and STxx00. Both of the current models are getting a little long in the tooth, so even a minor refresh would be welcome at this point.

It is a shame, though, that the pricing has been going up more and more, brought on mostly by all the add-ons that seem to be standard.
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #160
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
I wouldn't mind an FJR with the narrower, lighter, 6-spd Super Tenere motor...
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #161
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,937
er...how about this....lighter,heaps of uses...
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2012/09...r-explorer-xc/
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #162
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wouldn't mind an FJR with the narrower, lighter, 6-spd Super Tenere motor...
A TDM 1200 with 17 inch wheels would be good..
Old 09-10-2012, 01:27 AM   #163
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Kev Ash review..

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/triumph-trophy-review
Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #164
sleepyOwl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post

triumph will sell thousands of new 2013 trophies . i will buy one as soon as possible . my manhattan dealer will paint mine all glossy black . triumph really should be offering a black version along with silver and blue . anyhow i will let the excellent paint pros turn mine into a glossy black touring machine that will be as good if not better than the bmw touring bikes . this bike will travel the world . triumph has done it again . 20 grand is a little steep but one gets what one pays for .
doggrell3000
new york ny
The lack of black is strange given the earlier "spy shots"

sleepyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #165
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Agree with all you say. Test rode a K13GT and was blown away by how fast and fun it was. Figured the K16GT would be even better - but was underwhelmed by it.
I thought the same thing when I test-rode the K16GTL. Cramped riding position, tepid low-end power. The K13 was a far better bike imo.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote