Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
obso1337 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Why shouldn't I ride a supersport? (a short story)

A good friend of mine was selling his well loved 07 600RR after putting 18k on the clocks since I helped him pick it up at 2k from the first owner. 20k miles on a CBR is kind of nothing if you know that the services were being done regularly, and my friend has been a good steward of his machine, apart from a few track days and their attendant fairing demolitions. My own 07 RR got stolen my first year of grad school and I had been subsisting on a small displacement enduro and a few scooters for several years. I knew I needed to get a real bike back into the flotilla, and specifically that there was no other supersport for me than the 07 / 08 CBR.
obso1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Mknpwr
Have you seen my bike?

Oddometer: 587
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of characters around here, good advice, stories and of course Jo Momma. Post up pictures when you get the bike, videos of your track days and share the fun that is ADVRider.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
obso1337 OP
n00b

We have been buddies since college, and back then we were both located in Philly, but in the intervening time, my friend moved to Denver, and I moved to Hawaii. At the end of my short tenure in Hawaii, I decided that I wasn't going to fly back to the east coast, but that I would fly to Denver, pick up the CBR (which I have named "el toro") and ride back to Philly. This seemed to be an ideal way for me to get the bike, bring it pack to PA to get the title switched to my name, and also enjoy a bit of sport touring on the way back home.

Though the trip would certainly be the longest moto-tour that I have done in one sitting (although I definitely remember riding my old CBR around 500miles in a day) I was not concerned that I would be uncomfortable because I love biking, and I'm generally in good shape. Also, el toro had aftermarket clip-on risers which my friend reported made it even more comfortable than stock. If you have ever ridden the 07+ generation cbr you will know that the original clip ons have a bit if rise to them, and are pretty comfortable to ride on.

obso1337 screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 09:25 AM
Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
obso1337 OP
n00b

After a miserable flight from Honolulu where a poor little kid screamed for 3 of the 5 hours to San Francisco (he must have been really sick or something). I made it out to Denver, got adjusted to the timezone and got ready for my ride back.

I previously had FedEx'd virtually everything I owned back to Philly and was riding only with a backpack with some clothing in it. My friend had one of those adjustable pannier soft packs which clips onto the passenger pillion, and I put my stuff in there to get as low a CoG as possible for the 24ish hours of completely straight road I was going to tackle.

Before leaving, I dumped a grand on a new helmet, boots and gloves, which I rationalized as necessary for safety, and borrowed the alpinestars race suit which I sold to my friend back in the day after my CBR was purloined. The only thing which I was missing, and which I stupidly made no effort to replace was a set of custom silicone earplugs which I purchased a few years ago. I had no idea where they were, and I didn't want to waste a week for a new set to come back from the audiologist. Foolishly, I also didn't get a big stack of orange foam earplugs for the trip either, thinking, since I would only be going the speed limit, the windblast plus engine noise wouldn't be too loud to really damage my hearing.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
obso1337 OP
n00b

1. Everyone out west goes crazy and drives about 80 miles per hour; I gave up my hypermiling ambitions about 10 minutes out of Denver, and decided to just revel in pure unadulterated speed. Happily, even though I think my average moving speed was pretty close to 85, I got around 40 mpg.
2. El toro is more comfortable than a stock CBR, but my god, the saddle density and handle position is still pretty ruinous to your ass after eight hours on it. I eventually had to purchase two memory foam pillows from a walmart outside st louis and that was just to make it bearable.
3. I slept on the floor two nights, the first one was at lake of the ozarks MO, which i diverted to to stay at a friends house, but it was a bit less clean then i was hoping so i slept in his front yard. The second night, I was trying to reach philly all at once, but at about 2am I started feeling a little tired, so I pulled into a truck stop, and laid down next to el toro on the pavement and slept till 8. Race suits make laying on pavement fairly comfortable, and as I mentioned, I had two nice memoryfoam pillows for my head.
4. My mileage breakdown was something like 800 900 300, and I got home by noon on the third day. My neck and upper back were pretty sore, and I had the most serious freaking throttle-claw hand I've ever felt. I was concerned that I gave myself tinnitis from the noise, but the ringing in my ears went away about two days afterward.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
obso1337 OP
n00b

I took away that supersports are pretty great for touring, but for my build/reach I need more cushion on the seat, and even more pullback on the handlebars than the custom risers give. I also will be getting another set of custom earplugs because I don't want to lose my hearing.

With a seat, pullback bars and a cruise control, I think the el toro would be the perfect touring bike.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
obso1337 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mknpwr View Post
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of characters around here, good advice, stories and of course Jo Momma. Post up pictures when you get the bike, videos of your track days and share the fun that is ADVRider.

Thanks for the welcome
Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
I put 100,000 miles on my 1997 CBR900RR. Stock seat, but Heli-bars.
I found that soft luggage side bags made great camouflage. Bright red sportbikes tend to draw attention.
For the hand pressure, I trained myself to support my upper body with my torso rather than leaning on my arms.
Roll your hips back and flex that belly.
You back will be curved rather than flat.
Welcome, and enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obso1337 View Post
I took away that supersports are pretty great for touring, but for my build/reach I need more cushion on the seat, and even more pullback on the handlebars than the custom risers give. I also will be getting another set of custom earplugs because I don't want to lose my hearing.

With a seat, pullback bars and a cruise control, I think the el toro would be the perfect touring bike.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
albany551
n00b

Oddometer: 5
albany551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
Dave W.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Awesome. When I was a youngster in the Navy from time to time I bombed 1,000 miles from Central CA to Seattle (yeah, to see a girl) on a Yamaha R6. I doubt I could handle commuting to the office on one these days!
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote