User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 2,130
The Weekend Warlord.

About a month ago I bought myself a 950 Super Enduro. It involved some financially unwise decision, some begging, a lot of scraping and a one way ticket before I had all the money together. By the skin of my teeth, after a bunch of things fell through, scraped together just enough to get the bike and be able to ride it home. I flew out from Atlanta the morning of the 14th met the PO at a small airport in San Angelo and started burning home. So here goes.

The previous owner was very helpful and let me send all of my riding and camping gear to him in the mail. I got on the plane in shorts, a tee shirt, flip flops and sun glasses with a small back pack with some of my electronics and a change of under. I was really hoping he would show up to the airport.

After gearing up and packing all of my gear I made it about 30 miles before peeing myself (see puddle next to kick stand) out of sheer terror and glee. This bike punched overkill in the face an laughed!

Somewhere between San Angelo and Houston I saw this cool little dam and the dirt and decided to stop for a quick pic.

I made it to Houston later that night and crashed at an inmates place that I know from the XRL thread. We went out and met up with a girl who is riding a Vespa around the states and had some beers. I slept like a rock later that night.

Day 2: Louisiana

I decided to take the gulf coast back and kept seeing gravel roads that just went straight out into gulf. All of them were gated except this one and it had a fan boat. But more importantly it had a Chevy 572 big block fan boat. I really wanted to go for a ride but there was no in site so I hadt to settle for pictures.

I got out to the end of the road witch was made with gravel then boards stacked on top and found a pretty big open sand plane.

On the way back this poor little bugger underestimated the Big Orange Terrorists speed and paid the price. 100 mph on gravel is pretty quick.

alvincullumyork screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 08:59 AM
alvincullumyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

At the end of day 2 I was rolling into Mississippi and it started to pour. I got soak but it was a least warm. I stopped for dinner and waited out the worst of the storm for about an hour leaving big puddles of water everywhere I went in the restaurant. After the worst had past I jumped back on the bike and head for campground. I was supposed to meet up with a friend from Atlanta at the campground but when I rolled in at 9 pm I couldn't get a hold of him and was feeling pretty miserable from being soaked and riding through a never ending drizzle. I decided to just setup my tent and try and sleep. I have a very small one man tent for back packing and put it up as fast as I could to try and keep it as dry as possible. I did alright but I didn't have room for most of my riding gear so it sat in the vestibule and didn't really dry out. Once inside I stripped down to my shorts and started looking for my phone but I couldn't find it. I wasn't going back out into the rain so I just settled in for a long muggy windy rainy night.

Day 3:

After a fitful night of sleep morning rolled around and I struggled to get my wet gear on. Once I had that miserable task over with I set out looking for my phone. I went over to the check in desk to see if someone had found it and turned it in but they weren't open. Then I traced everywhere I had in the camp the night before scouring around to no avail. After all that I went to see if I could find my friend. The day before he had told me he hadn't brought any camping gear so I circled around to where the rental cabins were and sure enough there was his F800GS. If I had just ridden another 1/4 mile around the camp ground the night before I could have slept on a bed in a nice warm dry cabin. ARGHHH.

We talked for a bit and planned out our route for the day and then went looking for my phone. We stopped at the bait shack at the camp ground and talked with a lady missing a couple to many teeth. She hadn't seen a thing but as we were pulling out she came running out and waved us down. The maintenance man had found it in the morning at the check in desk drive up window, right were I had stopped to call my friend. Do'h.

Phone in tow we headed back for the gulf coast with plans to hit 4 states in one day. We made it into Alabama and as we were crossing over a bridge I saw a giant war ship. I mad a u turn at the other end of the bridge and we played tourist in our moto gear.

That's 2,700 pound of hate right there. It would have been something to see the cruiser fire off a broad side of these.

They had an old diesel sub there to so we walked around there and bumped into this Fred. Fred had served on a similar boat during the Vietnam war. His ship would go out in the North Atlantic and listen to the Soviet boats, surface, then take pictures so we had a catalog of all there boats by sound. His ship wound up being sold to Turkey and part of it was made into a memorial over there. I hope to see it someday.

If you don't like P-51 Mustangs you're are wrong.

Same thing with the SR-71.

The rest of the day was just a long hard grind to get back to Atlanta. We wound up hitting Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, then Georgia and got rained on in three of them.

Once I got home I thought I had blisters on my feet but it wound up being trench foot. Three days of wet boots will do that to you.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.

alvincullumyork screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 09:27 AM
Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

The Super Enduro Rally

I was supposed to meet up with a bunch of other SE for a South East SE rally but The Big Orange Terrorist (BOT) killed the rear knobby I had just spooned on in 24 miles. I had to limp home and spoon on a spare street tire I had laying around and missed the meet up.

Camping at Two Wheels of Suches. This place is pretty amazing. Just show up throw down your tent and join a camp fire and you'll be talking to the best friends you've never met.

I joined a group of guys and went dirt road exploring the next day. Saw a cool water fall an a suspension bridge.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.

alvincullumyork screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 01:01 PM
Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Did a hare scramble on the BOT and won the ADV class. Even had a pretty good battle with a guy on a 200xc

Bent my rear brake all to hell though and had to repair the site glass again. With a dime, JB weld and an aluminium shield it should be good now.

alvincullumyork screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 01:04 PM
Old 06-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

This weekend I made it up to Tennessee for the Coal Creek Dual Sport ride. I did 200 miles of pavement to get there Friday afternoon and waited out a solid storm under a farmers market porch.

alvincullumyork screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 01:06 PM
Old 06-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Day one claimed a turn signal, header tube, and two tubes. I did 100 miles of some pretty solid off road and jeep trails.

alvincullumyork screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 01:07 PM
Old 06-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Day two of Coal Creek I met up with a guy on a 1200GS. Casey wasn't afraid to get his bike dirty or beat on it even though it's a 2014. We even managed to pass several groups, on dirt bikes, how stalled out in some of the water crossings.

We were specifically told to avoid trail 26 but we are adults and no one tells us what to do. An hour and a half later we had conquered the 3/4 mile trail. It got my rear brake pedal and some of my pride but the crazy eyed stares we got when we told people we had done it were priceless.

We made it out and grabbed some lunch and parted ways. Casey is a great guy and it's doubtful I'll ever see him again but it was a blast to see someone truly thrash a 1200GS and take it places that scared off the little two stroke trail bikes.

I had to make it home for work the next day so I started my 200 mile push back on the pavement. 130 miles of some gnarly big bike off road hell had left me a little haggard and one lady passing by me at a rest stop said, "You look Mad Max scary." One of the nicest compliments I've ever received...

What the hell might as well make it a three state day.

Then 8 mile from home I ran into this little gem. four wheeler track running next to the highway for what seemed like forever. It was perfect but I was a little tired and choose some poor lines and wound up dropping the bike twice. Once was right after a creek crossing and my saddle bag pinned my leg down. I couldn't drag it out and for a second I thought I was going to have to call my roommate to come and lift the bike off my leg less than 4 miles from home but I managed to just barely lift the bike off my leg.

alvincullumyork screwed with this post 06-15-2015 at 01:19 PM
Old 06-16-2015, 04:34 AM   #8
themosjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Nice! I admire the journey, and especially the part of the story that involves winning a hair scramble and trail 26. I have a big ass tenere that I just can't imagine riding up stuff that I take my exc on. I picture being air lifted out of the trail when my leg is snapped like that poor bird you crossed paths with. Enjoyed the read. Have you shared this with the previous owner. He should be proud. Glad you got your phone back!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
themosjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 AM   #9
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by themosjohn View Post
Nice! I admire the journey, and especially the part of the story that involves winning a hair scramble and trail 26. I have a big ass tenere that I just can't imagine riding up stuff that I take my exc on. I picture being air lifted out of the trail when my leg is snapped like that poor bird you crossed paths with. Enjoyed the read. Have you shared this with the previous owner. He should be proud. Glad you got your phone back!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
This is just the spark notes of the last month or so. I'm going to try and be more bettterer about the story aspect of my coming rides. I go just about every weekend so I should have a lot of material.

I also have quite a bit of GoPro footage but my computer is being stupid.

I'll send the PO the link. He's an inmate here.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,976
I seen two 690's coming North on I-75 this morning around Cabelas, one wouldn't be you would it? I haven't seen you in town, but I'll keep an eye out for you.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #11
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
I seen two 690's coming North on I-75 this morning around Cabelas, one wouldn't be you would it? I haven't seen you in town, but I'll keep an eye out for you.
690? You mean the little girls version of the 950 Super Enduro? Nope not me.

I probably should have gotten a 690 for what I'm doing but the 950 is stupid fun.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #12
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
690? You mean the little girls version of the 950 Super Enduro? Nope not me.

I probably should have gotten a 690 for what I'm doing but the 950 is stupid fun.

Oh crap, I didn't even see the extra cylinder hidden under all that mud, lol!
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:50 AM   #13
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Took the Bi-polar Serial Killer (KTM 300XC) out this weekend for a ride in mountains. I also have some Super enduro clips but haven't edited them yet.

Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM   #14
alvincullumyork OP
I wish I was cool

Highland Park Harescramble on the Super Enduro.